• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Acanthite – The GSC Prequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu™

Pika Pika!
Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    As you know many people have quoted on how good your custom Pokémon are so im not going to say the same thing so I was just wandering have you thought up on any new light type attacks'?

DarknessMonkey

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 27, 2009
    Wow, I've been lurking these boards for the longest time and I just thought I'd stop by and post for once.

I remember awhile back when this game was still in FRLG styled tiles, and now it's DP!
    I also remember seeing all your new custom Pokemon (because Fakemon is such an awfully crafted word) and just being so blown away at how amazing this project was.

Now it's looking better than ever and I just wanted to tell you how inspired I am by looking at this game!

(I've probably freaked you out, but it looks really rad.)

Now if only I'd stop sitting around and putting a lot of my ideas to work I could make a game.
    So anyways, awesome game!

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    having read this topic from start to finish I do have some questions left:

1. is anything known about the strenghts and weakenesses of the new types?against which types are they good and bad against?
    2. is they're gonna be a walkthrough anytime soon?I've already seen which new pokes they're gonna be in this game and (purely based on appearance) picked six already I wanna have in my team:-$:P so it'd be darn handy if I knew where to find them.
    3. Are you going to give the new pokemon an own unique cry?

and btw; love the concept, the idea, storyline etc..don't let this project fail it would be a bloody shame!

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    1. earlier was posted a new strength/weaknesses chart
    2. probly not, most fan games/hacks don't have them. besides, if you rely on walkthroughs, then it ruins the gaming experience :P
    3. i don't know

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • The info isn't actually officially published just yet. Still tweaking the Light type. Expect some good stuff over christmas :)

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    The info isn't actually officially published just yet. Still tweaking the Light type. Expect some good stuff over christmas :)

ahhh the maestro himself:):) glad to see you're posting..was getting worried haha:$.
    logically I'd say light is strong against dark..and perhaps ghosts and ground types?
    virus..errr...itself and..bugs?grass?just guessing really:P.
    are you planning of editing the created pokemon or adding new ones btw?really reckon dunsparce could use an evolution just like stantler and absol's pre-evolution looked really cool:o!

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2014
    Features:
    - Over 150 new realistic Realistic...as in how? Following pokemon canon to the dot and sticking to the books (no pure Flying types), 'IRL' real (pokemon look like animals), or what? Pokémon concepts
    - Play as Kamon/Silver, the rival character from Gold and Silver, and uncover his backstory, why he travels to Johto, and why he is the way he is in those games. Why he steals? Uhh, because he's a boy without any parental supervision, so he naturally would steal...no grandiose plot needed for that.
    - Multiple paths through the game in an engaging, character driven storyline: YOU choose how the story unfolds as you play As, in, I can become a Gym leader, quit halfway through, help Rockets steal pokemon, etc.?. Will you choose to do right or wrong? And which is which?
    - 7 different endings, each giving a new twist How can you have seven differing endings and yet end up in the same place (second gen)? VG stories are not thermodynamic state functions...
    - New Pokégear Don't you mean old? This comes BEFORE GSC...

Almost three years Almost GSC, then... had passed since the fall of the once mighty Team Rocket at the hands of an emerging young Pokémon Trainer. The Rocket organisation, once devoted to crime and corruption, vanished without trace Sounds epic, but that can't possibly be true...they wouldn't run without any new recruits somewhere. With Giovanni gone, many a member would quit.. The region of Kanto was at last free from the pollution of their evil and Team Rocket had become little more than a memory.

However, even without the guiding hand of former boss Giovanni, there were whispers among former Rocket members about a revival. In secret, they began to reform under the leadership of Giovanni's ruthless General, Argus Y' know how some names just sound evil? This is one of them.... Feared and respected greatly among his peers, he assumed the mantle of Team Rocket Boss as they planned their comeback During this 'flex period', did the Rockets resume 'normal life'? If so, then surely ex-members would lack dedication and not return and, thus, hold some insider info to the team that the player could tap into at some time...even as small as possible base locations or something. Or passwords...or something not so cliched.. Under his iron will, they were prepared to take the steps they needed to in order to regain the power they once held.

---

In the town of Newbloom Bay[/clichedname], located by the east coast of the Merto region, Kamon was preparing himself for an important expedition. The renowned Professor Willow, a close associate of Kamon's father Connections? Great..., had invited him to accompany her to Sunrise Isle ...Newbloom AND Sunrise? Differentiate it a bit and call it Sunset Isle or (dare I say it?) Twilight Isle.. Willow's friend and study partner Professor Elm claimed to have discovered Pokémon indigenous solely to the island So Elm works closely with her? I wonder what the island has to do with pokemon evolution, Elm's primary focus..., and she was keen to investigate. She and Kamon were due to sail on board her boat, the vessel Serendipity *claps*, to the island in the east.

After gathering his equipment, Kamon went downstairs to find his sister Kiren in the kitchen with her favorite Pokémon, Sympholy. Their father had already set off earlier that day for a conference in Mezereon City. He had close ties to Aspen Corporation Another Devon? and S.U.M. What's the acronym stand for?, the Science Union of Merto, and funded a great many of their research and development projects. "Don't be late," Kiren said, "or the Professor may set off without you!"

The Professor was already aboard Serendipity and was waiting for Kamon. As soon as he arrived, they set off for Sunrise Isle. When they landed, they headed to a research facility where they met Prof. Elm If Elm knew Kamon beforehand, then would not the police's description of him when the starter was stolen make Elm think he knew who it was (the police ask YOU for the guy's name, so Elm obviously did not know)? After all, crimes are usually committed by people who know the person they are harming.... Elm gave them instructions and very soon Kamon and Prof. Willow were in the forest, hunting for the New Fern Pokémon, Frondilo. Willow presented Kamon with a Poké Ball for the first time, explaining that he had to throw it at a Wild Pokémon in order to catch it. Once Frondilo was in their grasp, they proceeded to seek out Kindlejou, the Live Flame Pokémon, and Reptide, the Estuary Pokémon. ..well, at least this is different than the bland 'your professor/parent gives you a choice of three pkmn.

With the three rare Pokémon in tow, Kamon and Willow sailed back to Newbloom Bay and Kamon headed home. As he approached the front door, however, a nasty surprise lay in wait.

Two men dressed in black uniforms with a red "R" on the front emerged from the door, followed by a tall, cold figure, swathed in a black travelling cape Is that a gimmick of all high-up Rockets or just Argus's trademark?. His mane of steel grey hair hung around his cold eyes as he surveyed the shocked figure of Kamon. The man demanded Kamon's name.

"I see... My name? I am Argus." He paused. "I came by hoping that I might find your father here. It has taken us an unfortunately long time to trace him here, and typically he is absent. We have need of his services once again Ahhhh, now this is getting a little interesting.."

Kamon was well aware of his father's old job. Recognising the red "R" on Argus' badge and his henchmen's uniforms, memories of his father's membership of the criminal organisation Team Rocket came flooding back. How could they not? Those years had caused his family so much agony before his father left the Team when they disbanded and Kamon's family fled the Kanto region to start a new life Family? So...if Kamon is not adopted, then he has a mother. How does she fit into things?, a better life. Kamon's father had once been integral to Team Rocket's plans, but he had since vowed to live an honest life, funding beneficial research and partaking in S.U.M. related projects. How could it be that Argus had found them three years later? Unless Giovanni changed his name to something that sounds less Italian, it would not be hard...

"You don't know where he is? A pity. I had hoped you would be far more helpful. Moreso than your dear sister anyway," he added with a sinister grin. "She was rather uncooperative. I am sure she now regrets her decision to stand up to us."

Kamon's fists clenched. "You're thinking of taking me on too, boy?" Argus snarled in a chilling rasp of a voice. "How do you propose to do this without your own Pokémon? You could never hope to challenge me. Stand down before you regret it."

Argus pushed Kamon aside and marched out of Newbloom Bay with his Rocket thugs, calling back to the angry boy he left in his wake, "I should hope our paths never cross again."

As soon as Team Rocket were out of sight, Kamon hurried inside to find his sister weeping in the corner. "Sympholy..." she gasped between heavy sobs. "They... They took her. They hurt her." The realisation then hit the two of them. "Dad." Giovanni turned into a pkmn? Okaaaaay, this is getting weird now...[/donottakeseriously]

Kamon hurried to get his PokéGear from upstairs. He brought it down so that Kiren could call their father who was completely unaware of the danger that would be headed his way. "Dad," Kiren blurted out as soon as he answered. "You need to run. Team Rocket... They were here. Looking for you."

Their father understood. When he fled Team Rocket, he had taken the vital papers on their latest and biggest project, Project GEMININE Gemini...Geminine...something relating to stars 'n' constellations? Cool.... The outcome of this project would have resulted in Team Rocket having an unimaginable and terrifying amount of power Of course., and only he had the research on how to advance Then why did he not hide it or burn it? Does he have some intention of tapping into it himself? I highly believe a man as evil as he would still have evil intentions...complete atonement would be honourable but highly unlikely.. It was vital that he kept these plans away from his former comrades. He at once decided to hide out in the mountains of Merto, leaving his children with a warning to stay safe and to let Professor Willow watch over them. He evidently values the Geminine stuff more than his children...some father he is. See? I told you he was evil...now. If only his wife has photocopies of these manuscripts...

Kiren, however, had different ideas. They set off at once to Professor Willow's house, seeking protection. "Dad told us to come to you for help," Does she know of Giovanni's bleak past? Quite frankly, she'd have to not know lest she end up turning him in for past crimes (he would take the burden for each and every theft and atrocity his men committed). she told the sympathetic Professor as she recounted their tale of Team Rocket's attack. Willow at once took them to Serendipity and allowed them to choose one of the Pokémon that Kamon had helped her catch. "These will be your partners and will allow you to defend yourself should Team Rocket come looking for you." Kamon and Kiren chose their Pokémon and made to head home. What of the third?

Outside, Kiren stopped her brother. "We can't just stand by and let them hunt our Dad. They may be here forever looking for him. What if he can't come home? Kamon, we have to help him." Leaving Newbloom Bay with a Pokémon in tow, they set out to destroy Team Rocket once and protect their father. However, what dark paths might this journey lead them down? What trials and impossible decisions may they have to face in order to reach their goals? You decide. Actually, I bet you decide...unless your seven endings are so remotely unlike each other that any possibility that could be thrown at you is covered.

...could you fill a few of the holes I asked about? I'm sure there is more than this, but I fear another cliched 'take control of the legendary pkmn' approach down the road...

scienceboy

3 Gen Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2011
    actually, most of them aren't really holes ... just things that you're finding in them that you do'nt like :P

Years
    • Age 31
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 11, 2023
    ...could you fill a few of the holes I asked about? I'm sure there is more than this, but I fear another cliched 'take control of the legendary pkmn' approach down the road...

Rofl, what are you doing? Those aren't holes, they're you being picky and at the same time reading it wrong. Well done. =D

Can't wait to find out about these light types, Charlie. Pingas

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • ...could you fill a few of the holes I asked about? I'm sure there is more than this, but I fear another cliched 'take control of the legendary pkmn' approach down the road...

They aren't holes; Fanking is following the conventions of a Pokémon 2D game. You can't ask fro more than that. If it was too different then it wouldn't be a Pokemon game. But I know you'll take that too literally.

I personally think Fanking and the team have done really well with this project. Keep it up.

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • Nobody here can spell FanGking so just call me Charlie XD

If you wish to consider them as holes, sure thing. It's not a perfect plot just yet. I think the only especially valid points you raise are about Elm, who is using his research lab on Sunrise Isle to study evolution within different habitats, and calls Willow as some things he discovered on the island are more suited to her field of interest.

clichedname

Newbloom Bay is a typical name. Cliché perhaps, but it fits in terms of a Pokémon game. Sunrise Isle is so named for being the furthest east point of the Merto region, and it also suits the first real part of your adventure. Your other suggestions don't fit and are the antithesis to what I'm trying to convey.

Realistic...as in how? Following pokemon canon to the dot and sticking to the books (no pure Flying types), 'IRL' real (pokemon look like animals), or what?

By realistic Pokémon, I mean that the designs accurately emulate traditional design aspects. Basically it's hyperbole, to make the game sound good. Which it will be I hope, especially after the redesign process is done.

Why he steals? Uhh, because he's a boy without any parental supervision, so he naturally would steal...no grandiose plot needed for that.

I'd like to think we've made Kamon's story deeper, far more interesting than the basic summary you provide. Circumstances may have once pushed him down that path of evil, but the (non-canon) events of this game are intended to show what actually tips him over the edge.

As, in, I can become a Gym leader, quit halfway through, help Rockets steal pokemon, etc.?

You don't have options like becoming a gym leader, although one idea was to allow you to actually play as the Champion once you gain the title. Joining Team Rocket is in fact a genuine choice, and the missions or alignment you choose at any time influences the direction of the plot.

How can you have seven differing endings and yet end up in the same place (second gen)? VG stories are not thermodynamic state functions...

The seven endings will all result in circumstances that will suitably indicate why Kamon ends up in Johto. Obviously I can't give away too much just now.

Don't you mean old? This comes BEFORE GSC...

By new PokéGear I mean a new interface.

Sounds epic, but that can't possibly be true...they wouldn't run without any new recruits somewhere. With Giovanni gone, many a member would quit..

Nobody has heard word of Team Rocket, so their vanishing is true. It doesn't mean they weren't rebuilding or rallying around Argus or sought out new recruits.

Y' know how some names just sound evil? This is one of them....

I don't know if you were being sarcastic about Argus' name or not.

During this 'flex period', did the Rockets resume 'normal life'? If so, then surely ex-members would lack dedication and not return and, thus, hold some insider info to the team that the player could tap into at some time...even as small as possible base locations or something. Or passwords...or something not so cliched..

Good idea :)

Another Devon?

Aspen Co. is basically the Devon or Silph of the Merto region, yeah. Kamon's daddy funds a lot of research there. Essentially, this company and S.U.M. develop work closely together, such as Project Enigma which makes use of S.U.M. research and Aspen's resources. The answer to your question about S.U.M. was in the clause immediately after ;)

If Elm knew Kamon beforehand, then would not the police's description of him when the starter was stolen make Elm think he knew who it was (the police ask YOU for the guy's name, so Elm obviously did not know)? After all, crimes are usually committed by people who know the person they are harming...

The idea behind Elm not recognising Kamon at first is to be put down to the speed at which the theft takes place, not seeing Kamon properly, how much Kamon has changed mentally and physically, etc, and the fact that he hardly speaks to Kamon when he goes to Sunrise Isle. In the follow up to Acanthite, you will meet Elm again later in the story and he will remember you. Kamon will elect to find Elm's lab when he reaches Johto because it's the only real point of reference that he has.

Argus's trademark?

Argus likes his cloak. Personal thing.

Family? So...if Kamon is not adopted, then he has a mother. How does she fit into things?

You will learn about Kamon's mother who is a very important factor in the story, particularly that which surrounds the conflicting purposes behind Project GEMININE. But this is something I've not mentioned as I don't wish to spoil it so I'll just say that she's one of the more important characters later in the game.

Unless Giovanni changed his name to something that sounds less Italian, it would not be hard...

Giovanni had fled the region to one with no direct, obvious ties to Kanto, their original base of operations of course. Living in a remote town, he wouldn't have expected to be found. We needn't be too picky about something like this, this is just where he is assumed (by us) to have gone after defeat in RBY and he wouldn't have expected TR to come looking for him. I imagine there are more people in the world with this name.

Then why did he not hide it or burn it? Does he have some intention of tapping into it himself? I highly believe a man as evil as he would still have evil intentions...complete atonement would be honourable but highly unlikely.

You will discover why the plans for Project GEMININE were not wholly disposed of. He is however a largely transformed man, at least to the extent that he doesn't wish to associate himself with criminals anymore, hence the running.

He evidently values the Geminine stuff more than his children...some father he is. See? I told you he was evil...now. If only his wife has photocopies of these manuscripts...

TR weren't after his children, they were after him, and the chaos that would ensue if they found him... not good. Willow is on hand to protect the children. Until they scamper off.

Does she know of Giovanni's bleak past? Quite frankly, she'd have to not know lest she end up turning him in for past crimes (he would take the burden for each and every theft and atrocity his men committed).

In Merto, Giovanni was able to escape his past life altogether. New start.

What of the third?

The third stays on the table of course. At least Willow has one Pokémon left to study.

Actually, I bet you decide...unless your seven endings are so remotely unlike each other that any possibility that could be thrown at you is covered.

The seven endings will be interesting enough and your choices dictate how the game will unfold itself, I doubt they'll cover every human possibility though!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    ahhh the maestro himself:):) glad to see you're posting..was getting worried haha:$.
    logically I'd say light is strong against dark..and perhaps ghosts and ground types?
    virus..errr...itself and..bugs?grass?just guessing really:P.
    are you planning of editing the created pokemon or adding new ones btw?really reckon dunsparce could use an evolution just like stantler and absol's pre-evolution looked really cool:o!

hope you got some time to answer this question fanking:)
    also..I'd seriously love to see marowak having an evolved form..something like a shaman with a bonestaff and a big deerskull or a warrior with a big bone club:)

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • Whoops, sorry, I got swept up in Agent Zero's pedantic whirlwind ;)

You've guessed closely on a couple of W/R things. Light is primarily strong against Dark. Virus types are wholly synthetic and are considered to have no strengths or weaknesses. Not fully decided on the whole roster of weaknesses and resistances for Light types.

All the Pokémon are decided now, but they will be edited still in terms of design and art quality. If we do a future game, there'll maybe be room for some nice new evos.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2009
    btw, do you or any other cooperators know what you're gonna do about the evolutions of the likes of machoke, haunter, graveler etc?I mean..this pokes need to be traded in the official games to evolve..will that be history in acanthite(I sure hope so)?

Last edited:

Fangking Omega

Acanthite founder
    Years
  • Hopefully trading will be working fully by the release of the game, shouldn't be an issue.

Making use of pretty tiles by Minorthreat and Alistair along with those by Kyledove, this is the latest Acanthite map to reveal to the public.

I may be opting to replace Elm's research centre with a more aesthetically appropriate building in the very near future (Minorthreat is working on one, it's looking really good). This is actually to test out some trees that Alistair (Don Patch) has made for Acanthite. We have a diverse range of trees that will be used in Merto :)

SunriseIsle.png

Anuhrima

Darkness and Rebirth
    Years
  • Hopefully trading will be working fully by the release of the game, shouldn't be an issue.

Making use of pretty tiles by Minorthreat and Alistair along with those by Kyledove, this is the latest Acanthite map to reveal to the public.

I may be opting to replace Elm's research centre with a more aesthetically appropriate building in the very near future (Minorthreat is working on one, it's looking really good). This is actually to test out some trees that Alistair (Don Patch) has made for Acanthite. We have a diverse range of trees that will be used in Merto :)

SunriseIsle.png
    so you are changing back to frlg tiles

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back