• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum - Main game or sidegame?

True Justice

Shichibukai: Bartholomew Kuma
Years
  • I plan on beating Platinum first, then start moving my Pokemon from Diamond onto it. But I'll probably leave a few good Pokemon on Diamond so I'll still want to play it.

Mr. Pokemon

Still rockin' the DS Phat
    Years
  • I was thinking I'd trade my Diamond Pokemon into my Platinum, but I only have one DS. That would mean using my friend's DS and then taking a very long time to transfer them. It would be better if My Pokemon Ranch allowed you to withdraw Pokemon from another game.

EDIT: I'll probably leave some Pokemon on my Diamond if and when I get Platinum. I don't really a need duplicates of the legendaries? I'll probably trade the Palkia from Pt to Diamond just to have it in my PokeDex.

Last edited:

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
  • I think I'm going to use my Platinum as my main version from now on.
    I always tend to use the sequels such as Yellow, Crystal, and Emerald as the game I do all my real "work" on. Perhaps it's because the sequels contain more features, perhaps it's because I just like the newness of them. For whatever reason, yes, I will be using my Platinum to hold and manage all my Pokémon from Diamond and Pearl.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Well I plan on using Platinum mainly but using Diamond for storage for trades and Pearl as back up.

Bludycomicsinc

If you can read this.....
    Years
  • I was thinking I'd trade my Diamond Pokemon into my Platinum, but I only have one DS. That would mean using my friend's DS and then taking a very long time to transfer them. It would be better if My Pokemon Ranch allowed you to withdraw Pokemon from another game.

I wish.But it would be like cheating since all you have to do is ut your best pokemon in ranch from an old file and take them back out in a new file.Once I get platnium I'll trade it from my friends ds(she likes pokemon too.)

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • Yes,
    I will take my girlfriends DS (which I have to her) and put Diamond in it.
    Thus transferring to Platinum!

Mr. Pokemon

Years
  • I wish.But it would be like cheating since all you have to do is ut your best pokemon in ranch from an old file and take them back out in a new file.Once I get platnium I'll trade it from my friends ds(she likes pokemon too.)
    You can do that anyways if you have two DSes. For example, Marriland is using his level 100 Empoleon from Diamond in Platinum to get through it quickly. It's not really cheating, unless you cheated to get the Pokemon.

~*Champion Shirona*~

砞砟砠砠촼촕촂吏
    Years
  • You can do that anyways if you have two DSes. For example, Marriland is using his level 100 Empoleon from Diamond in Platinum to get through it quickly. It's not really cheating, unless you cheated to get the Pokemon.

Oh rlly? I think it is cheating. BECAUSE, it takes all the fun out of your pokemon play. You finish Platinum quickly and you have nothing more to do. Raising and leveling up pokemon in Platinum gives you something to do and look forward to, thus you can battle with them in the Frontier. And I could CARE LESS what Marriland does. Afterall he is not the PLATINUM god..lmao. I wonder why people always turn to him...rolf. What next? Marriland did a glitch to get Arceus on his Platinum...LZOMG..let's all do it. And screw up out Platinum. Like one sheep follows the rest. >__>

:16:

Bludycomicsinc

If you can read this.....
    Years
  • Oh rlly? I think it is cheating. BECAUSE, it takes all the fun out of your pokemon play. You finish Platinum quickly and you have nothing more to do. Raising and leveling up pokemon in Platinum gives you something to do and look forward to, thus you can battle with them in the Frontier. And I could CARE LESS what Marriland does. Afterall he is not the PLATINUM god..lmao. I wonder why people always turn to him...rolf. What next? Marriland did a glitch to get Arceus on his Platinum...LZOMG..let's all do it. And screw up out Platinum. Like one sheep follows the rest. >__>

Yeah speeding through the game doestake out the fun of the game.

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Oh rlly? I think it is cheating. BECAUSE, it takes all the fun out of your pokemon play. You finish Platinum quickly and you have nothing more to do. Raising and leveling up pokemon in Platinum gives you something to do and look forward to, thus you can battle with them in the Frontier. And I could CARE LESS what Marriland does. Afterall he is not the PLATINUM god..lmao. I wonder why people always turn to him...rolf. What next? Marriland did a glitch to get Arceus on his Platinum...LZOMG..let's all do it. And screw up out Platinum. Like one sheep follows the rest. >__>

If you watched the video you would know that he is just doing that to show what happens in the game. He fully intends to play through the English version the right way.

Back on topic, I will probably use Platinum as my primary version and transfer my Pkmn from my Pearl. I was really hoping for random Wifi battles, but I'll use Platimum either way.

Mr. Pokemon

Years

I'm going to keep it simple:

1. Trading your best Pokemon to a new file has been done since the days of Red, Blue and Yellow. Don't try and tell me that some 8-year-old kid wasn't like "Hey, I have a level 60 Blastoise, if I trade to a new file I could beat it so easily! Sweet!".
    2. Tell me how trading a Pokemon to another Pokemon game back to your Pokemon game is cheating. One thing, that technique is used for trade evolutions. You trade your Graveler to a friend so it evolves into a Golem. They trade it back to you. Same principle.
    3. I wasn't even replying to you.
    4. It's not cheating.

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • Nope. When I've beaten the main part of the game (Elite 4) I'll probably trade some stuff to Platinum from either my Diamond or Pearl and then trade it back to complete the Sinnoh dex on Platinum. I'll put a few good things on Platinum but more likely from my Emerald or Sapphire. The best stuffs stays on Ruby and Diamond.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Sep 11, 2011
    Trading your stronger Pokemon over to a new game file to make beating it easier isn't cheating, as long as you didn't cheat to get that Pokemon in the first place, heh. But wouldn't that be kind of pointless, seeing as you'd need all of the gym badges to make a level 100 Pokemon obey you anyways? Or did they remove that?

I'll probably catch all of the Pokemon I can in Platinum, and then breed whatever I'm missing in Diamond and transfer the eggs over, although I might just set up my team in Diamond and then send the eggs over, hatch 'em, and play the entire game with them. Why eggs? My PC in Diamond is almost perfectly set up with every single Pokemon, 1-493, only, like, 21 missing, I don't want to mess it up :P

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I plan on breeding a few of my better pokes in diamond and transferring the eggs over to platinum to hatch there. Though they won't be like power houses just cool pokes like ralts or gastly. I don't feel that that's cheating, more like increasing the challenge using pokes you like.

Years
  • I'm getting Platinum, not to make it my main game, but because I just can't wait for an American release. It may also help me to learn the Japanese language. Rather than just breeze through the game, I'm going to attempt to read much of it. If it can at least get me used to Hiraigana, it would be worth it. If I do succeed in learning the language, I could make it my main game. That's possible. I just don't realistically expect it to happen so quickly.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I'm waiting for it to come in America if it ever does ("Handsome" looks too much like the 10th Doctor from Doctor Who). It most likely will, CONSIDERING THEY DIDN'T MAKE MOTHER 3 COME INTO AMERICA!!!!!! Sorry, I just like the Mother series (the best being EarthBound).

Volkner's Apprentice

PC Veteran Prize Fighter
    Years
  • I'll wait until Platinum is released in America. But I'm stuck on which to use as my version! I'm a competitive battler and I wouldn't like my accuracy of Hypnosis dropped to 60%...I'm really surprised they would do that when it's not an in-between generations thing, like going from Emerald to D/P. Although I'd like to keep my competitive team on Pearl, Platinum will have the new battle appearance and all those other nifty features....grrr, they had to make this complicated.

I normally switch to the third version of things (Yellow, Crystal, Emerald) and do everything there, but this is going to be tough. I'm guaranteed to be lured into playing only on Platinum but then switch over to Pearl just for online battles? Yikes.

Years
  • I'm planning on using Platinum as my main game. My reason is that it feels new like a few others have mentioned. Right now, I just feel like playing through the story because I have never restarted my Diamond file ever since I got it a week after the release date.

Back