• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Just out of curiosity, how do we know the names are "pretty much confirmed"? I do like some of them, but for the most part they're just bleh lol. I do LOVE Pignite though haha.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    So are any of those long lists on names confirmed or what then? It's confusing and I don't wanna go though the whole thread.

I guess you could assume Munna will be kept the same since they kept Musharna.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • So are any of those long lists on names confirmed or what then? It's confusing and I don't wanna go though the whole thread.

I guess you could assume Munna will be kept the same since they kept Musharna.

Yeah, Munna has been kept the same and I'm 75% sure that the list is correct.

mochilicious

the first little piggy
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2016
    I like these. Some of them are lol-inducing, but I'm glad they kept Swanna. Chandelure also sounds cool, but Foongus LOLOL. Well, at least it's funny :3

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • OMG there is too much to read >.>

Belle could have stayed the same, so I am a bit disappointed it was changed, but Bianca is nice anyway. (pokemon Bianca version made me lol )

I still dislike the name Woobat, but Swoobat is a good one IMO.

Tabunne should have stayed the same, I liked Tabunne. Audino is just.... completely random :/

Serperior and Servine was unexpected but I like those names.

I also like Timburr and all the monkey names.

I hate however, Roggenrola. What is that meant to mean? What a pathetic name D:

The other names are relatively okay and I will just need to get used to them.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Woobat is fun to say, but sounds too similar to Zubat IMO.

Everyone seems to dislike the fact that Belle's name changed but also seem to think that Bianca's a pretty name, which it is.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I honestly like Bianca better than Belle lol. I think it works better with Cheren, as both names represent a version of the game.

The Red Chain

.. I think I'll avoid commenting on that one list of almost all the Pokemon's names in English since there's potential for it to be fake.. though I have a feeling that it's real. XD;
    But here are my thoughts on the ones that are confirmed!

Braviary [Jap ; Wargle] ; Huh, now that's interesting. Aviary and brave huh? Pretty clever, I like it!
    Patrat [ Jap ; Minezumi] ; Eh, not completely fond of it.
    Gothitelle [ Jap ; Gochiruzeru] ; LOVE IT :3
    Reuniclus [ Jap ; Rankurusu ] ; Absolutely adore it, it's close to what I hoped for! [Ranculus] I wish I knew how to pronounce it properly though.. D:
    Confagrigus [ Jap ; Desukan ] ; ... No idea how to say it.. I'm not fond of this one either. XD;
    Drilbur [ Jap ; Mogurew ] ; I think if I had an explanation for this one that I'd like it a bit more. ^^;
    Axew [ Jap ; Kibago ] ; .. Yeahhh not digging it.
    Woobat [ Jap ; Koromori ] ; Love it, super cute. <3

.... Why did Belle's name get changed? Definitely unnecessary... Belle is much cuter.. she doesn't even look like a Bianca. D: Cheren keeping his name is pretty nice though. :3;

Haxorus

Ononokusu
    Years
  • I must say that I've come to accept most of these "new" names, including Cofagrigus, and Axew, to name a few.
    I don't think I'll every bring myself to call one of my favorite Generation V Pokemon by the name "Conkeldurr". (Conk may work, since it was called Roob before).
    Also, "Viperial" would have been much better than "Serperior", as it doesn't sound like a certain Gen IV Pokemon, and "Imperial" describes it's royal design much better, imo.

Last edited:

AadmM

I AM THE BRAINWASHAAAA
    Years
  • The name "Serperior" makes me lol. I mean, really? I hate to sound this way, but they really could've done better with that one. Been there, done that. And they say they put more work into the starters than anyone.

Otherwise I rather like most of these names. They're pretty clever once you discover all the possible meanings.

Also, I like Bianca better than Bel anyway :D

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Somehow, since last night I've gone from sadfacing the names, to being glad that they are official. Because I find most of them hilarious. =w= /shot

Oh Drewy, you should invest in glasses... XD

Gochimiru is Psychic-type lol

...apparently I know nothing. XD

I think the names are real, and that Swanna's group will be confirmed next week, along with more lovely translations of the text which uses 10 year old grammar, yay!

Oh and I'm one who prefers Bel, but Bianca ~does~ suit her. XD

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I noticed people seem to be having issues pronouncing cofagrigus and people keep saying it's made because of that word, so... this is how I think the pronounciation might be, and how I'm saying it:

Co (as in from "coke") - Fa (as in from "far") - Grig (self explanitory? Sounds like pig) - Us.

Honestly saying it that way makes it sound awesome. Hope that's the official pronounciation and not some other stupid way. :(

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Reuniclus seems to be like Reunite + -clus.
    Anybody correct me on this?
    Also, It should be pronounced Re-u-ni-clus

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I say it Coo- fah- Gig- gigas. But your way works too F :)

But you're adding on extra... parts of words that don't need to be added. XD "Gigas" isn't implied in the name iirc. Isn't short/easier better? XD

Reuniclus seems to be like Reunite + -clus.
    Anybody correct me on this?
    Also, It should be pronounced Re-u-ni-clus

Yup I say it that way :)

Jak

daяk εco frεak
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Dec 23, 2014
    I personally think Petilil is the best name and I couldn't be happier that Seed bby got one of the better names of the generation. (:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back