• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixels, including numerous greatly animated sprites.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Guess who my favourite Pokémon is and win nothing at all.

NatureKeeper

Short Mewtwo, Electabuzz and Lucario. You could do with increasing the height.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    eh, that would kinda mess up the proportions I've got going on.

The basic rule is that they're about the same size as an old arcade sprite (Lucario's ears push it slightly taller in this scenario) with proportions based around sprites from SNK Vs Capcom on the Neo Geo Pocket.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Oh yeah, sure thing.

Anyway, here's how you take things that weren't that great,

and make them much better.

e: wouldn't it be a good idea to show all my new, good stuff at the top of the first post instead of my old, bad stuff? guess what - it is!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    So let's get back to fighting game sprites because they are a hundred times more stylistically interesting than Pokémon.

In 2004, ex-fighting game giants SNK decided to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the King Of Fighters series by releasing The King Of Fighters '94 Rebout, a remake of the first King Of Fighters game with newly drawn, higher-resolution sprites. The only problem was that the game kind of sucked for two reasons - it played awful, and it looked awful.

SNK decided to keep the general fighting engine and characters identical to the original game, which posed a bit of a problem - it isn't that fun to play anymore. The game feels much less refined and unpolished compared to later instalments in the series, and every character in the game was missing several of their signature special moves which were added in later King Of Fighters games.

While the graphics, although they were all re-drawn in higher resolution, SNK chose to redraw them based on the characters' sprites from The King Of Fighters '94. This poses another problem, as the sprites were also not very good - every character in the original game have had their sprites revamped at least once by SNK, showing how their artists improved in their style and skill. As an example, compare here Joe's sprite from The King Of Fighters '94, and two revamps later, his sprite as it appears in The King Of Fighters '99:

So, I decided to redraw a better sprite in a style similar to KOF style to see how the game might've looked with sensible design choices:

Comparison of Joe from KOF '94, KOF '94 Rebout, KOF '99 and my attempting at re-drawing

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    One ham-handed attempt at mimicking Street Fighter III style later.

totally legit my uncle works at capcom and showed me this picture of SF III Third Strike: Online Edition with surprising new additions.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    yeah.

Man, Street Fighter II looks really bad these days - now that consoles don't have tiny resolutions and massive RAM limitations. Shame they made it look even worse for the HD Remix.

pokemongarnet

CAT-BUS!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2016
    Those mewtwo and lucario and zangoose sprites could be part of a pokemon fighting game like pokemon+Street Fighter. And I love your style, these are great.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    yeah, keep an eye on those things in the future.

anyway this **** will be part of something eventually but treat them as decorative for now:

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Crosspost from here:

A smooth 254 colours thanks to the outdated GIF format and a reluctance to agree on one standard for high-colour animations.

Individual segments

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Just screwing around with alpha blending around the edges:

Tell those pastel purple Gengars to **** off.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013

It's a bear. What more do you want in 16 colours.

Seriously though Beartic only has two teeth that is not a proper dental structure for a polar bear. How can he eat.

Last edited:
    Back