• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Opinions on BW/Gen V?

Years
  • Best storyline of all the games and one of the better regions in my opinion. However, I think the pokemon in the game fall short of the mark. Also, i wish they would have put some old gen pokemon in to catch before you finish the main storyline but make them quite rare or something like that. Overall though the best pokemon game except maybe emerald for me.

Autobot Silverwynde

Automaton Protector
    Years
  • Honestly, this is my favorite Gen yet. I haven't picked up SS and played it since February and I have no desire to do so. It almost feels like a step down to me. (Sure, I have a Pokémon following me, but their sprites don't move on the status screen and I expect them to move, not stay static!) Black's storyline was awesome and the Pokémon...

I've never used a Fighting type before this Gen. Not a pure Fighting type, anyway. But now I love Fighting types and I owe it all to Sawk. Early in the game, Sawk was my hero and pulled me out of quite a few jams. Ground or Ghost types? Wouldn't touch them. But now, my team isn't my team if I don't have my Golurk. This Gen has some of the best Pokémon I've ever had the chance to train. Sure, there are a few clunkers (I'm looking at you, Patrat...) but overall this Gen is great.

The only major downsides I've had with Black have been the lack of a VS Seeker, the inability to send over items from the past games (I have 20 Lustrous Orbs that are just going to stay on Pearl...) and the Poké Transfer mini-game. I prefer Pal Park; it's a lot more fun.

This is, without a doubt, my favorite Pokémon game to date. Bring on the third game, please. :classic:

The Yellow Flash

Flying Thunder God
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2011
    I think Black and White had one of the most in depth stories so far, but I'm a sucker for nostalgia so I like HeartGold and SoulSilver more. Don't get me wrong, I loved the new region and all, but the region isn't enough to buy me. There were a lot of Pokemon I was disappointed with. Hell, I can't even remember most of the Pokemon. (I did only play through the game once. Working on my second.) The only Pokemon I really remember is Bisharp. He was my favorite and probably the reason I love Unova. For me the best regions go Hoenn, Johto, Sinnoh, Unova, and then Kanto.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • They were OK. There are a lot of good new Pokemon (Reuniclus, Elgyem, Golett/Golurk, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Krookodile...) but they haven't made this game too much better. Unless "Gray" is much better, this is only barely better than Sinnoh.

Gen. 3<Gen. 2<Gen. 1<Gen. 5<Gen.4

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 10, 2023
    pretty much disliked B/W due to the lack of effort they seemed to put into the game itself. the sprites look like junk, they are running out of ideas for the sprites and new pokemon along with the new pokemon games. lately IMO the series has taken a downward tumble with those that have grown up with the original series. is my least favorite among all generations other than the fact that you can transfer from gen to gen. otherwise poorly done IMO

Mr. Waltzie

Major Fan!
    Years
  • First impression: Why are the new Pokemon look so ugly? =(

But after playing the whole adventure, I honestly thought that the Pokemon grew on me very quickly. And the graphics is brilliant, splendid! But story-wise, of course it's better than Diamond and Pearl, but still cannot surpass Ruby and Sapphire. When I was playing Pokemon Black version, I was like "Thank god that the story is not as boring as Sinnoh's (no offense DPPt fans ><)". But the story after all, isn't so satisfying. Hopefully it can be more thrilling if they ever are going to release the third version of Unova stories.

Years
  • So I use to think 1st gen and 2nd gen were the best...

Okay months later I finally have defeated white version

(I played it doing Sydian's favorite challenge so I could ease into a brand new Pokedex with some of my classic favs, which are 1st gen and 2nd gen pokes mostly because I hate 3rd and 4th gen with a passion)

Well wow

just wow

I think the reason 1st gen and 2nd gen are loved so much is because of that feeling we associate with playing them and waiting for them during our childhood, so of course 3rd and 4th, which came out towards my later years, just doesn't hold the same magic.

Well here I am a 22 year old who is dedicated to the original games

and I think 5th gen is the best out of all of them

To start we have Team Plasma

I already forgot the name of the Team in 4th gen, because they were forgettable, and their purpose was stupid. I don't even remember their purpose, so boo.

Team Plasma on the other hand not only hits the streets spreading their word, and have hardcore followers so I really believe them to be an enemy and not just an obstacle.

Another thing that made this game awesome was characters had depth. There were more to the gym leaders then just what they say before and after you get the badge they all help you stand up against Team Plasma. On my twitter I've made fun of N being a green haired boy band reject with fairy wings, but has much more depth and interesting qualities to him than even the Team Rocket leader. Not only does he bring an extra interest in battle by having a different team each time, and I want to know more about him.

(Except those close ups I don't enjoy them and they scare me)

Clearly the game developers wanted to make N interesting as well as I believe his the only trainer to ever use a legendary Pokemon in battle (I might be wrong)

Other things I loved

Maybe I'm not that big of a fan of the Pokemon, but I like them a lot better than 3rd and 4th gen pokes. Woobat is too cute.

K here is my list of why I heart this game

1. The HM BS has been fixed. No more 30 different water HM's just to get to one city or having an army of HM slaves. An HM move is only required once or twice to actually move forward, and a few times in side quest. I like this, now how far you make it in the game relies on story rather than a bush sitting in your way.

2. Overworld animation: Is it just me, or everytime my female trainer picks up an item does it remind anyone of the princess from Chrono Trigger? It just has a classic rpg look to it, which sometimes I forget, Pokemon truly is. I love the gym animation as well, the Iris' dragon gym was amazing.

3. Music, going back to that old roleplaying feel the music in this game is beautiful and I'm ready to go pop over to OCremix and see if there is anything in the works I could have this on my iPod. Other than the looping music from the first 2 gens that are stuck in my head none of the music has been too memorable, but I actually want to hear the 5th gen melodies.

4. Okay this might be a bias thing. I love rpgs, but I hate dungeons, there was nothing super complicated in this game, it was just straight forward grinding and training.

Gah I'll think of something more later I'm just too in love with this game and I can't wait to get a new SD card so I can put it in my acekard and continue where I left off on Black Version.

Til then I've got side quests and a Pokedex to work on.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Okay months later I finally have defeated white version

(I played it doing Sydian's favorite challenge so I could ease into a brand new Pokedex with some of my classic favs, which are 1st gen and 2nd gen pokes mostly because I hate 3rd and 4th gen with a passion)

Well wow

just wow

I think the reason 1st gen and 2nd gen are loved so much is because of that feeling we associate with playing them and waiting for them during our childhood, so of course 3rd and 4th, which came out towards my later years, just doesn't hold the same magic.

Well here I am a 22 year old who is dedicated to the original games

and I think 5th gen is the best out of all of them

To start we have Team Plasma

I already forgot the name of the Team in 4th gen, because they were forgettable, and their purpose was stupid. I don't even remember their purpose, so boo.

Team Plasma on the other hand not only hits the streets spreading their word, and have hardcore followers so I really believe them to be an enemy and not just an obstacle.

Another thing that made this game awesome was characters had depth. There were more to the gym leaders then just what they say before and after you get the badge they all help you stand up against Team Plasma. On my twitter I've made fun of N being a green haired boy band reject with fairy wings, but has much more depth and interesting qualities to him than even the Team Rocket leader. Not only does he bring an extra interest in battle by having a different team each time, and I want to know more about him.

(Except those close ups I don't enjoy them and they scare me)

Clearly the game developers wanted to make N interesting as well as I believe his the only trainer to ever use a legendary Pokemon in battle (I might be wrong)

Other things I loved

Maybe I'm not that big of a fan of the Pokemon, but I like them a lot better than 3rd and 4th gen pokes. Woobat is too cute.

K here is my list of why I heart this game

1. The HM BS has been fixed. No more 30 different water HM's just to get to one city or having an army of HM slaves. An HM move is only required once or twice to actually move forward, and a few times in side quest. I like this, now how far you make it in the game relies on story rather than a bush sitting in your way.

2. Overworld animation: Is it just me, or everytime my female trainer picks up an item does it remind anyone of the princess from Chrono Trigger? It just has a classic rpg look to it, which sometimes I forget, Pokemon truly is. I love the gym animation as well, the Iris' dragon gym was amazing.

3. Music, going back to that old roleplaying feel the music in this game is beautiful and I'm ready to go pop over to OCremix and see if there is anything in the works I could have this on my iPod. Other than the looping music from the first 2 gens that are stuck in my head none of the music has been too memorable, but I actually want to hear the 5th gen melodies.

4. Okay this might be a bias thing. I love rpgs, but I hate dungeons, there was nothing super complicated in this game, it was just straight forward grinding and training.

Gah I'll think of something more later I'm just too in love with this game and I can't wait to get a new SD card so I can put it in my acekard and continue where I left off on Black Version.

Til then I've got side quests and a Pokedex to work on.

It's nice you think all that, but it fits into the opinions of B/W thread, so I merged the two. :3 I agree they're awesome though!

ThePokeBoss

PokePimp
    Years
  • I liked it, the new story and the nice 3d effects. ofcourse, its not as good as some people say. but it was fun. i started with a snivy and ended using a sandile. i like the items and the story, but your friends interrupting you every town was really annoying, unlike other games.

Years
  • I'm going slightly against the grain here. A lot of people have said that this gen reminds them of Hoenn and the Gen III originals. I've never really been a big fan of those particular games (in fact I've never got to the League). I've been playing White for three days now, which may be too little for me to judge fully, but I'm getting the same sense from this game that I originally got from Ruby.

It may be that I still play HG excessively, as the second gen was always my favourite, but I don't feel as involved. The range of Pokémon I've encountered so far (up to Route 4) haven't wowed me and I've found levelling anything up to be a chore. I like the idea behind the new experience system but so far all it has seemed to do is impede my progress and the exp drop seems to be a little too harsh. Perhaps a part of my disinterest comes from being denied any of the previous gen Pokémon for the entire duration of the story. I understand that Game Freak want people to be interested in the new Pokémon but they managed that in D/P while still keeping some old Pokémon in the pre-National Dex.

The battle system... what can I say. I've not run into a triple or rotation battle yet, so I can't comment on those. However, from my experience with wild battles there seems to be something slightly off about the one-on-one battles in this game. It could just be that I've had terrible luck with my IVs, but even super effective hits aren't doing as much damage as I recall and I'm having to work harder to get less EXP.

I'm surprised by the amount of features that have been taken out. The ow following sprite for the lead Pokémon was a fantastic idea and really added to the experience, despite being a minor element. Not being able to rebattle trainers also seems to be a huge step backwards. Also the lack of a Safari Zone (especially since the fantastic system from HGSS was hugely useful for completing the dex) seems odd, as there are precious few ways to get older Pokémon now.

The story looks like it could be deeper than any PKMN game so far and I'm willing to give it a go. I've heard nothing but good things about the new storyline and I'm looking forward to seeing it play out.

So whether it's just that I'm old, or because it's a drastic change, I'm having trouble getting into this series. I might report back should something drastic happen or I figure something out that dramatically changes my gameplay experience.

I agree with 80-90% of what you said here. Either way, I'm glad you took the time to write a decent-sized criticism which I normally wouldn't have the patience to do.

Unova is alright, but not great. I'd rank the regions thus far as follows: Hoenn>Johto>Sinnoh>Unova>Kanto.

Skwishee

Pokemon Collector
    Years
  • Interesting thread, some people have pointed out points I'd never even considered...

As for me, I found White a little dissapointing.
    I really got into the story and I agree with others, that it is the best story line in a Pokemon game.

The pokemon were alright, I found it encouraged me to catch pokemon alot more throughout the game as every 5 minutes I found myself saying 'what the heck is that?!' and automatically wanting one.
    I'm glad they kept just the new pokemon in for the main bulk of the game, for once there were no magikarps or zubats popping up!

The game itself was much to short.
    I am in complete agreeance with Althea, why was the content so lacking?
    I've had Soul Silver since last year and I'm still finding things to do! I've had White since March this year and I stopped playing it months ago, because there was nothing, the Musical was fun for about 5 minutes and White Forest wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be.

Yes the battling was faster, but why make such a big deal about 3 on 3/rotation battles and then barely any NPC's even use these styles? I seem to remember only two or three trainers in the entire region that used the new battling systems. Why not more?

And dear sugar, why another fire/fighting starter?! They've had such interesting combinations for the water and grass starters, yet only fire/fighting for the past 3 generations? Why?!

The only additional content I would say is a step forward would be the Dream World. A good way of collecting berries, meeting people, trading items, gathering a few pokemon (its hard to control what pops up) and having a nice house to decorate. Plus the mini-games on pokemon.com that allow you to win pokemon like the eevee evolutions, I've probably spent more time doing that, than I have in the actual game!

I really enjoyed the game but it was just so short and didn't leave me much to do once it was finished. I felt that within White, there was so much left to be desired.

Kanto and Johto are my favourite regions having grown up playing Blue/Yellow/Crystal so I found with all the advancements and extra content that I've seen grow over the years, White just seemed to be lacking.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • Playthrough was great and I love the plotline and some of the new pokemon, but post-game was disappointingly bad.

Years
  • I was pretty upset last generation with the release of Purugly and Nosepass's evolution. Not nearly as upset, however, as with the release of the ice cream Pokemon in generation 5. I really do appreciate most of the additions to the Pokedex, though. I would have preferred a different fire starter (not fire/fighting), but I've gained some favorites out of this new generation as well.
    I like that the plotline is a bit of a branch away from the traditional "group of bad guys trying to take over the world," with the humorous bunch of Pokemon liberators. The rival, too, was a good step away from how rivals had previously been introduced and conducted.
    As for post-game play, I was disappointed. It seemed like as soon as the credits finished scrolling and I reentered the Unova region, I was at a loss of what to do next and soon after, took a break from playing the game. Currently, my only attachment to the game is EV training, and even that is a slow road.
    All things considered, Black and White are enjoyable contributions to the Pokemon series and would encourage Pokemon fans to play through one of them.

Nephilim

Resounding Sounds.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2012
    Um...I suppose I found B/W a bit more enjoyable than HG/SS? I honestly wish they didn't completely modify that Battle Frontier though and made it into a Subway. In a way, there are a lot of disappointments with B/W, and what made it really stand out as compared to the previous versions was the storyline. The Pokemon designs weren't all that, but honestly, most of us stopped caring about that ever since the release of 4th, generation, right(I guess this generation tells most people a lesson to stop having high expectations of cool-looking Pokemon)?

HG/SS was fun for me in the sense that I had a lot of things to do, and I had a purpose: To raise an in-game team to beat all of the frontier brains and all that(didn't really accomplish this yet, but that's not the point). And then well..there was just so much to do in HG/SS, at least, I feel that a lot more effort was put into the development of that remake than the actual main game, which I find pretty shocking for the most part. It's kind of like B/W downgraded in a sense, but only improved when it came to battle graphics and graphics pretty much everywhere else.

But then again, I think of it this way: D/P wasn't overly impressive either with it's terrible surfing/lagging speed and whatnot, and those issues were fixed when Platinum was released(someone correct me if I'm wrong on this), so if anything, I'm really hoping 5th gen does redeem itself by the time a third version comes out, if it comes out. Otherwise, HG/SS and perhaps(I daresay), even R/S/E have B/W beat by quite a longshot, at least, to me.

Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2011
    Black and White made me enjoy Pokémon that aren't from the first generation of games, which is a huge deal to me.

They were very well done, I'm glad you only had new Pokémon until the post game. It gave me something to do after the E4.

flubbateios

Black / White has been a great game for me but the pokemon were not as good as the other games , now my party uses more gen III and gen IV Pokemon, the music was good , the locations were good the league was good but round 1 was WEAK and no challenge unlike sinnoh's league the second elite four goes over ghestis's and n's top level pokemon. So really the most fun game for me was rubby/sapphire , the storyline is amazing, the league is not too hard not too easy the pokemon are the best in all gen's to me and the rematches are great, so overall I think it is quite sad to be waiting for this amazing new game with new everything and it turns out to be a very short game and they chucked away the entire battle frontier and replaced it with one battle subway which only has the features of the battle tower

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2011
    plot, in my opinion, was FANTASTIC. but postgame play is awful. i did not enjoy it as much as i did for heartgold and soulsilver. hg/ss are my personal favorites. but thats just me, what about you guys

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I love the game, the storyline and almost all the new features and graphics are amazing, but the play-through was really fast imo, or it just seemed that way. And I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the gen V Pokémon, I've been playing Pokémon since I was 7 years old, and when you have experienced every generation up till now, a Pokémon like Stunfisk just makes me wanna throw up. (No offense to Stunfisk lovers) There are so many Pokémon in V gen that just don't look like real Pokémon to me, there are only a few that I really like. But the game is fun anyway.

Also the dream world is a nice addition, very enjoyable.

Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2011
    Gen IV is Not as Good as it Could Have Been

First off, I am a pokemon veteran. And all I can say is, well, I will make a list:
    1. The back sprites are pixelated as hell
    2. The looks just look too complicated, sinnoh was pushing it, unova crossed the line
    3. The names of half the pokemon are cheesy as hell
    4. The graphics are great, but differ too much from the original series, marts and pokemon centers should remain separate
    5. the routes took significantly longer to get through
    6. All of the new elements brought forth in HG/SS were completely disregarded in these games.

These games were extremely fun, but had major faults, but hey, it killed time in study hall and my gpa.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    First off, I am a pokemon veteran. And all I can say is, well, I will make a list:
    1. The back sprites are pixelated as hell
    2. The looks just look too complicated, sinnoh was pushing it, unova crossed the line
    3. The names of half the pokemon are cheesy as hell
    4. The graphics are great, but differ too much from the original series, marts and pokemon centers should remain separate
    5. the routes took significantly longer to get through
    6. All of the new elements brought forth in HG/SS were completely disregarded in these games.

These games were extremely fun, but had major faults, but hey, it killed time in study hall and my gpa.

We're generation V though :( Either way merged with opinions of Black and White thread which is where you were meant to post.

Back