• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Peta and their new unhappy meal!

Mitchman

Banned
Years
  • Kids hoping to grab a Happy Meal from McDonald's might end up with PETA's Unhappy Meal instead.

The animal rights organization lifted its moratorium on the McCruelty Campaign this year and since June has distributed Chicken McCruelty Unhappy Meals to McDonald's customers outside about a dozen restaurants around the country.

"McDonald's markets its food to children by packaging it in brightly colored boxes with toys," Lindsay Rajt, a spokeswoman for PETA, tells Slashfood. "But most kids really love animals, and if they knew that McDonald's suppliers were breaking the wings and legs of gentle animals like chickens, I think that you'd have to drag kids into McDonald's kicking and screaming."

The campaign, though, has parents "hatin' it."

A PETA protest of a McDonald's in Albany, N.Y., upset parents on Thursday, WXXA-TV reports.

"I don't want my son to be around something like this," parent Stephanie Gipson told the station. "This is not fair for a child."

But Rajt says children have seen worse things than PETA's Unhappy Meal, which comes "stained with blood" and containing a bloody rubber chicken, a cutout of a knife-wielding Ronald McDonald, photos of mutilated animals and a Chicken McCruelty T-shirt.

"Kids deserve to be told the truth and we really do need to give them credit," she says. "The bottom line is that they've really seen much worse in movies and videogames, and we all know that kids empathize with animals."

McDonald's told Slashfood that it expects the humane treatment of animals from its suppliers.

Our goal has always been to lead the industry by bringing about improvements in animal welfare including rigorous, ongoing audits of our suppliers' facilities.

"McDonald's works with leading independent animal welfare experts and makes decisions based upon science to promote continuous improvement in animal welfare as part of our broader sustainable supply chain initiatives," Bob Langert, McDonald's vice president of corporate social responsibility, says in a statement to Slashfood.

"McDonald's continues to support our chicken suppliers' use of both controlled atmosphere stunning (CAS) and electrical stunning. There is no conclusive scientific consensus that one practice is better than the other, however, we recognize that in either method, good management practices are critical," he says. "It is also important to note that in the U.S., there are no large-scale chicken producers that currently use the CAS method, therefore demands to purchase chickens from this method to meet McDonald's supply needs are not viable."

PETA says it worked with McDonald's behind the scenes from 2000 to February 2009 before it re-instituted its McCruelty campaign. A PETA protest was expected Friday afternoon at a restaurant in South Burlington, Vt.
    Source.
    So yeah. The pic? Oh its glorious:
    Peta and their new unhappy meal!

Wehay lets scare the kiddies!

ruby

[span="howdy;partner"][/span]
    Years
    • Seen Mar 27, 2024
    Haha, I love the packaging. xD

Freestyle Farfetch'd

I'm Magneto
    Years
  • As a moderate advocate of animal welfare, I find PETA and their shock tactics pretty sickening to be honest. The parents are right - this isn't fair on children, and targeting impressionable young minds to indoctrine them in PETA's overbearing brand of animal activism is morally bankrupt. The way I see it, PETA care less about the cause of animal welfare itself and simply use it as a cause that they can be unified over. Something they can protest about. It's something for them to rant about, rather than something they honestly care about.

Of course, everyone will have joined them for different reasons, but I find the motives of their leadership questionable at best, and their conflicting and impractical ideals are just crazy. (Advocating zero domestication, not keeping any pets, etc.)

I'll admit to being a little biased by having seen the Bulls*** episode about PETA. =p Although the program is of course terribly one sided, it did bring up some interesting facts about the orginization and their somewhat thoughtless protesting.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    That packaging is amazingly hilarious.

... But animals get treated worse in other ways besides what McDonalds does? XD;

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • PETA never ceases to amaze me. Just when I think they can't look anymore like a bunch of asses, they do something like this.

PETA is a joke.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
  • PETA's Unhappy Meal, which comes "stained with blood" and containing a bloody rubber chicken, a cutout of a knife-wielding Ronald McDonald, photos of mutilated animals and a Chicken McCruelty T-shirt.

Well PETA, looks like you hit a new low.
    Giving innocent children Rubber chickens coaxed with fake blood,
    Destroying a clown's reputation,
    and handing away free anti-McDonald's T-Shirts.

*Claps*

Congratulations, You won the outward "I'm Giving Children Nightmares" award. It seems that you're the new Boogie Men of our time.

Maybe you can actually help your cause for once?

Graceful

あぁ、たいさ!♥
    Years
  • PETA's Unhappy Meal, which comes "stained with blood" and containing a bloody rubber chicken, a cutout of a knife-wielding Ronald McDonald, photos of mutilated animals and a Chicken McCruelty T-shirt.

Well PETA, looks like you hit a new low.
    Giving innocent children Rubber chickens coaxed with fake blood,
    Destroying a clown's reputation,
    and handing away free anti-McDonald's T-Shirts.

*Claps*

Congratulations, You won the outward "I'm Giving Children Nightmares" award. It seems that you're the new Boogie Men of our time.

Maybe you can actually help your cause for once?

That'll just scare me. Why would they do that to children? I'll just make them go off meat and become a veggie. Which will become bad for all of the butchers out there! Stupid PETA!

BowtiePenguin

Proud; noble; penguins.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    PETA is such a joke, I won't even bother bagging on them. I just have this to say: Chickens are not gentle animals. Chickens are demented hellbeasts that take over the barn and the surrounding area in neatly planned, concentric circles.

(Can you tell that I was raised on a chicken farm and am a bit bitter about it?)

[Edit] Also, if I took my kid to McDonald's and PETA shoved all their bloody propaganda in their face, I'd raise unholy Hell. Don't they have any ethics? o.o;

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    So, it isn't okay to murder chickens, but absolutely acceptable to scare the living daylight out of children? Children are animals too, you know. Some act like they are.

BowtiePenguin

Proud; noble; penguins.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    [Peta? Epic Fail!]
    Well we are animals. Animals kill animals to survive,It's called a food chain! [Unless your a veggie]
    And since vegetables are alive, it's still ending something's life to prolong your own.

BowtiePenguin

Proud; noble; penguins.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    You would be a good prosecutor against PETA by destroying them with just this point. :3
    Thank you, but I've tried that same line on other forums and they've discarded it. >>; Something about plants not feeling pain.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    Oh PETA, You never cease to amuse me :>

Only thing they'll succeed in in giving children nightmares , and making them afraid of clowns ._.
    Just because kids play bloody video games doesn't mean they won't get scared shitless from mutilated chicken pictures and knife wielding clown
    clowns are creepy enough as it is dammit D:<

Thank you, but I've tried that same line on other forums and they've discarded it. >>; Something about plants not feeling pain.

orly?
    Well we don't exactly know that :>
    They can't show the paaaiiin o:
    poor plants u_u

BowtiePenguin

Proud; noble; penguins.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Aug 19, 2009
    Oh PETA, You never cease to amuse me :>

Only thing they'll succeed in in giving children nightmares , and making them afraid of clowns ._.
    Just because kids play bloody video games doesn't mean they won't get scared shitless from mutilated chicken pictures and knife wielding clown
    clowns are creepy enough as it is dammit D:<

orly?
    Well we don't exactly know that :>
    Yeah, I know. I think it's a stupid argument... a cop-out, really. But you can't argue with fanatics. I don't think it matters though, if you're going to kill and eat plants, it's about the same as killing and eating animals. Either way, something's dead.

Back