• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Official Wi-Fi Summer League Discussion Thread

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    So.........what, breeding and training every single competitive Pokemon out there would make me some sort of battling deity? No, no, no, it does not work that way. I believe Smarties-chan had it right: if you plan it well enough and put it together right, just one team of six can serve you well.

I believe the actual relationship is that, the more Pokemon you have trained, the less of a life you have.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    So.........what, breeding and training every single competitive Pokemon out there would make me some sort of battling deity? No, no, no, it does not work that way. I believe Smarties-chan had it right: if you plan it well enough and put it together right, just one team of six can serve you well.

Agreed. *high fives*

It's not someone's diversity of Pocket Monsters, it's their skill in battle. :D

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I find that those who have more evd have more options and have greatly had experience in the field of battle(as well as having more fun without being bored)

so basically you are saying seeing the same pokemon over and over is fun?
    How is the number of Pokémon someone has in any way related to how experienced he is? And either way, not having a large quantity of Pokémon might very well be an indication of the person being too busy battling (or having a life) to breed himself masses of Pokémon and EV training and leveling them. I also don't see how the heck having a small amount of Pokémon = not having fun. I only have a measly 33 EV trained Pokémon (quite a few of which are just clones of other EV trained Pokémon of mine with a different EV spread or moveset) and I only use about 12 of them. I have 8 Pokémon I use very commonly and 4 that I like to use every now and then and I still enjoy battling. Using the same team in many battles gives you the advantage of actually knowing what your team can take just fine and what you might have to take drastic measures against as well as getting more familiar with what to do in various situations.

I'm not saying seeing the same Pokémon over and over again is fun, I'm saying that using them is. I have 3 successful Shoddy teams, two of them use the same defensive core to take physical moves (although movesets might vary depending on what I need to counter) and one of the two Pokémon I use as my defensive core is on nearly every one of my Shoddy teams, but I still enjoy Shoddy battling. (more than I enjoy playing on Wi-fi, actually) Know why I use such a limited amount of Pokémon? There are two quite simple reasons:

1) I enjoy using them (barring Blissey, but sometimes I simply need that thing on my teams)
    2) They're competitively viable

I'm not saying I don't like to see something original every once in a while, but if you're planning to win, using a Choice Specs Gyarados just isn't going to work. I've seen some people pull off some original strategies in OU, but most attempts at originality just fail. I'd rather have a good match against a bunch of OUs than fight a team consisting of Masquerain, Unown, Mothim, Dustox, Spinda and Luvdisc.

_Prince_

Pikachu?
    Years
    Ya know mystery, did you really had to use me as an example? XD
    I have like 3 boxes full of EV'd pokemon and I always change my team for every battle, I don't ever keep the same team, that's my playing style...I love to mix it up every battle. ;)

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Actually, I take what I said earlier back. I won't be an official while participating, nice mixup Beachy, nice one. *takes off chains*

Oh you guys are so going to get it now. =D

mintyfresh*

Student of the Game
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2008
    anyone in the solrock group, im looking for a battle. pm me from now to 10 pm eastern time.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Shao said:
    Shao vs. _Prince_
    The match was disconnected, but Prince had the advantage , so I give the win to him.

That's good sportsmanship right there folks.

Mystery2009

The Legacy Begins Now
    Years
    Actually, I take what I said earlier back. I won't be an official while participating, nice mixup Beachy, nice one. *takes off chains*

Oh you guys are so going to get it now. =D

lol I cant wait rofl
    that was worth the wait *happy he got beachboy fired up*

I knew u had a lot of evd prince I know alot more than ud think(without u having told me)

o u can have a life and have massive ammounts of evd, I would know

homsar

Competitive Gamer
    Years
    Dont worry about inactivity. You have a month to get your battles done and if no one is active in your group its an auto move on.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Oh snap, what group did Beach Boy instill himself into? Probably Kyogre. Maybe now I'll actually have a match.

Yeah, maybe Kyogre, seeing as half of them don't exist on the member's list anyway. o_O"

I can fit into any group really on my strange sleep schedule, so who knows. Depends where Apostle places me, not my choice. ^^;

_Prince_

Pikachu?
    Years
    Well, I wanna get some battles done... there's only 4 people I haven't battled yet...
    Mukkamoto
    Lady Nicole
    Sathi6
    Red Rain

Anyone else I've battled before, is up for a 2nd battle, I'm ready to do so...

Back