• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixel Art

Years
Pixel Art

Welcome to the class thread for all professors and students of Pixel Art!
Below will be a post from the introductory professor explaing more about this particular class/medium and what you can expect to learn. Have fun guys!

(This class was perviously a one professor class, but now will be converted to the community class so as to keep intact all resources previously posted.)

Original Professor Material by Fairy

Current Professors: Kirby (hiatus)

Welcome students!

This is the official Pixel Art class as taught by Fairy. Thank you for your patience while I get all of this set up. I appreciate everyone's participation in this project and I'm excited to finally have it up and running. I hope you can bare with me, this is the first time this project is running and, personally, my first time teaching this beyond merely lending tips. So, let's start at the very beginning.

Everyone on this list was selected from the art school thread who expressed an interest in learning Pixel Art. You're free to check over my syllabus and my gallery to decide if I'm the tutor for you. You may also request one on one tutoring if the class format does not work for you. Just let me know and we'll work it out. Anyone who drops this class will be banned may do so without any consequence.
1.%20smile.gif
[/spoiler]

What is pixel art?

Pixel art is a form of digital art, created through the use of raster graphics software, where images are edited on the pixel level. Graphics in most old (or relatively limited) computer, console, graphing calculator and mobile phone video games are mostly pixel art. Image filters (such as blurring or alpha-blending) or tools with automatic anti-aliasing are considered by most advanced pixel artists as invalid tools for pixel art, as such tools calculate new pixel values automatically, contrasting with the precise manual arrangement of pixels associated with pixel art.

What are different types of pixel art?

All digital art is made of pixels; but not all digital art is pixel art.

Pixel art is commonly divided in two subcategories: isometric and non-isometric.

The isometric kind is drawn in a near-isometric diametric projection. This is commonly seen in games to provide a three-dimensional view without using any real three-dimensional processing. Technically, an isometric angle would be of 30 degrees from the horizontal, but this is avoided since the pixels created by a line drawing algorithm would not follow a neat pattern. To fix this, lines with a 1:2 pixel ratio are picked, leading to an angle of about 26.57 degrees (arctan 0.5). One subcategory is planometric, which is done at a 1:1 angle, giving a more top-down look. Another subcategory is "rpg perspective", in which the x and z (vertical) axes are combined into a side/top view. This view is facing an edge, instead of a vertex.
Example:
tut3.jpg
51ZKyFb.png

Non-isometric pixel art on the other hand is any pixel art that doesn't fit into the isometric scale.
Example:
lightfantastic.gif
pixel_grace_by_northern_panda-d5fvrau.gif

Getting started!

Now that you know what pixel art is, we can get you started on making stuff! You're going to need an illustration program with a 1px pencil tool, a zoom function, and a paint bucket. This means MS Paint is perfect for your pixel pieces! Photoshop, GIMP, Graphics Gale, Artweaver, and iDraw3, are all programs you can use for pixel art.

Your Homework

Yeah, homework. What did you expect?

You need to create a pixel image. Just a simple, non-isometric shape, on a canvas no bigger than 150 x 150px. I want to see something from each and every one of you! Composition and skill doesn't matter here and you won't be judged or graded on your performance. I haven't actually taught you anything other than definitions, after all! But; you need to start somewhere. So everyone make me a simple, two dimensional shape. A triangle, a square, a circle. Anything. So to recap:
- Start with a blank canvas, transparency is not required.
- The canvas should be no bigger than 150 x 150px.
- With the pencil tool, create a simple, 2D shape.
- Save the image as a .PNG only.
- Post it here *within a reasonable time frame*

Saving?

Yes. Pixel art is preferably stored in a file format utilizing lossless data compression (a class of data compression algorithms that allows the original data to be perfectly reconstructed from the compressed data.), such as run-length encoding or an indexed color palette. .GIF and .PNG are two file formats commonly used for storing pixel art. The .JPEG format is avoided because its loose compression algorithm is designed for smooth continuous-tone images and introduces visible artifacts in the presence of dithering.
Example:
Jpg_pixel_cube_2x.jpg

JPEG artifacts ew..
This will lay out the groundwork of first pixel art piece. From there, over the course of this class, we will be building up this piece. And get used to it, because you will be drawing this shape over and over again with different pixel techniques. From that point, once we've covered everything in the class, you will be responsible for finishing the piece using what I have taught you.

If you want to get in touch with me for help, either leave me a message in this thread or send me a PM. I'm here to help you guys, so ask any questions you'd like!

Go forth!

also be nice this is my first time doing this ;w;

Last edited:

Urugamosu

Happy, and Searching.
Years
I'm present!

Also, homework done!
mFhzM5L.png

I like this lesson by the way, very detailed and explains the background behind pixel art.

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
Here!

*Raises hand patiently*

Ok, so the question I have is, how does a circle fit into this? Is it an exception in the straight-lines isometric rule? Or does it just simply not fit into the isometric category?

EDIT: Here is my completed homework (I'm better at this than I was at school, or in German class lol)

ypwmzIr.png

Last edited:
Years
Sorry for being late! I was busy packing for my flight home tomorrow. Also, apparently internet isn't working over there at the moment, so I might not be online for a few days. Sorry in advance!

Great first lesson, though :> looking forward to learning more stuff!

pixelarthw1_zpsra039a6f.png

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Look at this, all my students attended. :') You guys are really working me, I still have to make the next lesson!

@Aiden; Circles are not a part of the isometric scale. While they can be a part of an isometric piece (see the plates in the first example) they cannot be a part of the piece's composition. It's all straight lines!
@queenie; I understand completely. My internet has been real, real spotty lately too. Like, ridiculously so.

Anyway, the next lesson will be within the next few days!

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Welcome students!

This is lesson two of the pixel art class, unofficially being called the Line Essential class. :) Last class we went over the basic definition of pixel art, the difference between isometric and non-isometric pixel art, as well as saving etiquette. As always, we'll start this session with roll call and jump right in.
Spoiler:

Anti-Aliasing

Cleaning the lines.
I'm happy to report that everyone did exceptionally well on their homework and no one had the following issues. But since it's a part of pixel art, I'll be going over it anyway. Cleaning the lines means each line is of the same thickness (one pixel) and doesn't have any jagged edges. Anti-Alias, or AA, is used to make your pixel lines look smoother by using colors in between the line and the background the line is on. For instance, if you have a black line on a white background, your AA is going to be grey.

Remember not to over Alias! There is such a thing as too much AA, and that will blur your pixel art (both literally and figuratively) into the digital art medium. Use it selectively to soften the sharp edges of your work.
example+pixel+art.png
2vcSd3E.gif

Banding

Banding in its most simple term is the idea of pixels lining up with one another, like hugging. When neighbor pixels end at the same x or y coordinate on the underlying grid, the grid immediately becomes more evident, the pixels are exposed, and the apparent resolution becomes less fine. AA banding is when segments of AA line up with the lines they're buffering.
banding.png
spelunky4.png

Different Types of Banding

Skip-one banding:
skiponereduxpng.png

Even if there is a negative space between two bands, the mind will fill in the gap and banding will remain.

45 degree banding:
45deg.png

Though the rows of pixels lining up are only 1 pixel thick, banding is still present.
Insider information: I really struggled with this one over my pixel career and still AA band to this day. You see, because of the marvel that is the human brain, you're engineered to recognize shapes and faces. And banding allows the underlying grid each pixel piece is built on to be more readily apparent, and you're brain can't help but notice it. It will make your pieces look flat, 2-Dimensional, and will encourage bad pixel habits.

Your Homework

I don't need to say anything clever here, do I?
Your homework this time is to add AA to your shape! Simple as that. Selectively add AA to your piece as you see necessary to smooth out your harsher lines. I will view all images and critique where necessary.
- Take the shape you made for homework
- Use the above tools to add AA to your shape
- Once again save as a .PNG
- Post it here!

*for users who made more complicated shapes feel free to only AA the most outer outline or just a section of your shape.

Extra Credit

If you want, you can add color to the background of your shape. But make sure to keep the lines black!​

Years
mmmmmm I'm not entirely sure I 'get' banding. The second one makes it think it's like tangents? Or is it saying to avoid pillow-shading? I understand what you've written, I think maybe I just need to come across/fix a problem with banding before I really understand it.

wNlRoLQ.png
67BUlyx.png

I wasn't sure how much I should soften it. I didn't want to go past the first step because the second step just blurred it too much for me.

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
mmmmmm I'm not entirely sure I 'get' banding. The second one makes it think it's like tangents? Or is it saying to avoid pillow-shading? I understand what you've written, I think maybe I just need to come across/fix a problem with banding before I really understand it.

wNlRoLQ.png
67BUlyx.png

I wasn't sure how much I should soften it. I didn't want to go past the first step because the second step just blurred it too much for me.

Yes, almost like tangents in that it flattens and adds weirdness to an otherwise normal piece. Sometimes it's obvious, sometimes it's not. It's just generally something you want to avoid if you can help it, because like I said it makes the underlying grid noticeable, which detracts from the piece.

Here's an example:
lgCZZZO.png

and this is one of my more recent pieces, lol.

I think you're right. Once you see banding in action and have a chance to fix it, you'll get a better grasp on it. But you did well with the homework and got the idea of AA down perfectly. You were right in not expanding the AA upwards, that would blur it too much. :) And +1 for color!

Actually, that makes me think of more homework for you guys hmm...

Years
Actually, that makes me think of more homework for you guys hmm...

Thanks for the clarification! I understand it better now!

Like more homework to expand our image or a different kind of homework? I always like the ones that show us work and we have to point out stuff in it. Like "Show me where AA is used." Or "Find the errors in this image."

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
Hmm, I can see this being a difficult aspect for me to crack down on, and I'm confused at banding...

Banding is where everything lines up right? Does this include the AA with the main piece? I'm thinking it does, in which case my AA is banded x:

Well, here's what I've got, and I was having trouble enough without adding colour to it... Though I might go back and try again with colour when I understand how AA and banding works a bit more.

Homework:
rmLwx4C.png

L0faHTt.png

Something feels off with my homework too. So I'll wait and see what you say about it, Fairy :)

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
After reviewing the homework so far, I can safely say that you guys do get and are understanding AA. I know it's a bit of an obscure concept, but the important thing to remember is that, so long as the technique is correct, there's no wrong way to go about it. And each one of you got the techniques correct.

So, real quick.

@Lycanthropy; You picked a tough one, no doubt. But, you'll learn better because of it. Your AA is fine, if not a bit on the thick side. The only thing I recommend is to lighten it a bit. Right now, your AA is so dark it's almost an exact 50% of the black and your yellow (if you look at my example below, the dark red AA is comparable to a 25% transparent black on the red). Try to lighten it, see how it goes. If it still feels weird after that, then I recommend only applying one layer of AA, to thin it out a little more. But you should know that you're not incorrect with how the AA is applied!

@Soulryu; your technique is also correct. You added aliasing in the right places and did so appropriately. The problem with your homework is that the outer AA is lighter than the background color. Since you're blurring out the black line, the AA on the background would be a dark red. As such:
GwtTM2d.png

Make sense? :)

Well done guys, you're doing great.

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024

Color and Pixel Art

This lesson is going to be on the harder side, with the homework much more developed. This lesson is going to be about color, and since color is one of the seven fundamentals of art, it deserves its own section. So we are going to be observing how color plays a roll in both general art and, more specifically, pixel art. But first, as always.
ROLL CALL
Spoiler:

Color Basics

(noun) - Color is the element of art that is produced when light, striking an object, is reflected back to the eye. In pixel art, just as every medium of art, one needs to understand and be familiar with the three elements that make up color.

• Saturation: One property of three when used to determine a certain color and measured as percentage value. From a perceptional point of view saturation influences the grade of purity or vividness of a color/image. A desaturated image is said to be dull, less colorful or washed out but can also make the impression of being softer.

• Hue: Pure color in terms of "green", "red" or "magenta". Hue also defines mixtures of two pure colors like "red-yellow" (~ "orange"), or "yellow-green" Hue is a more technical definition of our color perception which can be used to communicate color ideas.

• Contrast: a distinct difference between elements of a form or composition; either visually or in subject matter. In the example below, two types of contrast are shown. The image on the left represents visual contrast, which is achieved through the use of intense complementary colors. This may also be referred to as luminescence or brightness.

Color Ramps

In computer graphics, a color ramp (also called a color gradient or color progression) specifies a range of position-dependent colors, usually used to fill a region. Color ramps are an important element of pixel art because;
Cohesion: When you're using less colors, the same colors will reappear throughout the piece more frequently. Since the different areas of the work share the same colors, the palette ties the piece together, unifying the work.
And Control: The smaller the palette, the easier it is to manage. You may, and probably will, want to change adjust a color later on. If you've got 200 colors, it's going to take you a lot longer to make the adjustments, because by changing one color you've thrown off its relationship with the colors neighboring it on its color ramps, and adjusting them means changing the relationships between those colors and their neighbors! You can see how this quickly adds up to a lot of work. With a smaller palette, the effect of changing a single color is more substantial, and there are less micro-relationships to worry about.
*Insider information: Now you've probably seen me on a tear about color count before. I don't believe in it. I feel it's a relic of old, outdated graphical capabilities that limit what we can do today. However, I feel it's still an important part of pixel art you need to understand. Starting with limited colors is easier and will help you grasp the basics of pixel art coloring better. Make an educated decision on the matter and find what works for you.
BuildingTheGreenRamp2.png

This is a color ramp. As is common, the ramp travels fro dark to light. Normally, you'd have a ramp for each color. It's a common mistake to not include enough contrast. Things look very flat without contrast, and you can give your subject more contrast by making the differences between the dark colors and the light colors larger.

gNPZiCJ.png

The ramp on the left is not good because the saturation is not strong enough, the hue shifting not complimentary, and the contrast weak. The ramp on the right, on the other hand, has a unifying underlying color, and uses the above three elements to creative a cohesive ramp.

Making a ramp

So lets say you want to color something purple. The first step is to search for a shade that won't hurt the viewer's eyes. So nothing too vibrant, too striking, or too bright. Stay away from neons. Common sense will be the best tool in your arsenal in this case. For instance,
wkXmyAC.png

The color in the middle is the most visible, appropriately saturated, and easy to look at. The last two are too saturated, and the first too are too pale. They would not be good examples. Once you have an appropriate color, you can begin adding lighter and darker versions of it. A common mistake is a lack of contrast, so make sure your palette isn't flat.

VJs26Xv.png

Now we're looking at a palette! But, it's pretty boring. In a palette, you want your lighter colors to have more saturation than your darker colors, so lets play with that.

y0C6HD5.png

Lastly, the other element to add to any solid palette is Hue Shifting.

Hue-shifting refers to having a transition of hues in a color ramp. A color ramp without hue-shifting is known as a straight ramp. In straight ramps, only the luminescence changes, while in hue-shifted ramps both hue and contrast will (usually) change.
9iGrBo9.png

gB8u1zp.png

The first color ramp is a straight green ramp. The second image is a green ramp with hue-shifting applied. When using hue shifting, bend your highlights toward a certain color (yellow, in the example above), and move the darker colors toward a second color (I chose blue in the above example). Hue-shifting is used because straight ramps are usually boring and don't reflect the variety of hues we see in reality, and hue shifting can add subtle color contrast within a ramp.

It seems like a very basic color makeup, but it is not so simple. It takes a deft eye to create an appealing color palette, and can take a long time to narrow down the perfect one. Luckily, there are sites out there to help you build a color ramp

http://www.pixelfor.me/crc/F0000032

Your Homework

The first part of your homework is to build a color ramp using the steps above, and post it here. Keep it easy and keep it under 8 shades. Make sure your hue value, hue shift, and saturation is all on point. You're free to use whatever colors you'd like, so long as it contrasts your background color. Second, turn your shape into a three dimensional image. This shouldn't be hard for any of you, but if it is (I know some of your shapes are complicated so) let me know. So a circle would become a cylinder, a square becomes a cube, a triangle a pyramid, etc. Then color it. Use the darkest color for your outline, your base medium color for the face of your shape, and the lightest color for your highlights. If you don't use every color on your ramp, it's okay. You will not be graded on how well you do since I haven't actually taught you about shading or selective outlining.

• Create a color ramp (make sure it's 8 colors or under)
  • Turn your 2D shape into a 3D shape
  • Use your best ability to color the shape using your ramp.
  • Post both the colored shape and your color ramp here.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
I have got a couple of questions.

1. Is it too late to enroll?
2. Could you also do a triangular prism instead of a pyramid?

Years
  • Age 33
  • she / they
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I have got a couple of questions.

1. Is it too late to enroll?
2. Could you also do a triangular prism instead of a pyramid?

It's never too late. Glad to have you on board! You'll receive notifications whenever I post a lesson from here on out. :)

Of course! It's completely up to you. Use your creative discretion to make whatever 3D shape you see fit.

Back