• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

overused phrases and expressions

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
  • Well, they don't typically bother me...except maybe for "Winning!" when it is used by a supposedly professional news source...>__>

I always end up using things like "Like" and whatnot. As in, like, that was so awesome. That kind of like. XD

Raizhu

the end
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I don't, like, think that any, like, um, expressions are, like, overused. Um, I think they're all, like, okay. You know?

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    my friends and i are joke-milkers. we call ourselves "Team Never-Let-it-Go." our jokes derive within our circle though, people who bring internet memes or whatever to irl are just not clever. when someone ruins a funny story by shouting "FAIL!!!!", my laughter turns into weeping for humanity.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Every internet meme. There's a guy in the saxophone section with me whose jokes revolve around internet memes...old ones at that. And it makes me want to punch him in the face because he's not funny.

Truality

Left for good
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2013
    Online, the only phrase that I got bored of reading too often is "no u". I still don't know all the uses for that phrase, anyway.

As for offline, I believe that using popular lines is overused, and sometimes when my friends-specifically, two of them-use them too often, I complain.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I overuse phrases, but they aren't the ones everyone else uses so hopefully people aren't as sick of them.

There's this one girl in some of my classes who uses horribly lame "your face" phrases ALL the time. It's so annoying and I kinda want to slap her sometimes.

smithtism

Blank
    Years
  • Ugh, the classic "It's over 9000!" It might have been funny before, but now it has absolutely no meaning whatsoever. It's just a phrase people say for no good reason and I absolutely hate having to see that phrase whenever I go on the internet.

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.
    Years
  • I must comment on this thread... LIKE A BOSS.

I actually like "like a boss", but some other meme-based things can get annoying. "The game" is one (you just lost btw), and "challenge accepted". I HATE "you jelly?" cuz it doesn't even make sense, and when people slip the word "meow" into everything they say.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I have a particular hate for any meme inspired by The Lonely Island, and an even more particular hate for the 'y u no' meme. Both of them are just... terrible. Why the internet found them hilarious I'll never know.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • My mother overuses a lot of expressions, but the one that springs immediately mind is after we finish eating dinner, she always says "Well if that's dinner, we've had it!" I don't even understand what that means...

But on the subject of memes: There are a lot of things that my friends used to say that I found absolutely hilarious, and I had no idea until very recently that a lot of them were memes. In fact, even just looking through this thread, I had no idea "y u no" and "you jelly?" were memes lol. But I do agree that over 9000 is a little done now, as are 'fail' and 'epic fail'.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    I'm guessing the most overused word is "like". However, as a Californian, I cannot say I hate the word, considering it is usually my filler word of choice. :p

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I really dislike the way I say like after every third or fourth word when speaking. I try not to do it as much online, mainly because of the ability to edit what one says, but offline it's like I can't censor myself with its overuse. I hope I'll be able to reduce saying it when I'm older, as it's going to look weird when I turn 80 and am still talking like a character from Mean Girls.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
  • I don't care if people overusues phrases or expressions because it doesn't really bother me tbh. :/ Some phrases that I use a lot are :: 'Like', 'lol', oh and I use smileys a lot online too xD;, does it count? :D 'screw [insert name/place/object/etc]'... they're all of the ones I can think of right now lol.

Back