• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Opinions about Friend Codes

Are friend codes evil?

• Yes

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
Years
  • I think friend codes were a very stupid idea since the very beginning.

I think that having a "Username" system would be better, since they can be unique to somebody.

You register it, make a password, and people can add your Username, instead of a stupid code.

What do you think?

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2013
    thats good and bad at the same time. it would be easier to register someones username than 12 numbers. but, wouldnt it become like email? where it couldnt be just an example John Doe. it'd have to be John Doe2883, or John_Doe153. there would end up being too many for people to actually get what they want.
    plus, FC's arent just like, someones phone number, its the games way of recognizing other games when online. seeing as numbers are a computers first language (binary) i would assuming it'd be easier to use numbers instead of letters.
    thats my two cents.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Friend codes are fine, yours is a silly idea tbh. A pre-generated number saves the effort of spending ages trying to find a name that's free. A username/password system is more effort than the DS can handle. Also, as soon as you get into a battle/trade your name comes up anyway, and doesnt require a stupid set of numbers to follow. Finally, a person's uniqeness is displayed in their team and play style, I for one do not pay attention to names at all.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    Friend codes are fine, yours is a silly idea tbh. A pre-generated number saves the effort of spending ages trying to find a name that's free. A username/password system is more effort than the DS can handle. Also, as soon as you get into a battle/trade your name comes up anyway, and doesnt require a stupid set of numbers to follow. Finally, a person's uniqeness is displayed in their team and play style, I for one do not pay attention to names at all.

The DS could handle an XBL Gamertag-like system just fine. Don't illude yourself.

Wulf

Am I kawaii know? Uguu~
    Years
  • Oh, hai AJ. A username would be lovely, then I could spread the name of Wulf around the world better.

Metakazam

Is a Loon.
    Years
  • Friend Codes is a good enough system IMO besides do you have any idea how hard it would be to get the name you actually wanted I'd be like James1232156435.

Patchy

-
    Years
  • FCs are way better. I mean, the reasons everyone else has mentioned and, also, think of what stupid little kids would put their usernames as. Nintendo could get in trouble for that. And they'd have to put a limit of seven on it (probably), and since there's MILLIONS of games around the world with another one on the way, people wouldn't be able to get usernames at all. :(

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
  • I think friend codes were a very stupid idea since the very beginning.

I think that having a "Username" system would be better, since they can be unique to somebody.

You register it, make a password, and people can add your Username, instead of a stupid code.

What do you think?

AGREED

sony and microsoft make adding friends easy
    nintendo's being overproteive...

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2008
    I do not think friend codes are evil but unfortunately I am unable to get mine.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2009
    It works with email, why shouldn't it work with Games?

Because everyone can access emails for free.

If parents find out their kids are using their own names in their user name (instead of Fwend codes) then they go after Nintendo, since they (presumably) bought the games for their children, and what they payed for is actually a possible risk.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Are we seriously talking about what's "stupid" with friend codes?

AJ™ said:
    I think friend codes were a very stupid idea since the very beginning.

If you want to go bashing friend codes, at least elaborate why you hate it. From what I'm getting, it's just entering it? Is that why you dislike friend codes, because you can't enter some numbers, or that it may take some time? "Since the very beginning" Good god, would you rather want to go back to link cables and playing your relatives or few neighbors? We can play people across the flippin' world for crying out loud, and just because you have a rough time entering some simple digits, you begin to think it's a stupid idea overall? o.0 Not trying to sound harsh or offensive, but come on now. You should very well know it's great you can at least play people over wifi. =D

nintendo's being overproteive...

Think about the position Nintendo is in for a second. Let's face it, we all know Pokémon appeals and lures in the smaller age groups. They must be protective and overprotective with this system of access. Do you think parents would want to buy their children video games were there could be a large possibility of pedophiles and such? If wifi battling were say... free connection access, like a wifi room or something. Pokémon would simply get hammered. They care about the smaller age groups, and they very well should.

Can someone please explain to me what's the big deal? From what I see... It's just some numbers. You can memorize the alphabet, can't you? Then what's so hard about entering a simple code to add someone. And you don't have to enter the game name, so you customize that and can give that person whatever name you wish.

I kinda think friend codes are like a long phone number. (As it was said earlier it's more than that) Why be picky on the system we have to play people across the world, when... if you think about it... Heck, at least we have a system to play people across the world. Couple of years ago you could only use a tiny link cable, would you all just like to go back to that horror film again?

Friend codes are not evil, nor complicated. You give someone your number. You enter some digits, you give the person a name you can remember them by. You battle and trade later on... No big deal. x_o It might be a pain to some of you, but for me? I'm perfectly content with it. ;D

Last edited:

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • o_o;
    Wow, after being bashed by BeachBoy, i'm not so hateful of friend codes now. :P

But what really angers me is when you play D/P on another DS, and you need to "Reset" your friend code.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • o_o;
    Wow, after being bashed by BeachBoy, i'm not so hateful of friend codes now. :P

But what really angers me is when you play D/P on another DS, and you need to "Reset" your friend code.

Well, yeah, didn't mean to come off so strong. XD

Mmm, didn't know that seeing as I only have my DS anyway. =/ At least I now know one of the faults in it. Maybe they thought people wouldn't switch their DS consistently or often, I guess. I suppose you mean by getting a newer version of DS... Mmm, yeah, does seem like that can get to someone. I haven't experienced it myself so I wouldn't know. Is it that difficult to "reset" the code? o.0 But overall, that problem could surely get resolved somehow. So yeah, I don't believe it's an idiotic system, maybe difficult for some, but overall... not idiotic. :)

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • Your pal pad gets erased, too.
    And when you have the whole thing filled up with people, it's hard to add them all back D:

Years
  • Your pal pad gets erased, too.
    And when you have the whole thing filled up with people, it's hard to add them all back D:

I think it was a bit silly at only allowing a certain amount of people in the Pad. I know that size is an issue, but considering (for example this site) People will know a lot of people and want to battle them all the time. It is a bit tedious having to re-enter them. :/

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
  • Mmm, didn't know that seeing as I only have my DS anyway. =/ At least I now know one of the faults in it. Maybe they thought people wouldn't switch their DS consistently or often, I guess. I suppose you mean by getting a newer version of DS... Mmm, yeah, does seem like that can get to someone. I haven't experienced it myself so I wouldn't know. Is it that difficult to "reset" the code? o.0 But overall, that problem could surely get resolved somehow. So yeah, I don't believe it's an idiotic system, maybe difficult for some, but overall... not idiotic. :)

I only had my DS, up until it broke on me. Though I'd hated the idea of switching to a DS Lite (I had a Silver "brick" =D ) because the game made it sound like the entirety of your save data would be wiped, in order to reset your code. They really messed up in wording, when you register your cartridge to the DS.

On notion of Pal Pad, that is probably the biggest pain. I had quite a few codes on mine, but now they're all lost, until I can find them all out, again, and let those people know my new code. With the Pal Pad reset and Code reset, the biggest pain of them all is people having to re-enter your code, before you can trade with them again, and likewise for you, with theirs'.

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • I only had my DS, up until it broke on me. Though I'd hated the idea of switching to a DS Lite (I had a Silver "brick" =D ) because the game made it sound like the entirety of your save data would be wiped, in order to reset your code. They really messed up in wording, when you register your cartridge to the DS.

On notion of Pal Pad, that is probably the biggest pain. I had quite a few codes on mine, but now they're all lost, until I can find them all out, again, and let those people know my new code. With the Pal Pad reset and Code reset, the biggest pain of them all is people having to re-enter your code, before you can trade with them again, and likewise for you, with theirs'.

I agree with you 100% that is so annoying. D:

Back