• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oh sweet! The Toothfairy left me $2

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
  • Yeah, that's a bad title.

Anyway, what things were you told as a child, that are obviously not true.

I was told about the Toothfairy & Santa mostly. (Who wasn't?)

So, what other malicious lies things were you told at a young age?

I was told by my Year 3 teacher if I kept making faces, that the wind will change and permanently keep it that way. :( The Toothfairy story scared me. \: I was scared about the thought of something coming into my room at night. ;;

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    So, what other malicious lies things were you told at a young age?

Santa, toothfairy, ghosts, and some Indian myths and such. I believed them for quite some time :x

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I believed in the Easter Bunny until I was about nine or so, when I realized that he and my mother had the exact same handwriting. XD; It was at that moment when I came to know the truth about Santa and the Tooth Fairy, too. Didn't break my heart at all; I kinda had my doubts, even as a kid.

I was also told by an old piano teacher that apples eaten before bed would turn gold and rot in your stomach. I guess she was trying to tell me that I shouldn't eat food right before I go to bed but the mental image of a golden apple rotting in my stomach just grossed me out. XD;

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
  • When I was a kid, I loved to make stupid faces at other people and in the mirror. Well, my mom told me if I did that, my face would stay like that. That made me stop, or else I would probably still be doing that xD

daf

Years
  • You will use cursive for the rest of your life.
    The internet is full of pedophiles that are trying to kidnap you.
    You will never go to college or get a job or have a family if you don't get an A on that multiplication test.
    You're too sick to go to school? Then you're too sick to play video games all day.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    You will be bullied in middle school/high school.
    Predators are lurking around every corner.
    Other people have feelings too. (just kidding)
    TV destroys your brain.
    Those are the ones I can think of right now.

Years
  • My friend's older sister told me that watermelon seeds could grow in my stomach and that if I got too close to the television my eyeballs would pop out and stick to the screen. I really believed the second one for a long time, but it was all harmless fun. If I had kids I would say things like that to them all the time. Thankfully for the future generation I'm not going to have any.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • My friend's older sister told me that watermelon seeds could grow in my stomach

Yes same for me XD The black seeds, and same goes for mandarins and oranges. Some other stuff includes tooth fairy, santa, easter bunny, that eating bread crust makes your hair turn curly (grandpa D:< ) and... that's about it :D

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • If you watch too much TV, your eyes will become square, which I guess would hurt me?

My favorite one was one my grandmother kept telling me: "If you swear God will send you to hell (She did not use it as an insult, more like a means to scare me)". This is ridiculous. First of all, it does not even have any biblical basis, she pulled if off her head. I don't remember seeing "Thou shalt not commit swearing" anywhere in the bible. Secondly, do you really have to force your theological opinions on a 4 year old? Seriously, let people grow up first so they can make an educated decision.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was told that Santa exists. I also believed that watching too much TV melted my brain, and I used to believe that playing video games while in the car ruined my eyes.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • This is one that was told to my sister

Ashlee: Mummy, does everybody have to die?
    Mum: No, not if you don't want to.

Mum also had to sit down and have a talk with her about Santa Claus before she started high school... she really messed that girl up.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    If I pushed my bellybutton my bum would fall off. xD

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I was told quite a few of the things already mentioned here:

I can't swallow watermelon or apple seeds, santa clause and the easter bunny, my face would freeze forever in a mad face if I sat and scoweled, and one time the "toothfairy" forgot my money my mom got on the phone and then told me she got stuck in a snowstorm in alaska and couldn't make it hahaha.

also, my dad told me he had magical powers and knew how to change the stoplight colors. it took me until I started driving to figure out how you can tell they're about to change even though I knew he wasn't magic ;x

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I was told that watermelon seeds would grow in my stomach too. And I believed they would for quite some time. .///.
    I doubted Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy as a kid though. And I kind of figured out that the tooth fairy wasn't real after an incident one night when I couldn't fall asleep. I believed that chewing gum would stick to my intestines for quite some time. :x

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • When I was little, my parents changed the channel on the tv every time pointed at it... so I thought I had magic powers for awhile. lol

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • To make me act better, my parents would tell me that Santa was watching me very closely and he was watching my every move and deciding what he should give to me at the end of the year. It kind of freaked me out in all honesty. I was told about the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy... For some reason when I was a kid, I refused to leave the tooth under my pillow. I would lay it on my dresser... I couldn't stand the thought of something coming right beside me and leaving something under my pillow. I didn't want to believe the thought that someone could put something like a dollar under my pillow and I wouldn't hear, see, feel, notice anyone at all.

Back