• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Released] (Open World) Pokémon Return To Blaze And Blades Demo

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Are the skill trees (if you inplement them) going to be sepparate for each pokemon or aply for every pokemon.

The skill tree would be for every pokemon. I like your ideas for the skill tree too. They are exactly the kind that have a noticeable effect while playing. Their is the issue of how to organize a skill tree... but that is a problem for another day. Still thanks for the ideas, if a skill tree gets implemented it will definitely have at least a couple of those. Great stuff.

I really hope the lack of level don't turn people off from the game. Everyone I have shown the game to likes it but doesn't get how the game would work without leveling even after I explain it to them. I hope when people play the demo they will be able to get it better.

Playing a turn based rpg without levels is fairly common. I have played plenty that don't use levels. Levels are nice because they give a sense of progression and also keep barriers in place to keep the player from advancing too quickly, later giving a real feeling that you powered up. The sense of progression is replicated by catching new pokemon, evolving pokemon, getting held items, and gaining more powerful moves. I would like to restrict the moves available to the player at the beginning of the game when using a heartscale to learn a move. Still the sense of progression is a really big loss and will need some fine tuning. The quest system will help to cover some of that progression loss and if I can get a skill tree to work that will cover the rest (I hope).

Level barriers are still somewhat in place because the enemies pokemon may be 10-20 levels above you and with better moves. The quest system will also help to create some barriers.

To be blunt, levels are artificial and not needed in my game. While levels are a great tool for most pokemon games, in an open world game levels are difficult to deal with for the player and wild pokemon. I found it easier to keep the player static and then alter the difficulty of the enemies they face. I also like that I have eliminated a background stat increase and replaced it with something else.

EDIT: Pika1025 added as a tester, thanks! If anyone else wants to be a tester just message me and I'll be glad to add you.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2019
    - Moves will not be gained through level any longer. They will either be learned from the Move Tutor in exchange for a heartscale or taught from a TM.
    This is just a suggestion but you should probably have the move a move tutor teaches unlocked for that pokemon and you can reteach it to that pokemon if you go back to the move tutor. This way people don't risk using up tons heartscales to test out new sets or switching from sets.
    (also make sure heartscales are renewable)

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Heartscales are scattered across the world. There are currently 5 static heartscale events per 50x50 outdoor map and each heartscale has a 1/20 chance of appearing; giving the player a 1/4 chance of having one heartscale appear at one of the five events on a map. If the player does not see the heartscale or does not pick it up, it will disappear when the player leaves the map. If the player picks up the heartscale, the event will still have a 1/20 chance of appearing the next time they enter that map giving the player an endless supply. So total heartscale events currently in game, is between 250-300.

Balancing may be needed, but this system provides a nice base to work with. It gives the player a limitless supply, and they can potentially find a heartscale anywhere outside, underwater, or underground. But they still need to go looking for one. Only one out of four times passing through route 1 will there be a hearscale; and the heartscales are not just by the side of the road.

I think i mentioned this earlier, but on my wish list is a feature that limits what moves the player can learn in the beginning. As for the feature to reteach a move for free... while definitely possible I believe that will take quite a bit of work and I would most likely need to get some help with the programming. (I think) This feature will have to go on my wish list for the moment, but I agree that would be really nice.

The plus side is, I don't think people will need to switch back and forth between movesets in this game that often. I would like to make it harder than an official pokemon game, but not so hard that to beat the final four you need to have a perfect team with exactly this set of moves to even stand a chance. I would like to land somewhere in between.

ant4456

Anthony4456
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2021
    how is dev going? Feels like it hasn't been updated in quite a bit

Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2020
    You're insane, and I love it.
    I totaly support this game. Give me that banner!

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2022
    Not dead yet. It sat for a few months untouched, but I have been a bug crushing machine the past week. All known game breaking bugs are gone. I have removed multiple save files for now. Second pass on every main land area is done. Implementation of where wild pokemon are, is nearly done. Hopefully by tonight, it will be. Not all pokemon will be in the demo. Some have been reserved for other areas such as the land of the lost which will include all dinosaur like pokemon. Trying not to add any new features for the most part before the release of the demo as well.

I have some time in the next few weeks to work on this a lot. And I would like to polish it up.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2022
    Wow. This is the most brilliant idea I have ever seen for a pokemon game. I love the idea of missions, it's amazing that it's open world, so impressive. I would definitely play this. Love the ride feature, especially flying. Though, it would be cool if maybe there could be difficulty options, cuz I'm not that great at battling. :P Anyway, good luck, happy developing, awesome job on what I saw in the video and screenshots. :P

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    Oh my gosh. How do people come up with these wonderful ideas. Definitely want to play this.

Back