• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Okay, what do you NOT like about the main series?

RR☆Oresama

Why? Has someone died? (¬_¬;)
Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 10, 2013
    As soon as I saw the Pokemon gets boring thread, I decided to take a look and see what people do not like about Pokemon. Of course, many designs are either detestable or loveable (I 'effing hate Pinsir, srsly XD), and the plot, story and gameplay changes have differing opinions as well, depending on fan to fan.

So what do YOU not like about the Pokemon main franchise?

Well, let me tell you this. During the heyday of Japanese RPG's, many innovations in the genre had occured within franchises, such as Final Fantasy's Active Time Battle system and Chrono Trigger's lack of random encounters.

For me, Pokemon has slightly fallen behind on this due to the increasingly stale formula of battle, move, battle, heal, move, cutscene, battle, and it needs more story integration as with Gen V, or more.

I hate that despite the version-exclusive Pokemon (and now version-exclusive locations), that subtly affect the story of the game, nothing on the level of Team Magma and Aqua (where two evil teams have fought over not just the Hoenn region, but the geographical makeup of the entire world) has been pulled off ever again, because apparently Generation III was too radical to ever make any positive influences on the franchise ever again.

I also hate that random encounters are still used despite the norm being other methods of grinding being used, (i.e. actually seeing the Pokemon sneak towards you while you try to run away from it, and going up to the foe to make your Pokemon attack it straight away), and the lack of seamless, un-abrupt transitioning from this type of gameplay to the overworld makes it very jarring. Looking at what Pokemon is there can also help sift through what has been caught and what hasn't been caught just yet.

The Pokemon design however, has always varied for me. This may come as a shocker to some (and an even bigger shocker for nostalgic madpeeps), but I loved many of the designs from both Generation III and V, as well as IV. The former two Gens had some promising looks for them, but many of them were very basic. And while some ranged from the simplistically awesome (Mewtwo, but of course) to the just plain awful (again, Pinsir), there, to be quite frank, is a lack of consistent flair (and yes, I know there is more than one designer but a uniformity code/style sheet would be nice).

So, what aspects of Pokemon do you hate, and why?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I've got no problem with the franchise. What I hate about Pokemon is the fanbase. They just couldn't be pleased whatever GF tries to do. Who would've expected? Happens all the time. There's no use in stopping that though, I am actually also guilty of this. So just leaving it here if anyone cares.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm fine with the Pokemon franchise, but what I don't like is how some of the Pokemon are designed, like Stunfisk and Rhyperior.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's not kept up with the times, like he said. 2010 shouldn't have been the year Pokémon first starts expanding upon the very basic story constructs of the past games, or when they first start to offer alternative means to rest instead of always trudging back to a Pokémon center.

marcc5m

what
    Years
  • I'm fine with the Pokemon franchise, but what I don't like is how some of the Pokemon are designed, like Stunfisk and Rhyperior.

Yet you've had him in his sig for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, as Zeffy said, it's the fan base that annoys me most. A lot of people, when the gen V Pokemon were revealed, everyone was complaining that Game Freak (or "Nintendo" as the dumb ones said) were running out of ideas, and that they could do better themselves. Honestly I think gen V has been one of th most original yet. If the generations were reversed, people would be complaining that the Pokemon are too bland and boring.

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
  • Pokemon has a very "it isn't broken, so we're not going to fix it" approach to gameplay that both bothers and reassures me. Given how bad JRPGs have been recently, I am eternally grateful that Pokemon hasn't gone the way of certain other franchises (I'm looking at you, Square Enix) that used to be good but have pretty much been mutilated beyond all hope with recent instalments. But that is just it - Pokemon hasn't gone ANYWHERE. The differences are so minimal that they're not really worth mentioning. It can't get any worse, but it's not getting any better.

Inability to get every Pokemon in-game has always bothered me as well. For crying out loud, if you're going to make these super-ultra Legendaries, make them available in-game, and not through some events that will never see the light of day in some countries and are only available for a limited time. It's frustrating that Pokemon games are uncompletable by themselves. Version exclusives I can stomach, because at least you can get the Pokemon from someone else, and it encourages trading, etc. But these limited events being the only way to get certain Pokemon REALLY annoys me.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    It's the lack of of human character characterization.
    Human character in the main game really lack of characterization and background story. The gym leaders especially, until the arrival of HGSS and BW just sitting around in their gym and only gives you advices when you defeat them. Although in BW they have given bigger role, there is much left to be desired. Not too mention that the elite four are still the same as ever. I know the game titled "Pokemon" but that doesn't have to be all about "Pokemon" only. It makes me even more mad when I'm realized how good their design really are. Ken Sugimori and team really have the knack for character design, it such waste to see it like that.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Main series is games, so going to send this over to PGC. :3

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • There is not enough volcano bakemeat in the main series, or trashy men. This is very disappointing to me. I agree with Zeffy. The fanbase is the biggest annoyance. It seems like we can never be happy.

Yet you've had him in his sig for as long as I can remember.

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
    Years
    • Va
    • Seen Aug 23, 2014
    I actually don't have too much to complain about the main series themselves. I actually love and accept a lot of the newer and older designs for Pokemon(along with some dislikes of course) and how some Legendaries are only gotten through WiFi events. I really love how the games use the basic idea of a protagonist(you) going around collecting badges to face the Elite Four, while travelling the world and stopping the antagonist team's plots at taking over or whatever:

- Depending on the Legendary, I think that instead of just 'getting them' over WiFi, there should also be a little side story involved with them(kind of like Victini).

- I think the reason why the stories seem a bit shorter than intended is because of how the current main games are(shorter distances to get around the map, etc.), which is why I'm glad that future ones will be on the 3DS. It means that they can add little things here and there to expand of course, but what's greater is that with a graphics style like 3DS(what a lot of us are hoping for) and the bigger space available on 3DS games, it could mean that the tiny regions we are used to seeing could be much bigger(in general) and actually take longer to get through.

- The fact that BW didn't have a frontier. That helped a lot to keep you occupied after the main part of the game was over.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Everything...

I'd say the lack of things to do after the main story - this only applies for certain games, such as Black and White, Ruby and Sapphire, Diamond and Pearl etc. Agreeing with Sydian and Zeffy about the Fanbase, too. We're never happy about any of the games. ):

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    i dont like how they have "god" pokemon in every series.

mew in 1st gen. 2nd gen they didnt have 1. 3rd gen rayquaza, (breaks up the conflict between land/water) 4th gen arceus....

also whos the "ruler" of water? kyogre or lugia ?

and wtf was the point of delibird -_- (what a stupid design) i mean the looks are o.k. but the movepool and stats omg.

and why havnt any of the legendaries fought from other generations?
    and why hasnt deoxys fought mewtwo yet!!!! lol this one is for me. xP

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    i dont like how they have "god" pokemon in every series.

mew in 1st gen. 2nd gen they didnt have 1. 3rd gen rayquaza, (breaks up the conflict between land/water) 4th gen arceus....
    Mewtwo is an artificial monster based on Mew, which in turn is more similar to Jirachi in its 'mythical role' than any sort of deity. Mewtwo is not a god or anything, especially since it's man-made, it's just powerful.

I find Rayquaza comparable to White Fatalis from the Monster Hunter series. Legendary apex predator? Yes. Control over aspects of nature? Yes. God, though, when regardless of its status it is still part of nature? I wouldn't say so.

Arceus, as possibly the creator of the Pokemon world, is the only one that truly equates to 'god', but not necessarily — for instance, it could serve a higher being.

also whos the "ruler" of water? kyogre or lugia ?
    As far as I know, Lugia is just a monster that lives at the bottom of the sea. That's all there is it — an old, rare animal. More like the Locke Ness monster than having any real control over things. Granted Lugia is powerful and probably created the whirlpools about its local islands, but honestly, any sufficiently powerful water-type could do such a thing.

and why havnt any of the legendaries fought from other generations?
    Since the games are Japanese, and in Shinto, kami are spirits of particular things (in case relevant here — locations and regions), it's my guess that legendary Pokemon are like kami, usually residing in and protecting a particular place.
    Admittedly though, roamers are harder to justify.

and wtf was the point of delibird -_- (what a stupid design) i mean the looks are o.k. but the movepool and stats omg.
    Possibly a novelty/joke monster.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't like the pokemon that can't be caught without an event like Darkrai, Arceus, Celebii, etc. Also don't like the walking speed ;p

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Mewtwo is an artificial monster based on Mew, which in turn is more similar to Jirachi in its 'mythical role' than any sort of deity. Mewtwo is not a god or anything, especially since it's man-made, it's just powerful.

well i didnt say anything about mewtwo being a god. i said mew being a god. pokedex says that it is the ancestor of all pokemon.

As far as I know, Lugia is just a monster that lives at the bottom of the sea. That's all there is it — an old, rare animal. More like the Locke Ness monster than having any real control over things. Granted Lugia is powerful and probably created the whirlpools about its local islands, but honestly, any sufficiently powerful water-type could do such a thing.
    yea your right. i forgot. lugia is only at whirl islands and i completely forgot that kyogre has been sleeping for almost all of time.

Since the games are Japanese, and in Shinto, kami are spirits of particular things (in case relevant here — locations and regions), it's my guess that legendary Pokemon are like kami, usually residing in and protecting a particular place.
    Admittedly though, roamers are harder to justify.

that'll only explain lugia and regis though. for if it serves me right, no other legendary are stationary.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    There is not enough volcano bakemeat in the main series, or trashy men. This is very disappointing to me. I agree with Zeffy. The fanbase is the biggest annoyance. It seems like we can never be happy.
    So the biggest source of our annoyance are purselves?
    That sound both depressing and quite funny because its true:(
    We will never be happy whatever Game freak throw at us.
    I find Rayquaza comparable to White Fatalis from the Monster Hunter series. Legendary apex predator? Yes. Control over aspects of nature? Yes. God, though, when regardless of its status it is still part of nature? I wouldn't say so.
    I could say that Rayquaza is some sort of lesser deity. Have the control over the air globally, capable of stopping both Kyogre and Groudon, but have no other authorities over than that.

Isn't Lugia worshipped as some kind of Kami by the people of Johto? Lugia, if I look it from the game have some amount of mythical power like Ho-Oh did.

Precisely. These legendaries that considered as Kami are Beast Trio, Celebi, Jirachi, Bird Trio, Ho-Oh, Lugia, Djinn trio, and Musketeer Trio.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2014
    Isn't Lugia worshipped as some kind of Kami by the people of Johto? Lugia, if I look it from the game have some amount of mythical power like Ho-Oh did.

ummm well ho-oh created the 3 dogs. lugia just guards the whirl islands.

and ho-oh doesnt guard anything if my memory serves me right.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    ummm well ho-oh created the 3 dogs. lugia just guards the whirl islands.

and ho-oh doesnt guard anything if my memory serves me right.

The Tin Towers were built to represent both life and death. The eastern tower represent resurrection, and the place where Ho-Oh perched on the top before it leaves. And the western tower represent the death, and the place where the three beasts and Lugia perched at the top befiore it leaves for whirl island. That's enough for me that they both are equal. Not too mention that Ho-Oh considered as the guardian of the sky and Lugia as guardian of the sea. Lugia also certainly have Kami-like power to some extent since it can split the whirl into four smaller islands. Oh, and Ho-Oh only resurrect the three beasts not create the, And this is only further approves that both of them can be considered as Kami.

Wait, this began to derail from the main topic isn't?
    I must say that the staleness of pokemon formula is both a good thing and bad thing. I hate it though to see the staleness have reach highest point and somehow will backfire the series.

funrush

How's it going?
    Years
  • I have two things, #1 being how they make two games when they really could just make one just to suck our money out, and #2 being how they always try to shove HM's down our throats. That's why I liked BW, HM's weren't mandatory.

Back