• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pain of Broken DS Button

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Same thing happened to me.

And then my top screen broke (Summer of 2009).

The only two games I can play are Animal Crossing Wild World and Golden Sun: Dark Dawn (and it was like a miracle that Golden Sun works on it.).

And even now I haven't even thought of giving in to any of Nintendo's DS rehashes.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I remember when my directional pad on one of my DS' just went haywire. A control pad on one of them became so sensitive that if I touched it, nothing would work right. It would start to move the character in random directions, then it would freeze the console. I have no idea how that h-

Oh, that was my original GBASP.

Sorry, the incident with my other DS is that I couldn't get my L button to register anything, and that sucked, since I couldn't play Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Ironically, my DSLite, which I didn't treat much better then my DSPhat, has lasted a lot longer.

I think my Touch Screen was also going out on my Phat, and my brother now has it. I wonder how it's working for him... and even though it was beginning to fail, I miss that thing.

Solodomo

Psychic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2012
    My old ds lite was working fine with the L and R buttons for like a month then they stopped working. I got the DSi hoping that nintendo figured out there crap L and R buttons suck and need more work put into them, but in the end they stopped working in about 2 months. I just hope nintendo's $250 3DS has better L and R buttons or im gonna cry and scream to the heavens "WHYYYYYY":tired:

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    This same thing happened to my husband. And it made AR useless for his Pokemon game.
    I guess that's good, though. Except he just used it for TMs really, so meh.

Do you guys abuse those buttons or something? I mean, I've never had this problem. I never play games that use them a lot though (besides RuneFactory). I remember on the N64, the analog sticks got worn out really easily, especially if you had Mario Party. (unintentional abuse XD)
    My dad always said that Nintendo did that on purpose so you had to go and buy another one. -_- I don't know how true THAT one is.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2012
    If you have to hold down on the buttons for very long you'll definitely wear them out. I speak from experience here. When I was speedrunning NSMB I held down the right button a lot (naturally, because you're running to the right) and it started getting wonky. After playing Metroid Prime Hunters (in FPSes, motion is mostly in a forward direction) the up button wore out.

I had to get replacement parts and fix it myself. When I opened up the DS and took out the rubber pad under the D-pad I saw that the electrical contacts on the up & right buttons had basically separated from the rubber pad, so when I pressed down on either of those buttons they wouldn't spring back.

I never had any of the more common DS Lite problems like cracked hinges and broken shoulder buttons (despite having played MPH). Maybe it's because the protective case on my DS Lite is a hard plastic one and not a soft silicone one.

Exar Ketchem

So i herd u liek murlocz
    Years
    That happened to my old DS. I loaned my DS to a pawn shop for a week, and when I got it back the R button was broke. Eventually the hinge broke on the same side, not sure if it was related, but I eventually had to get a new DS.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
    haven't had that happen but i've had the pain of dealing with a ****ING BROKEN HINGE BEFORE!!! *rage*
    basically what it meant was that the top screen would just flop around. and so when i tried playing it lying in my bed, i had to hold the top screen so that it wouldn't close... but yeh it was still under warranty and i just got it replaced yesterday for free. not only that but i scored one of those black ds that are red on the outside. (y)

Back