• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Patching & Emulation

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2015
Can anyone help me out as to how to play bigger ROMs (like Flora Sky or Glazed) on an EZ Flash IV? I've read around and the ideas I've been given don't work (trim the ROM using GBATA, save it to NOR, save it outside of the GBA folder, update firmware). When I click the games they always say "PSRAM is not enough". Can anyone explain to me what's actually going on? I know it's possible to play these games on flash carts.
Glazed works just fine on our (bootlegged) Supercard slot 2. With extended roms, flashcards have to load extra memory, which caused us issues before where we've had to shut it off and try again. However, it works 90% of the time. Maybe its your flash card.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
Can anyone help me out as to how to play bigger ROMs (like Flora Sky or Glazed) on an EZ Flash IV? I've read around and the ideas I've been given don't work (trim the ROM using GBATA, save it to NOR, save it outside of the GBA folder, update firmware). When I click the games they always say "PSRAM is not enough". Can anyone explain to me what's actually going on? I know it's possible to play these games on flash carts.

What you'll want to do is first, make sure that you added the file to the SD card using the patcher. Otherwise it won't work, period. Next you'll want to load it into the NOR by highlighting the .gba file in the file browser and pressing SELECT, and then following the instructions. After that's flashed, go to the top of the file browser to where it says "EZ-Disk". You'll find the NOR flashed game in there and you'll also find that it loads fairly quickly as well. The only disadvantage of NOR is that it takes forever just to flash the file.

ZoruaAndAbsol

Master of Illusions
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 10, 2022
I use MyBoy (which I think is the best GBA emulator on mobile). I use B1 Free Archiver to extract roms. And I use Unipatcher to patch roms. Those are the best choices for you Android Users

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 10, 2019
Can't play the game on desmume

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong place I'm new here.
Second, each time I play pokemon Heartgold/Soulsilver and their hacks Sacred Gold and Storm Silver on the emulator an bug/error occurs which makes me not able to open the game again. After a battle for example, my character and all others appear like a broken TV screen with different coulors.
Then when I enter a building, the screen goes black. I can access the menu to save but I can't see anything on the "map". Point is, saving makes no good because I can't open the game after closing desmume. A white screen appears after clicking the rom file and it does not start.
Does anyone have a fix to this?
Answers appreciated

Indigo

The Novelist from Panju
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 7, 2019
Emulator extremely slow

So I downloaded a DS emulator (desmune) and Pokemon Platinum and Soulsilver run extremley slow. Is this because my computer is too slow or another reason? Thanks in advance. P.S sorry if this is a stupid question I am new to 4th gen rom playing.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jan 31, 2016
Hey guys I have a few questions that I would greatly appreciate to have answered! :)

1) Are there any GBA hack roms that support battle trade in vbalink? Even battling two emulators on the same computer, are there any hacked roms that meet this standard? Or would I just need to use clean ones?

2) This is similar to question #1, but it involves DeSmuME 0.9.7 wifi compatible emulator; is it possible to trade/battle between two desmume wifi emulators (same computer) on hacked NDS games like Volt white or Storm silver (or even clean roms for that matter, I'd just like to know). Now I understand Nintendo has recently shut down their wi-fi service, but I set up a connection to a custom server and the roms were applied to a wfcpatcherer. My problem is that although I am able to connect to wifi service successfully, as soon as one of the two desmume emulators accepts an invitation for a trade/battle, one of the emulators just freezes until connection is lost due to one player being unresponsive. So long story short, is it even possible to do what I am seeking to? Even with a clean rom? ~_~

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I play Pearl on mine and it runs fine.

Try going to Config--> Frame Skip--->Auto-minimize Skipping
Or go to Rom Loading--> Stream from Disk

Years
So I downloaded a DS emulator (desmune) and Pokemon Platinum and Soulsilver run extremley slow. Is this because my computer is too slow or another reason? Thanks in advance. P.S sorry if this is a stupid question I am new to 4th gen rom playing.
I would recommend ditching Desmume and getting No$GBA instead. It's a GBA emulator but any google search you do on it will give you a page referencing a DS game, and this is because it supports DS games very well. I've never had a problem with it, whilst I've never had Desmume not crash.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which leads me to my own question.

VBAlink's never worked for me either. I just seem to have the worst luck at computing, and programs that seem to work for everyone else in the world never even start when I try them. So instead, I use No$GBA for this purpose, and my testing has shown that it does in fact work perfectly when linking. I've traded between Ruby and Sapphire in No$GBA.

But what's really confusing to me is that No$GBA will occasionally forget what game has a save and which doesn't, even though they both have saves. Yesterday, after I traded Sapphire's Torchic over to my Ruby, it forgot that Sapphire had a save. This wasn't a big deal, as I was going to restart that game anyway for a Mudkip. But look today:

QyPoazx.png

This time, Ruby has no save. This seems really stupid. But what's even weirder to me is, here's the BATTERY directory:

R2i7mTa.png

Not only are both files there, they're also different formats. It's always been like this, even when I checked during a successful play. I tried changing Ruby's file extension, but no luck. VBA also refuses to load the file, indicating that it's somehow blank.

I'm mind----ed. What's going on and what do I do about it?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 5, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new here so feel free to direct me to the proper thread. I received a Samsung Chromebook over the holidays. If you're familiar with Chrome OS, you would know that it is unable to run .exe files. Therefore, I cannot download and run a GBA emulator for my computer. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good emulator available online. Obviously, I want one in which I can play Pokemon, preferably FireRed.[/QUOTE

Is it the computer that you cant play minecraft on because of the .exe files. Because if so, go to the chrome web store and look up vba m and that is your emulator

Relica

Worst Player Ever
Years
From what I understand as long as no one links directly to roms or anything like that I don't see why it would be an issue to talk about emulators.

Depends on what you're using to emulate. Nozoomer is an old emulator and may not be able to provide the best speed anymore, even on older computers. I'd recommend trying a later revisions of Desmume to see if that might play it better. Try grabbing Desmume from here:
http://buildbot.orphis.net/desmume/

I recommend downloading Revision 5040, since it's the last one that I know works properly with Pokemon games. Revisions 41-44 have more issues than normal when trying to play HG/SS/D/P/PT. For settings, put on dynamic recompiler in the emulation settings, set it to 15 for best performance vs emulation issues. Also try setting Frame Skip to 1-4 and auto minimize skipping. Try that and see if that improves your speeds.

Samuraipizzacats

Call me Seb
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 30, 2016
What is the best gba emulator for android?

I use My Boy! (the free version) and I must say it works really good. You have te option to screenshot or speed up your game build in this app. I'm not sure if linking is against the rules, but if you search on My Boy! in google you will find it.

Oh the only thing is you can't save via My Boy! in te free version, but since Pokemon has its own saving method it still works perfectly.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2016
Black screen

I dont know how many here are playing on the DS or emulator, for those that plays it on the emulator, i was wondering if you could help me. I dont know if this is the right subforum to ask, so excuse me if i should have posted it somewhere else.
So after playing 2nd and 3rd gen to death on the vba emulator, i wanted to get into 4th gen, but im not really a big fan of the new pokemons etc, so a remake sounded good.
I downloaded a soulsilver room, booted it up, but after the Oak intro i get black screen, the music is still there though.
I searched for the answer many places, all i get is basically the same cheat code, but it doesnt do anything. And change the cartridge to 512 bytes doesnt help either. Does anyone know what to do?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2016
Nevermind, i found the codes that works. Kind of funny, every site i checked had the same codes that didnt work. But i stumbled upon a different set of codes that worked, but it was probably the only place to recommend this particular set of codes.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Aug 12, 2014
Can Drayano DS ROM Hacks be played on the DS? Help please.

I have a question regarding Pokemon DS ROM Hacks such as Sacred Gold, BB, and BB2. Is there any way I can play those games on my DS. I have all of the DS versions and I want to know if I can somehow get an emulator on an SD card, download those ROM's, and then play the Hacks as I would a normal game like Pokemon Heart Gold on the DS. Thanks for any help, I just don't have a very strong computer to run those ROM's on and the portability of the DS would be helpful.

Back