• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Flamingo

→ Loves Defense
Years
  • lol Oshawott... wtf is that. And yet somehow, it's oddly fitting. Snivy is cool, and Tepig is alright; could be better, could be worse.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • LOLOL those are great names

OMG! you like Snivy?! I hate all the new names especially Snivy, it sounds like Sniff-y OMG! WTF?! just cuz it has a big nose dosen't make if Sniffy, if they tried to make a combination of Snake and Ivy the could have done a MILLION TIMES BETTER!!!!!
    so here are my verdicts:

Snivy: like the above, Sniffy, worst combination of snake and ivy EVER!
    Tepig: where'd they get that from?! Temperpig? it's certainly not as bad as Snivy but it SUCKS!
    Oshawott: certainly the least bad of the three, but still sounds to mixed up.

old reveiws:
    Tsutarja: kind of annoying to say the first few times, i remember i was like WTF?! but it gets better the more you have to say it.
    Pokabu: the most understandable, it's fine although i have no idea where they got it from.
    Mijimaru: also pretty annoying to say the first time around, but ya get used to it.

all in all the Japanese names were better than the english names, my sister cried when she heard that her favorite of the new starters had been called Snivy.
    It's Snivy with an emphasis on the "I". (Sneye-vee) Most definitely not Sniv-ee or Sniffy.

El Diabeetus

Amateur Voice Actor / ROM Editor ('Hacker')
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 10, 2020
    Yeah, I don't see why Snivy's being hated on when it's basically a competent adaptation of what a literal translation of Tsutarja would be in English. Plus it has a possible double meaning of snide, along with the obvious snake.

I'm still hoping that Zuruggu and Zuruzukin get called "Pantground" and "Getemup", I doubt they will; but, that would personally make me happy. I'll probably just nickname it that regardless.

I like your starter names ManhattanTheStarr, they fit in with what's been established with the current new names. Also, Chimpanseed, I would've never thought of that, but it's clever. I hope it ends up something like that now.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • *this thread is long and I'm tired, so excuse me if this is repetitive.*

These names sound weird.
    Tepig. It sounds like "tepid." Tepid means lukewarm. How can a firey pig be lukewarm?? If it's about to faint then sure, maybe, but...
    Snivy. "Snide" and "ivy." It's a good idea, but they don't fit together right. :/
    Oshawott.
    ...What. WHAT? Where does that COME from?? Seriously??

Oy. I hope the other Pokemon's names are better. But if not, I can just rename them. :P

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Well.... seeing that everyone's talking about the basic stage starter names, I'll just add some more speculation names for the other Pokemon. :3

496.png
    - Slyvine

Slyvine sounds extremely likely, very clever.

iRyu

Why is he smiling? The Father?
    Years
  • I only like Snivy.
    Tepig is kinda strange in my opinion.
    Oshawott?.... I hope it get's better up the chain. I really want to choose the water starter despite me always picking fire.

NatureKeeper

*this thread is long and I'm tired, so excuse me if this is repetitive.*

These names sound weird.
    Tepig. It sounds like "tepid." Tepid means lukewarm. How can a firey pig be lukewarm?? If it's about to faint then sure, maybe, but...
    Snivy. "Snide" and "ivy." It's a good idea, but they don't fit together right. :/
    Oshawott.
    ...What. WHAT? Where does that COME from?? Seriously??

Oy. I hope the other Pokemon's names are better. But if not, I can just rename them. :P

Oshawa is a name for a Samurai Family.
    It also can be Ocean, Shell, Watter and Otter.

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • The names aren't that bad in my opinion when I can just give them some much better nicknames. Snivy actually does sound good because if you think about it, it really does look snide, but I'm still calling it Smugleaf. Oshawatt is kinda weird because sounds like a certain American agency in charge of regulating workplace safety, so mine will need a nickname too, but I am still trying to decide on that one. Tepig is okay, but I thought of something better to name mine: Torpig! The reasoning behind that one is because my PC got infected by a trojan and MBR rootkit once and while removing them, I learned the hard way that they were attached to a very nasty botnet that you definitely do not want to run into! You too, can crap your pants when you see me send out that pokemon on Wi-Fi, see the name, and think to yourself "Oh my god, it's a virus!"

Mista T

Pityin' fools.
    Years
  • Oshawa is a name for a Samurai Family.

Thanks for explaining the name. I couldn't begin to figure it out, although I liked the sound of it!

Tepig's (Tepid) name obviously reflects the increasing amount of heat produced as you go up the evolution chain. It's not that hot at the start (it's not even on fire, as the other 3 out of 4 fire starters are); in other words, it is tepid. Not that bad, imo, and it will probably make more sense when the names of its evos are released.

Snivy is fantastic, almost entirely because it sounds like snide or snidely.

For those of you creating English names for pokes, try to keep in mind that they can only be 10 letters long. Just ask Feraligatr and Victreebel. ;)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    I love how Snivy and Oshawott's names seem so fitting to the Pokemons' personalities. Snivy just sounds stuck-up and snide. Oshawott sounds really derpy, which is perfect for Mijumaru.

"Tepig" bothers the hell out of me. It's awkward to say, the "pig" part is way too obvious, and it doesn't feel like it suits Pokabu. I'll probably get used to it eventually, though. Isshu being renamed "Unova" annoys me as well. "Unova" sounds kinda... generic. Like it's blatantly trying to look special and neat.

I'd like to say I'll continue saying "Pokabu" and "Isshu", but I'm sure before the games are even out in English I'll be using the new names.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    591.png

Morobareru

Mushield? I know it's bad.

Heeeyy that actually makes sense! Mushroom shield... better than what I could come up with, lol.

It could also be Snive (Snake + Vine put very close together)

Too close to Shivy D;
    ...I mean Snivy.

Oshawa is a name for a Samurai Family.
    Samurai? Really? Wow suddenly Oshawott makes so much sense. XD;

OMG! you like Snivy?! I hate all the new names especially Snivy, it sounds like Sniff-y OMG! WTF?! just cuz it has a big nose dosen't make if Sniffy, if they tried to make a combination of Snake and Ivy the could have done a MILLION TIMES BETTER!!!!!

Agreeing on Snivy, which is why I'm calling it Shivy, which sounds a lot better (though more confusing).

Spoiler:

Eh, best names I could come up with. :x
    Quoted the ones I agree with or will make comments on.

Pyroink would be perfect for Tepig's evo, and towards the end of speculation, I actually wanted that name for Tepig. As for Emboar, I'll be surprised if they don't use it. Samurtide makes a lot of sense, too. And omg, Meerhog is perfect, considering its name is Miruhoggu, which actually sounds like that. Monccoli... I like, don't entirely understand the first part from first glance, but I like.

Tapink makes sense because of tapir and pink, so I like. Dovely sounds adorable, but knowing GF they'll probably go for something stupid. Zebolt, agreeing with, but Zapbra sounds too much like Zapdos/Abra, imo. D: Dandeleaf is cute, I'm all for that. Um, Darumape... yeah makes sense, though I wish they could keep it at Hihidaruma cause it's fun to say (like Ononokusu). And omg, Trouzard sounds awesome and I can see it being used, lol. As for Hitomoshi's line? Hell yes. And finally the ant? I like the sound of it, though unlikely. :(

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Trouzard is a hilarious name.

Samurtide seems a bit silly (personally, I prefer Samurai Dialga Narwhal with a Beard), but hahahah, mostly win. I bet Oshawotty's next evolution (ie. Futachimaru) will be something to do with dual-wielding.

Also, they would be stupid to not use Emboar; it's just the perfect name lol.

Chandera's line might use Shandelia as a final, but the others...I have a feeling some parts of "will-o-wisp" might be used, as was he case with Hitodoma in the Jap names.

finally, 'Eelume' Shibishiribarishirabishi's english. Eel + lum(inescence)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back