• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Citrite Version [Alpha 1.3.1 FINAL EDITION]

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
Hi, are you going to include the Physical/Special split here?
That feature is definitely something that should be present in the beta, if it doesn't turn out near-impossible. Not in the alpha, but I'm nearly 100% positive it'll be somewhere in the beta. It's a really good feature to have. :)

Alexander Nicholi

Years
So, guys. Alpha 1.1.2 is out, but it's not really the focus of this post. No, I have some new for the hack, actually.

Citrite's development is now running on a Git repository hosted for us by the Cave of Origin - so now backups and lost data shouldn't be as much of an issue, among other things.

I'm in talks right now with assembly magician Touched about implementing a peculiar hack of Citrite's intro. If this goes through, at the start of the game you will be able to select your gender and be dropped into the Malachite Metropolis for a pre-nuke event. Afterward you'll be knocked out from the blast, and will wake up in the dark room with Hinkage as is now.

I'd like to hear what you guys' thoughts are on this! I will say that it is an alpha-level feature due to it implementing relevant, main storyline content. So you won't wait 'til the beta for it.

In other news, I've been working a lot on Citrite's storyline in general. I've got a quick ideas list going in my journal, and am working on involving the weather trio in late game with something... special. I won't spoil it. But there's other things still and you'll see those earlier, so... I hope you can wait. :P

Thanks for reading!

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Here's alpha 1.1.3 you guys! Finally, you're out of the stronghold and back into... a wetland? Here's some media. :)

ftEuRfj.png
27jY3iE.png
z9LBCeS.png

My apologies for not being as frequent with the updates as last month. I'm having to regularly switch between operating systems since I can only ROM hack on Windows and I do all of my regular development on Linux. So it's a bit difficult for me to gravitate properly to what I need to pursue, but don't worry. Citrite is still truckin' along. :)

Without much delay (aha), Alpha 1.1.4 is deployed! There's a short encounter of sorts with a special Pokémon... see the video if you'd like:

I'm hoping to, at some point, do a silent playthrough of the hack thus far. I know it may not seem like it, but there is a good amount of content in the game to make for a lengthy play, granted we're not even half done with the alpha. I hope y'all like it! Expect great things to come. :)

EDIT - July 4:
Alpha 1.1.5 is out! There isn't very much new content (though there still is some!) in this release. What this push brings is a slew of bugfixes, some of which are listed below:
  • * Corrected price of Sacred Ash
  • * Fixed tile error in Grand Prairie
  • * Fixed lack of healing place post-abduction!
  • * Fixed text error in Musa Announcement
  • * Fixed movement permission error with shrubs at Musa Stronghold
  • * Fixed movement error in Lo Wetlands
  • – Removed Master Ball (again)

Hopefully this'll keep gameplay a lot more peachy... for now.

Last edited:
Years
View attachment 75978
So, I can't get out of the Musa stronghold? I think I did everything I was supposed to but there's no door lol. I've got 1.1.5 of the alpha. Noticed some small bugs so I've screenshot them below.

View attachment 75979
A few times dialogue runs on and gets cut off. This is in the elderly center in the trading post. It happens in a few other places but I didn't get shots of those.

View attachment 75980
In the Almathea Town Hall, glitched text appears at the end of her speech. The dialogue box goes away like any other though.

I love the game so far and I'm really enjoying it! :)

Alexander Nicholi

Years
With a considerable delay due to me dumping my physical Windows and switching to Arch Linux, Alpha 1.1.6 is out! I got Windows XP going on a VM and got back to hacking again recently, and decided to do a second bugfix patch, which... turned into this release. There should be few, if any, errors... for now, anyway.

View attachment 75978
So, I can't get out of the Musa stronghold? I think I did everything I was supposed to but there's no door lol. I've got 1.1.5 of the alpha. Noticed some small bugs so I've screenshot them below.
What you need to do to get out is, visit the office on the west side of the building. After that, go back down into the B1F where you came from, and there'll be an event. Once you watch that, a mat will be available for you to exit the building. :)

View attachment 75979
A few times dialogue runs on and gets cut off. This is in the elderly center in the trading post. It happens in a few other places but I didn't get shots of those.

View attachment 75980
In the Almathea Town Hall, glitched text appears at the end of her speech. The dialogue box goes away like any other though.
All of those bugs and then some have been fixed in alpha 1.1.6. :)

I love the game so far and I'm really enjoying it! :)
Glad you like it! I've done a second pass through the game to check for bugs and have fixed a lot with this release (see the changelog), and I think 1.1.7 is due to be a feature/content release because of that.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I was going to announce alpha 1.1.7, but I was in the process of producing an accompanying video for it that produced numerous roadblocks.

So, after reinstalling my Windows 7 VM, upgrading my PC's RAM, expanding my swap partition, realigning my partitions and updating my bootloader while accidentally deleting my kernel in the process and having to reinstall it, I have finally got a video for you all! I dare say things are getting better with Citrite's alpha. :)

I hope you guys like what you see, and again, suggestions are always welcome – share your thoughts and ideas! I like hearing not just criticism but also your concept/idea suggestions, since it breathes life into the hack. Thanks again!

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Alpha 1.2 is here!

This alpha brings about the first gym in Citrite, along with a new event with Hinkage and the start of the trek through the Rampart Range. A number of graphical mods have been conducted, the most obvious of which are the palettes for the text box and caret; the colours for the introduction gradients have also been made proper.

OP screenshots are updated, the hack has been cleaned of (hopefully) most of its bugs, so why not take the time now to sit down and play? I can guarantee at least a couple hours of gameplay as-is!

EDIT 21 July:

Here's one of the new maps being featured in the upcoming release:
6WIHdvl.png

Let me know what you guys think!

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Honestly, the videos you've posted make this seem a lot better than I had anticipated. A lot of the scripting looks pretty clever.

But, in that last video you posted... was that some sound corruption I heard?

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Honestly, the videos you've posted make this seem a lot better than I had anticipated. A lot of the scripting looks pretty clever.

But, in that last video you posted... was that some sound corruption I heard?
Unfortunately, it is so. I have been using the freespace proper, however tools like Advance Map ignore even their own configurations at times and carelessly overwrite the wrong data. So it is inevitable, sorry. :/

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Unfortunately, it is so. I have been using the freespace proper, however tools like Advance Map ignore even their own configurations at times and carelessly overwrite the wrong data. So it is inevitable, sorry. :/

It's no big deal. I played the alpha, and it really doesn't detract from the gameplay.

A couple suggestions that I thought of and problems I noticed:
  1. Include more places to heal the team (especially in the Jungle and the Warehouse), backtracking can become quite painful.
  2. The connection between the first town and the jungle got messed up after the script in the town square. Going into a house fixed it.
  3. The boy in the Timothy PokeCenter has no script
  4. The darkness is reset in the Timothy Gym after a battle if you expanded it with the grave earlier
  5. That Gligar is very tough to defeat (it's the multi-hit move and typing which make it tough for poor Meowth)
  6. A couple characters talk about how you'll be "rekt". Please no.

Also, if nobody is supposed to witness that agreement in the Trading Camp, why would they do it in a public place?

Otherwise, the scripting is pretty good! The events in general are pretty cool and a lot of the dialog is very well written.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
A couple suggestions that I thought of and problems I noticed:
Include more places to heal the team (especially in the Jungle and the Warehouse), backtracking can become quite painful.
Yes, I just have to figure out how xD. I don't want to do something lame like randomly putting a Nurse Joy out there, I wanna make sure it "fits."

The connection between the first town and the jungle got messed up after the script in the town square. Going into a house fixed it.
Could you tell me what city that was in, or provide a screenshot?

The boy in the Timothy PokeCenter has no script
Already on the bug list, thanks

The darkness is reset in the Timothy Gym after a battle if you expanded it with the grave earlier
Yes, and also it glitches if you talk to it again. I'll set up a level script with some temp flags to make that work.

That Gligar is very tough to defeat (it's the multi-hit move and typing which make it tough for poor Meowth)
I'll change that around, I didn't think it was that hard. Guess not.

A couple characters talk about how you'll be "rekt". Please no.
;)

Also, if nobody is supposed to witness that agreement in the Trading Camp, why would they do it in a public place?
The guards that end up siezing you cleared the perimeter beforehand, and it's in public to make it appear "legitimate." I know, it's a little bit of a stretch.

Otherwise, the scripting is pretty good! The events in general are pretty cool and a lot of the dialog is very well written.
Thanks! I appreciate your feedback, you can tell we haven't gotten a whole lot. :P

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Maybe for the healing spots you can have a way for the player to "camp out" somewhere or something. One place that I really expected to be able to heal at was that homestead with the truck infront. The dad guy offers to let you rest or something, but you don't actually do it.

As for the glitched up connection, it happened walking up from Amalthea Village to where you first meet Nicholi.

Years
I want to play this on my samsung note tablet 3, but im getting a white screen when ever i patch it with a emerald rom.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
I want to play this on my samsung note tablet 3, but im getting a white screen when ever i patch it with a emerald rom.
Try patching it on your computer, and then putting it on your tablet via dropbox or something. Be sure you get your ROM from... a popular source via Google. I can't suggest where. You could also join the RHM IRC via the link in my signature, and I could help you there.

Alexander Nicholi

Years
Hi there! I've got some updates for y'all.

Finding myself bored with battling (as I'm sure you've been), I decided to beef up battles preliminarily by inventing and partially deploying a brand-new moveset system! This new system will be gradually implemented over time, though you wouldn't notice in game as all available and battleable Pokés will be updated first. So, here are the changes.

First off, all Pokémon will start with a full moveset, and their entire movepool will be brand-new and totally custom. In addition to that, all non-fully-evolved Pokémon will learn moves until the level they evolve, and nothing further; all fully-evolved Pokémon will learn moves until level 70. For those Pokés that don't evolve by level-up, their unevolved stages will learn moves until level 40, and their evolved forms will learn until level 70. Besides all that standard hubub, every Pokémon will have a special "Best Move" that they learn at level 70 – for a sample moveset, see Furret's below:

Spoiler:

Besides that, I've adjusted the wild Pokémon (and added some I totally forgot) to make grinding not a massive chore in this game so far. I've also adjusted some experience speeds of some species you can catch, so expect some (somewhat) less difficult level-ups in-game.

As was already teased days before, we're going to have some new maps for the interior of the Massive Caverns, and a first encounter with a new character... there are more details on ROMHack.me, both on my profile and on Citrite's page.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 5, 2016
How about introducing a 'healing spring' in the forest - a body of water which heals your Pokemon if you approach it or enter it? Would that work?

Back