• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] PC boxes

Scarex

Beautyfool.
Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2020
    I just added a lot of new Pokémon slots for my game... but suddenly something came to my mind: How the hell are we gonna store all this new pokémon if the PC boxes are very limited?

There's a way to expand the boxes (more boxes in the PC)?

Greetings!

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I don't think anyone has done it before. It takes a lot of space, 50 bytes per Pokemon in a saveblock. I think you'd be better off removing some Pokemon you don't need in your dex eventually rather than try to expand the PC boxes.

It seems like it'll be a lot of work :X

Touched

Resident ASMAGICIAN
    Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Feb 1, 2018
    I don't think anyone has done it before. It takes a lot of space, 50 bytes per Pokemon in a saveblock. I think you'd be better off removing some Pokemon you don't need in your dex eventually rather than try to expand the PC boxes.

It seems like it'll be a lot of work :X

It's actually 80 bytes per Pokemon

Years
  • That's one doubt I always had. With all that free space in the ROM, why storing 80 bytes per Pokémon is such a problem?
    Say you wanted more 6 boxes, so it would complete 20. You'd need 80*30*6 = 14400 or 14,4kb. That's less than 10 images we insert in the game (depends on the image, of course).

And that's stored all the time while you are playing? All the Pokémon in the boxes are stored while you are far from the PC Boxes?
    Or do the game just load that information when you are accessing the PC Boxes?
    (I know they have to be stored somewhere, the game won't be creating Pokémon again and again, specially with the same characteristics, everytime you open those boxes, but why with all the free space in a ROM that's such a problem?)

Last edited:

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • That's one doubt I always had. With all that free space in the ROM, why storing 80 bytes per Pokémon is such a problem?
    Say you wanted more 6 boxes, so it would complete 20. You'd need 80*30*6 = 14400 or 14,4k. That's less than 10 images we insert in the game (depends on the image, of course).

And that's stored all the time while you are playing? All the Pokémon in the boxes are stored while you are far from the PC Boxes?
    Or do the game just load that information when you are accessing the PC Boxes?
    (I know they have to be stored somewhere, the game won't be creating Pokémon again and again, specially with the same characteristics, everytime you open those boxes, but why with all the free space in a ROM that's such a problem?)

It's not about not having space in the ROM, it's about not having space in the save file. The Pokemon in your boxes aren't stored in the ROM and then retrieved when you need them.

Scarex

Beautyfool.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 22, 2020
    Hmm, so bad it costs so much memory for the save file...

What I don't understand is why the save file have this limit.

Anyway, Thank you for replying!

Greetings!

Years
  • I believe its the size of the save file of a GBA game.
    Since if you save your game in the 64kb mode, the GBA won't read it, it's probably because it's made to read 128kb as a save file.
    But that's very limited, when you think about everything you have to store...

Back