• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum or Heart Gold, which do you like more?

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    I bought Heart Gold recently, and while it's a good game it doesn't have that 'fresh' feel at all and it's waaaaaay too easy. I know the game has to sell to the younger audience, but come on now, I just beat Blue and at this point I've only 'fainted' 3 times through out the entire game.

I'm just wondering, as I haven't played the D/P/Pt series yet, how good are they? How would you compare them to HG/SS? Which did you like better?

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
    Platinum is a much tougher game than Heart Gold, Platinum even has a Final Fantasy feel to it you'll see what I mean as you play through the game.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
    I like them both for their own reasons.
    SoulSilver (HeartGold) is fun when you look at things like having Pokémon follow you around and being able to revisit Kanto. I don't have Gold/Silver/Crystal so the whole game felt pretty new to me.
    I still think I'd prefer Platinum over it, because it doesn't feel as rushed as SS/HG did. I'm only ~53 hours into SS and I've already gotten all 16 badges and am currently training up for Red, but at the same time in Platinum, I was maybe halfway through with the gyms. I also like the whole Sinnoh Underground thing and the Pokétch. Really, as petty as it sounds, I don't like SS because the PC system really really bugs me. It feels like it takes three times longer than the PCs in Platinum.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    I like them both for their own reasons.
    SoulSilver (HeartGold) is fun when you look at things like having Pokémon follow you around and being able to revisit Kanto. I don't have Gold/Silver/Crystal so the whole game felt pretty new to me.
    I still think I'd prefer Platinum over it, because it doesn't feel as rushed as SS/HG did. I'm only ~53 hours into SS and I've already gotten all 16 badges and am currently training up for Red, but at the same time in Platinum, I was maybe halfway through with the gyms. I also like the whole Sinnoh Underground thing and the Pokétch. Really, as petty as it sounds, I don't like SS because the PC system really really bugs me. It feels like it takes three times longer than the PCs in Platinum.

That's a legitimate complaint, the menu transitions in Heart Gold are waaaayyy too slow and really bug me sometimes.

I just completed Heart Gold (All 16 badges and beat the Elite 4 the 2nd time) in around 53-54 hours. Heart Gold as a whole just felt old to me, even though they redesigned a lot of things the worlds were very uninteresting. I beat the Elite 4 the 2nd time and my team was WAAAAY under leveled. My highest level pokemon was level 60 and I whooped on everyone, even Lance with his level 75 Dragonite. It's a joke how easy the game is.

I'm somewhat disappointed. I hope that Platinum is better. I watched my sister play Diamond and just the feel of the game sparks my interest better than Heart Gold did, it was just uninteresting to me. It has the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald feel to it and I LOVED those games.

Also is it possible to battle someone from Diamond if you are on Heart Gold?

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Platinum, definitely. HeartGold/SoulSilver is too easy, and the Johto Pokemon are very poorly presented, seeing as 98% of the trainers in Johto use Kanto Pokemon. Even with the extra region included, it's still shorter than Platinum.

By the time I reached the Elite Four in Platinum, I had 70 hours clocked up. Right now in HeartGold, I have 14 badges, and I only have 50 hours clocked up. So Platinum has more replay value, even though HG/SS has 2 regions.

Also the storyline is much better in Platinum. In Platinum, it actually feels like you have this great epic journey to go through, and you have to defeat this menacing group of villains, and the climax is awesome. In HeartGold, it's just... meh. Team Rocket isn't menacing at all, I mean, seriously, in the climactic fight of the storyline in HG/SS, you fight a guy with a Lv35 Houndour (plus Koffing and Houndoom). In the climactic fight of the storyline in HG/SS, you fight a menacing emo guy with a Lv46 Gyarados, along with more high-leveled Crobat, Houndoom, Honchkrow, and an IMO, very tough Lv48 Weavile. Archer is pathetic compared to Cyrus. Cyrus is actually trying to control time and space, while all Archer wants to do is contact his old buddy. Because Cyrus is a lot tougher, it feels more of an accomplishment to defeat him.

Also is it possible to battle someone from Diamond if you are on Heart Gold?
    Yes of course, every main series 4th Gen game is battle & trade compatible with one another

BusterTheFox

Pokemon Intruder
    Years
    Hmm...this seemed like a stupid idea for a thread at first, since first of all, it didn't mention SoulSilver, the better of the two, in it's thread title. ;) And also because I think HG/SS is better so far. BUT, then I read some of the comments, and most of them are very good points.

For one thing, I also hate the new PC system. It seems like I'm always switching between the touch screen and buttons. They don't have it organized well at ALL. Aside from that, the music is awesome, the graphics are nice, and there are some new story elements and areas to visit.

I haven't beaten either(In SS I'm trying to beat Chuck, while in Pt I'm trying to beat Volkner), since my DS broke, but so far, as story is concerned, Platinum was WAY better. But, that's not the only thing to consider.

In HG/SS, you also have the Poke-athlon. I mean, some people may take that for granted, but if you have any idea how much time and effort the developers must've put into it, it's pretty dang huge in itself. Not to mention, those little games are pretty fun, too. HG/SS also hosts the return of the ever-loved Battle Frontier, right where the old Battle Tower used to be in Crystal.

In Pt, we get Looker. woo. Personally, I think he's REALLY annoying. In HG/SS, we get the return of Eusine. He's less annoying.
    Lastly, the Giratina battle music in Pt is so darn cool...I mean, it's fast, it's scary, it doesn't use the same kind of musical style as the rest of the music in the game(Anyone else notice the musical repetition in all the pokemon games? in RSE we got a lot of "Bum, Bumbum. Bum, Bumbum". XD). I saved right before him and replayed that battle five times before I finally caught him with the master ball. It's really too bad I don't get to do it again. D=

vibratingcat

new username, razzbat
    Years
    i just got the hard copy of platinum and am enjoying it quite a lot! i like both games for differant reasons so its kinda hard to choose which is better. But it feels alot better to play HGSS before u play platinum. i feel i apreciate both games more. like some rare pokemon in hgss is easily obtainable in platinum like sudowoodo. it also feels like ur continuing from HGSS in a way, with being able to capture the 3rd and 4th gen pokemon easily.
    if i had to choose between either, i would say hgss is the better of the 2 as my favourite series is 2.

The Girl Once named Tracie

She who tames Celebi
    Years
    I liked Platinum A LOT more than Heartgold (not that I didn't like it) for many reasons.

For one, I was completely done with Heartgold (Red and all) after a mere 15 hours. Those 15 hours were a fun 15 hours, but it was too short to be worth the extra cost of the game.

Platinum had soooo much more stuff it it - a seaside resort, a distrotion world, a city covered in snow, portals you pulled the legendaries out of... just so much more than Johto did. The extra region did make me smile, but not for long.

Johto was also fun because you could catch many different pokemon - it's the first game where you can catch a starter in the wild! (if you count the pokewalker as part of the game) and Larvitar, Gible, Riolu, Metang, and so many others are out there at level 40 and higher! I was very impressed with this.

The better part of me says Platinum, and the smaller part says Heartgold, if that makes any sense.

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
    Years
    I havent played Soul Silver yet (I am getting it next week :)) but Platinum is very good, probably one of the best, but then again I like the idea of pokemon following you and I love the idea of the Pokewalker although from what people have said, I have just wasted my Christmas present on a rubbish game...

salot

Gomu Gomu no Jet Pistol(K.O)
    Years
    platinum was full of adnevtures but i say that heartgold is more appealing to me

AuroraHearts

Noob Master
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    i prefer hg/ss, dunno why
    i just found it alot more interesting than platinum, since i got bored of the new pokemon in platinum

Ezio Auditore da Firenze

Well.....overall HeartGold/SoulSilver is probably hard, as you have a hard time getting anywhere near the levels of the Elite Four for the second round, and it is impossible to get to the stage of beating Red without grinding....

Also, the new games have better graphics, better use of the touchscreen, and whole lot more to do post-plotline than Platinum.

However, Platinum's ok too...but pokemon can't follow you.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I personally prefer Platinum. Not to take anything away from SS, but I played Crystal last summer and it just feels I'm doing the same thing all over again. I don't like the "menu in the touch screen" interface because it's all too easy to hit it on accident. Moving Pokemon in the PC system is more cumbersome as well.

Some of the HG/SS features, like Pokeathlon and having Pokemon follow you, didn't really add very much to my enjoyment of the game. And the final boss, Red, is only challenging on account of the steep level curve. I'd rather not have the "toughest" trainer in my games using a Pokemon as weak as Pikachu, thank you very much.

And, though Team Rocket > Team Galactic overall, TR's presence in HG/SS was rather unimpressive to say the least. In Platinum, you had this epic battle in the Distortion World with a crazy megalomaniac with five very tough Pokemon, while in HG/SS you battle this guy with three Pokemon in their mid-30's, with two not even evolved, in a radio broadcast station. Archer only makes this one appearance in the entire game (unlike Cyrus, who you meet at the very start of Platinum), and Archer seems to be a puppet of the (notably absent) Giovanni.

Plus, in Platinum, the female character actually doesn't look like a Koopa-stomping plumber from another of Nintendo's franchises.

They're both good games, but if I had to choose one of the two, I'd pick Platinum.

Kitsora

Johto Kimono Girl
    Years
    Heartgold Lover

I don't really want to make anyone upset because they like Platinum.... I freaked out because my very first game ever was Gold version, and when I heard they were making remakes, I drove my friends nuts. I love Heartgold, because I remembered every little detail. Yes, it wasn't exactly perfect, but I knew they had to accommodate the new features somehow. I am very, very pleased with Heartgold, and my baby, Typhlosion, is now one of my base team Pokemon. I probably have a very sentimentally based opinion, but I prefer Heartgold to Platinum any day.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2010
    Well.....overall HeartGold/SoulSilver is probably hard, as you have a hard time getting anywhere near the levels of the Elite Four for the second round, and it is impossible to get to the stage of beating Red without grinding....

Also, the new games have better graphics, better use of the touchscreen, and whole lot more to do post-plotline than Platinum.

However, Platinum's ok too...but pokemon can't follow you.

I beat the Elite 4 the second time with my highest leveled pokemon being level 60. Lance's level 75 Dragonite was nothing for my level 59 Dragonite...

Back