• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    What about for
    Official English Name Discussion

Shibishirasu
    Maybe Eelectric or something better.

That's pretty generic, but I have a feeling they'll be going for that after Snivy, although Oshawott looks quite original.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    For everyone who is mad about Tsutaaja being Snivy and not Smugleaf, I have something to say.

It's obvious why Smugleaf wasn't Tsutaaja's official name.

All you need do is google "Smugleaf" and you can see for yourself.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/smugleafsnivy

You can see what the meme stands for.

Trolling.

I bet even if Game Freak was going to make this the name, after just googling this name to see what it means, it would be automatically dumped.

Game Freak wouldn't call one of their starters a name which represents trolls. That would be like stereotyping any other starter.

So it's quite understandable why that wasn't it's name.

And for everyone who is going to nickname their Snivy "Smugleaf" anyway, all the power to them.

Yo uare just showing everyone you aren't mature enough to truly accept the fact that Snivy is it's real name.

And no matter what, they're going to use Snivy in the anime and as the default name for it.

So in the end, who really wins?

It's quite obvious.

#Emochu

ujhgjkjhgkujhjkhjkhkhkhhk hjkhj
    Years
    Guys, emboar is a REALLY stupid name for tepig's final.

Ember means a flicker of flames, or fire sparks.

Boarnero is a MUCH better name, cause Nero is that guy who burnt Rome, and Enuboh reminds me of him.

Botanoa is also good for one of Snivy's evos.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I've got one for Tepig's final evo, how about, "Boarlaze"? Basically Boar + Blaze, pretty unoriginal but so are the actual starter names..

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    There are some names I'm hopeful will stay the same....but then there are others I know don't have a chance of sticking.

I wish Munna and Musharna would stay.....they just seem to really work.

It'll be hard getting used to Desukan and Rankurusu's names too since they're my favs....I hope they get great names.

MrsNorrington

Lady Loki
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Fl
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I just have to say, that I died inside when the English starters were revealed.

I really really hate Tepig most of all. What'swrong with Pokabu? It's a very Pokemon-sounding name.

And Oshawott makes no sense at all. Oshawa is a native american word meaning near a river/ocean..something along the lines of that. But Mijumaru is based on the Japanese Samurai, not Native Americans.

Snivy is.......eh...t's a direct translation of Tsutarja, but I prefer Tsutarja FOREVER!

I also didn't like the change of the region name. Isshu forever!

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    Um, okay, let's start with okay and end with retarded.

Tsutaja ~ Snivy : IMO, the best name change so far. Just a plain direct translation.
    Isshu ~ Unova : Um, pretty weird. But still, sounds alright to me.
    Tepig ~ Pokabu : Quite strange for a name, not to mention it's the only Pokemon whose name starts with Te-, which is odd. I don't know, just sounds awkward.
    Oshawott ~ ... (sorry if I mistyped this). Like wat. What does this even come from. When I first saw it on Pokemon.com... *dies*

So far, I'm not really that satisfied with name changes.... I hope Nintendo really does improve on this one ! (:

Teto

- - wobbuffan. ☆
    Years
    i kinda don't like the new english starter names. :c

i mean, snivy is okay, but how is it pronounced?
    i say it like "snih-vee", not like "sny-vee" like it should probably be. xD
    how do you guys say it? O;
    /was hoping for smugleaf/ ; O ;

tepig i'm not really feelin', like, i have a really big vocabulary and maybe this is just be being stupid,
    but i really never heard the word tepid before .. would kids know what it meant? D:
    i wanted emboar. ;A; oh well, maybe one of it's evos will be that ~? c:

oshawott .. HGDFS i just dun like it! D8<
    i never really liked mijumaru from the start, but then it started growing on me, and now i don't like it's name. ;A;
    i dunno, to me, oshawott sounds like .. awkward-ish? idk, haha. i just disapprove. B|

oh oh and i HATE the region name change. uhh unova? ehhh ..
    it kind of has a modern feel to it, but also kinda like they're trying to hard. know what i mean? o;
    i'm sticking to my lovely isshu. <3

but then again, we can't be thinkin' all negative .. i'm sure we'll grow into the names eventually ~ n u n
    lets hope for some cool names for their evos and the rest of the pokemon! 8D​

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Monmen
    Official English Name Discussion

Something like Dandelite.
    I can't think of anything better but thats not saying much.

It's not a dandelion though....

It would probably have something do with the words "cotton" or "puffy" or "cloud"

Cottoleaf

Not that good either :p

Years
    And Oshawott makes no sense at all. Oshawa is a native american word meaning near a river/ocean..something along the lines of that. But Mijumaru is based on the Japanese Samurai, not Native Americans.

It's native region is Unova, which is loosely based on America. It having a Native American name makes plenty of sense.

I do like Snivy as a name the most. I'm not sure where they got tehpig from. :/

Years
    I don't see why it's difficult to pronounce 'Snivy.' To me it seems a bit obvious because of the 'ivy' ending. It is a mixture of Snake + Ivy isn't it?

Years
    I just have to say, that I died inside when the English starters were revealed.

I really really hate Tepig most of all. What'swrong with Pokabu? It's a very Pokemon-sounding name.

Snivy is.......eh...t's a direct translation of Tsutarja, but I prefer Tsutarja FOREVER!

I also didn't like the change of the region name. Isshu forever!

You're contradicting yourself. How does a word that means 'near a river/ocean' not relate to a water pokémon?
    Besides, somebody stated before that Oshawa is the name of a samurai family... there you have it. -.-

I don't see why everybody is all like omg Oshawott sucks, where does it even come from. Why do you have to be able to know where the name comes from? The fact that we can't exactly find it out only means that it's an original name. Plus, I like this name the best out of all 3 starters.

Also someone stated that Snivy sounds like 'Sniffy' well I don't know where you got that from. It's obvious that you pronounce it like 'ivy', just with 'sn' in front of it. It's not like the 'sn' changes it to 'iffy'. Heck that doesn't even make any sense.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I don't see why everybody is all like omg Oshawott sucks, where does it even come from. Why do you have to be able to know where the name comes from?
    TBH I am mildly amused that people complain that Snivy for instance is 'too obvious' to see where the name comes from, and meanwhile there's also complaining that Oshawott is not obvious enough. =p (Although stuff like people saying tears were had or 'dying inside' over a couple of names does make me '=/' a bit...ah well,
    'tis the fandom).
    I don't see why it's difficult to pronounce 'Snivy.' To me it seems a bit obvious because of the 'ivy' ending. It is a mixture of Snake + Ivy isn't it?
    I thought so too but clearly not for some. Although for instance even the PBR announcer - the same guy as the narrator for the anime - had some weird ways to say some Pokemon's names for many...
    Curiously, is it 'Pokemon-sounding' because of the initial part of 'Pokabu' being similar to 'Pokemon'? Also, what exactly is 'Pokemon-sounding'? Considering that both the Japanese and English names have been consistently full of puns and reversals (from Ekans to Rotom) and so forth...these don't seem to have deterred much from the norm for me.

Mirimaju

Coordinator Extraordinaire
    Years
    My Opinion

I had grown to attached to the starter's japanese names they sounded perfect for Pokemon names... Tepig obvious, Snivy,,, eh and Oshawott sucks I love the japanese name way WAY better

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back