• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Opinions?

Monophobia

Already Dead
Years
  • Honestly, I love art. Every aspect of it. What it's worth to some people. I even like how art has a different definition for every person.

I just wanted to post these three sketches I did last year to get people's opinions. Sadly, I don't have a scanner, so I can't get better quality. Buuut...I figure they're at least see-able. I'm no artist, that's for sure, but I think with a little practice and a lot of effort, I could get better.

The sketches are attached. Tell me what ya think! Harsh criticism is fine. {XD}

Magistrum

☆The Fakemon Magister☆
    Years
  • Hi Gym Leader Mark!

Nice "sketches", although tbh I've never sketched with ballpoint pens before since I can't erase the lines I've made. The ones you got are more like doodles in that regard.

My advice is for you to do your strokes lighter and try not to make a curving gesture when you lift your pen at the end of the line, since judging from the pictures, your lines tend to make a "u-turn" or curved ends which is more evident on the third pic.

Also, try not to cover the whole drawing with strokes; it tends to make your drawings look creepy and shabby. Breathing space in an artwork is important so as to not clutter the drawing.

Also, practice more on light and shadows; drawing a crow doesn't mean it's plain dark all over. Doing highlights depending on where your light source is would definitely help make your design more alive. :)

I hope that helps, keep at it :)

Saki

The Fire Fox
    Years
  • I love pen sketches! Also your subject is a good one, birds are very diverse, I would love to see more from you. My advice: get yourself some charcoal. It seems like your style would suit charcoal sketches as well. It's also a ton of fun and a neat way to experience new techniques with traditional art.

Last edited:

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • Hi Gym Leader Mark!

Nice "sketches", although tbh I've never sketched with ballpoint pens before since I can't erase the lines I've made. The ones you got are more like doodles in that regard.

My advice is for you to do your strokes lighter and try not to make a curving gesture when you lift your pen at the end of the line, since judging from the pictures, your lines tend to make a "u-turn" or curved ends which is more evident on the third pic.

Also, try not to cover the whole drawing with strokes; it tends to make your drawings look creepy and shabby. Breathing space in an artwork is important so as to not clutter the drawing.

Also, practice more on light and shadows; drawing a crow doesn't mean it's plain dark all over. Doing highlights depending on where your light source is would definitely help make your design more alive. :)

I hope that helps, keep at it :)

Thanks for the advice. I understand more about light sources now than I did last year, so I've been working at it more this year. Anyways, I'll definitely take a lot of this into mind next time I get a breather and can sit down and actually draw. {XD}

I love pen sketches! Also your subject is a good one, birds are very diverse, I would love to see more from you. My advice: get yourself some charcoal. It seems like your style would suite charcoal sketches as well. It's also a ton of fun and a neat way to experience new techniques with traditional art.

I never actually thought about charcoal as a medium, thanks! :P

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    You know, I'm disappointed in myself that it took me so long to find time to comment in this gallery. For some reason, I always felt like bird drawings/sketches are a cornerstone of good artistry, don't ask me why. So, when I saw your drawings, I found myself rather surprised by just how much content was in them. It's the third drawing that caught my eye the most, actually. The shapes and forms you used to distinguish the wings (specifically the curvatures) reminds me so much of flex-pen art. And I think that's really interesting. Whether on purpose or otherwise, it definitely got my attention, and I like that.

Have you been referencing any photos or books when drawing your birds? Or do you draw by memory? Because I'd personally like so see an example of each from you. So far, I like what you're offering. Please keep it up! :)

Monophobia

Already Dead
    Years
  • You know, I'm disappointed in myself that it took me so long to find time to comment in this gallery. For some reason, I always felt like bird drawings/sketches are a cornerstone of good artistry, don't ask me why. So, when I saw your drawings, I found myself rather surprised by just how much content was in them. It's the third drawing that caught my eye the most, actually. The shapes and forms you used to distinguish the wings (specifically the curvatures) reminds me so much of flex-pen art. And I think that's really interesting. Whether on purpose or otherwise, it definitely got my attention, and I like that.

Have you been referencing any photos or books when drawing your birds? Or do you draw by memory? Because I'd personally like so see an example of each from you. So far, I like what you're offering. Please keep it up! :)

Thank you very much for the interest in my art. :o

Actually, I looked at a picture of the bird on Google, studied it, and then went to another room to test my memory of the image by sketching (or otherwise doodling in pen) what I remembered.

Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2014
    Not bad I guess. I'd like to see more but maybe less obvious pokemon choices.

Back