• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Platinum hack: Pokémon Altered Platinum - Sinnohan Forms, Increased Difficulty, and more!

Should I buff defenses to compensate for no EVs? (See post on page 4)

• Total voters

Lithobraker

Practicioner of the fine art of breaking one's fal
Years
  • Beta 1.4.0 was released! This marks the first version which I've actually playtested and tweaked right up to the credits. The postgame has been tested for bugs, courtesy of a postgame save from Dray, but it hasn't been balance-checked yet.
    This version contains a TON of tweaks based on all that I've learned, feedback, and my own testing. It's got the type changes for Sinnohan Togekiss and Torterra, the Lumineon nerf, and so on.
    See the changelog on the OP for full details!

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2022
    Oh, that makes more sense, thank you!
    I'd also like to know where to see the new shiny sprites, if it's not to much of a hassle. Thank you for responding so quickly.

Lithobraker

Years
  • Oh, that makes more sense, thank you!
    I'd also like to know where to see the new shiny sprites, if it's not to much of a hassle. Thank you for responding so quickly.

I don't really have a preview of all the new shinies to show. Maybe it's something I'll do later, but I think I need to take a break for a while!
    I do at least have a list of all the Pokemon that have new shinies. (Not sure if I gave Masquerain one...)
    Spoiler:

Lithobraker

Years
  • Oh, that makes more sense, thank you!

I just put together a preview image for all the recolored shinies and put it in the OP. I also put out a tiny, tiny hotfix that tweaks Igglybuff's shiny palette - the lightest yellow used to still be pink!

Years
    • Seen today
    I've seen some errors in the documentation. According to the docs, the southern part of Route 204 should have wild Taillow. I couldn't find any Taillow there, but instead I found wild Starly. Lass Sarah has a Shinx, while the docs say she should have a Sinnohan Poochyena.

And finally, Youngster Sebastian's Makuhita is spelled as Nakuhita. I know this typo is in the docs for Renegade Platinum as well, but I still think it's worth correcting.

Last edited:

Lithobraker

Years
  • I've seen some errors in the documentation. According to the docs, the southern part of Route 204 should have wild Taillow. I couldn't find any Taillow there, but instead I found wild Starly. Lass Sarah has a Shinx, while the docs say she should have a Sinnohan Poochyena.

And finally, Youngster Sebastian's Makuhita is spelled as Nakuhita. I know this typo is in the docs for Renegade Platinum as well, but I still think it's worth correcting.

Gotcha, these errors will be fixed in the next version.

Years
    • Seen today
    The Galactic Grunt in the Valley Windworks who has a Grimer should have a Sinnohan Paras according to the docs, but he has a Koffing instead.

Lithobraker

Years
  • Update b1.4.2 has been released. This includes some minor fixes, mostly correcting oversights like Accelerock and Vampire Fangs' descriptions, and certain Trainers having the wrong Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'd like to bring up the speed up patch one more time. I mentioned earlier that my game crashed when Bug Bite was used. However, when I turned battle animations off, the crashing didn't happen anymore. The speed up patch can be used just fine, as long as battle animations are turned off.

Therefore, you could add a warning to the OP that applying the speed up patch breaks the battle animations for some moves. At least, until Drayano gives you permission to make a specific speed up patch for this hack.

Lithobraker

Years
  • I'd like to bring up the speed up patch one more time. I mentioned earlier that my game crashed when Bug Bite was used. However, when I turned battle animations off, the crashing didn't happen anymore. The speed up patch can be used just fine, as long as battle animations are turned off.

Therefore, you could add a warning to the OP that applying the speed up patch breaks the battle animations for some moves. At least, until Drayano gives you permission to make a specific speed up patch for this hack.

I'd rather just advise not to use the speed-up patch at all. There's no telling what other kinds of bugs using it could trigger, and I cannot guarantee that any bugs you encounter while using it will be fixable.

Years
    • Seen today
    I've found some more mistakes in the documents. According to the trainer doc, Cheryl has a Feebas when you fight her in Eterna Forest. However, she has a Munchlax instead. Also, the trainer doc says that Munchlax has Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Rain Dance, and Substitute. In the game, her Munchlax has Body Slam. Is Cheryl supposed to have a Feebas or a Munchlax? Also, her Drifloon has Volt Absorb, but the doc says it has Unburden.

Hiker Louis should have a Geodude, a Nosepass, and a Sinnohan Electrike, according to the doc. But instead of a Nosepass, he has a Beldum.

Also, I still can't find wild Taillow on Route 204 (South). I keep finding Starly there. And I'm on version 1.4.2.

Lithobraker

Years
  • I've found some more mistakes in the documents. According to the trainer doc, Cheryl has a Feebas when you fight her in Eterna Forest. However, she has a Munchlax instead. Also, the trainer doc says that Munchlax has Water Pulse, Ice Beam, Rain Dance, and Substitute. In the game, her Munchlax has Body Slam. Is Cheryl supposed to have a Feebas or a Munchlax? Also, her Drifloon has Volt Absorb, but the doc says it has Unburden.

Hiker Louis should have a Geodude, a Nosepass, and a Sinnohan Electrike, according to the doc. But instead of a Nosepass, he has a Beldum.

Also, I still can't find wild Taillow on Route 204 (South). I keep finding Starly there. And I'm on version 1.4.2.

Released update b1.4.3, which should fix the Taillow encounter on Route 204 South properly this time.
    It also fixes the oversights mentioned above, relating to Cheryl and Hiker Louis.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2023
    Rattata does not have its Dark typing. I don't know if Raticate is like this as well

Lithobraker

Years
  • Rattata does not have its Dark typing. I don't know if Raticate is like this as well

Looks like that oversight only affects Rattata. According to my editor, Raticate should be fine.
    I've made a note of this and it'll be fixed in the next version.

Lithobraker

Years
  • I'm currently considering giving all defensive Pokemon buffed defensive stats that will mimic the performance of EV'd defenses against EV'd offenses.
    Essentially, the thing is that EV investment adds more bulk than power, so in a meta without EVs, everything is squishier. This makes defensive Pokemon much less viable.

The problem with this is that this would throw base stat totals way out of whack. For example, to mimic a spread of 252 HP / 252 Defense, Blissey would get these stats:
    Old 255 HP / 10 Atk / 10 Def / 75 SAtk / 135 SDef / 55 Spd / 540 BST
    New 255 HP / 10 Atk / 34 Def / 75 SAtk / 150 SDef / 55 Spd / 579 BST

That bothers me for some reason. Plus, this would mean that Blissey basically also has 252 SpA EVs against opposing defensive Pokemon, so walls are going to hit harder, relatively speaking, than a metagame with EVs.
    Offenses may need to be toned down on defensive Pokemon to compensate.

So my question is: Do you think this would be a good addition?

Edit: Here's an idea. What if instead of buffing defensive Pokemon defensively, I buff the ones that need it in other ways? Give them reliable recovery, more team support options, and better attacking choices, so they don't just become walls of meat that don't do anything and then faint.

Edit 2: Thinking about it more, doing this kind of change would most likely result in a situation like Generation 2, where everything basically had 252 EVs, so everything just ran stall.
    That would probably be worse than no EVs, so I might stick with things as they are now, and just go with the alternative idea.
    I'd close the poll, but... apparently you can't manually close polls on Pokecommunity if you don't set a deadline? Strange.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    Having played through Radical Red a few times without EVs, it's VERY clear that Defensive mons suffer from the lack of EVs. That being said, I think it's fine to leave them alone here because the AI doesn't know to deal with Defensive mons so effectively. Toxic stall, bulky setup, recovery spamming, etc, not at any risk here.

Maybe some tiny buffs, like to Quagsire, it's crazy how it's a decent mon but its stats are mediocre. That's where no EVs kind of hurt it.

Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2022
    is there a specific patch of renegade platnium i have to patch? I used rev 1 platnium, AND a version just before Drayano added the steven fight, and the newest version as well as the oldest version & second newest version of Altered Platnium. Yet it doesn't work.

Lithobraker

Years
  • is there a specific patch of renegade platnium i have to patch? I used rev 1 platnium, AND a version just before Drayano added the steven fight, and the newest version as well as the oldest version & second newest version of Altered Platnium. Yet it doesn't work.

While this is a mod of Renegade Platinum, you need a vanilla Rev 1 Platinum rom to patch it.

Back