• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: POCKET MONSTERS SCALE X FANG (DEMO v1.0.2)

Max Elixir

PP Max
Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Your posts are disrespectful to the time of people who had to read them. You know nothing of game design, no matter how many times you sprinkle those words or "QOL" into your ramblings to sound smarter. You just want the path of least resistance and you're going to pout until people bend to you. There are many like you, and your flailings aren't really unique or valuable. 11 years of experience playing pokemon hacks and fangames doesn't mean you know what makes a pokemon game good. If anything, that being the experience you want to tout is a better indicator that you don't know what makes a good video game at all.

HamishS

LOVE EVERYONE
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    I am indeed pushed away by the lack of speedup. Wanna know why? Because training mons at a painfully slow pace is nothing short of disrespectful to the time of the players. Wondered why SWSH showers you with exp candies? SV implementing auto battles? Simple, convenience in grinding, and that's what speedup is in gba rom hacks..
    This grievance has been addressed countless times and yet you keep yapping about it

Years
  • Try setting the speed to 1x, should fix the problem right up!

No. I prefer playing with speedup, up to 4x or 6x or something, and this is also why I do not play fangames. And, this is called criticism, and criticism ≠ personal attack, and criticising a romhack ≠ having a tantrum. I am done here.

Years
  • But the higher leveled mons need more experience to level up, so the lower level mons will eventually catch up.

You can also use the new mons against Trainers, which often have weak Pokémon or ones with glaring weaknesses.

You don't have to use the mon in battles where it will be easily defeated.

Experience is wasted when you let your mons faint, like I said it comes down to carefully making sure your team members aren't defeated easily.

Good thing that this game isn't Unbound or Radical Red and isn't trying to be. The game is challenging, yes, because the bulk of it focuses on resource management and getting through long areas whilst tending to your team carefully. It's not a game that focuses on ultra-hard boss battles like Unbound or Radical Red.

I've also noticed a lot of bad faith criticism coming from people that haven't played the game and only comment on the anti-speedup. I don't really care if those people don't want to play the game, because I'm not trying to appeal to everyone. Instead of wanting the game to adapt to you, perhaps you should adapt your playstyle to the game.

1. Yes, but the lower leveled mon will defo be useless in a long time, instead of being instantly usable if you grinded it.
    2. You tell me to use the new mons against trainers, while at the same time not to use them in battles which are they easily defeated. And guess what, those fights are trainer battles which are the exp cows which is standard for Pokemon games. Which means the only way to level them up as efficiently and as fast as possible is by switch training, which is dumb.
    3. Calling the game challenging is an insult to difficult hacks as a whole, Reborn is known for being a resource bitch to players and going through very long areas and it doesn't seem challenging at all.

Years
  • Your posts are disrespectful to the time of people who had to read them. You know nothing of game design, no matter how many times you sprinkle those words or "QOL" into your ramblings to sound smarter. You just want the path of least resistance and you're going to pout until people bend to you. There are many like you, and your flailings aren't really unique or valuable. 11 years of experience playing pokemon hacks and fangames doesn't mean you know what makes a pokemon game good. If anything, that being the experience you want to tout is a better indicator that you don't know what makes a good video game at all.

So what is good game design for you? Forcing the players to play the game that way you guys want? At that point, maybe you should just delete this game and play it for yourselves, as it only caters to you and the normies of the rom hacking community. Say why do we have nuzlocke challenges, mono-runs, no exp runs in Pokemon nowadays? Isn't that because people are allowed to play the game they want? I'm a casual when it comes to challenge runs so I play normally like any other people. But imagine if the games forced me to play a nuzlocke against my will. Would I like that? Would anyone like that? Of course I won't and its actually what you guys are doing hence there is literally no one significant playing your game right now despite being released for almost 3 days. Other than my complaints, what does this thread have? Yes, people complaining about why is there no speed-up. Wanna know why? Because they want to play the game the way they want, yet you have the audacity to call me that I want people to bend to my wishes, yet aren't you people the same? You're practically forcing us to play the game in a specific way because like ocean said, maybe I should try to adapt instead of the game adapting to me. Which is borderline wrong, it's like you're telling me to play Need For Speed in all stock cars despite me wanting an upgraded car to finish the game. So is a good game design for you is a game design that employs inconvenience? If so, maybe you should wake up, we aren't in 2012 anymore, its already 2022, and QoL and convenience is a must. So 11 years of experience is invaluable huh, say that to the people who have a job experience of the same year and you will be on the receiving end of the biggest middle finger that you'll get in your life.

Assuming you're part of the dev team, I'm absolutely baffled on how you treat your fans who genuinely cares about your game. You guys are the one who is basically forcing us to bow down and play in a way that you guys would be the only one who'd prefer to play it that way. I'm done here.

Enjoy being the shittiest fakemon hack of all time in the rom hacking community of Pokemon as a whole.

HamishS

LOVE EVERYONE
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2023
    Assuming you're part of the dev team, I'm absolutely baffled on how you treat your fans who genuinely cares about your game. You guys are the one who is basically forcing us to bow down and play in a way that you guys would be the only one who'd prefer to play it that way. I'm done here.
    It's our game and our vision, not yours. If you don't like it, don't play it.

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    So what is good game design for you? Forcing the players to play the game that way you guys want? At that point, maybe you should just delete this game and play it for yourselves, as it only caters to you and the normies of the rom hacking community.
    A game having rules and restrictions on how the player can operate within it is not an unreasonable expectation. I don't know what to tell you. If you think a romhack having even a vague gesture in the direction of not allowing you to alter play with an entirely external element like emulator speedup is "bad design", you probably are beyond help. No idea who you're talking about when you refer to "the normies of the romhacking community," but I sure hope you aren't sincerely suggesting you're part of some elite and enlightened core group that really knows their stuff, as you definitely lack the sense to engage intelligently on really much of anything at all. Much less your purported area of expertise, which is Pokemon fangames, where you're hopelessly incapable.

Say why do we have nuzlocke challenges, mono-runs, no exp runs in Pokemon nowadays? Isn't that because people are allowed to play the game they want? I'm a casual when it comes to challenge runs so I play normally like any other people. But imagine if the games forced me to play a nuzlocke against my will. Would I like that? Would anyone like that? Of course I won't and its actually what you guys are doing[...]
    If a game forced you to play a nuzlocke as part of how a game is designed to be played, that is well within their right and you should probably not act so entitled to anything different. You seem so desperate to be a champion of game design but are wholly unwilling to respect a creator's vision for what a game is even supposed to be when you are personally inconvenienced, so you're kind of a fraud.

[...] hence there is literally no one significant playing your game right now despite being released for almost 3 days.
    I am not a Scale x Fang developer. Additionally, the merits a game has are not decided by how many pointless youtubers you get your opinions from have played it.

Other than my complaints, what does this thread have? Yes, people complaining about why is there no speed-up. Wanna know why? Because they want to play the game the way they want, yet you have the audacity to call me that I want people to bend to my wishes, yet aren't you people the same? You're practically forcing us to play the game in a specific way because like ocean said, maybe I should try to adapt instead of the game adapting to me. Which is borderline wrong, it's like you're telling me to play Need For Speed in all stock cars despite me wanting an upgraded car to finish the game.
    Need For Speed does not have deliberate game design decisions in place preventing you from upgrading your cars. Because the developers want you to be able to upgrade your cars. The Scale x Fang developers do not want you to be able to use emulator speedup, and that too is an equally valid design decision.

So is a good game design for you is a game design that employs inconvenience? If so, maybe you should wake up, we aren't in 2012 anymore, its already 2022, and QoL and convenience is a must. So 11 years of experience is invaluable huh, say that to the people who have a job experience of the same year and you will be on the receiving end of the biggest middle finger that you'll get in your life.
    You don't even know what "game design" or "quality of life" mean, just like you don't know what the word "invaluable" means.

Enjoy being the ****tiest fakemon hack of all time in the rom hacking community of Pokemon as a whole.
    I'm not a part of the dev team, and you aren't a fan who genuinely cares about or would ever care about this game. You're just a baby crying because you can't have things your way and never were anything more. It's extremely evident by the fact that you are defaulting to calling this "the ****tiest fakemon hack of all time in the romhacking community of Pokemon as a whole." Reminder, the only reason you feel this way is because a game asked you not to use emulator speedup and to just play the game like a normal person. You know next to nothing about the game itself, just that it didn't let you use speedup. And you really, really wanna, ok?

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    RenElite said:
    Speed up is not the only reason. And if you think grinding is fun, then have fun being an idiot and not everyone has the same amount of time as you. Talk to me again when you already stopped (stand-in for "white knighting" off-color enough to get the post deleted). Also its so funny that you assume that its just me wanting speed up the game, when everyone else literally wants the same thing.

This particular vitriol strikes me as pretty uncalled for (EDIT: it clearly was) and more importantly, totally irrelevant if you have problems with the game beyond your inability to use emulator speedup. Unusual that your only arguments seem to be that "everyone" wants speedup and surely already agrees with you, and not any real grievances with how the game is designed. Curious, even.

Also next time you declare in a huff that you're "done here" don't come back an hour later to sling vulgarities at somebody. It's what the kids call "a bad look," I think.

Last edited:

manta

★★★★★
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2024
    Demo v1.0.2
    Not all the bugs reported are fixed yet, but this is a quick release to fix encounter rates and make Repels available earlier. The link is in the main post.
    Happy new year everyone.

Changelog:
    v1.0.2 (2023.01.01)
    - Mystroll, Gigantroll moveset changes
    - Fix Mama Judy healing bug
    - Encounter rates lowered throughout the game
    - Repels now buyable at the Pokémon Center after first visit to Mellow Meadow completed
    - Revives now buyable at the Pokémon Center after visit to City Sewers completed
    - Fix collision of flower in Valenta City
    - Fix collision of cliff in Mellow Meadow (south)
    - Fix visible border in Topglace Tundra
    - Fix incorrect Swimmer sprite on sunbed at Lockshore Beach

Skeli

Lord of the Rings
    Years
  • YOU'RE anti speed-up? Last time I checked, Skeli was the one who did this code, imagine having the audacity to claim that its yours despite being not. Him specifically told me how to bypass this questionable game design decision, which btw, can be avoided if you guys just implemented a quest log. It's funny that ocean questioned a poster about not knowing what an RPG is, yet he seems to be the one not in the know as quest logs are implemented for people who just want the gameplay in RPGs, and not care about the story and dialogue, which is funnily enough is not even that good.
    Hey, I just guessed it worked like my joke POC from a while ago that had one glaring flaw. I don't need credit for this 🙈

---------------------------------

But just a general suggestion for the game: add (optional) auto-run. The moped is great for moving around quickly once you get it, but until that point, you're stuck holding a button to run. Most players if forced to hold a button anyway would prefer to hold the fast-forward button to move faster.

From my understanding, most people use the speedup feature because of how slow the gen 3 engine/battles are, not to blow through story that they are unfamiliar with.
    This is something that actually is very easy to implement for battles only. All you have to do is activate the anti-speedup when gMain.inBattle is false. This allows people to still explore the overworld at the intended speed while being able to get through battles much quicker.

Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2024
    I think all romhack developers should take note of RenElite's comments earlier in the thread. Very illustrative of what you will have to deal with if you release something outside of the norm.
    I enjoy the resource management direction the devs are taking the game and think it is pretty bold. The big appeal of Pokemon to me is the adventure you have, giant routes and attrition should be as dangerous as enemy trainers. Good stuff.
    We should also remember that speedup is not a stock feature in any Pokemon game and you are not getting the intended experience in any way. From a dev point of view it is absolutely flabbergasting (maybe I should say flabberghastlying?) and nonsensical to equate using speedup (which absolutely demolishes the user's chance of enjoying the music, scenery and overworld design) to self-imposed challenges like Nuzlocking.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey all! It is all good to have a discussion about playability concerns a hack might have, but the line is drawn when it isn't constructive and resorts to people using inappropriate, loaded language or personal attacks. The validity of the criticisms aside, that weakens arguments in the eyes of many and attracts a lot of calls for moderator attention, which I just woke up to.

Curb the language, do it constructively, don't use dark memes and ableist/homophobic/etc. language, and maybe demonstrate you've played the hack in goodwill to show you've got the chops for what you're talking about (else why are you in this thread?) Any further discussions and retorts in poor faith will lead to some more deleted posts and infractions.

For those who want to really want drag on the discussion of anti-speedup code, you're most welcome to start a thread in Fan Games Hub. Let's focus less on that discussion in here. (And also in good faith, please.)

Last edited:

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Hey all! It is all good to have a discussion about playability concerns a hack might have, but the line is drawn when it isn't constructive and resorts to people using inappropriate, loaded language. The validity of the criticisms aside, that weakens arguments in the eyes of many and attracts a lot of calls for moderator attention, which I just woke up to.

would you be willing to unhide the posts quoting the deleted posts under condition that the users in question purge the offending content from the quote boxes and the topic isn't dragged out further?

Years
  • would you be willing to unhide the posts quoting the deleted posts under condition that the users in question purge the offending content from the quote boxes and the topic isn't dragged out further?

I'll have to unhide them for any edits to be done, so PM me when you're ready to (or PM the posts you'd like the quote removal edits done to.)

Years
  • Is this playable on pc? I am not turned off from no speed up as I don't use it, but I don't want to get into that mess. I just don't want to patch a rom just to not be able to play it.

rwbonesy

Dogulus Rift
    Years
  • It seems so if you use mGBA and not VBA as per the original post.
    I don't see any problem regarding discussion of feature removal as long as it's constructive. Unfortunately I am not a moderator and I feel that certain rogue elements have poisoned the well and now I can't posit my point on why trying to block an emulator's features is ridiculous. All the developer had to do was discourage its use.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    From what i played, the game's just... okay, if not painfully slow at certain times. Grinding feels like forever though, depending if you're open to suggestions or not,
    You probably need a lot of time to develop either faster grinding or anything else to make it up with the lack of QoL.
    Well, one thing i might add is the menu system looks too simplified, that the options menu were kinda ambigous of what is the purpose should it be needed.

The second one i might address is the intro of the game ( that one moment where your character gets their Pokémon ) seems had too much of an information dump ; the walls of texts that runs slow might turn off the story for some people. My suggestion is use another button to make the text appear instantly, while the intended buttons will run the text speed as-is.

Also, for the main character itself ; are they that one type of character that feels cocky and arrogant until at certain point they got humbled or something ? Because from the intro and some of their interactions, i feel they're come off as that thing i described.

Last edited:

Max Elixir

PP Max
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Grinding feels like forever though, depending if you're open to suggestions or not,
    You probably need a lot of time to develop either faster grinding or anything else to make it up with the lack of QoL.
    Have you tried not grinding?

Back