• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Original Pokemon or Made Up?

Original Pokemon or Made Up

• Original Pokemon

Votes: 184 75.7%
  • Made Up Pokemon

Votes: 59 24.3%

• Total voters

sammydabammy

Pokemon Master
Years
    • Seen May 22, 2009
    I like Fake pokemon cause it makes it more original...
    ...and more.. Hack like, if you know what I mean, which, its a good thing!

Mechz

Nostalgist
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2012
    the problem with fake pokemon is that either 1) They can't be fully realized due to limitations in skill/time, or 2) If they are fully realized, they tend to be really awful self-servicing "cool" overpowered pokemon.

Small-scale pixel art is probably the easiest medium of digital art. I've been doing it for almost a decade now, and I've got to say: The first thing you need to do before adding Pokemon is to STUDY THE PIXEL STRUCTURE OF CURRENT SPRITES. Usually the fakemons have ugly black outlines, glaring color schemes, and poorly executed "shading".

I may be over-critical of fan-work, but I just think that you need to find a proper balance of self-motivation and professionalism in your hack. The former because you need to have fun and be interested in doing it, but the latter so you have a ****ing reason to put it on people's faces.

Years
  • original ones...
    better we cud use new trainer sprites than new pokemon,,
    and above all ya i too like pokemon upto 150..
    dragon type wasmy fav...
    and i hate the idea of making steel type so much resistive....merely to overcome dragon type!!!
    and in newer generations they have screwed kanto trio..
    articuno learning moves so late and that too so little,,
    blizzard on 73???

Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2009
    Original Pokemon, the fakemon show alot of effort but they are usually ugly looking for a pokemon game imo. There are a few hacks where i actually like the fakemon.

MewtwoMaster1

straight outta cianwood
    Years
  • Well, I prefer real Pokemon, because it stays more "true to the original", and not the hacker turning the game into their own (even if it is, technically, their own...).

sudden_hit

The Chikorita lover :]
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    I prefer Original pokemon as they are made by proffesionals and are almost always going too look much better than Fake pokemon. Most people seem to lack in enthusiasm when making Fake pokemon and sort of make all the pokemon pretty similar but with the odd colour change or shape change... It just gets a bit repetative and are all Black lines on the outside with no AA whatsoever :S But I suppose if there were some really GOOD fake pokemon i wouldnt mind playing the game with them.

X-aveon

IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2012
    i prefer both hackemon,( i don't like fakemon), and pokemon.
    I'm making a hack with pokemon from kanto, johto, hoenn, sinnoh,
    and some hackemon.(most)

here's a sample:: Its called ::Femit::
    Original Pokemon or Made Up?

BTW, Hackemon sounds cooler than Fakemon

Years
  • I kinda agree to both sides of the arguement, as the only reason im tied to both sides is cuz the fakemon right now look really crappy. If someone could make authentic looking graphics, and an authentic stereotypical pokemon storyline (definetly not quartz), i would definetly play with fakemon out of a need for variety.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    yeah original is better, not sure why.

perhaps because the ones who create them spend more time on their creations rather than mapping/storyline.

theEND

Veteran Pixel Artist/Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2008
    The fakemon have to be of good quality

robie392

Pokemon Prof.
    Years
  • I personaly perfer real pokemon but if the made up pokemon is of really high quality it beats the real pokemon, just my opinion!

mistersmeargle

is a scatman.
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2017
    I like a balance of both, my Indoh region has mostly Fan Pokémon and a few originals.

Original Pokemon are my favorite because I think don't think fakemon have much connection to the original anime world.

I will never use fakemon in my hack, but I still respect people who do, it is a lot of hard work to make a fakemon I think.

You do realise that the games came first, right?

And you're right, it's not easy coming up with Fan Pokémon.

Poryhack

March 14th
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    It seems many of you only want real pokemon... I can't understand why though. If every other aspect of the game is changed, why not that as well?

I think bad quality fakemon may have spoiled your views on them as a whole, but fakemon can be done right, and when they are, the result it 10x better than a regular ROM hack. It's like a whole new generation!

dracolord775

Lord of Darkness, I think...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    It really depends like how many others have said, If the fakemon are good then I like it, if not scap the hack.

dinosaur77777hacks

pokemon hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2009
    i think fakemon are much better (exept in pokemon chaos black and quartz)
    i like fakemon so i put some in my new game
    who thinks the fakemon in my avatar is good

gothic.child

Knock three times on my coffin
    Years
  • Original POKéMON means that you don't hack the MAIN element of the game.
    [/thread]

I agreed, its about pokemon so you should change the pokemon so that it feels new and you get to fight with some thing new and not the same pokemon again and again.

Its also hard to make a pokedex full of good fakemons, I think its one of the hardest thing to do when you are making a hack, is to come up with the idea for one.

Like this little guy, that i just made up!

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    It's hard to make, that's very well said. But some people just don't appreciate them DX

Back