• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Oi!

PapaPuff

Professional Procrastinator!
Years
  • Oof. Didn't realize I made an account here almost 2 years ago and never logged into it again. Better late than never, I guess lol.

I'm PapaPuff! I've been into Pokémon since playing Ruby almost 15 years ago. Though I mostly only played the Mystery Dungeon games up until XY came out. My favorite generation is probably gen 3, but I think every generation has something to love about it. Also, in the 15 years I've been playing, I've never encountered a single shiny...

I'm currently in college limbo, trying to figure out what I truly want to do with my life. In the meantime, I'm saving up money and trying to learn Japanese in my free time. I'm still in the very early stages, but I'd love to be fluent in it some day.

I'm also a big fan of travelling. I've already been to Japan and Mexico and I'm hoping to add a lot more to that list in the coming years. I'm currently planning a second trip to Japan, though trying to figure out where is hard lol.

Anyways, I'm bad at introductions, so I'll just leave it at that.

Nice to meet you all!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Howdy PapaPuff! Glad to see you get back into your account after a long period of inactivity. Reminds me of me :p

I started with Gen 4 myself, and played Gen 3 second, so those two do hold special places in my heart. Weird tho that you've never encountered a shiny in 15 years :o Word of advice, speed grind on emulators often and you're bound to run in to a random couple. It's how I found 4 just this year lol.

Nice to hear you wanting to learn Japanese too! Duolingo and anime help a TON so if you're already doing those, shouldn't be much of a problem, just give it time! Should get you fluent enough to speak with Nihonggo locals by the time you get back there in the future :D

Anyhow with all that said, nice to meet you and hope you stick around!

Last edited:

PapaPuff

Years
  • Thanks! I won't act like I've been actively going out of my way to hunt for shinies outside of a couple hours in SM, but I figured I'd at least have come across one by now with how many games I've played through lol.

I've mostly been using the Genki textbook for learning Japanese so far. I also use Anki to help with memorizing words.

Years
  • Don'tchu worry, you're bound to run into one reaal soon haha. Just make sure not to accidentally kill it :p Tis the beauty of emulators and their save state capabilities.

Ah those are interesting resources. I took a Japanese 101 class back in college and I vaguely remember getting a PDF version of something like that. Nowadays all I remember is wakarimashita (i think it means i don't understand? i used that heavily lmao).

PapaPuff

Years
  • I'm about to start a new playthrough of Emerald, so hopefully this is the time I finally find one. With my luck though, it'll end up being a zubat or something lol

And I'll have to try out the ones you mentioned. I'm doing fine with what I have now, but I want to find a method that truly clicks with me. It'll make studying 1000 times easier.

Years
  • Yo don't disrespect the possibility of a shiny Crobat my guy. it's my fave Pokemon after all lol.

Yeah go give it a shot! Regardless of what methods you use, improvements are guaranteed to come so long as there's consistency. Just make sure to enjoy every step of the way.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Welcome! Don't feel bad, I've only ever encountered a Shiny Zubat and that was way back when Emerald was the current game. I guess that's my own fault because I don't actively hunt them. The Genki textbook takes me so far back lol. I actually still have mine from college. Do I remember anything? Nope. xD

Again, welcome to the community and enjoy your stay!

PapaPuff

Years
  • Yeah. Trying to get the stuff you learned into your longterm memory is tough when you don't have easy ways to practice speaking/writing.

I have a few Japanese friends who have offered to help me when I'm struggling with something, so I'm hoping being able to practice with native speakers will be a big help.

Back