• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Paralells in Black and White from Gen 1.

Sirfetch’d

Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE fan of Black and White. But, it seems like there is a really big similarity in Black and white when compared to Gen 1. That is the pokemon. I am not saying that Gen 5 pokemon are not good, they are just as great if not better, but it seems like they looked at the gen 1 pokedex and got a lot of ideas from there.
    Examples:
    Roggenrolla, Boldore, Gigalith = Geodude, Graveler, Golem

Timburr, Gurdurr, Conkeldurr= Machop, Machoke, Machamp

Tympole, Plapitoad, Seismitoed= Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath

Throh, Sawk= Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan

Trubbish, Garbodor= Grimer, Muk

Ducklett, Swanna= Psyduck Golduck

Foongus, Amoongus= Voltorb, Electrode

Klink, Klang, Klingklang= Magnemite, Magneton, Magnezone(Gen 4)

Bouffalant= Tauros

Genesect= Mewtwo (In the way they were created)

This is just an observation that is commonly made and it just seems there is more comparisons from Black and white to gen 1 than any other game before.

Tell me what you think.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    This goes with all the topics of Unova being a "fresh start". In other games in between, you might find older Pokémon in the wild in another region (see Pidgey, Weedle, Caterpie, Geodude, etc. in Johto) whereas in Unova there was none found (intentionally), and any such similarity you speak of likely stems from that. Eastern Unova was created as a post-E4 activity and to allow players to capture the older generational Pokémon to battle the new E4. Watch for this generation to start making an appearance in a future generation connected somehow to Unova.

Cyclone

Years
    I think it's great that there are so many parallels. (I'm rather fond of the Zubat <-> Woobat one myself, because of the rhyming names.) It makes the new games familiar so I get that slight nostalgia vibe while still getting something entirely new. I also like to see how someone takes a concept, like for instance the living rock that is Geodude, and re-imagining it as something fresh and different.

In my mind Gen V is everything that Gen I could have been, but never was because of a lack of technology or vision when it was made.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    All of those were done on purpose to help older players adjust to the newer games with similar Pokemon.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Tympole, Plapitoad, Seismitoed= Poliwag, Poliwhirl, Poliwrath
    I wouldn't really count that, because Palpitoad doesn't evolve with a Water Stone.

Ducklett, Swanna= Psyduck Golduck
    I actually thought Ducklett and Swanna bore more of a similarity to Wingull and Pelipper, rather than Psyduck and Golduck.

Klink, Klang, Klingklang= Magnemite, Magneton, Magnezone(Gen 4)
    Again, I wouldn't have counted that either, since Klang just evolves in Klinklang normally; no special condition required.

The others are fair enough, but there's a number of examples of this using other Generations other than Gen. V (off the top of my head, Butterfree and Beedrill = Beautifly and Dustox; Pidgey line = Starly line = Pidove line; Pikachu = Plusle and Minun = Pachirisu = Emolga; Mankey and Primeape = Makuhita and Hariyama; Pinsir = Heracross; I could go on). I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, hell, some things in Gen. I were similar to each other (Jigglypuff and Clefairy, Vulpix and Growlithe, and - at the time before Bellossom - Oddish and Bellsprout).

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I don't think evolutions were considered in those comparisons. Namely, he compared three-stage lines with other three-stage lines of a similar type, etc. So Conkeldurr is only evolved by trading, but it still serves the role of a Machamp.

EDIT: So I just read that Machamp evolves from trading. Carry on.

Cyclone

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I wouldn't really count that, because Palpitoad doesn't evolve with a Water Stone.

I actually thought Ducklett and Swanna bore more of a similarity to Wingull and Pelipper, rather than Psyduck and Golduck.

Again, I wouldn't have counted that either, since Klang just evolves in Klinklang normally; no special condition required.

The others are fair enough, but there's a number of examples of this using other Generations other than Gen. V (off the top of my head, Butterfree and Beedrill = Beautifly and Dustox; Pidgey line = Starly line = Pidove line; Pikachu = Plusle and Minun = Pachirisu = Emolga; Mankey and Primeape = Makuhita and Hariyama; Pinsir = Heracross; I could go on). I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, hell, some things in Gen. I were similar to each other (Jigglypuff and Clefairy, Vulpix and Growlithe, and - at the time before Bellossom - Oddish and Bellsprout).

The Tympole and Poliwag lines are similar to one another because they're tadpole-based families.

Also, Victini can considered be a counterpart for Mew because both have 100 base stats all around.

Sirfetch’d

The Tympole and Poliwag lines are similar to one another because they're tadpole-based families.

Also, Victini can considered be a counterpart for Mew because both have 100 base stats all around.

Yeah, the only reason I didn't say Victini is that every gen. there is a "Mew" introduced.
    Mew
    Celebi
    Jirachi
    Manaphy
    Shaymin(Normal form)
    Victini

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Yeah, the only reason I didn't say Victini is that every gen. there is a "Mew" introduced.
    Mew
    Celebi
    Jirachi
    Manaphy
    Shaymin(Normal form)
    Victini
    So you're saying Generation III had two? (Shaymin and Jirachi)

Cyclone

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Gen 4 Manaphy, shaymin Not gen 3.
    My mistake. I confused it as a Gen. IV, despite knowing it's catchable by an event item off of Route 224 near the E4 after defeating them.

So you're therefore saying that Gen. IV has two "Mews" as you call them.

Cyclone

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't think it really matters how many Mew's Gen IV has, especially when you're in a Black and White forum.

Anywya uhh... yeah agreed with Duckett/Swanna being Pelipper and Wingull. idk I don't think the point of this thread is to come up wit a million comparisons though but that'd be fun! But yeah, it's just because it's a brand new start as people have said. What's a better way to start all over again than include better versions of your favourites? n_n

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    Conkeldurr is a bit of a Machamp ripoff but in reality they play differently. Conkeldurr doesn't have such strong Fighting-type moves at his disposal (Cross Chop, DynamicPunch), although it has the improved Drain Punch.

Gigalith sets it apart from Golem because of its type, which comes with advantages and disadvantages. Stat-wise it's also very different. Golem has a better movepool, though.

The largest number of ripoffs of other gens was in Gen III IMO. I've always had Manectric, Aggron and Walrein in my team, but in reality I wanted to have Jolteon, Rhydon and Lapras.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Conkeldurr is a bit of a Machamp ripoff but in reality they play differently. Conkeldurr doesn't have such strong Fighting-type moves at his disposal (Cross Chop, DynamicPunch), although it has the improved Drain Punch.
    To be fair, Drain Punch was only introduced in Gen. IV. It's become one of my favourite Fighting-type moves; it's really a shame it's no longer a TM, as several of my Fighting Pokémon would do excellently with this move (especially in the E4). I'll have to make a note to bring one particular Pokémon to the E4 knowing that particular move to savage the Dark types.

Cyclone

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Well fair enough, but still , I think there's lots of other comparisons that can be made between previous Gens as well, so I'm not sure when Generation V seems to take a lot of heat for this. Not a dig at you OP, just a general observation about people's complaints about the new Pokémon.

Unless other Generations did get this kind of criticism and I just missed it haha.

Years
    • Seen Sep 30, 2012
    It felt like Gen V had that "This is my first Pokemon game, my first Adventure" feel. Nothing in the game had been seen before, yet it felt so familar.

I really, really hope Gamefreak continues this style of not using older gen pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2016
    I personally liked the similarity to Gen I, I gives a great feel of nostalgia. The Tao Trio(Zekrom, Reishiram and Kyurem) remind me actually much of the Legendary Birds(Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno). The relationship between B/W and B2/W2 even mirrors that of gen I and gen II. And as for the Mew counterparts, am I the only one who Arceus reminds of Mew? Both have a giant movepool(Mew the second and Arceus the third largest I think) both are capable of transormation(tranform and multitype), all of their stats are are the same(Mew-100, Arceus-120), are at the end of their respective Pokedexes, are suspected to be source of all Pokemon, and are the ultimate enigma of their generation? To me Arceus because of this, is more "Mew-like", than any Mew-clones to me, at least.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I personally liked the similarity to Gen I, I gives a great feel of nostalgia. The Tao Trio(Zekrom, Reishiram and Kyurem) remind me actually much of the Legendary Birds(Zapdos, Moltres, Articuno). The relationship between B/W and B2/W2 even mirrors that of gen I and gen II. And as for the Mew counterparts, am I the only one who Arceus reminds of Mew? Both have a giant movepool(Mew the second and Arceus the third largest I think) both are capable of transormation(tranform and multitype), all of their stats are are the same(Mew-100, Arceus-120), are at the end of their respective Pokedexes, are suspected to be source of all Pokemon, and are the ultimate enigma of their generation? To me Arceus because of this, is more "Mew-like", than any Mew-clones to me, at least.

tbh if anything I thought the birds related best to Tornadus/Landorus/Thundurus since they're all part flying (and one full flying this time around). The dragons kinda... related to nothing, imo.

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2016
    Well, aside from that the Tao Trio and The Legendary Birds are the only trio that is Electric/Fire/Ice typed, they also share one type between the trio(Flying for the birds, Dragon for the Tao Trio). The bird and the dragon is also a well known duality in legends and religions(Suzaku and Seiryu, Huou and Ryujin, Ra and Apep, the Chinese Empress's Phoenix and the Emeror's Dragon , the Eagle atop Yggdrasil and Nidhoggr, ect). Zapdos and Zekrom both have a "rough" aggressive design, and Moltres and Reshiram share a more delicate appearance. Moltres is met right before the Elite Fouri n the RGBY games, the dragon of the version is caught not long after beating the Elite Four, and before confronting N and his dragon. Kyurem and Articuno have a polar(pun intended) opposites in behavior. There are quite much similarities and ties between them.

Last edited:
    Back