• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Official New Girl Thread - Opinions and Discussion

Your feelings?

• Yes

Votes: 276 49.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 13.8%
  • Ram her in the face!

Votes: 206 36.9%

• Total voters

Akira Uchiha

Akatsuki Shinobi! ^^
Years
  • Hey guys, you know what just occurred to me? Even though the people who dont like the new girl are using the same reasons too.

Look. For the New Girl:
    "Johto is more country"
    "Krys was for Crystal"
    "The big hat is awesome" (lol, I actually agree with this one)

Anti NG:
    "She's not Krys"
    "Overalls are ugly"
    "Bad design"

See?

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • I'm mostly indifferent to this issue, but I have to ask... what else is there to consider about the characters beside their designs? o_O It's not like they actually have personalities or anything. They don't talk.

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
  • Because this isn't supposed to be the point of the thread, and because I'm also planning on talking about something other than the new girl, my response to the discussion about the new girl will be spoiler'd, so that I can reply to the actual topic of the thread below that:

Spoiler:

Anyway... The original question is "So what if it's not Crystal?" and not "So what if it's not Kris?" and personally, I'm fine with this not being Crystal. Excluding Kris (seriously, seriously, excluding Kris from my analysis), what did Crystal have that G/S didn't? Battle Tower, okay, there's going to be some kind of a Battle territory in HG/SS, and they're probably going to do like the past few games have done and stick it in its own glorious super-huge new territory. Or the Sevii Islands. That'd be neat too. Either way, that concept is not lost. What else did Crystal have, animated Pokémon sprites? Well, all games have that now--even backsprites and some Trainer sprites, too, good deal. Pokémon availability? Ehn, whatever, though you're probably not gonna get to catch both Ho-Oh and Lugia in a single version, which is a shame. Bueno's Password radio show, I seriously hope they have that in HG/SS. I love that show. The only big difference Crystal had was the Suicune plot, which was fun enough but I won't miss it terribly.

Not a lot of differences between Crystal and G/S, really. And most of the differences it DID have were things that later games have improved upon or gone beyond.

I don't think anyone out there really cares that this is OMG GONNA BE A GOLD/SILVER REMAKE AND NOT CRYSTAL ZOMG. Seriously, they're almost the same games. The only thing that people really care about, I think, is Kris--and most of the Kris supporters don't think of her as a "Crystal thing" but as a "Gen II thing," even though her debut was in Crystal.

Years
  • Barry has somewhat of a personality....as well as Gary and Silver. The new girl will be getting a new supporting role if you are playing as the boy...a possible hint that she might have a personality. May and Dawn have personalities. (You see it on the show.)

Penumbra

Do you enjoy reading this?
    Years
  • EDIT: Thanks to the above for helping me out.
    And to answer the question:
    What if it's not Kris? I don't really care
    if it's Madonna in a jumpsuit. The only
    thing that's irksome is that... creature
    who took place for Kris.

Okay, lemme just finish this nicely.
    to the first guy/girl who replied to my post,
    I didn't really understand what you're trying
    to say. No offense or anything, but your
    grammar skills are very... lacking.

To Mr.Baw Baw Baw..
    Um... Well I don't remember what
    you said. That Baw Baw Baw thing kind
    of drilled a hole and emptied out everything
    else of your post. Baw. Baw. Baw.

Spoiler cuz this post has made me lozes
    temperz.
    Spoiler:

Years
  • OVERALLS DON'T MEAN FARMER.Or Western for that matter. Nor does Western mean farmer...
    Your Logic = Fail.

LOL You are so right. It is a bad stereotype. Just because people think the new girl isn't "stylish" like Dawn...(uh...pink and red don't go...either) or Kris (spandex, tank-turtlenecks, crop tops with red/yellow combined don't go either), they want to dislike her. But saying that the overalls make sense b/c Johto is western really is just being stereotypical.

I'm happy for once that they didn't mess up the guy's appearance imo. I don't know, but I think the reason why people are complaining about the ones who are complaining about the new girl, is because we're excited about this game and to find out that others don't like certain parts of it kinda takes away our joy. I'm not saying you're not allowed to have an opinion, but seriously this whole week is almost over and still everyone is complaining and giving the same reasons over and over as to why they think they are right. Instead of posting in every thread about a new girl. Keep one thread, merge all the "new girl" threads, and have a Poll. That way we know why and have them give new reasons for disliking or liking the girl.

Last edited:

Spearow

mr. nobody
    Years
  • Okay. I guess I was still thinking in terms of her as a player character. :p

Also, in response to the whole "Johto-esque" thing. As far as I can recall, Johto was supposed to be the equivalent of one of the more rural, "hickish" regions of Japan. So in that case a farm girl outfit would make sense.

EDIT: Kansai. couldn't remember the name. I'm not an expert on Japanese culture but I believe I remembering something about people from other areas and more populated, urban places sometimes perceiving people from Kansai as being uneducated bumpkins. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I read...

Mr.Kirby

off the wall
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 13, 2009
    I would be much more accepting if the game designers hadn't gone and made her look like a pokeized Strawberry Shortcake. :> The hat is terrible, and the shorts aren't that bad but they should have gone the same why they went with the guy's design. Keeping it pretty much the same.

Also I'm not fond how they "fixed" her hair color/general design. Sure it's more realistic, but if I'm in a world where they are creatures I can catch in a ball and do what I so ever want with them then I can't see why we can't go the full distance and have blue hair that defies gravity.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    I don't think anyone out there really cares that this is OMG GONNA BE A GOLD/SILVER REMAKE AND NOT CRYSTAL ZOMG. Seriously, they're almost the same games. The only thing that people really care about, I think, is Kris--and most of the Kris supporters don't think of her as a "Crystal thing" but as a "Gen II thing," even though her debut was in Crystal.

qft

you seem to know what you're talking about.

Ace_McPhail

Dancing Mad
    Years
  • If they got rid of the horrid hat and the disgusting overalls and put somenormal clothes on she'd be alright. But they haven't, so a Ragewagon I am hopping on

*drives off in the Ragewagon with all the other Ragers*

- Ace_McPhail

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    i for one love the giant hat
    i wont accept the hat if it was "normal" sized >:[
    hilariously tiny then yes 8D

im seeing people say they want it changed
    honestly by "changed" how many of you mean "exactly like kris" >:[?

because im not buying the whole "its just the hat" thing >:

the overalls are adorable :>
    if i was alone in the middle of the wilderness with no-gooders running around, i wouldn't wear a skirt or short-shorts or whatever >:

she should wear pant-over-alls 8D

i would like to see a heroine with curly hair tho lD/has curly hair
    and with a more tomboyish design
    pants FTW >:U/hit

i would totally walk around outside in that outfit
    but im weird x3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Yeah, I really prefer Kris. I mean her hat is like twice as big as her head. She's wearing Mario overalls which looks completley ridiculous. And seriously..leggings?? What kind of 10 year old girl wears leggings? That's just plain wrong.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • She looks like something out of a young-children's television show. She looks so darn retarded.
    I think it's the puffy, unnecessarily large, and out of style hat and overalls that make me hate the design.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I personally don't care at all if new characters are used. So what, they look different. This is nothing to get heated up about, seeing as how no one knows what personality THAT girl has(which really makes no difference in-game) yet.

Years
  • I thought it was the socks and the shoes. The rest I could care less about. It's not like the sprite will look exactly like the artwork. (For example, imo, the guy in Platinum looks better in his back sprite and trainer sprite rather than the drawing. However, his hat was the same in the overworlds, therefore I didn't like it, so I chose Dawn.) The outfits on the characters will look as small and you won't notice them as much. It's just the hat that you see more of. I'm assuming the hat will be about the same size as that Rocket's hat in the picture w/ Gold and the Tododile. Instead of a black hat, just white with the little bow on it.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I couldn't care less about the female character because I always play as male, but the girl would be better without such a silly looking hat.
    Then, and only then, would I think the girl doesn't look stupid.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I like her just the way she is. The first glimps I got of her, I thought maybe they could have changed the socks, but that was it. No matter, she's still likable for me.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    If they got rid of the horrid hat and the disgusting overalls and put somenormal clothes on she'd be alright. But they haven't, so a Ragewagon I am hopping on

*drives off in the Ragewagon with all the other Ragers*

- Ace_McPhail

I don't understand why the Main characters always look like they are almost sexually mature, but then again people are going into puberty sooner. If I designed her, she would be a mix of Kris and Her, but eliminating the overalls, a smaller hat , and blue hair. Then Gold would have the older design of yellow- black shorts.

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    The only thing I didn't really like was how the socks were long and the black stripe at the top of it. Otherwise she is completely fine with me.

Back