• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Playthroughs with a different starter than Turtwig, Chimchar, or Piplup

PikachuMan

Pikachu Fanatic
Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Anyone doing one?

I am. I started with Riolu, and throughout the game I've traded myself other Pokemon(the Kanto starters+Dratini), and am right now almost to the 4th gym :D

kissing. raindrops

just jump, you might fly <3
    Years
  • I've tried that, although it gets so annoying when the Pokemon doesn't obey you at the start before you get the 2nd gym badge.

BoBoMaster13

Shiny and Event Collecter
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 4, 2010
    I traded a Pikachu, Charmander and 1 other for my playthrough along with pipulp.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2009
    I always do this with the 3rd game of each gen. It makes the game more fun and it feels more fresh.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Ow, kinda wished I had thought of doing that. I'll probably try that with the next gen's 3rd game.

Sackferth

Fonetics Phanatic
    Years
  • If you trade an egg over to it, it will have the OT of whatever game it hatches on; which means it will always listen to you no matter what level it gets to.

Years
  • I did a Scramble Challenge for Diamond, where a Horsea basically served as my starter.

On Platinum, I'm using my Turtwig along with a Bagon from an egg and a Cyndaquil off the GTS. It gets annoying when CYndaquil won't obey despite being at the same level as my other Pokémon.

What were they thinking making the Pokémon of the Gym needed to make Levels 10-30 obey have levels in their 20s? =/

mystery913

some guy
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2009
    ive always wanted to do this but i wouldnt know what pokemon to use maybe a pokemon thats not in the original sinnoh dex maybe ill try with a horsea or something...

Game Over1375

Hito-Shura is awesome
    Years
  • I personally would like to start out with a dragon...

You know what? I am going to do that right now. Just how do you trade eggs to another game though?

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I haven't done it before but I had though about it once. :) xD

The only thing is that when they get to a certain level they will disobey.

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • I have done tha lots of times on my DP games , but I usually trade over eggs so I wont have any obidience issues later on, right now on my pearl I have transfered a growlithe and beldum egg to my new run In pearl that I will start later today

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years
  • I've hatched a Totodile egg in Diamond and went through with that (after, of course, training it to level 30 in another game. )

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've only done that on Crystal. I caught a Dunsparce in Dark Cave before I even went to Violet City for the first time, and I ditched My Starter(Cyndaquil) for it.

And that led to me liking Dunsparce more than any other Pokemon ever. Yep... Still have that Dunsparce. Good times...

With Platinum, I just Picked Naetoru and rolled with it, because it's fully-evolved form, Dodaitos, is the ONLY starter with a STAB Earthquake.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
  • Meh, I restarted platinum.
    I dumped my Chimchar in the PC, because it was bold natured.
    I'm now using Staravia and Machop..
    Which are both adamant natured :)

Back