• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Approved] PMD&D: Paradox Stuff

Years
  • So, we talked a bit about what we wanted to do. Basically, we wanted to have the players choose Paradox Pokemon as their choices. Have heroes from other eras be brought to the present to save the day basically. Given how powerful Paradox Pokemon are, we can probably go a little bit harder on this one narratively. I'm thinking lean into the dungeon crawl side of things.

Here's my plot/concept idea for that: The world is in chaos, but the conflict is nearing its final stages. Unable to finish the job themselves, someone (Celebi?) summons forth heroes through time to ascend the enemy towers and finish the job.

I was thinking it could be fun if we ran four sessions with 3-5 players each group. Then we could use a different Treasure of Ruin for the final boss of each section and treat every session as part of the same canon. Any thoughts or additions?

Years
  • So, we talked a bit about what we wanted to do. Basically, we wanted to have the players choose Paradox Pokemon as their choices. Have heroes from other eras be brought to the present to save the day basically. Given how powerful Paradox Pokemon are, we can probably go a little bit harder on this one narratively. I'm thinking lean into the dungeon crawl side of things.

Here's my plot/concept idea for that: The world is in chaos, but the conflict is nearing its final stages. Unable to finish the job themselves, someone (Celebi?) summons forth heroes through time to ascend the enemy towers and finish the job.

I was thinking it could be fun if we ran four sessions with 3-5 players each group. Then we could use a different Treasure of Ruin for the final boss of each section and treat every session as part of the same canon. Any thoughts or additions?

IK I'm not hosting etc. but just piping up to say the concept sounds great! in terms of the actual characters, I like the idea of almost having the (I forgot the actual term) 'overpowered' aspect, so players can really feel like the Paradox mons they're playing as.

I am presuming that points-wise, it's 25 per player that completes session 0 and their actual session as per last year?

If so, event all good my end once we get the full details up.

Years
  • IK I'm not hosting etc. but just piping up to say the concept sounds great! in terms of the actual characters, I like the idea of almost having the (I forgot the actual term) 'overpowered' aspect, so players can really feel like the Paradox mons they're playing as.

I am presuming that points-wise, it's 25 per player that completes session 0 and their actual session as per last year?

If so, event all good my end once we get the full details up.

Probably the same as last year yeah.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I'm not sure if we'll be able to fill four games, but three should certainly be doable! I do like the idea of giving them all a unique twist too!

We'll probably be looking at:
    - Character creation: (18), 19, 20 August
    - Game session: (25), 26, 27 August

Years
  • I'm not sure if we'll be able to fill four games, but three should certainly be doable! I do like the idea of giving them all a unique twist too!

We'll probably be looking at:
    - Character creation: (18), 19, 20 August
    - Game session: (25), 26, 27 August

I can do the Saturday sessions at 10:00 or 11:00pm my time. That would give me 1-2 hours of room to do the session 0. There'd be no worries about the following week's actual game. The Sundays are pretty much a right-off for me unless I can manage the middle of the day without interruptions somehow. Fridays are in a similar situation unless I do it early on a Sat morning for me.

Years
  • Notes:

- Times decided
    - Available mon decided
    - Basic structure decided
    - Why do we do this to ourselves?

Post will be written up to actually explain all this tomorrow hopefully.

Years

• PMD&D: Paradox Tower

Welcome to another Get-Together edition of Pokemon Mystery Dungeons and Dragon(ite)s - Paradox Tower.

As the name implies, this is a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon-inspired TTRPG (tabletop roleplaying game) much like D&D. Granted, we designed this system to be much simpler and more beginner-friendly than actual Dungeons and Dragons. Someone with no TTRPG experience should find this just as easy to understand mechanically as someone who has been playing similar games for years.

To put it simply, your Game Master (either myself or Lycanthropy) will be guiding you through a PMD-inspired story we have put together just for this Get-Together. You will take on the role of a Pokemon hero - much like the games themselves - playing out interactions, solving puzzles and engaging in battles with the aid of (virtual) dice rolls to determine outcomes. That's the general idea. We'll explain more during each group's Session 0 (more on that below). However, you are plenty welcome to ask questions in advance in this thread.

Note: While we understand talking out loud during a TTRPG can feel a bit awkward at first, especially if you're someone who is really trying to get into character, you will need to be able to participate vocally in a Discord call to join. In previous years, we've let people play their characters in text, but it slows down the gameplay a lot and isn't really practical when you're on a time crunch.

The Story

The world is in chaos and threatening to crumble down around its inhabitants. A dangerous foe is laying siege to the everything, determined to see everything come to an end. The conflict is reaching a head and while the world's defenders have made much progress, it looks like they will fall just short of the finish line. But Celebi has a plan- one last attempt to seal the deal and protect everyone. Celebi has reached through time itself to summon forth heroes of the past and future to save the present.

That's where you come in. You are one of these mighty heroes brought to the present from another time. The world's final hope. Your task is simple, but far from easy. You must reach and enter Paradox Tower, ascend to the top and defeat those who seek to bring everything to ruin.

Available Player Pokemon

As a player, you can choose one of the fourteen Pokemon below to be your character's species. Of course, just about everything else about them - personality, history, etc - is up to you. We ask that you let us know which of these Pokemon you plan to play as on the 17th at the latest so we can arrange a selection of moves for you to choose during Session 0 (I promise, I'm getting to that). But first, the Pokemon you can choose:

Scheduling

We will be running this game for three groups, each having two sessions over the course of the GT. During week one, we will what we call Session 0. This is the session where rather than play the game, we will explain how the system works to you in a little more detail, introduce you to your character sheets and help you actually create your characters. Then, the next week, you will actually play the game. Each time slot is listed below.

- Friday August 18, 6:00pm EST (Group A Session 0)
    - Saturday August 19, 10:00am EST (Group B Session 0)
    - Sunday August 20, 4:00am EST (Group C Session 0)
    - Friday August 25, 6:00pm EST (Group A Game)
    - Saturday August 26, 10:00am EST (Group B Game)
    - Sunday August 27, 4:00am EST (Group C Game)

Groups A and B will be run by me while group C will be run by Lycanthropy. We're aiming to have 3-5 players for each game, but if we end up with more than that for any of them we'll see what we can do. Session 0 is expected to last an hour or so while the actual game will last 3-4 hours, so keep that in mind when you sign-up.

This is a helpful tool for converting the above timezones to your own.

This is a collaborative game, so there's isn't really any way for any one team to do better than the other here. Instead, we'll be giving 25 participation points to everyone who participates in both their Session 0 and the game itself. Essentially, the more of you that join the fun, the more points you'll earn for your team.

Players

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Made a bunch of edits all throughout, but all relatively minor ones. Post was pretty solid as is! ^^ Also added an image yay!

PMD&D: Paradox Tower

Welcome to another Get-Together edition of Pokémon Mystery Dungeons and Dragon(ite)s - Paradox Tower.

As the name implies, this is a Pokémon Mystery Dungeon-inspired TTRPG (tabletop roleplaying game) much like D&D. Granted, we designed this system to be much simpler and more beginner-friendly than actual Dungeons and Dragons. Someone with no TTRPG experience should find this just as easy to understand mechanically as someone who has been playing similar games for years.

To put it simply, your Game Master (either myself or Lycanthropy) will be guiding you through a PMD-inspired story we have put together just for this Get-Together. You will take on the role of a Pokémon hero - much like the games themselves - playing out interactions, solving puzzles and engaging in battles with the aid of (virtual) dice rolls to determine outcomes. That's the general idea. We'll explain more during each group's Session 0 (more on that below). However, you are plenty welcome to ask questions in advance in this thread.

To participate you will need an account on Discord and Roll20. (Both are free!)

Note: While we understand talking out loud during a TTRPG can feel a bit awkward at first, especially if you're someone who is really trying to get into character, you will need to be able to participate vocally in a Discord call to join. We have come to notice playing through text slows down the gameplay a lot and isn't really practical when you're on a time crunch. But don't worry, we're all fun and friendly people!

The Story

The world is in chaos and threatening to crumble down around its inhabitants. A dangerous foe is laying siege to the everything, determined to see everything come to an end. The conflict is reaching a head and while the world's defenders have made much progress, it looks like they will fall just short of the finish line. But Celebi has a plan - one last attempt to seal the deal and protect everyone. Celebi has reached through time itself to summon forth heroes of the past and future to save the present.

That's where you come in! You are one of these mighty heroes brought to the present from another time. The world's final hope. Your task is simple, but far from easy. You must reach and enter Paradox Tower, ascend to the top and defeat the legendary powers seeking to bring everything to ruin.

Available Player Pokémon

As a player, you can choose one of the fourteen Pokémon below to be your character's species. Of course, just about everything else about them - personality, history, etc - is up to you. We ask that you let us know which of these Pokémon you plan to play as on the 17th at the latest so we can arrange a selection of moves for you to choose during the character creation session (I promise, I'm getting to that). But first, the Pokémon you can choose:

Scheduling

We will be running this game for three groups, each having two sessions over the course of the GT. During week one, we will have a character creation session. This is the session where rather than play the game, we will explain how the system works to you in a little more detail, introduce you to your character sheets and help you actually create your adventuring Pokémon ready for adventure. Then, the next week, you will actually play the game. Each time slot is listed below.

- Friday August 18, 6:00pm EST (Group A - Character creation)
    - Saturday August 19, 10:00am EST (Group B - Character creation)
    - Sunday August 20, 4:00am EST (Group C - Character creation)
    - Friday August 25, 6:00pm EST (Group A - Game session)
    - Saturday August 26, 10:00am EST (Group B - Game session)
    - Sunday August 27, 4:00am EST (Group C - Game session)

Groups A and B will be run by me while group C will be run by Lycanthropy. We're aiming to have 3-5 players for each game, but if we end up with more than that for any of them we'll see what we can do. Character creation is expected to last an hour or so while the actual game session will last 3-4 hours, so keep that in mind when you sign-up.

This is a helpful tool for converting the above timezones to your own.

This is a collaborative game, so there's isn't really any way for any one team to do better than the other here. Instead, we'll be giving 25 participation points to everyone who participates in both their Session 0 and the game itself. Essentially, the more of you that join the fun, the more points you'll earn for your team.

Players

Back