• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that this section is for questions regarding the forum itself - it is not for fan game-related questions. If you have a question about a fan game, ask in the appropriate thread.

• Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Perks. Not just for supporters/staff?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I don't like the nomination idea because it will inevitably turn into the same popularity contest that MOTY/PPC does. :/

Is becoming a moderator a popularity contest?

I view this in the same extent of becoming a moderator. It's not emblems, when they're given willy-nilly to whatever random users that staff are friends with. This is serious stuff. It's not a popularity contest.

Years
    One could argue that if a user is that great, they should become a staff member (with all the perks) in no time.
    But giving some small perks to active and helpful users wouldn't be a bad idea. As to how the staff would determiine these members is beyond me, everyone has a
    different view of the people on this forum. It has its pros and cons, really, my motivation behind supporting this, is because it would motivate users to do a better job posting, other
    than the somewhat far-fetched dream of being promoted to moderator.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    My main concern? Members who are placed in this group could probably have a sense of accomplishment so strong that it overrides their typical behavior on the forum and develop an egotistical position with normal members when it comes to moderator candidates. Either that or people would assume being this group would mean that they're future moderator candidates, which I suppose is true since we tend to look for model type members over run-of-the-mill members... *shrug*

Archeos

I'm confused about something: As I read through this thread, one part of it is about member perks, and what's the other part...? I'm not fully understanding what's being suggested here, so can someone please explain this in a nutshell for me please? .__.;

Last edited:
    Years
    I agree to a large extent to the ideas mentioned in the first post.
    Most importantly being the one regarding PM space. 150 PMs in my opinion, are too less. I remember when I was a non-supporter, I had to constantly delete PMs; so many of them contained old memories of mine; something I would have liked to keep with myself. Deserving members definitely should be awarded with higher PM space.

You can download your Private Messages for future reference.

Anyway, I don't really see what's the practical difference between 'badges' or whatever and 'emblems'.

On the other hand, why not just make it something universal: Why don't we just have the PM limit increased for everyone? It would be so much more simple. lol.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I agree with Erik. Might as well just increase PM box sizes for everyone.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    On the other hand, why not just make it something universal: Why don't we just have the PM limit increased for everyone? It would be so much more simple. lol.

That's probably a good option. I'd be able to live with a limit of 750 or even 650 for normal members to have a limit of 250. 500 seems adequate for 1-4 supporters. But really, PM space is sorta something that differs on a personal basis.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023

Agreed. And can we consider the background images for profiles for members, as mentioned? That being the only place they can use background images - cause it could make their profiles look a lot better with things such as Youtube video, extra 3, etc.

Years
    I completely agree with that sentiment. I didn't understand why regular users couldn't use that feature. I thought it was a silly supporter feature.

The Red Chain

Yeah.. I'm concerned about egotistical behavior as well..
    But I guess the group could be held up in rules to where if you get down that road so far that you treat people less than before that you get a temporary removal from the group, or a permanent removal depending on the intensity.
    Not for every hint of that behavior but if it gets so bad you start to treat other members like crud and things like that..

The Red Chain

That's not necessary. Reason being that...in a hypothetical situation, a warning/infraction would work if it got out of hand and it started breaking forum rules. From my understanding, this thread is about basically giving members supporter perks(thanks to some other people clarifying this for me at least). I can see good things, and I can see bad things occurring because of this.

If the members ever get out of hand to the point where they would have to be removed form the group, then there would be no point in doing that in total as an infraction would serve for that purpose.
    Well I meant more that it would depend on the intensity of said behavior, so if it's bad enough to deserve an infraction then.. yeah. XD
    Rudeness isn't always blunt and open, it can be pretty discreet depending on the person. Some members act like that anyway and haven't really received punishment unless they got carried away.. as far as I know. ^^;

The Red Chain

See, I didn't intend for it to be just mainly PM space..
    I was just throwing ideas out there, but whatever really works I guess... I wanted the users in question to receive more than just extra PM space perk wise.. recognition and appreciation being a main desire that would be wonderful to see become more open with the badge idea stated before~
    The badge idea, or some kind of system to show that appreciation is a much better way of carrying out the idea.. much better than anything I had in mind XD;

That's a pretty broad situation you're talking about, and it would depend on the staff member observing the matter and whether their behavior would count as an offense to that certain staff member or not.
    /shrug
    True enough.

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm still under the impression that a badge system with be redundant with emblems. Why do we need both...?

Can I see a concrete, bulleted list of ideas you have for perks, other than blogs and PM space increased? ^-^

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    My main concern? Members who are placed in this group could probably have a sense of accomplishment so strong that it overrides their typical behavior on the forum and develop an egotistical position with normal members when it comes to moderator candidates. Either that or people would assume being this group would mean that they're future moderator candidates, which I suppose is true since we tend to look for model type members over run-of-the-mill members... *shrug*

Erm I don't fully understand what you're getting at..
    Are you saying that members recognized for being good members will suddenly think they're cooler than everyone else? @__@ If that were the case, wouldn't moderators suddenly have that change in attitude once they become modded, too?

I don't think it's too big of a deal .__. nothing to worry about IMO.. and.. it's not like it'd be publicized, would it? Like it's not like they'll get an "I'm a better member" header thingy under their name or something ridiculous like that.. @_@ Egh..

Either way it's up to you guys, I'm just throwing in my two cents.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

The moderator situation would, in all honesty, be different from how this "member getting supporter perks" thing works out. What Nick's basically saying is that he's fearing that certain members would get a know it all attitude after a while of getting the perks. They could be good members one second, and then turn completely egotistical the other second and looking down on certain members because of <insert perk here>.

And moderators can't honestly do much anyway with their "perks", so there's nothing to get egotistical about there.

Erm really? @_@ Cause I see that as like.. a situation where a kid's just acting snotty. I don't think it has happened yet (No one here has teased others for having more emblems/ or a blog) and.. I dunno.. then maybe they could be warned to clear some messages in their inbox (if their perk was more PM space) in 3 days because they'd take away their perk or whatever ._. But.. I dunno.. if it's really being given to good members.. then they shouldn't be doing that in the first place, right?

But I see what you're saying. We've had some good members turn mod, get snotty, and then get banned @_@ (Not gonna name names here).. but.. that was their consequence for getting snotty ._. If it happens here they'll be infracted like anyone else, right?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years

Pretty much. This is part of my confusion in a way, and part of the reason why I would disagree with the idea. It's just in fear of people being sorta big-headed when they really shouldn't be, etc.

Well what do you know anyways? You're only 8. [/bigheadedness]

Haha, but seriously, you make a valid point, but I personally think the chances of it happening are slim. It might happen to like one or two members for every like.. 150 that get "nominated" in my opinion .__.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022

This.

This is the reason why I'm so stuck here. Emblems are a good way to distinguish certain members doing certain things, and badges would honestly be no different. I'm also confused because...um...I dunno really, I just am.

As far as I think, emblems are treated more like... collectibles. I mean, what else is the purpose of getting them? "oh yay i got the color coordinated emblem because i used yellow and lime green and other incredibly bright colors on my profile what to get next" seems to be the mindset of most members of PC.

The badges system (or whatever we would call it) wouldn't really be easily handed out. It wouldn't be "collectible". As I see it, it'd be there to show PC that these members in particular are really respectable for their "meaningful contributions", whatever that turns out to be.

Haha, but seriously, you make a valid point, but I personally think the chances of it happening are slim. It might happen to like one or two members for every like.. 150 that get "nominated" in my opinion .__.

I'd hope that more people would get it than that. :(

Keep in mind that most people being nominated are going to be nominated for a good reason. It's not like they're going to pick random users and go eeny-meenie-miney-mo and pick a couple. :c

at least i hope they don't... /shot

The Red Chain

I think the real issue is finding who's really doing those "meaningful contributions" because every member contributes to the community in some way. It's even harder when you can't be very subjective nor set a criteria. But there are those with that way of almost changing a community/forum in a positive way with their ideas/posts/ect.. several times. Bringing in ideas that no one ever has, and/or building on an already thought-up idea in a new way. Adding to a discussion with a crazy idea but in a great fashion, and creating discussions that are simply amazing to be a part of. Those who give meaningful, well-thought out and constructive responses to blogs, threads, anything.. to the point where it can make or break something in a very mature way. There are supporters like this too obviously, but they already have so much stuff that I find it somewhat unfair for the members that are equally as great who get less.

Finding someone like that though is more of a scouting type of thing and that was already shot down I think...
    I'm sorry if I'm being repetitive and/or subjective, but I'm kinda just throwing my thoughts out in hopes that I give ideas or give a better idea on what kind of people I mean..

Last edited:
    Years
    I'm still curious: what sort of perks are we talking about? Still waiting for that list. XD

As far as I think, emblems are treated more like... collectibles. I mean, what else is the purpose of getting them? "oh yay i got the color coordinated emblem because i used yellow and lime green and other incredibly bright colors on my profile what to get next" seems to be the mindset of most members of PC.

The badges system (or whatever we would call it) wouldn't really be easily handed out. It wouldn't be "collectible". As I see it, it'd be there to show PC that these members in particular are really respectable for their "meaningful contributions", whatever that turns out to be.
    Not necessarily. There are some emblems that can equate prestige.
    It just requires a specific emblem to be created for such a cause. And, it'd be just as effective - acknowledging a member is an excellent poster/etc.

Back