• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PLOT / CHARACTER discussion & help

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Since several of us seemed to think it's a good idea, here it is...

the PLOT / CHARACTER discussion & help thread

What goes here? Well, if you have a plot in your mind but don't quite know how to word it or evolve it further, post your idea here and have your fellow RPers take a look at it and give their feedback.

Don't get sad if you get critique, it's for constructive purposes. But at the same time, be careful about giving critique; throw in good things as well and if you complain about something, give a suggestion of something better at the same time!

Shortly spoken: be nice.

You can also post ideas on characters you feel like you want to play in an upcoming RP and get help if you have a hard time writing out a decent SU. Ideas for histories and personalities can be shared, and the level of Mary Sue-ness can be watched over with the little help of all the RPers who post here ;)

- This thread is not supposed to be a general roleplay chit-chat thread. That's what the Roleplay Discussion thread is for.

- Don't post here just to advertise an RP. If you post ideas here, people will notice your RP anyways. plus, that's what the Roleplay Discussion thread is for

- Review and give feedback on other people's ideas often, and people will be more willing to give feedback when you need help yourself!

Here are some useful things for making a good roleplay or character!

★ [ Skymin's little guide to character creation ]
    ★ [ How To Create Great Posts, by Michaela ]

Last edited:

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Well since it's up, might as well use it, right?

Anywho, I'm actually a very avid RPer, but sadly not many RPs that have captured my interest are open :/ So, in loo of that, I was thinking of starting my own (4th...? Time's the charge). However, I wanted to get some opinions first.

Basically, if there was an RP that worked very much like a table-top RPG (D&D) and the actual games (Stats, HP, etc.) would you be interested in playing? I ask because a good majority of the RPs here don't really follow things like that at all and battles are pretty much left to creative narrative to determine the winner, which is generally the person describing the battle. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but I've wanted to post a more traditional RP for a while.

C+C? Any ideas would be appreciated (:

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    A traditional D+D approach RP? Yeah, I would be interested. That would depend on the full plot though.

I sort of went with a mixture of the creative narrative/stats myself for the Sophrosune RP because it allows the people to have a fair fight with trainers and pokemon they plan to catch while still alowing them to fill in the blank of how it really happened using the battle log as reference.

But what you're proposing needs clarification about what it would be about- a plot can easily make or break a RP.

Spikey-Eared Pichu

Pichu-pi!
    Years
    Well, actually, your RP sort of inspired me ;^_^ I was actually really disappointed to see all the spots were taken D; I haven't really gotten the plot down yet to be honest~

Fort PokePower

Muffins forever
    Years

Anywho, I'm actually a very avid RPer, but sadly not many RPs that have captured my interest are open :/ So, in loo of that, I was thinking of starting my own (4th...? Time's the charge). However, I wanted to get some opinions first.

Basically, if there was an RP that worked very much like a table-top RPG (D&D) and the actual games (Stats, HP, etc.) would you be interested in playing? I ask because a good majority of the RPs here don't really follow things like that at all and battles are pretty much left to creative narrative to determine the winner, which is generally the person describing the battle. Now, there's nothing wrong with that, but I've wanted to post a more traditional RP for a while.

That actually sounds really fun, and I usually don't like RPs based on the games XD It would be nice to have an RP to post in where I don't have to give a big long description about a battle.

This is just a random idea that popped into my head last night when I was trying to come up with a way to better the RP I'm working on (which I'm giving up on and turning into a fanfic). I didn't see anything like it anywhere and I actually like it more than my original RP idea.

An accident cause some pokemon to be sent back in time to a time when pokemon were forced to fight to the death in the arena, whether it be against other pokemon or humans. These pokemon have to find a way back to their own time while also trying to survive, not get captured, and not be taken to the arena.

I still need to work out all the details, write a nice long plot, etc.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    An accident cause some pokemon to be sent back in time to a time when pokemon were forced to fight to the death in the arena, whether it be against other pokemon or humans. These pokemon have to find a way back to their own time while also trying to survive, not get captured, and not be taken to the arena.

It sounds like a lot of potential. I'd roll with the idea and see what come to your mind. I would add some special pizzaz to it to make it stand out, because some of these plot lines strike similar-plot-bells in my head.

I prescribe infinite ccs of creativity. :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024

I've thought about that several times and if you had the energy to properly create and keep one running, it would be interesting to see how it unfolds. Maybe more would come in its wake. I, however, like the creative narrative part of RPing ;) That's apparently mostly what forum RPing are, at least on PC. But I'd think it's absolutely possible to do a more traditional RP here.

Like Kiyoshi's saying though, much depends on the plot.

This is just a random idea that popped into my head last night when I was trying to come up with a way to better the RP I'm working on (which I'm giving up on and turning into a fanfic). I didn't see anything like it anywhere and I actually like it more than my original RP idea.

Sounds a bit cliché. But then again, what doesn't nowadays? That could probably work, if you make sure that a lot of cool battles are put in :3 And that the plot has a goal for the players to work towards. Are they going to get a hint about how they can get back into their own time?

Years
    Yeah, I'm working on that. It's going to have something to do with either Celebi or Dialga, can't decide which one yet. I might even do both.
    If I may throw in my 2 cents here, I suggest Celebi. Since it's known as the Time Travel Pokemon, it makes it more suitable and related to the idea of 'going back in time'. I mean Dialga controls and created time, but that doesn't mean (or it isn't known factually) that it actually utilizes time as a mode of transportation. But anywho, it's up to you to decide. :3

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    Oh my god, YES! This thread is just YES!

Anyway. I'm totally not just here to express my love for this thread.

I have a character to put up on the board.

I made this particular character from a concept that is her history and built her on top of that, basically. Her age is also a significant factor and part of the original concept.

https://sites.google.com/site/chaoticmarin/elizabeth

I put all my characters on my personal website dedicated to character sheets, so I figure it might be more convenient to just post that so as to not wall-of-text or need to use spoilers.

Basically? To explain her history a bit, that's meant to justify her oddities personality wise. It's not meant to be a plot and her problems are honestly not meant to be solved. Her "powers" (I use that term loosely.) are there for the same reason.

She is primarily intended to be /extremely/ heavy on character interaction. (Moreso than my other OCs) and the strength of her pokemon is mostly influenced by the events around her. Overall, she is not meant to be a top tier trainer regardless of how positively others influence her.

And yeah, that's all I have to say on top of the profile.

Basically, my question is, how can I improve on her?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Basically, my question is, how can I improve on her?

Okay, I'm going to give feed back on this best I can. If you feel offended in any way, I'm sorry. D:

Okay, so, first off... It's rather vague. When I say vague, I had to read through the personality twice to understand that she was shy. After reading through the whole thing, I have no idea why she is so hell bent on survival. What, was she stuck in the middle of no where after she fell out of the time loop? Though realistically, an average 10 year old (without the protection of pokémon would die in any sort of situation unless he/she was close to civilisation)

You have to remember when writing any kind of sign up that your first sentance should define the character as a whole so that whoever reads it knows exactly who your character is. For instance, you say Elizabeth is shy or quiet? Your first sentence should maybe be "Elizabeth is a quiet and shy girl, forced into survival mode ever since she changed eras", but in your own style of course. The rest of the 2 or 3 paragraphs you write develop on those main points you mentioned, then expands on quirks. It's like a resume! You have to say as much as you can in as much detail without making it too long, but keeping it interesting all of the way!

About the history, space it out, please! When I read huge blocks of text, my eyes hurt and it pains to read on.

I do cringe a little on the storyline, but history always depends on the roleplay, so I'm not going to dive into that very far.

okay... i think i'm done! i hope i helped!

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
    I honestly wrote the personality up at the last second. |D But yeah. It totally sounded awkward even then. I rewrote it in an attempt to make it better. I also added a teeny bit of formatting to the history. Any thoughts about the new personality field?

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    That personality is way better now. So much easier to read. Quick and straight to the point! You could probably make another paragraph after it developing each key feature of her personality, maybe touching in how she gets angry, nervous, sad, etc.

Ice.

Ice.
    Years
    I have a little preview on a RP idea I have. I want to see what people think about the idea before I publish it.

The Oak Conspiracy:

Date:May 20,2023

This is the day when it all began. The world renowned Pokemon Professor Samuel Oak was giving a speech at the Celadon City Pavillion. The speech was about the Legendary Pokemon Mew, and about the power Mew has. The speech was heard by many Pokemon enthusiasts from around the world. The speech was brilliant, another typical Professor Oak speech. However, when Professor Oak left the Pavillion, things only got worse. When heading back to the Hotel Oak was staying at, Oak was assassinated in his Aston Martin One-77. This assassination hit National Headlines at near light-speed, sending the Kanto and Johto regions into a somber state of mourning from the loss of the famed Professor.

So, what do you guys think about this idea?

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    Very interesting way to start off, so, is it going to be a journey plot, or....?

You'd didn't give us any clue to what the RP'ers do in the, well, RP.

STARMAN15

The Mage of the Group
    Years
    I guess this would be the best place to put this, but if anyone wants help really developing a character, this is a form that we used on a site I used to be on that has really helped me get to know my characters so much better. I just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested =). And I know it's rather long, but honestly it doesn't take that long if you're doing it on your own time just for your benefit. Oh, and I forgot... you can leave things blank if they don't apply, or add other things (like pokemon) if they do =)

Full Name:

Nickname(s):

Title(s):

Image (for pictures; use a link):

Class:

Weapons:

Race:

Nationality:

Birthday:

Family:

Pet(s):

Allergy(s):

Accent:

Language(s):

Religion:

Sexual Orientation:

Infatuation:

Marital Status:

Favorite Music Genre(s):

Favorite Song(s):

Favorite Book(s):

Favorite Color:

Favorite Animal:

Favorite Food:

Hobbies:

Dislikes:

Personality:

Background History:

Other:

Emotions of your character...
    ~Write a sentence or two on how your character will react when in a given situation~
    (Note: You don't have to complete all of them. Just the ones you think your character will usually experience.)

During a rainy day:

When in a cheerful mood:

When annoyed:

When aggravated:

When feeling confused:

When trying to profess love:

After making a fool of oneself:

When seeing something embarrassing:

When accused of doing something the character did not do:

When in danger:

When character's friend is in danger:

When a loved one dies:

Before a battle:

After winning a fight:

After losing a fight:

Witnessing the death of someone:

When dying:

(Also, I'd like to credit the creation of this to Tyren of Aisenfield)

Ice.

Ice.
    Years
    Very interesting way to start off, so, is it going to be a journey plot, or....?

You'd didn't give us any clue to what the RP'ers do in the, well, RP.

Well, I am still working on what the RPers will be doing, but it will likely be linked to the Prof. Oak Assassination. One idea I had was a Pokemon Detective RP, mixed in with Journey ideas. Along with this idea, the task would be to find who assassinated Oak. But, I will be working on the plot.

Years
    I guess this would be the best place to put this, but if anyone wants help really developing a character, this is a form that we used on a site I used to be on that has really helped me get to know my characters so much better. I just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested =). And I know it's rather long, but honestly it doesn't take that long if you're doing it on your own time just for your benefit. Oh, and I forgot... you can leave things blank if they don't apply, or add other things (like pokemon) if they do =)

Full Name:

Nickname(s):

Title(s):

Image (for pictures; use a link):

Class:

Weapons:

Race:

Nationality:

Birthday:

Family:

Pet(s):

Allergy(s):

Accent:

Language(s):

Religion:

Sexual Orientation:

Infatuation:

Marital Status:

Favorite Music Genre(s):

Favorite Song(s):

Favorite Book(s):

Favorite Color:

Favorite Animal:

Favorite Food:

Hobbies:

Dislikes:

Personality:

Background History:

Other:

Emotions of your character...
    ~Write a sentence or two on how your character will react when in a given situation~
    (Note: You don't have to complete all of them. Just the ones you think your character will usually experience.)

During a rainy day:

When in a cheerful mood:

When annoyed:

When aggravated:

When feeling confused:

When trying to profess love:

After making a fool of oneself:

When seeing something embarrassing:

When accused of doing something the character did not do:

When in danger:

When character's friend is in danger:

When a loved one dies:

Before a battle:

After winning a fight:

After losing a fight:

Witnessing the death of someone:

When dying:

(Also, I'd like to credit the creation of this to Tyren of Aisenfield)
    IMHO, I think its too spaced out and long. And writing a few lines for each category isn't too promising. I guess it's kinda good for practicing writing the real SUs. Maybe you could make the class, weapons etc optional since not all RPs fall under the medieval and/or fantasy genre. :>

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back