• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Tutoring Program

heLLkitsune

There's nothing for me here...
    Years
    I sign up for the STUDENT POSITION

PokéCommnity Server Username(s): heLLkitsune
    Time Zone: +1
    How active are you? [NOTE: "Active enough to do this" is NOT an acceptable answer.]: I'm online like... 2 hours a day, sometimes even more
    Is there anything you want us to know about you? [optional] I like Ninetails :D.
    What experience do you have playing Pokémon competitively? I've been on Shoddy for 3 months now.
    What do you feel like you need to improve on to become a good battler? I'd like to improve my judgemental skills (prediction), my team building and EV spread skills and my knowledge about the Metagame, also, I'd like to improve my skills in the NU/UU tiers.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Only tutor applications are allowed to be posted from now on. Any student applications will be deleted.

We have enough student applications, but we want 2 more tutor applications before we close registration entirely and select the participants. Thanks for all of the support!

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Okay then... :<

TUTOR

PokéCommnity Server Username(s): Wolflare

Time Zone: GMT [-5] (or -4 for DST)

How active are you? [NOTE: "Active enough to do this" is NOT an acceptable answer.]: Usually between 1/2 PM - 12 PM for school hours, and it depends on how much I have to do. I am able to change my schedule around since I'm homeschooled. 11 AM - 12 PM for weekends, logging off every once and a while.

What makes you qualified to be a tutor? In other words, why should we choose you?

I have been battling for over a year now and I feel that I know a good amount of battling enough to apply to be a tutor. I understand the metagame by a good extent through learning from Smogon and here. I love to help other members with their teams, from displaying threats and how to fix the team to where the team can handle its threats to fixing EVs to where it does not waste any in a certain stat when it can be added to a different stat while still accomplishing the same goal. S&M has been my favorite forum in PC and the most active one I have been in, while Smogon being a side forum I visit often. I spend a lot of my time battling and/or learning whenever I have the chance to, mainly because it has been a huge interest of mine.

What do you consider to be your specialty when it comes to competitive Pokémon?

Definitely customizing movesets, I am able to to spot threats that the Pokemon will encounter when sweeping/stalling and fix the moveset to where the threat can be handled to some degree without losing its efficiency. I can also change the EVs to outspeed Pokemon that can outrun and KO/cripple it without wasting 24 EVs or so when those can be added to another stat. (But, is that even special lol?) I can teach the basics of battling and prediction as well.

Valarauca

I > U for all real values of U
    Years
    I take it you need wifi to participate D:

No you would need shoddy battle which means you have to have a computer and a internet connection which since your posting one these forums you have

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    How was my post spam. I wanna know if I made the cut or not.

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Tutor

PokéCommnity Server Username(s): Ooka
    Time Zone: GMT -4
    How active are you?: I'm online every day from 4-8 P.M. usually.
    What makes you qualified to be a tutor? In other words, why should we choose you?: Well, I've been battling for about 3 years now, and take pride in the fact that I was one of the original members. I tend to battle on a slightly differentiated side of Pokemon, but I still keep basic concepts in mind, and know the current metagame and the workings of it.
    What do you consider to be your specialty when it comes to competitive Pokémon?: Well, I like to think that I know a good move when I see one, so I suppose I'd call that, good direction when actually in battle (As well as prediction)? I also know what I'm doing when constructing a team, as in, getting good synergy.

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    I didn't see Ooka's post. Anyway, we will make our decision and post it soon. Until then, this thread is locked.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    We've selected the participants!

Tutors

1. Dark Azelf
    2. Anti
    3. Britney Spears
    4. Jake♫
    5. Aurafire
    6. Wolf.

Students

1. Vrai
    2. .Aero
    3. Skip Shot
    4. natedogg
    5. ƒαstεr thαŋ α bullεt
    6. yankee0724

The tutor-students pairs (as determined by random draw) are as follows.

Dark Azelf / .Aero
    Anti / ƒαstεr thαŋ α bullεt
    Britney Spears / natedogg
    Jake♫ / yankee0724
    Aurafire / Skip Shot
    Wolf. / Vrai

We'll hammer out the details of how we'll proceed soon. Until then, get in contact with your student/tutor and get ready to begin!

Oh, almost forgot. If you didn't make it, feel free to PM me if you want to know why, since there was a reason for every selection. Some of the snubs can be explained by this:

First Post said:
    Also, if you are an established member of the community, we urge you not to sign up as a student, as the purpose of this project is to increase activity.

In general though, these were actually very hard to choose, which is why it took so long!

ABYAY

Advancing the Yarzan species
    Years
    I'd just like to wish good luck to the tutors and students on a great path of success. This could be a very big thing for this forum, increasing the reputation of this forums and above all, make an impact in the world of Shoddy.

But anyway, happy tutoring, happy learning, enjoy it above all.

How did Wolf become a tutor? He lost to team Vire! lol I joke. Anyway, hope it all goes well.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    Okay guys, sorry about the delay. We can at last get this under way.

We'll organize classes soon, but first we're going to just do individual tutoring. Since you've all had more than enough time to contact your partner for this, I assume you're all ready to go. How you want to go about individual tutoring is entirely up to each pairing. Tutors can oversee their student's ladder matches and help them or simply help build teams. This is a program that is intended to focus on individual needs, so how you approach individual sessions is entirely up to you guys. Post in this thread with any questions you might have. Get to it!

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    How long do you think till the next round of students can sign up?

Waiting List by any chance?

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    Ah, yes, I'm with zappyspiker here. I'd definately be interested in this if there is going to be a second batch of students/mentors.
    Well, good luck to those who did manage to get in in time =D
    (I really hope this succeeds xD )

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    Well seeing as this one literally just started, you're probably going to be waiting awhile, and possibly for nothing. It really depends on how this test run is going to work, it it does at all (And I'm hoping it does xD).

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    For those who haven't heard, we no longer have "our" server, so this program is going to have to be postponed for now...sort of. Classes are simply impossible without a server, but traditional one on one tutoring is still very possible on Smogon. This program is in fact still going on, but the class element will be gone until we can finally solve our server issues.

Back