• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Pikaleaf"

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2012
    Did you hear about Nintendo suing the city of Ube in Japan for thier mascot Ecoha-chan?

Basically Ube wanted a mascot for recycling and Nintendo noticed the similarity to Pikachu and sued the city for copyright infringement and Nintendo now owns the character.

Here is a photo:
    echo-chan.gif

What do you think of the situation?

Haru

Wolf Simp
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2023
    Since they own it I think they should put it in a game. :3

exactly what i thought.

but that looks... A LOT like pikachu XD

but i mean take out the red cheeks and it would look kinda like a average japanese thingamajig.

Magikarp Queen

Magikarp Tamer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2012
    Oh, I agree with the other comments, it should be a grass version of Pikachu in a new game or something c:

Last edited:

Zapperz

colour swapper!
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    haha. similar but.. idk. cool to have in game tho

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Their mascot is very much like Pikachu, so the only reason why they did it is that they had no clue about this.

These people really need to start designing their mascots better, & I hope that Nintendo gives them their just desserts.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Wow that's basically a green Pikachu with leaves for ears.
    eco_chan_by_royrot-d45ng7w.png

Recycle!

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
  • Smooth move, Nintendo. I think Ube wanted people to recycle, and creating a mascot that looks a lot like Pikachu will bring a lot of attention to recycling.

Regardless, now that Nintendo owns this thing, they can destroy it replace it with Pikachu when people get bored of Pikachu,not that we aren't already.

shininglatios217

Wayward Son
    Years
  • If Nintendo considered putting it in a game I hope they also put Higuma (the unused Blazachu/Firechu from GSC). By the way, good pun, MissDigitalis.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Meh. Pikaleaf doesn't really appeal to me... I have a feeling of déjà vu...
    No seriously, I love Pikachu, but they could change their mascotte sometimes, there are 647 Pokémons after all ;)

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    When I first saw that picture I actually thought that it was Nintendo's. But yeah it's basically a Pikachu with leaves instead of ears lol, and green. It's a lovely design though.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • That... is adorable. If that's the grass version of Pikachu, I'd love to see the Raichu XD. Either way, I want them in the games.

Years
  • I think Nintendo went a little bit overboard on this, looking at what the mascot looks like on paper it doesn't look anything like Pikachu.
    Original design:
    nuQmo.jpg

It's just a generic cute looking japanese mascot that when got translated into costume form ended up looking like Pikachu. Plus I really don't think suing them is helping the recycling program :(

On the other hand though, have you seen what Ube's flag is? xD
    100px-Flag_of_Ube%2C_Yamaguchi.png

Years
  • On the other hand though, have you seen what Ube's flag is? xD
    100px-Flag_of_Ube%2C_Yamaguchi.png

That's...no way. Well, I know what I'm doing with my extra airline miles.

And more on topic, the similarity is just striking. Honestly, someone had to have seen that finished product and noticed something was amiss. While it's sort of uncool for Nintendo to sue them, they shouldn't be using a liscensed character for promotion anyway. They didn't even try to rip off a lesser-known Pokemon, I mean if you're going to steal from Nintendo at least pick something a little more obscure.

Back