• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old School vs Modern?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • Now, have you ever been to those arguments that people perfered the "old school 150-251" pokemon, or if they say that the new pokemon, are "better"?

I'm just curious, how do you respond or respect to that?

Toujours: Keep in mind that this thread isn't asking what your opinion is on the original Pokemon as opposed to the new ones, or which generation you liked best. Anyone posting that with no mention of the actual question will have their post deleted and will be infracted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I really dislike old-school purists. Well not really them, but their attitudes. Like... there's always some good in every generation. I've learned that over the years- I was one who hated Hoenn, hated Sinnoh, was wary of Unova. But they've all turned out to be pretty cool. And Hoenn, the region I hated with the most passion? Yeah, it's become my absolute favorite. Most of the old-schoolers, they're stuck in the past and resent everything past Gen III, refusing to even give it a chance. I mean, I'm not going to press upon them that Gen III is the absolute best and nothing else matters- I'd just like it if they approached it with an open mind instead of shunning all mention of it.

I don't try to change their minds about the originals being the best. That's just not gonna happen, I just kinda try to get them to see the good in it.

Probably more philosophical than necessary, but yeah. :>

MisterBlue92

I don't want your damn lemons!
    Years
  • I prefer the first two gens, mostly because the game boy colour has a lovely feeling to it in my opinion, I just love playing those games. The GBA and DS games feel very modern and allows for more complex Pokemon designs, this is fine but I prefer the simplicity of the older games.

Not to say I don't like some of the Gen 3, 4 or 5 Pokemon (I will admit I've liked less and less of the Pokemon as time has passed), I'm just one of those "I remember the good old days" types.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    In general, I immediately press them as to why and present them with the good parts of later generations. I can accept it if they give me good reasons, though. For example, once on PC I was discussing this with someone who said they didn't like how cartoony/curvy Pokemon have become, and gave me a lot of good examples of why this is true.

But when people say it without backing it up, I usually attribute it to nostalgia and get mildly annoyed, lol.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • I love the old school games, so much nostalgic, but that doesn't mean I don't love Black version. The old games will always hold a special place in my heart because I grew up playing them. Pokemon is Pokemon, whether its number 156, or 556. Sure the new games add more features, and at times become confusing when you have to relearn everything, but Game Freak is just tiring to make the games more interesting and challenging.
    Old School vs Modern?

Simmy93

Aspiring Emulator
    Years
  • It's people just really resistant to change. I am a pokéfanatic but my friend also still likes pokemon. (Here it isn't 'cool' so it died out.) He stopped buying them at sapphire but I continued on. He however maintains they stopped getting good after crystal and that the creators were 'running out of ideas'. I beg to differ. The first and second generation were animalistic but who says that's what pokemon have to be? He said, "An ice cream pokemon, what's next?" The first generation had a blob that turned into anything and a giant pokeball pokemon.

I guess it's an aquired taste. In my opinion more pokemon means more choice, however I am an advocate for an online game/all in one game which would only occur when they stop making regions.

River

Ninjah Penguin <3
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 16, 2011
    Personally, I love the first generation the best. However, I'm no purist or anything like that, I've loved every single one of the rpg games, Including the Ranger and PMD ones. It's just the nice, simple, classic feel of those first 151 pokemon that I grew up with. Johto was a lovely sequel to Kanto, Hoenn was a wonderful sequel to Johto, whatever region Red and Blue Rescue Teams were, they were a wonderful spinoff region, Sinnoh and Unova have both been lots of fun. Do I sometimes miss the simple days of Red, Blue, Green, and Yellow? Sure, but every game they've made since then has had its good qualities.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Whenever I can, I show the people who like the old school Pokemon the newer ones. As for myself, I like the old and new Pokemon equally, with a bit more emphasis on the newer ones.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    1st Generation will always have special place in my heart. It's because Satoshi Sajiri and his company starve themselves when they created the very first Pokemon. But not that make a purist. Not until I realized that Generation 3 Pokemon are the one I fond most. I can accept most kind of pokemon unless it look really silly for me. People should respect Generation 1 nonetheless. I'm getting insulted personally when somebody called them "unoriginal". Special when someone said that just for retaliation against Generation 1-2 purist.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I don't care what everyone says about what's better. As long as they don't push others around saying that 'x was the best stfu about y'. If they were just expressing their opinions, they should say it in a nice and polite way and that they should have their own explanations why.

moments.

quixotic
    Years
  • I'm a sucker for nostalgia and had some of my best memories from the really early days of Pokemon, so I must say I'm one of those people. Not exclusively, I actually think R/S/E was one of the best generations, looking at the game exclusively.
    But the original Pokemon will always have a sort of special place I guess! xP

Years
  • I'm more of a modern schooler. I hyped my interest for Pokemon up the meter during the release of Diamond and Pearl so I'm mostly comfortable with the later ones. Those older dating beyond Hoenn weren't alien to my mind but they don't often come to mind when I speak of Pokemon. :>

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I'm completely fine if the person prefers older pokemon to the new ones since the originals are then bread and butter these first 151 were the building block of the series so they should be looked at with a good deal of respect. But when a person goes as far as too say off handily these pokemon suck and not back it up just cause they are stuck in the past, I am kind of annoyed by that. First it's their unoriginal, yeah of course they are they try and keep up with innovative designs either through new species, new animals, new objects, or new legends. But then they get mad cause their is an Ice Cream Pokemon oh noes that's such a stupid design cause it's based on food! Honestly it's bound to happen eventually so I don't see what the issue is. But apparently stuff like this leads too Pokemon running out of ideas... I'm personally not seeing that, too me they keep it fresh. I have seen many people say at the start of Generation Five that "these pokemon don't even look like pokemon" of course they don't that's what they were setting out to do is create something like we have never seen before. If they didn't do that then people would complain oh that is just a carbon copy of a previous pokemon, yeah they are so running out of ideas. If pokemon is around long enough then of course their will be variations of previous pokes along with a bit of newness added to their design. Too me the older fans can admire and love those generations to whatever extent they want. But please don't go as far as to disrespect a majority of new pokemon cause they are foreign to you, or there not what you grew up to come to love.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • I liked second generation the best. So they're still pretty old, but not new at all.

I'm kind of in the middle on it, there's Pokemon like and dislike from every generation. Buuut I guess if I have to choose it would be older over newer. Pokemon that look exactly like animals that exist are fun.

Duskwire

Battling since 1993~
    Years
  • I personally prefer the first Gen. I don't have a problem with gen 5, I just think it'll take a LOT of getting used to. I think that gen 1-4 are the best. I've never had to deal with anyone saying anything is better or such.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    This is getting a tad derailed into "what region do you like best", so just a friendly reminder that the topic is "How do you reply to people who only like the first 1 or 2 generations?".

Now continue on your merry way~

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    If people prefer the old 150-251, I could care less. However, when they mention that the older generations were best generations, as if stated as a fact, I'll get irritated. It's just that if we only had the first and second gen Pokemon, we'd get bored fast. I embrace the new changes, because that's what's interesting to me.

cazzler

Feraligatr FtW!
    Years
  • I really don't understand how they don't like these newer generations, they've got interesting Pokemon, characters, places, etc. Although I used to dislike gens IV - V but they grew onto me, its hard to choose a favourite gen since there all so good and have their own pro's and cons...

Roconza

Crazy girl say wha?
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    Like it's been said there a little bit o good in all the gens. I try not to be harsh on the new pokemon and give them time. Sooner or later they begin to grow on me. I grew up with the old gens and love them but I'm sick of hearing people bash the new gens with out ever playing them.

Back