• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixels, including numerous greatly animated sprites.

blackmoonflower

You won't like me if I'm angry
    Years
    A couple of things:

Arcanine looks extremely isometric to me. I'm not sure if that's the look you were going for or not, but it reminds me of a Duplo toy. lol

Something about the shading on Scizor's face. I dunno, it kinda bothers me. o.o

I thought Tyranitar's head was oddly shaped.

Other than that, looks awsm. :bandit:

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Arcanine's pose is essentially Sugimori's art with the head of HGSS sprite placed over it and redrawn (which itself is Sugimori's piece with a new head and the front legs redrawn) It's facing the screen at pretty much a 3/4 angle which is what I was going for with the piece.

Scizor's shading is imo the worst part of the piece; trying to fit more detailed shading (because he's made of metal) into a sprite that was a lot thinner than everyone else when drawn in consistent proportions. Any more problematic and I would have probably considered deleting the art and putting a different Pokémon in his place (which already occurred with one in the spriting stage)

As for Tyranitar's head it was pretty much the only decent reference I could get of his head that wasn't a near side-on angle.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    The proportions could probably be made further accurate and his left hand is a bit ****ed up (You can't just excuse screw ups away by calling it 'RBG Style' - you still need to be a good artist to purposely imitate a style that has it's flaws) but I've spent an hour and a half on this and that's enough for me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Really like that RBY/GSC era fakemon : D

But the face looks really weird. Maube you should change it or something

Years
    I agree with the GSC. The starters look heaps good. I love the Poliwrath it made me laugh. The Charizard is epic as i wish Nintendo would use that as a sprite. All your work is really good. Keep it up and i'm supporting your work.

Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2016
    Not familiar with the 5gen pokemons lol my bad.

Then in that case the eyes look weird.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    So I was looking through **** again and found this old thing which is probably the oldest sprite I still have on the internet (at least over one and a half years old) -

The linework is okay I guess but the shading and line colouring sucks hard.

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    That 720p sprite of the guy holding his hands in front of him, reminds me of ryu from street fighter *cough*
    Spoiler:
    Still nice sprite, just wanted to point out, that it isnt technically scratch.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's actually a combination of two things:

for the body (incidentally which is probably an original design sketch from Street Fighter II), and

for the head because I'm even worse at drawing faces.

Sure, if you like you can technically say it's not a "truly" scratch sprite, but that leaves a lot of things out as well if you're not counting things that have been pixelled and shaded originally but worked off a base illustration (Like pretty much every sprite in Pokémon or Street Fighter)

Back