• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pika and Goliath" Episode Discussion

Years
    Here is where you can discuss Pikachu undergoing another Evolution dilemma in the continuity of "Pika and Goliath."

My review to come forthwith.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Most Emotional Episode in Diamond and Pearl, in my opinion. Pikachu sure gained power there. And I didn't know Team Rocket had Ebay.

Well, we learn something everyday.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I don't think this episode was bad on all accounts. It does feel like a bit of a rehash of the "Electric Shock Showdown" episode, but it adds drama (though I think the flashbacks could have had a bit more content). The music, too, isn't bad, with a lucid quality to it that makes it a good background IMO (though I think it could be a tad more dramatic).

My issue is more or less that it seems like Ash is repeating the same erroneous things he did 500+ episodes earlier. This line - in particular - stunned me:

"If Pikachu evolves into Raichu, that's fine with me."

And this is what he had to say 500+ episodes earlier:

"There's more to raising a Pokemon than forcing it to evolve. And I like this Pikachu just the way it is."

Just to add, this is obviously from the dub, and I don't know what was said in the original Japanese version of either episode. That aside, in Episode 14, Ash was still starting out in his relationship with Pikachu, so he wasn't completely against evolving Pikachu, but only if Pikachu had a want for such (which is not something Ash asks Pikachu in this episode if I'm not having a lapse in recollection, but he did in Episode 14). But this is 500+ episodes later. Ash and Pikachu have formed an apparently deep and unfathomably strong bond at this point, and Ash has acted as though he would never want Pikachu to evolve (nor would Pikachu want to) on many an occasion. That the thought even occurs to him now, 500+ episodes later, bewilders me to no end. That Pikachu even ends up winning the battle against Sho and his Raichu (similar in how Ash and Pikachu won against Surge and his Raichu with similar strategies) later on makes me wonder why Ash was pondering using his thunderstone to begin with. But this is just my opinion. At least Team Rocket, seldom as this is, didn't rile up trouble in this episode and make an attempt at stealing Pikachu, much like in "Electric Shock Showdown" (though they seemed more supportive and less inimical in that one).

In this episode, we only learn a lesson taught to us 500+ episodes earlier. That's my qualm. That aside, not a bad episode, I just don't see it as much more than something we've already seen.

Last edited:

Master Jecht

Hmmm..
    Years
    This episode was funny,sad, and then i didn't like it.

I loved the Mr. Show sayings they made me laugh "You give real men a bad rap yo. I am going to show you the way of busting chaps chump." XD. Then when Ash lost Paul came out of nowhere and was like "Your pathetic" then he just left.

It was sad when pikachu was in the operation and started to have flashbacks and then the thunderstone got brought up. I don't even know why they do it. It is obvious pikachu will never evolve.

The second battle i really hated. Just because Pikachu can do a double backflip now he can beat the Raichu easily. The only part of the battle i really liked was the combination of iron tail and volt tackle. That was pretty sweet.

Years
    It was really good. But like Master Jecht said, he'll never evolve. It's just too obvious.

I found it as good as the other normal episodes. Nothing too new.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Actually, this one was a rather nice change of pace, partly because of the references to Ash's original days. In past cases of an episode like this, where it mirrored an earlier episode, Ash & co. usually went about without any memory of what had happened before. The fact that Ash not only remembered what had happened before but actually still had that Thunderstone shows that the writers are actually starting to get good with their memory. The way the writers played this as almost an exact copy was actually a good thing in this case.

Of course, it was a copy with the exception of Team Rocket's part. I found it funny how nobody at the end even bothered trying to get the Thunderstone back, despite how "valuable" those stones are in the anime, as TR just took it and walked off. Ash just stood there with a sort of "Why should I care?" look on his face. I guess it was a nice change of pace for the trio to get some sort of freebie victory, though, and I bet there are a couple users on here who'll have more to say on the matter.

Years
    This episode was a nice change of pace, but it isn't anything we haven't seen before. There were some funny moments too. Mainly how Mr Show was speaking the entire time.
    "Like, I'm gonna represent the set yo, and beat your wimpy Pikachu" Not an exact quote, buts its close. :P

8/10

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2016
    Paul healed his Pokemon! 0.0!
    Guess he's changing,???

"Your Pathetic"-That was funny.I mean he just passed by him and said that^^That was a total classic right there.

The Pichu ate Pip and Pika's food!
    It seemed evil!so did the Raichu,but both are still cute!^^

Mr.Show was funny-wel the way he talked and his insults to Ash.
    Paul watched their battle,I expected that.

It was pretty good just seemed like a replay a bit,but with different characters and place.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I wrote my comments normally but I don't know if my random comments on (mainy Mr Show) are going to annoy people because I got so annoyed with him LOL. I didn't find him funny, just horribly cheesy. But I can see how some people would find it hilarious. Perhaps whenever I get to re-watch it I'll find him funnier.

- Uh oh, Piplup and Pikachu are stopped by an intimidating...Pichu
    - "Pichu, wassup home-boy?"
    ...I didn't just hear that...
    - WHOA I didn't know they were getting into a battle this quickly!
    - "Dig?"
    ...stfu
    - "TESTIFY!!"
    - How this guy is getting to Ash...it reminds me of the 1st series. Ash, get angrier! They need to do zoom in's of Ash's angry face to make him angrier
    - This music is what they used for Pikachu vs Raichu in the first series!
    - WHAT!? 1HKO a Regice then does NO damage to a RACIHU...Well, this is Pokemon...
    - GOOD! Does nothing to Pikachu!
    - Hyper Beam!? That was unexpected! It really was!
    - OUCH! Close up, too!
    - WHOA Paul! Another unexpec...tion? He REALLY likes popping out of no where
    - Pikachu goes into Pokemon Centre, suggest it evolves...I remember this...
    - Oh, come on, even TR are back looking in through the window!
    - Even Ash talking to him at the beside...except this time, there's silence
    - LOVED the music at the Thunderstone flashback, it made the scene emotional
    - LOL Team Rocket took his Thunderstone and he didn't care! (actually, I don't think he NOTICED)
    - Circling around Raichu...seen this before
    - Mini Rocket flags!

Quotes:

Ash: I'm Ash!
    n00b: dsjrigmdjqpouhguksencunflhmmrshow
    Dawn: I lost him at the first word

- Didn't we all? Another note - Ash didn't tell him about Pallet Town. Ash, you must tell EVERYONE about the Town of Pallet!

Mr Show: Show them what a REAL Volt Tackle feels like
    *flashback*
    Lt Surge: Raichu, show them what a REAL Thunderbolt
    - Haha I just though it was similar

Team Rocket: Don't worry, no motto today!
    - Hooray! Although, DP has had LOADS of episodes where they don't say their motto

Mr Show: n00bs don't have far to fall
    - lol...I think this is the first time Pokemon has ver said "noob", right? (in the anime)

Music kept:

Ash and n00b talking before battle
    DP Wild Battle
    Pikachu getting Hyper Beamed
    Flashback to Lt Surge
    Moive 9 piece
    Route 207

"Your Pathetic"-That was funny.I mean he just passed by him and said that^^That was a total classic right there.

I found that hilarious! It's cool how random Paul pops up, it's a shame Gary didn't do that more often.

...Why is everybody spelling his name that way? It's spelled "Sho."

Because he said "Mr Show" in his extra long intro. I know it's "Sho". But "Mr Show" sounds stupider (yes, a plus XD). Oh, and "show" because that's how you spell the pronounciation in English (yeah, I know it's a Japanese name but not everyone's going to know that, are they?)

My issue is more or less that it seems like Ash is repeating the same erroneous things he did 500+ episodes earlier. This line - in particular - stunned me:

"If Pikachu evolves into Raichu, that's fine with me."

And this is what he had to say 500+ episodes earlier:

"There's more to raising a Pokemon than forcing it to evolve. And I like this Pikachu just the way it is."

Lt Surge told him if Pikachu evolved, he would be stronger. Ash didn't want Pikachu to evolve just for a battle so he asked Pikachu if he wanted to evolve. Ash probably would've let Pikachu evolve there if it wanted to.

Ash said that line AFTER he found out Pikachu ran away and he said it in a distressed way, meaning he would have preferred it not to evolve, but would have respected his decision if he really wanted to, just like all that time ago.

Last edited:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    Yay I'm reviewing an episode on time! :D...For the most part

Flashback much? XD I liked it. Seriously though, how does Ash keep a Thunderstone for that long? D: If he's going to hold it that long and then let Team Rocket take it like... "meh" seems like a waste of a pocket. =P Some poor trainer is crying out there wishing he had a Thunderstone. Of course it was predictable Pikachu wouldn't evolve, though inside I was like "Oh come on Pika, make a mistake and evolve." Just tugging in the back of my head a little. XD Haha. The intimidating (and awesome) Pichu was cool, if only it got a chance to battle or something. :'( I hope we see more awesome Pichu in the future, even if the chances aren't likely. Damn my love for baby Pocket Monsters.

I'm Ash!
    n00b: dsjrigmdjqpouhguksencunflhmmrshow
    Dawn: I lost him at the first word

Another note - Ash didn't tell him about Pallet Town. Ash, you must tell EVERYONE about the Town of Pallet!
    I thought that was pretty funny too. And I agree Jorah, I was like... "Where's the Pallet Town part 0o?"

Mr Show: n00bs don't have far to fall
    - lol...I think this is the first time Pokemon has ver said "noob", right? (in the anime)
    I've heard it before... I think. Or maybe I'm just thinking about the game. Ah well. Yay for trainers using words that we use in real life! \o\ Just wait till they say "OMG IT'LL ONLY BE A 3HKO and 27% damage" XD

Anyway, I didn't really mind that it was a reply-like episode. Had much more intensity to it if you ask me.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Oh, and "show" because that's how you spell the pronounciation in English (yeah, I know it's a Japanese name but not everyone's going to know that, are they?)

Anybody who's played The World Ends With You would know, yes. And, by extention, I would expect most users here to know, too, considering one of our staff admins is still using him as an avatar.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Anybody who's played The World Ends With You would know, yes. And, by extention, I would expect most users here to know, too, considering one of our staff admins is still using him as an avatar.

I can't tell if you're being serious or not XD Because 1 random person has "Sho" in their avatar doesn't mean every single person on a forum with tens of thousands of people on are going to automatically think of him while they are watching some random programme in English who sounded like he called himself a frequently used English word. Of course people are going to think of "show" before "sho" haha.

I've heard it before... I think. Or maybe I'm just thinking about the game. Ah well. Yay for trainers using words that we use in real life! \o\ Just wait till they say "OMG IT'LL ONLY BE A 3HKO and 27% damage" XD

Yeah, I think someone says it in the games but I'm sure I've never heard it in the anime. Haha that reminds me of Ash has to start EV training, he must start searching for and battling Bidoof's for speed EVs for a few episodes because Pikachu is getting too slow XD Well, it'll be more like the games which must make *someone* happy XD

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    I can't tell if you're being serious or not XD Because 1 random person has "Sho" in their avatar doesn't mean every single person on a forum with tens of thousands of people on are going to automatically think of him while they are watching some random programme in English who sounded like he called himself a frequently used English word. Of course people are going to think of "show" before "sho" haha.

The second part, kind of. But the first part about anybody who has played TWEWY (and there's a LOT of them) was completely serious.

And everybody who's anybody knows Bidoof give HP EVs. =o Get with the times. XD

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
    Jorah, I'd like to point out that Bidoof gives 1 HP EV. You're thinking of Starly, who gives 1 Speed EV. XD

As far as the episode goes, I'm rather on the fence. It seems the writers are just rehashing themes from the first season and pretending like they're new stuffs, which isn't all that cool if you ask me...:S

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Hmm...perhaps this is why my Pokemon weren't gaining more in speed XD Well, it could be something to make the people who likes the games angry then XD Another reason then haha.

SailorShadow

Soldier of Shadows
    Years
    I liked this episode, though it mirrored the Lt Surge episode in many ways (that have been mentioned). I really wish Pikachu would evolve (Raichu is awesome) but we all know that Pokemon anime wouldn't be the same without Ash's Pikachu. And I couldn't believe Ash STILL had that Thunderstone. I thought he would've thrown it out or gave it to Professor Oak or something instead of let it take up valuable space in his bag.

gameplay

Beginning Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 1, 2010
    I still love Pikachu!
    -Funny Pichu!
    -That Sho(sp?) guy was annoying.
    -Paul surprised me a bit. Although I feel he could be stalking Ash. X_X
    -Good thing Team Rocket took that Thunderstone away. Although it was odd to see Ash still had that stone from a long while back.
    -Beginning was pretty funny.
    -Pikachu in the Operation Room. So sad...
    -Ash watching the operation; he started crying and 3 secs later, he stopped?
    -The beginning felt a little bit rushed to me.... Like the first 6 minutes, but after the pace seemed fine (which involved flashbacks and stuff)

I give this episode an 8.5/10.

Vega-kun

GX Thunder Trainer
    Years
    First LT. Surge, now this guy, that was very dramatic for them to bring back that reference...
    Very emotional..
    I think Pikachu should always remain the same!

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    Those flashback to the Battle with Lt. Surge really did just make this episode feel complete. I mean I am walsy complaining that they don't mention past events at all but really this episode seem very complete. Even though that this episode was a remake of that episode, I really didn't feel like that when I was watching the episode. The episode literally felt new to me as if I haven't seen it. Very coolies in pulling that off. Of courase seeing this plot kinda being redone did made me feel like they are at it again after seeing the last episode but really it came out to be the same as the last one but better.

That thunderstone sure is a puzzeling thing. I couldn't believe Ash kept it for just that long. I mean it is kinda like that Sun Stone he got in Johto. He had it but never use it and then out of nowhere it comes out. Still that was kinda funny to see that Team Rocket won something in the end. Teeheehee

It is coolies to see Paul and all but really. In this episode it felt like they just stuck him there. It kinda becoming an issue with me.

My only question is: Did Sho talk like that too the Japanese version?

Overall, this may be a rehash but it didn't really feel like that. During the second battle I was thinking that Ash was going to say something about Raichu having more power while Pikachi had more speed but really seeing how the battle was more action driven then the last time. Ti was really good to see that everything that Ash and Pikachu been working on since the start of DP has been advanced in this episode to make the battle better.

Back