• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum: Was it worth it?

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    ... At first, it was nothing much better from the original games, but after I got to the point where I could get Porygon (I'm a HUGE Porygon fan in case you hadn't noticed, and Porygon-Z was the only reason I started playing Pokémon again after losing my R/S/E versions), I had an all new perspective of things. I stored my starter into my PC and beat the rest of my gyms with my new-found buddy.

After we got to the Elite-4, me and my Porygon2 had the Elite-4 battle of a life time, crushing all who opposed us and prevailing thorugh Cynthia's challenge.

My oppinion:

$34.99 well spent.

Shadow Umbreon Xd 002

Shadow. Lord of speed.
    Years
    Personally i thought pltinum was like its prequels until i saw all the new features.I don't know if it was worth my money becaus i got it for my birthday:DBut if i did buy it it would be worth my money

Years
    I am glad I got Platinum, it's better than Diamond/Pearl because there are new features. (Battle Frontier!)

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2009
    Its very good,i hadvent got it yet,though,I pre-ordered it,however
    Me and my bro played Pearl and then one day he lost it..Until then,we've had no game to play on exept the old GameBoy games.Then i saw Platinum.its like D/P just some cool extras.more pokemon.More glitches,too
    if you've not got a Pokemon game for DS,and you seen Diamond OR pearl And seen Platinum,get platinum,a few add ons,and i Love the Barry(Rival)Dance XD
    Anyway,so,i think its a nice shot.they,however,need to make a pokemon Gold,Silver and crystal remake.
    Jordan's PokePet
    Platinum: Was it worth it?
    Platinum: Was it worth it?

Sid the level 70 Charizard!

ckret2

usually pronounced "secret 2"
    Years
    It was worth it a thousand times over. I got Platinum thinking, okay, it'll be basically like Pearl, with a new Galactic Commander and Distortion World. (Those were the selling points for me. I probably wouldn't have gotten it otherwise.) And now? Having beaten the Elite Four and had the time of my life running all over Battle Frontier's island, Pearl is all but unplayable for me.

- Faster battle scripts and faster surfing, thank you thank you!!
    - More cool Pokémon available earlier, like Rotom, Porygon, Eevee, and Scyther. (... yeah, so Scyther isn't quite as big a deal as the other three. But I desperately wanted a Scizor on my team.)
    - Rather more epic buildings, like Fantina's gym. I loved that maze.
    - Battle Frontier and that whole island. Enough said.
    - And, most important to me at least, a serious upgrade to the plot. More Cyrus, more Team Galactic in general, post Elite Four evil schemes (even if there wasn't a ton there), the sheer epic amazingness that was the entire Distortion World arc, Looker... etc.

Really, it was the plot that did it for me. (Yes, I play Pokémon games for the plot...) As a fan of the evil teams, Platinum has by far the best evil team plotline--at least in my opinion. :P

IauraLucario

Eh bored.
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2009
    Well i have bought Pokemon Platinum also when it came out :l i also got the guide book with it quit usefull! Well i think the game is great, the new looks the new form's of pokeon and the Wi-Fi plaza rock's also and when you get pokemon in diffenrt languge's you can read them all 8D Well i tihkn Platinum was awesome 10/10 [:

K-K-Slider

SQUIRTLE!
    Years
    Well, I'm quite glad I stirred up a good conversation, and it seems almost unanimous. My only gripe with it is the lack of people who actually have it yet... Me and my aforementioned friend are the only IRL people I know who own it, and only around 35% of the users on here seem to have it.

The Red Chain

All of the reasons why have been stated above, but I must admit I absolutely adored the extended storyline.
    Especially when you get to Spear Pillar and the Dragon Trio and Lake Trio sequence begins. The way they remade that sequence made my heart pound with excitement. <3
    I actually pay much more attention to the Battle Tower in Platinum then in DP.. it just feels.. better for some reason.
    The battle animations and surfing speeds are amazing as well.. now it doesn't take 15 minutes JUST to get to the Pokemon League.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    What a stupid question. But I shall answer it nonetheless.

Of course it was worth the money - And I say that with even more emphasis since I live in england and imported an american copy.
    Seriously, It cost me £40.
    And I don't regret it one bit.
    There's just too much here to call these upgrades "Hasty Tack-ons"
    The graphics have been greatly updated with all new tiles, which made the experience even more fresh.
    The battle frontier is here aswell, which has added a good 20+ hours onto my playtime so far (If not, more)
    The storyline's improved, along with the AI.
    And i'm finding it much more easier to play in the Battle Tower, Because battles no longer drag on.
    The horrible surfing speed in D/P is gone..
    Platinum's HP and EXP boxes look alot more attractive.
    Everything seems to flow alot more, and I'm glad I purchased platinum.
    I've played EVERY pokémon game to date, And I can easily say this is the best, closely followed by Crystal.

I've put 70 hours into the game so far. It took me 40 Just to beat the game.
    Normally after I've done everything story-wise, I find myself bored.
    But platinum offers so much more than that. It find it alot more playable than diamond and pearl, Diamond of which I struggled to clock in 140 Hours over a space of two years..
    I can say that I will have surpassed that with platinum by the time it reaches UK shores.
    Then I'm going to buy a UK copy, and go through all the fun of the story again.

Platinum is definitely worth it - and those who say it is just like diamond and pearl should definitely reconsider their decision.

Years
    Well i recently got a version of Pokemon Platinum, Umm Illegally i must say but i live in the UK so i couldn't wait, downloaded it, put it on my R4 im only like 40 minutes into and it's already different and makes me want to keep playing it, and i'll be getting it when it'd released in the UK too :)

So was it worth it? I can't say, but to those who think it's the same as Diamond & Pearl I strongly disagree even the start is different, sublte touches like this make the game seem new to the player :)

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I imported a copy form Japan, and I can say it was truly worth it. Because it is so similar to Diamond and Pearl, it was REALLY easy to navigate, even though I knew very little Japanese.

Even now that it's out in North America, I still have no regrets and I am NOT planning to get an English copy of the game.

Regardless of what language you get it in, Pokemon Platium is well worth its weight in gold.

Futbollar

Stanford Cardinal
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2009
    Platinum was the first pokemon in a while that I played extensively and I thought it was a good primer to learn pokemon

World King

Twilight Silver Beast
    Years
    I'll keep it simple: The only Pokémon game that can ever be compared to how good Platinum is, would be the GS games. That means only a gold/Silver Remake can be far better than Platinum.

Nintendo, when the heck are you gonna work on those?! Everyone wants them!!!​

Years
    Like I said in the other thread, Platinum is more of a new, refreshed game than an improvement from D/P. There are so many new things with Platinum, I just can't find a way to say that Platinum is just an improvement.

Cobalt Eagle

The Shining Blue Bird
    Years
    Even though it looks like a slight improvement from Diamond and Pearl, it has so many more features that make it better than Diamond and Pearl, so I think Platinum is worth it.

Azzurra

Banned
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 3, 2013
    I think Platinum was worth it, because in the end of the game you can face all the Sinnoh Gym leaders again, and your rival. Plus, they've added the battle frontier which only makes things more exciting!

Years
    • Seen May 25, 2009
    I liked Platinum (am still playing it) I know its against the rules to critsize it for sticking to close with D/P but I dunno.. I just wanted.. more? but its still fun, mostly cause its alot harder!

Back