• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Official New Girl Thread - Opinions and Discussion

Your feelings?

• Yes

Votes: 276 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 13.8%
  • Ram her in the face!

Votes: 206 36.9%

• Total voters

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I am going to have to agree with f l a s h on that one. I would say wait until we get some more news about the game. Usually when you get the game, they give you a list on what you want to name the girl so maybe they'll show the real name for her.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
  • You guys make me laugh, while you all complain and there is a sticky for it all.
    Dude....even the guy who made this thread was complaining about people complaining about her in that EXACT thread. No one is safe to do that anywhere. It seems I was mistaken when I said no one bashes opinions here :/

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Who the frig is this blimp-hatted twit with the mustache-hair and the android-smile, and where the frig is Kris, the real Gen II female?! D<

I have never before griped about the stuff Nintendo has done as the generations progressed. I didn't complain every time they added another 100 Pokémon, I've never thought that they were either getting too unoriginal or too weird. I've never complained about the starters in any generation (except for the fact that I dun liek mudkipz, but that's the one issue everyone has to take sides on). I've never thought that the evil Teams were getting lamer. I haven't even been bothered by the character designs before, with the sole exception of thinking that Lucas's hat looked too big, but in Platinum they balanced it out by giving him a bigger jacket and he looked fine.

But this, this is the one time I've been honestly, sincerely pissed off by something Nintendo has done with its games. I've been waiting ever since GSDS rumors started circulating to play as Kris in a full out CGI-style gorgeous DS Johto. And beyond my personal preference, Kris is the Johto female, and more than that, she is the first female to ever appear in a Pokémon game.

Saying that she should be removed because she was in Crystal and FR/LG didn't keep the Yellow special features ignores the fact that most of the Yellow special features were little plot-additions that hung around for one game only (e.g. a starter following you the whole time, which didn't make a comeback for two whole generations, and long after FR/LG came out), rather than actual sincere additions to Pokémon gaming. Kris's addition marked a change in the gameplay of Pokémon, as every game forward would have a female main character option, including the Gen I remake--which, if they were pure R/G/B remakes, wouldn't have had anything but the male character. Getting to play as a female character in Crystal was not a third-game goodie that wasn't to be replicated in later games, but a permanent addition to the gameplay of Pokémon, and IMHO that makes her a fairly essential part of Gen II even if she wasn't technically a part of G/S.

Getting rid of Kris would be like getting rid of the Happiness system just because it was introduced in Yellow with Pikachu.

Screw the 8 wheel truck. Give me a space shuttle to drop on Miss Mario's stupid blimp-hat. If I want to play as a female so badly in HG/SS, I'd rather play as Gold and pretend he's transsexual.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Dude....even the guy who made this thread was complaining about people complaining about her in that EXACT thread. No one is safe to do that anywhere. It seems I was mistaken when I said no one bashes opinions here :/

Calm down, I was just stating a fact. I'm all about putting out your opinions, I do it a lot, but when there's a thread for complaints, then wouldn't you think to use it more?

Anyway, the new girl's bow, I wonder how it would look if it were colored yellow instead? I like it red, but the color yellow just came to mind.

TeddiursaFan

is a TeddiursaFan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2013
    In manga, they name the characters by the versions so the girl could be heart in the manga version because i know they wouldn't call the guy that. Though, I'm not sure if she'll even be in manga because they've already shown the Johto characters and... well I'm not sure.

Psyburn

Is not Kazaam
    Years
  • Calm down, I was just stating a fact. I'm all about putting out your opinions, I do it a lot, but when there's a thread for complaints, then wouldn't you think to use it more?
    I just usually discuss w/e the topics about. This one is more in-line with a single feature while the other is everything.

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I'm willing to bet that if it had been Ruby and Sapphire to introduce the concept of a female playable character rather than Crystal, there would be next to no complaints right now. I think people are blowing things incredibly out of proportion just so they can whine about her not being Kris. Way to unnecessarily hate on a fictional character you've seen one picture of, guys.

Most of us will probably be playing as the male anyway, what's the problem anyway?

I like her. I think it's cool to add another female to the series. Question is, what to call her? I figure, we've got Gold, but we've also already got Silver, so perhaps we could give her a name that's a play on Silver? Sylvia, perhaps?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    If they name this girl, it'll be something new, and they just might add her into the manga like they did with Leaf. I don't know too much about the Manga though. This girl could possibly have the name Heart or even Soul, but in time it'll be known.

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
  • Something about the outfit just puts me off. =\
    I love the adorable hat, but I don't get the "european" vibe from her.

I wanted Kris so bad. D;
    She was my second favorite female player next to may, simply because she's the first female player. She's the very first! Doesn't that make her special? D:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    When I look at her picture again the only thing I don't like about her look is the long socks. It just doesn't seem to fit.

Otherwise everything else about her look, looks perfectly fine to me.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I too don't understand how they mentioned "European" look, can someone explain this is a brief yet understanding way?

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    Something about the outfit just puts me off. =\
    I love the adorable hat, but I don't get the "european" vibe from her.

I wanted Kris so bad. D;
    She was my second favorite female player next to may, simply because she's the first female player. She's the very first! Doesn't that make her special? D:
    No it doesn't.

That's like saying bulbasaur is the 1st pokemon so he should be special, but that thing is neglected to hell and back.
    Being the first =/= not auto-special.

And Kris feels TOO much like a pseudo fem-clone of Gold. Her character design took so many things from gold, the only thing unique it basically had was the hat, and that weird jewish cap wasn't working for her either.
    When I first played Crystal I was like, "Wow, it's Gold with breasts"

HoneyBubbles

walk this way
    Years
  • No it doesn't.

That's like saying bulbasaur is the 1st pokemon so he should be special, but that thing is neglected to hell and back.

And Kris feels TOO much like a pseudo-clone of Gold. Her character design took so many things from gold, the only thing unique it basically had was the hat, and that weird jewish cap wasn't working for her either.
    That's good point. I can't argue with that. What I meant is that she felt special to me because I could finally play as a girl in the games~ 8D
    I used to hate playing as a boy in Pokemon Blue. ~ D:
    I guess not everyone feels so sentimental about that sort of thing. =/

I was hoping they'd give Kris a more original look in the remake, honestly. =\
    Kris was a female version of gold and lacked a really good design, but I didn't want them to completely start over with a new girl. I actually liked her pigtails and pretty black hair.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    No it doesn't.

And Kris feels TOO much like a pseudo fem-clone of Gold. Her character design took so many things from gold, the only thing unique it basically had was the hat, and that weird jewish cap wasn't working for her either.
    When I first played Crystal I was like, "Wow, it's Gold with breasts"

Hey now, I don't think calling the hat "Jewish" was very appropriate to say. Some people can get offended by that.

The new girl has a lot of differenced from Crystal that I like, once being the new Hair style and hat with bow as well.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Honestly, I think that hat makes her look fine. At least she isn't too girly looking, with a pink skirt with nailpolish and all.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    That's good point. I can't argue with that. What I meant is that she felt special to me because I could finally play as a girl in the games~ 8D
    I used to hate playing as a boy in Pokemon Blue. ~ D:
    I guess not everyone feels so sentimental about that sort of thing. =/

I was hoping they'd give Kris a more original look in the remake, honestly. =\
    Kris was a female version of gold and lacked a really good design, but I didn't want them to completely start over with a new girl. I actually liked her pigtails and pretty black hair.
    Well, we could always consider it as the spiritual makeover of Kris, since she has a feature of her as well. (Girl...and maybe the L shaped hair...poofs x_x)

For all we know, the new girl could have been a design for a Female PC that was supposed to be in the original G/S. We've heard countless times that they were going to add Female PCs in games before Crystal, but they were scrapped due to time and space constraints.

Hey now, I don't think calling the hat "Jewish" was very appropriate to say. Some people can get offended by that.

The new girl has a lot of differenced from Crystal that I like, once being the new Hair style and hat with bow as well.
    Haha, sorry. It just looks so much like a yarmulke.

Pink_Marshmello

Super Nerd
    Years
  • At first, I was dissapointed at Nintendo for replacing Kris. But you know, the new female trainer isn't that bad. She's kind of grown on me, I guess. XD But Kris will always be my favorite character, but I can live with the new girl. I might have to name her Maria or something, because no matter what you say, she does remind me of Mario.

Back