• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Anyways, for Giaru, I think it should be called Cogear.

smugleaf comes from its leaf on its tail& its smug expression, its a joke & place holder name, just like smugster&smuglord for its evolved formes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
    Pokabu name should be flupig.....
    Bahahah, that would be hilarious, even though it'd be very distasteful of them to joke about that. Too soon, methinks. (:

I agree with keeping Pokabu's name, or, at least, the pronounciation. The fact that I've actually figured out how to say it is amazing since I can't say the names of nearly every other Pokemon whose name we've learned so far. =/

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 13, 2011
    But Volroc, think about it. Why would you call such a great looking Poemon SMUGleaf?

It makes it look bad since smug means like evil smiles and Tsutarja is nothing like that.

I would prefer a nicer name that doesn't make it look like an evil smiling lizard.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    >_______>; Guys, honestly. Respecting other opinions isn't that hard.

As for Pokabu's name, I agree. Originally I thought it was an English name, because it was so easy to pronounce. Munna is another I'd like to keep - for the same reason as Pokabu.

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    But Volroc, think about it. Why would you call such a great looking Poemon SMUGleaf?

It makes it look bad since smug means like evil smiles and Tsutarja is nothing like that.

I would prefer a nicer name that doesn't make it look like an evil smiling lizard.

but why would you wish DEATH upon others?
    i just lost my little sister this past week, not to mention ive lost multiple family members throughout my life, i would NEVER no matter how much i disliked something, wish that pain, that guilt, & that hate upon another person.

i think its cute, but i too would prefer a nicer name once its released in america :)

As for Pokabu's name, I agree. Originally I thought it was an English name, because it was so easy to pronounce. Munna is another I'd like to keep - for the same reason as Pokabu.

id like to keep all of them except the few like rankurusu which is impossible in english :cer_laugh:

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah okay, let's end the discussion before someone replies in a mean manner causing me to have to give out another infraction.

Anyway, I bet Rankurusu will probably have something to do with bear in its English name, but not a play on words, more like a mixture of words, difficult to predict. D:

Volroc

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Yeah okay, let's end the discussion before someone replies in a mean manner causing me to have to give out another infraction.

Anyway, I bet Rankurusu will probably have something to do with bear in its English name, but not a play on words, more like a mixture of words, difficult to predict. D:

i agree, Thorns-chan just please dont do that again, its not right to wish that upon others, trust me i know.

:) that would be so cute, especially since rankurusu is supposed to be the 3rd forme out of a 3stage line :3

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    Anyone else pronouncing Munna, Moo-nah?
    I don't think anyone is saying it Muh-nah, is anyone?

I'd like Munna and Pokabu's names to be the same in English as well.

But knowing Nintendo, I think Pokabu's will be Oinkabu... or Oinklet.

Yes!... Oinklet is the name now.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years

I'd like Munna and Pokabu's names to be the same in English as well.

But knowing Nintendo, I think Pokabu's will be Oinkabu... or Oinklet.

Yes!... Oinklet is the name now.
    I say "muh-nah", even though I know it's wrong. After all, when the English names come out I doubt I'll care about the Japenese names anymore. =P

BTW, I co-sign Oinklet, either that or Oinklit, for a fire reference. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    Sweet, Oinklet/Oinklit it is then.
    I really should work for Nintendo.

I feel like Leonardo da Vinci.
    I feel great.

NatureKeeper

Victini- Victini
    Reason - Main Legendaries have the same name worldwide

Zoroark - Zoloark
    Reason - L, R and F being the same kana confuses me. Especially that ディアルガ can be both Diaruga and Dialga. We'll never know.
    Q: Why is the name even related?
    A: Because he is Lucario's parellel, once known as Rukario due to the muted Japanese.

Zorua -Zolua
    See above reason.

Tsutarja - Serplier --> My speculation \ Smugleaf --> Suggested by the Australia Official Nintendo Magazine here.
    Tsuta means Japanese Ivy, and ja means snake. Literrally... Serp comes from Serpent, while lier comes from Lierre, french for ivy.

Mjuumaru - Samurizu
    Since Mijumaru is a reflection to the Japanese culture, Samur comes from Samurai, while izu comes from Mizu, Romajii for Water.

Pokabu - Porkhuo\Porkabu --> Suggested by the same magazine.
    Pork for Pig, Huo is Chinese (traditional) for Fire... Everything clear?

Years

NO!!!I would never want Munna to keep its name.It is a bad word in Greek

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    No!
    Zoroark name will be Zoroark.
    Why? It's simple.
    Zoroark comes from zorro, the spanish word for "fox".
    So stop saying it Zoloark 'cause it sounds terrible.

P.S. Zoroark.com

Zhinc

a Dark-type trainer
    Years
    No!​

Zoroark name will be Zoroark.
    Why? It's simple.
    Zoroark comes from zorro, the spanish word for "fox".
    So stop saying it Zoloark 'cause it sounds terrible.

P.S. Zoroark.com
    Yeah, I agree, he's going to keep his name.
    Or, at least, their bound to have some part of his name based off of 'zorro', like you said. Hooray for Spanish! (:

...I though it's pronouced 'Moon-ah' myself, which is essentially the same as 'Moo-nah' anyway.
    I dunno. Like I said, I'm horrible at pronouncing things. (:

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
    i added an R to one of them, cuz it just fits IMO :)

"<---" those are all under the same conclusion :)

as much as i like the:
    smugleaf
    smugster
    smuglord

i hope their names change to a more Snake-ish thing :)
    for: Smugleaf:
    things like Snakor
    Snakos
    Slither
    Sliss
    exc. :) & you build onto it with the evos :)
    Yeah I get ya.
    When I said Voltrula, I found it too much of a mouthful ._.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back