• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Oh wait I can't trade Cofagrigus without a nickname???

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    So while Cofagrigus was a more "controversial" English name of B/W Pokemon, how did you feel about the other English names in these games (and that)? Do you think they could've been more creative? What would've you changed certain names to? ALSO how did you feel about the translation job for these games, was it poor or pretty good?

Feel free to discuss everything ranging from Pokemon to town names and the such. Also you can discuss how you felt about the Japanese ones. So ya, discuss! n_______n

Years
    I've never really had a problem with the names of the Pokemon or towns. I mean a couple of the names are a bit ridiculous (Foongus and Amoongus haha), but I can't complain. With regards to the Japanese names, I have no idea how the translations work, so I can't really comment on that haha.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    "Coffinigus"? Makes more sense since it's supposed to resemble a gold-plated coffin and it punishes any who approach to steal the supposed jewels.

Cyclone

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    I think that the lillipup line (herdier and stoutland particularly) are a bit stupid i mean it just seems like they're copies of other pokemon and herdier doesnt even make sense since it doesn't look like a dog from the herding group i think that gamefreak is really running out of ideas for these names

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I saw no real problems with the English names for B/W. I really think Game Freak should've prepared the GTS better to accept Cofagrigus and other Pokémon with bad language in their names like Skuntank. There are Japanese names I liked better than the English, such as Shikijika, but I understand how that wouldn't work for English games. The games themselves had a good translation job imo, though I guess I could comment more if I knew Japanese.

Ninjagon

Back from a break.
    Years
    Honestly, I thought they did a good job with most of the translation, but some of the names' are a little bit far-fetched (Such as names already mentioned) But where did Darmanitan come from? I see no resemblance to it's element, fire in it's name. i.e Moltres (Molt - pretty much something has become so hot it has melted), Infernape, Charizard, etc you catch my drift. Then again i don't know as much Japanese than other's who boast about it :x .

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I never had a problem with any of the Unova Pokemon's names to be honest. I think GameFreak could've fixed the censors so that they only bleeped out offensive nicknames only and not Pokemon names.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Honestly, I thought they did a good job with most of the translation, but some of the names' are a little bit far-fetched (Such as names already mentioned) But where did Darmanitan come from? I see no resemblance to it's element, fire in it's name. i.e Moltres (Molt - pretty much something has become so hot it has melted), Infernape, Charizard, etc you catch my drift. Then again i don't know as much Japanese than other's who boast about it :x .

Well, I guess it makes sense because of Orang-utan kinda since it's like a gorilla. :( I guess they decided they needed to give the fire part of it that much importance!

"Coffinigus"? Makes more sense since it's supposed to resemble a gold-plated coffin and it punishes any who approach to steal the supposed jewels.

Cyclone

Yeah that'd have made more sense, since Cofagrigus has some "certain" meaning of which I've forgotten but that sounds kinda nicer and makes sense more outright.

I've never really had a problem with the names of the Pokemon or towns. I mean a couple of the names are a bit ridiculous (Foongus and Amoongus haha), but I can't complain. With regards to the Japanese names, I have no idea how the translations work, so I can't really comment on that haha.

Foongus and Amoongus are fun to say, though! :(

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I never knew you couldn't trade Cofagrigus without nicknaming it (Unless it's in another language). Until I remembered the censor list the games contain.

Some of the names are nice, but some others, like Conkeldurr (sp?) are just weird.

Omg I love Conkeldurr/Gurdurr/Timburr now. XD; At first I thought they were the dumbest names ever, but they're actually really fun to say and kinda make sense - at least, Timburr does. Kinda creative and a "different" route imo.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Conkeldurr makes sense.

"Let me introduce you to my little stone-armed friend."

*stone-armed friend conks new acquaintance*

Enough said.

Cyclone

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Omg I love Conkeldurr/Gurdurr/Timburr now. XD; At first I thought they were the dumbest names ever, but they're actually really fun to say and kinda make sense - at least, Timburr does. Kinda creative and a "different" route imo.

Gurdurr is holding a girder c:

I thought the names this time were pretty good, but as others have said, the censor in the GTS could have been made to work around Pokemon like Cofagrigus.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Gurdurr is holding a girder c:

I thought the names this time were pretty good, but as others have said, the censor in the GTS could have been made to work around Pokemon like Cofagrigus.
    Since we both left out Timburr, he wields...well, wood.

Cyclone

Years
    Overall, I like the names of the Gen V pokes, I think they're pretty creative
    (druddigon, leavanny, dwebble) As for conkeldurr, the conk refers to concrete and the eldurr refers to elder: it being old looking and the last of its line. (at least according to bulbapedia)

I always thought it was silly how gamefreak would create a name for a pokemon that they (or their censor, that is) deem unfit to be given to another player. Like the @$$ in froslass obviously refers to lass...

I don't know anything about the translations, so no comment there.

Also, I would change a couple names, maybe shelmet and trubbish. They're just a little too straightforwardly obvious for me. (maybe tepig too for that matter)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Since we both left out Timburr, he wields...well, wood.

Cyclone

Yup, he has some timber in his hands :D

I totally forgot to mention that Lampent and Chandelure are my favorite names in terms of creativity and possible meanings. Lamp, lament, repent? These are all great words (lamp especially) that really represent the Pokemon.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    Yup, he has some timber in his hands :D

I totally forgot to mention that Lampent and Chandelure are my favorite names in terms of creativity and possible meanings. Lamp, lament, repent? These are all great words (lamp especially) that really represent the Pokemon.

I think Chandelure rolls off the tongue very well, a simple but great combination of words.

I think Alomomola is an interesting name, it can be tricky to say sometimes though. I wonder if in Australian and other non-American games if it should've been Alomumola. xD

(Because we say mum instead of mom, if any Americans didn't know)
    xD

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years

Darmanitan and Darumaka come from the Japanese Daruma. The name in English pretty much stayed the same as the original one due to the origin of its form.

I'm playing for the first time through the official English release, and I have to say that after having played the fanlated rom with Romanised names, I can't help but to frown at some Pokémon names.
    I liked Zebraika and Shimama more than Zebstrika and Blitzle for example. This is an example of minor changes.
    Names like those of the trade evo trios (Timburr, Roggenrolla) make me chuckle a bit, though. English is not my native language, so it's not always easy to figure out where the names come from... and then they just sound weird or humorous.

I'm okay with most names, as long as they're easily pronouncable... but Blitzle bugs me the most. |D;

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    I honestly think Conkeldurr is the worst English language Pokemon name, subtly beating the previous holder of this dubious record - Feraligatr. Apart from that blip on the radar, however, I mostly like the Unovan Pokemon names. As I mentioned in a more general naming thread, if I don't get a Pokemon's name on the getgo, I normally really like the eventual contraction that results in the critter's new name. Having said that, apart from Conkeldurr, none of these new names stick out particularly. They're mostly just all fine, to be honest.

Years
    I originally hated Conkeldurr's name until I found out its interesting origin. Still a weird name though.

I mean, they were really creative with the Pokemon names this generation, especially Elgyem and Beheeyem, which is a corruption of "LGM" and "BEM" respectively.

5th Gen will always have the best names for Pokemon in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    um yeah, Vullaby doesn't evolve into Braviary, it evolves into Mandibuzz i know this because i too trained a Vullaby and that's what it evolved into. Rufflet evolves into Braviary but you can only catch Vullaby/Mandibuzz in the wild in Black, and Rufflet/Braviary in the wild in white. Don't get disappointed.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    um yeah, Vullaby doesn't evolve into Braviary, it evolves into Mandibuzz i know this because i too trained a Vullaby and that's what it evolved into. Rufflet evolves into Braviary but you can only catch Vullaby/Mandibuzz in the wild in Black, and Rufflet/Braviary in the wild in white. Don't get disappointed.
    Yes, I know that, I just mistyped it because I was also discussing in a PM about getting Rufflet for evolving into Braviary. Mistakes happen. I never came back to fix it, tho.

Cyclone

Back