• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Phione......Manaphy's EVOLUTION????

Do you agree with my theory?

• Total voters

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    This is my theory about Manaphy and Phione's evolution line. As you probably know, Manaphy can breed to get a Phione, which can breed to get other Phione, but not evolve into Manaphy. But had you ever thought of it being an evolution rather than a pre-evolution.

Think about it. For example, there are eggs that hatch into Marill. To get an Azurill, you need a Sea Incense. So, there are eggs that hatch into Phione (the supposed Evolution) and to get an egg that hatches into Manaphy (the supposed Pre-evolution), you need a non-existing Incense in D/P, but maybe found in future games.

The only strange thing in this is that Manaphy (a supposed Baby Pokémon) CAN breed, but it's already strange that a legendary can breed, so there's nothing really strange.

It sounds logical, right? What do you think?

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    no... phione is basically a "sample" of manaphy. manaphy is, without a doubt, a legendary. my prediction of the whole thing: it has something to do with the plot in the anime.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 16, 2008
    Maybe it's just me, but that kinda makes sense.

A THEORY! I love this kinda stuff. Ok, here's the facts-

Manaphy hatches from an egg.
    This egg is special and only found in the Fiore (Pkmn Ranger) region.
    Manaphy hatches only in Diamond/Pearl (and possibly future games).
    Manaphy is genderless.
    Manaphy can breed with Ditto.
    This will create a number of eggs.
    These eggs do not look like Manaphy's original egg.
    These eggs hatch into Fione/Phione.
    Fione/Phione does not evolve into Mananpy (that we know of).
    Fione/Phione can breed and will have Fione/Phione eggs.

Boy, when you mentioned Marill/Azurill, you have a heck of an argument. An incense is needed for Pokemon to have some baby versions of themselves come from eggs. This only has happened with previously released parents and newly released babies (Azurill, Wynaut, the Chimecho baby in D/P). Manaphy and Fione/Phione are released in the same generation. So toss out the traditional Incense idea, even if you are talking a kind of backwards-evolution, but something along those lines could be possible in the future. Who knows? Plus, items that are tradable would be in the game, so if there is a future Incense, it make only logical sense that it would be in the coding of Diamond/Pearl, even if it wasn't accessible in the games. I don't know if it is or not.

Now, you also mentioned legendaries. By definition, a traditional legendary cannot breed, is genderless, and is overly powerful/can only be caught once and whatnot. Latios/Latias proved this traditional definition has exceptions, as they have genders but cannot breed, bending the rules a bit. Manaphy blows these rules out of the water (<-- a pun there). It is genderless, but can breed. This is normal, but not for a legendary. So, is Manaphy an actual legendary? If it is, it is definately not in the normal category of legendaries. Also remember that Fione/Phione does not evolve into Manaphy nor vice-versa (that we know of). This is not totally unique, if you remember that a Male Erlade/Erueido can breed with a Ditto or Gardevoir and produce an egg that, if female, will NEVER become Erlade/Erueido.

This was not meant to kill your idea. Go with it. Maybe Phione/Fione is, in a sense, Manaphy's evolution. Unforutnately, the definition of evolution is so long and riddled with exceptions that it's nearly impossible to say that unless you had evidence in another Pokemon that did a similar thing.

By the way, do any of you have the Manaphy egg? I do. I check it almost every day. I can't wait till D/P comes out in the US and I can hatch it!

EDIT:And whoa! Fione/Phione can breed! Awww. I was hoping to trade many to my friends and stuff. Now they'll become mainstream around here because of that (they'll breed and trade, too). Darn.

Last edited:

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Since I'm too lazy to type, I'll just correct what you said...

Manaphy is genderless.
    Manaphy can breed with Ditto.
    This will create a number of eggs.

No, it'll only create one egg.

Fione/Phione does not evolve into Mananpy (that we know of).

Fione can not evolve. It is already comfirmed.

Fione/Phione can breed and will have Fione/Phione eggs.

Fione cannot breed, only Manaphy can, and it can only breed once. kthxbye.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Manaphy's base stats are all higher

^Exactly why this theory isn't true. Manaphy is a Legendary. However, it can breed (only once, though, apparently). That bred form is a WEAKER form of Manaphy. Therefore it can't be its evolution.

And, as for your example about Azurill,...Azurill can't breed at all (and, also by your example, two Azurill should be able to breed into a Marill, which obviously isn't the case).

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Jun 1, 2024
    Manaphy isn't a legendary because it can breed. Case closed and your theory was disturbing, yet slightly true.

Mrbadboy3

Unknown Friend
    Years
    oh my god. It IS a legendary. Everyone knows it already. it has the 100 base stats in everything. Just like a LEGENDARY No other small pokemon would have that. Not counting marril or azumarill since they have some good stats but not nearly enough >_>

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    oh my god. It IS a legendary. Everyone knows it already. it has the 100 base stats in everything. Just like a LEGENDARY No other small pokemon would have that. Not counting marril or azumarill since they have some good stats but not nearly enough >_>

marril... azumarill... good stats? where do you people get this stuff?

manaphy is a legendary. why? just because it is. the whole breeding situation... mantine obviously wanted some legendary lovin.

Green Charizard

pɹɐzıɹɐɥɔ uǝǝɹƃ
    Years
    The story makes sense, but I doubt it.
    Also Manaphy can breed more than once, someone sent me a Manaphy egg over Wi-Fi. However it takes Manaphy a long time (around 3,000 - 5,000 steps I find) for it to lay Fione. It also takes over 10,000 steps to hatch a Fione.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 6, 2024
    maybe that's the speciality of a legendary. So, that there are only few legendaries out there. Maybe Manaphy was born like ants where only the queen that can gave birth. Maybe the queen died and all of Manaphy species became extinct (because they only gave birth to a Fione) but one egg managed to survive and got washed up at Fiore.

So, that might be why Manaphy and lots of legendary are very rare. Because some can't give birth or give birth to another species

Caleb290

Pokemon Master!
    Years
    I agree with Dsaerno
    and Yes I do have a manaphy egg. but I only got pokemon ranger because of the egg. but when I saw that ranger net didnt give me the mission I got very mad but when I saw on this site that you had to do that code thing I was so happy and it also got me mad that on the back of the Pokemon ranger case it says that you cant trade with other pokemon games?

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    If it's "Phione-->Manaphy"...
    I know Phione has weaker stats and a reduced move pool, but if they evo line is "Phione-->Manaphy", then why are there Manaphy eggs? Phione eggs don't need an Incense, so how would you get a Manaphy egg. The only thing I can come up with is that Nintendo is now creating Pokémon that need an Incense to get a NON-baby Pokémon, which, apart from being totally strange, it had to be again a non-existing Incense in D/P.

Another contradicted theory:
    Manaphy and Phione are both basic, but, like the Nidorans they look differently. If Manaphy is female and Phione male (as it appears), Manaphy makes eggs which coincidentally all hatch into the male version, Phione. eggs made by Phione also contain the male version.
    What contradicts this theory:
    *They shouldn't have different stats or moves
    *Their eggs should look the same

Real theory:
    I think Manaphy was supposed to be a Pokémon with no evolutions or pre-evolutions, so when they created the Ranger thing, they said "If a Manaphy egg exists in D/P, then that means players could get Manaphy eggs", so they created a Manaphy pre-evo that can't evolve so they avoided having players with 100 Manaphys, but they couldn't get a logical explanation for this.

Summarizing...
    The Nintendo thing COULD be true, because if you see my theory, there are facts that contradict it (Phione having weaker stats and a reduced movepool) and if you think that Phione is a pre-evo, how can Manaphy eggs exist as I said above. Now, if you think they don't share their evolution line, it's impossible one gives an egg containing the other. If you see my other theory about one being male and the other female, you'll see they should share moves, stats and egg looks.

I bet there'll be other crazy theories which won't make sense for some aspect (like mine). If you come up with ideas, tell them so we could figure out a logical explanation for everything.

Well, that's all.....Oh! And sorry for super-long-posting!

Caleb290

Pokemon Master!
    Years
    that is a great theory but I dont think we need to be arguing about this because it is a game and it is about fake monters I mean the creators of pokemon can do it anyway they want right .and for all we know both manaphy and phione are boys lol

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Summarizing...
    The Nintendo thing COULD be true, because if you see my theory, there are facts that contradict it (Phione having weaker stats and a reduced movepool) and if you think that Phione is a pre-evo, how can Manaphy eggs exist as I said above. Now, if you think they don't share their evolution line, it's impossible one gives an egg containing the other. If you see my other theory about one being male and the other female, you'll see they should share moves, stats and egg looks.

...Well, keep in mind that's with Ditto ONLY. So maybe Ditto just can't copy Manaphy exactly, and that's why we get a weaker version.

Piloswine Magnet: Manaphy's proven to be a Legendary. See the newest movie and plot surrounding it in Ranger. Begone.

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    ...Well, keep in mind that's with Ditto ONLY. So maybe Ditto just can't copy Manaphy exactly, and that's why we get a weaker version.

Good explanation. So, new theory:
    Manaphy breeds with Ditto, but as Ditto can't copy it exactly, we get Phione, a weaker version of Manaphy, but a basic Pokémon as well. That means neither is an evolution or pre-evolution of the other. It's the same thing but, like, a bit not so well done.

What contradicts this new theory:
    *How is it that Ditto doesn't do that with the others (including Phione)?

The theories now are:
    *Phione is Manaphy's evolution
    *Manaphy is Phione's evolution
    *Both are basic but with (supposed) gender differences
    *Both are basic but Phione is a weaker form of Manaphy.

I don't know which one you think is the most accurate as I've contradicted every one of them. I think the one about gender differencese is the best.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Good explanation. So, new theory:
    Manaphy breeds with Ditto, but as Ditto can't copy it exactly, we get Phione, a weaker version of Manaphy, but a basic Pokémon as well. That means neither is an evolution or pre-evolution of the other. It's the same thing but, like, a bit not so well done.

What contradicts this new theory:
    *How is it that Ditto doesn't do that with the others (including Phione)?

The theories now are:
    *Phione is Manaphy's evolution
    *Manaphy is Phione's evolution
    *Both are basic but with (supposed) gender differences
    *Both are basic but Phione is a weaker form of Manaphy.

I don't know which one you think is the most accurate as I've contradicted every one of them. I think the one about gender differencese is the best.

Not with Fione because Fione's already a clone, so cloning a clone would result in an unstable organism. Not with anyone else because Manaphy's special, coming from another Pokemon game and all. Problem solved :).

It's the fourth one.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 16, 2008
    Wait. Can Manaphy lay one egg or multiple eggs containing Fione? No website ever made this clear... and if they did then I skipped that part...

Back