• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon CrystalDust [v3 PUBLIC ALPHA]

Years
Haha so lucky today had 2 pokemon with pickup in my party first had a rare candy and second a kings rock :D
Finally got a politoed and caught a jynx and got a smoochum from an egg

According to the pokedex i got 3 pokemon left to catch, first is spinarak which is in azalea and ilex forest trees but i got a problem with rest, remoraid is supposed in the route near ice path but i only get magikarps and poliwags with good rod and in wikipedia it says i cant catch them in crystal but in serebii it says i can...
And i cant get a qwilfish can i use old or good rod to catch it or i need a super rod

As for Karens hair her sprite in crystal got white hair but her OW got blonde hair too idk why they did that lol atleast in HG and SS both her sprite and OW got same color
I guess her OW should stay the same to keep it like the original
As for the sprite idk what to say her hair looked white in crystal now its some sort of blue gray in this hack and new games

Unoriginality

Pokemon is a lifestyle. Period
Years
According to the pokedex i got 3 pokemon left to catch, first is spinarak which is in azalea and ilex forest trees but i got a problem with rest, remoraid is supposed in the route near ice path but i only get magikarps and poliwags with good rod and in wikipedia it says i cant catch them in crystal but in serebii it says i can...
And i cant get a qwilfish can i use old or good rod to catch it or i need a super rod

So I cross-checked with a few sites for Remoraid. I think Serebii might actually be wrong. Bulbapedia says you can't catch him there in crystal. And since you can't find him I'm assuming it's true. No Remoraid for Crystal =(.

Qwilfish, on the other hand is on route 32. But the thing is, you need a Super Rod. So we can't get one yet.

Sorry about your luck. But it looks like you only need that Spinarak x)

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
Years
Though I usually try not to make posts while I'm working on a new update, I decided to break tradition and post, since I love you guys. Also the backlog was getting way too long.
Indeed, as far as scripting and under-the-hood coding go, this hack is fantastic.
Thanks!
It's nice to see the FR/LG trees retained at Indigo Plateau, I will say :)
I thought you'd like that. :D
The better logo for CRYSTALDUST in the intro and the new sprite look fantastic! However i'm unsatisfied with the overworlds specifically of Gold, Silver, Kris, and Morty. If i may suggest, maybe you can make them more fr/lg-esque as well sometime? (i seem to notice morty's head looks a bit off); as well as change the spinning icon of the pokegear? and maybe change the sound when someone calls? While I personally believe that Morty's sprite's good as-is and Gold's is okay, Kris and Silver do look kind of strange. I assure you I'd change these sprites if I had a person willing to sprite such amounts of overworlds for me. (There's so many frames that go into making a player sprite!)

To suggest, maybe you can use the gold sprite in MrApt's video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUa914UEKDg&list=PL4DEDD6B9CCF1D6C9 1. I don't like it, 2. It's not in FRLG style, 3. I don't think it's for public use

I'm excited to hear about the Sevii islands quest, just a suggestion tho, maybe you can incorporate the hoenn pokemon there (similar to how fr/lg incorporated johto in its sevii islands). Already in the plans.

Other than that, i like mostly everything that you've done for this, props to shinyquagsire and the spriters. Notably the bags, the day-night system, the revamped crystal intro, the ruins of alph, and I expect to see more of kanto and the sidequest. I apologize if i haven't reported any bugs, i only started playing this new patch. :) Always make sure to report those bugs, and thanks for playing!
Responses in bold.
I wish more people did like you and regularly posted small update patches instead of holding out and only releasing big patches.
I find it more useful to be able to post a bugfix soon after it's reported rather than months after.
uhm, do you guys know where I can get the PokeGear? also, when I started the game and went down from my room, I got into Violet City. am I playing the wrong beta? thanks :)
no, that's the right patch
that happen to me too :D
it happen in every stair that you access
you will teleport into semewhere else
it happen if you play on phone (i'm using vbag)
but if you play in pc its working fine
I need to test this out myself. I feel like I screwed up with the stairs animation somehow...
I just started playing this hack, and so far, it looks great to me! However, there are some bugs with the PokeGear.
These are old issues that I haven't fixed yet due to not having enough knowledge of how the PokéNav's Match Call works.

JohtoTree_zps9d83521f.png

Better trees. I could tone down the detail just a bit if you want (or you're feeling confident sprite-wise you could do it yourself, since I know you can sprite a little). Sorry for looking at your tileset data, just trying to make things more convenient for you.
Thanks for the new tree! I've added it in and I love how it looks! And don't have any qualms over looking at my tileset data; why would I have an issue with that?
Waiting for new update to my favorite hack xD
Soon? Later? Sooner than later? Sometime between now and the heat death of the universe?
I dunno.
This Game have a lot of Potential. I know that is remake of G/S/C. But some further evolutions from Sinnoh is good to add there on 27 empty pleaces <Sinnoh evolutions is 27> FIt perfectly.

There are 25 slots..... And those slots don't have dex entries and can be tough to work with.
On top of the Pokédex entries being a huge hassle, there's many other problems related to having Pokémon from newer games that I don't want to deal with.
OMFG...THIS IS AMAZING! IS THIS FOR GBA? O_O THAT INTRO IS TOTALLYYYY WILDD AND AMAZINGG!!!!
Thanks for your enthusiasm!
alright so i just beat the elite 4 on this game and saw the credits… is there anything else i can do because those two guys are preventing me from going to mt silver and to the next region…

also which legends are you able to catch in this hack… the only one I've encountered is suicune(which i caught with a poke ball). This was a great hack i really enjoyed it and wish there was more.
You can't progress past there for now, sorry. That's the end of the current beta. And Suicune is currently also the only lengendary Pokémon you can encounter.
I'm quite sure you need to get to Olivine City and take the ship to Vermilion City.

Route 22 is blocked off until you have reached Viridian City, and travel to Route 22.

Route 28 and Mt. Silver are only accessible after you've defeated the elite four the second time (higher levels), but in beta 2, it's probably not done yet since Kanto is not completed yet.
None of this is true, as you can't even get the ticket to go to Vermillion in this beta. And the stuff about beating the Elite Four? I don't know where you got that from, but that's not even the way it was in Crystal.
I've started playing the Hack and I have to say that it's amazing!
But there's one thing that bothers me: What's with the trade evolutions? Are they kept in this hack or have they been removed?
The evolutions themselves still work, but you need to figure out a new way to evolve them.
anyways I know how to get Lugia, HO-OH, and Deoxys IF you use game-shark cheats for the Islands.

you have to do it a certain way to be able to return if enough people are interested i will make a YouTube video How to.
Please don't. GameShark codes and hacks are never a good idea. People will start coming up to me with glitches that don't even exist if they start putting in GS codes left and right.
I've found a bug, regarding the battle gameplay capture, not really important and may difficult to fix but anyway here it is...
Even though I liked your explanation on hwo you thought it broke, it's actually much simpler than that: the game is trying to load the indoor battle palette for the battle replay, but I don't have battle palettes for that background for any time other than day (what it always is considered to be indoors). Therefore, the game crashes trying to load an invalid palette. Try playing a battle video outside during the day, when there's no palette changes.
Hello!
I really like the cover of the hack, the truth is pretty good.
I really like that've joined Jhoto and Kanto in one hack,
That makes the hack interesting.

Greetings!
Thanks for commenting!
All the CrystalDust pictures look to be down :(
My bandwidth was eaten up by all my awesome fans! <3
Don't worry, I got some more.
So I just recently got back into Pokémon after a short break. And instead of jumping on the wagon for the more recent generations. I decided to stay in my comfort zone of the first generations. So, after tirelessly playing third gen games and the first gen remakes for the bazillionth time each, I decided I was looking for something to spice up my second gen experience. Besides, of course, using cheats to get cool second gen pokemon. And then HGSS popped into mind but then of course that involves a DS emulator and the games themselves were just kinda.....meh. But then I found this nifty hack. I've been reading this forum for the past three days and I have to say that I'm super psyched. This GSC hack sounds exactly like what I need, and I can plainly see that you're dedicated to making this the absolute best one. Even after all of this time. I'm all ready to play this and join the support of it. Thank you so much!

EDIT: Got addicted just as I thought I would. This hack is amazing. Got up to Claire already and have two things to report.

--Firstly. I had a Slowpoke which I had given a Mystic Water. Then he evolved to Slowbro at level 37. Annnnd his Mystic Water was completely gone. Guess he got thirsty huh? Looking back at the code for that, I seriously goofed on it. I'll have it fixed next update.

--Then I was poking around Route 43 and found an interesting set of tiles. If you go to the left, and keep left until you reach the pond where you can swim across and use cut to get a berry, you'll see that the southern edge of the pond where the water meets the rock, looks a tad strange. I believe I've fixed then accidentally un-fixed this same glitch so much times now, it's ridiculous. Fixed for next update.

That's all for now and I will definitely keep reporting since it seems you actually prefer to know. Again, amazing hack and I hope that mythical third beta takes the stage in the very near future. VERY nice job so far. Keep up the good work. Again, thank you!
Responses in bold.
I found a huge bug.
After you let record a battle of the battle tower to your frontier pass, every script field and level script will be reset!
Your 5000 variables may use the space of frontier pass video.
Now my save became useless and I will not start a new game.

And I don't like the new trees. The way you map the mountains I also don't like, please make a fewer rocks and not so curvy edges. I liked the mountain mapping in FR.
While your reasoning for the glitch you encountered would make sense, that hasn't happened to me so I can't recreate that. And I think I'll do something with the maps for Beta 3.
I got other bugs to report all with newest version while playing on gameboid

After beating lance after credits i teleport here
14llo5c_th.png

Something is seriously wrong with Gameboid and my warps. :S

Wrong description lol
2ij9qp_th.png

Whoops. Fixed for next update.

Weird text on dragon fang
2mhihig.jpg

My bad! Fixed for next update.

Enteis or raikous OW is turning to suicune in this scene (forgot which 1 of the dogs lol sorry)
nv7389_th.png

I wish I could get proper overworld sprites for these, but until then, fixed for next update.

While using bicycle and going to ice tiles that slide there are reflections of players OW created on random non sliding tiles
2s0ie6t.jpg
30wb5m1.jpg
4hw5jb.jpg

Fixed for next update.

No pokemon via surf here or im so unlucky
juif0k.jpg
eq2geb.jpg
'
Fixed for next update.

If i remember right there was a npc in olivine city here in the pokemon center in older versions of the hack and in original crystal but he/she are gone now? or was it in cianwood?
xclwty.jpg

Whoops, I accidentally uncreated a person. :O Fixed for next update.

And some questions

1. Are we gonna get the same items from pickup as with emerald or you plan to change them?
Theres list of all items in you get in emerald in pickups page on wikipedia No plans on changing them at the moment.

2. Are there gonna be any npc that knows that i beaten the league or completed the pokedex or a special event after completing pokedex You mean like the director of Game Freak. Maybe.

3. Can we get a gold star card and is it same way as emerald? league pokedex contest frontier? I might change up the way the different starred cards are obtained.

4. Are the held items on wild pokemon gonna change to what they held in crystal or be kept in emeralds way
A slowpoke had 8% to have a kings rock in crystal for example while in this hack i think it holds nothing I should change that, but it would take too long right now.

And i just saw this dialogue for the first time and it made me wanna play beta 3 lol
whzko3.jpg

Haha! Don't you love dialogue that implies you should be able to get that ticket?

Anyway i caught 102 pokemon caught and i plan to see how more i can get and i got to explore the 4 islands the dark cave and the route below blackthorn city and get all apricorn balls and held items from the siblings to complete the beta and i think i will play in the tower and get a big magikarp for the guy in lake of rage if i get any more bugs i will report here Please do!

Speaking of the magikarp guy how does the script works with how big magikarps are is it same as in crystal and do we get same reward I edited that guy from Emerald that checks how long some other Pokémon is so it uses that algorithm. However, you do get the same prize you would in Crystal.

And is it possible to add a unown pokedex somehow i dont see how it would be inserted in the emeralds pokedex and were it would be located lol Me neither. But it is possible.

Oh and does anything happen if you take a photo of a pokemon in cianwood? Nope.
Responses in bold.
not to sound rude or anything but when i try accesing the eutikrete city pkmn center you cannot heal, or access the mart in the same place , and when i try battling claire or lance the game freezes is there a way to fix this in a future beta release?
What did you do to your poor game? How did you manage to break it that badly?
None of this is present in any hack I've released.
And yeah I figured as much about the Mystic Water. The item consumtption must not be limited to just a Kings Rock and/or just a Slowking instead of Slowbro.
Yeah, something like that.
Actually, I goofed up the way I made the "remove item on evolution" checker; if the Pokémon you're evolving has an evolution of the type "Level up with item", than any evolution will make it take that item.
And a new and i think the last bug for this beta
Got no blackglasses yet but he acts as if he gave them already
2vbkf2b.jpg
It's probably a flag overlap; I'll look into that.
I am using the visual boy advance for windows 7

What I mean is whei play it on the VBA the game freezes when battling either Claire or Lance and when I go into the city with Morty as gym leader's poke center it won't let me heal and going to the mart nothing appears and the screen goes black no actions are available
Maybe you patched it wrong. I truly have no idea.
Great stuff.

I believe I mentioned this before but wasn't clear enough, and this is more cosmetics but the entrance to the sprout tower and tin tower, along with the statues and moving beams shift a little bit too far to the left.

Example below (courtesy of ElitePokes as I am really lazy).

I think it would look better if the moving beams, entrance and statues were moved more to the right, making them centre and symmetrical with the rest of the map.

Examples:

Sprout_Tower_1F_GSC.png

Tin_Tower_1F_GSC.png

Couldn't find remake examples.
Your post gave me an idea on how to fix the maps; thanks!
2 more bugs that i didnt report earlier

Near the end of the credits while pokemon sprites appear the last one is this
a3ea6q.jpg

No clue how that happened. You caught a ???????? somehow?

And i think pokemons hp aint restored after the first battle vs silver im sure it did in earlier betas and crystal
I'll look into that.

As for the gameboid graphical bug here are the 2 times when it happens

On the intro when ditto transforms to mikachu
ixfmfn.jpg

While a pokemon is poisoned if you walk this animation plays
1z4igap.jpg

Those 2 animations miss while i play on gameboid but i can see them on myboy emulator
I guess Gameboid doesn't support the GBA's mosaic function. I can't fix it.

And got a suggestion regarding evolutions, can you change the way how pokemon that evolved via trade evolve to its original way to make it feel more original since most emulators support link even on phones now
Or a key item named link cable or something (similar to red adventures hack) that can evolve haunter, graveler, kadabra, machoke without having the need to lvl up
And rest pokemon like onix to hold metal coat when you use the link cable key item
And make the player have the item in his pocket from the start or get it similar to gb player with 4 words in a mart and have mom call to remind the player to get it incase he didnt like with gb player
Or from TAELA in the second floor of a pokemon center the first time she explains how wireless system works
Well a place where and when you feel it fits best I dunno, that seams kind of cheap.
Responses in bold.
And Diego are you gonna change Karens OW her hair is blonde while in her sprite she got gray blue white or whatever that color is xD
Yeah, I'll probably change her OW or something later.
I got another annoying problem i tried to trade a cyndaquil from a crystaldust to my crystaldust with my boy emulator but i get this when i enter in the trade room
2eehcvd.jpg

I emailed the devs of the emu a while ago they told me this hack doesnt support trading yet Diego here says that we can trade pokemon
I tested 2 emerald roms and trading works fine with my boy so maybe the emu got the bug...
Can anybody with vba try to trade using 2 crystaldust roms and post here if everything works fine that would help a lot
I've tried trading on two real GBAs between CrystalDusts and it worked flawlessly. The devs should stop giving out false claims. Though I wonder why trading wouldn't work specifically with my hack...

Thanks for all the comments, guys! An awesome new update is coming your way sometime before the apocalypse! Hopefully.

Years
@Diegoisawesome do you know what causes the white screen bug? the game works fine on VBA, but I really want to play it in my phone using gpsphone.. there are no options to change the save type to 128k, but other emerald hacks and emerald itself saves as 128k... don't know why the game still shows white screen...

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
@Diegoisawesome do you know what causes the white screen bug? the game works fine on VBA, but I really want to play it in my phone using gpsphone.. there are no options to change the save type to 128k, but other emerald hacks and emerald itself saves as 128k... don't know why the game still shows white screen...

Try playing it with Myboy emulator! Its the best to play gba games on phone! Maybe that'll solve your problem, hope i helped!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Feb 9, 2014
Nice game.
I played the first beta I think.
I played the game out.
I did the Elite 4 for like 5 times.
I cant do anything now.. :( :)

Years
@Diego

About that ??? in credits i dont know all the pokemon i got are normal and i never used any cheat

As for my suggestion on a key item that makes pokemon to evolve i think it would make those evolutions more official and we could get pokemon like alakazam at low lvls without the need to lvl up that much
Or atleast make evolutions as they were before with real trading

And for the npc that knows if im the champ i meant will any npc after the vanilla story is over say in his dialogue that im the champion or i will be the only one who knows im the champ lol
As for pokedex i guess the only event you can make is get the diploma you obtain like in crystal

I found new bugs btw xD

1. Pink Apricorn doesnt dissapear from my pocket after i give one to Kurt

2. Politoed still holds kings rock after i used a rare candy to evolve from poliwhirl

3. At Battle Tower on a multi battle i get this in the 3rd and 4th opponents
dcfxqo.jpg

Also there are 2 more bugs at battle tower a biker guys OW got a sprite of a kimono girl
And the women that you follow in the elevator with nurce costumes dont have walking animations

There must be no reason to post this now but heres 1 more spot where the reflection bug happens just incase
24oaujk.jpg

As for qwilfish and remoraid i give up on them each site i visit gives different info
I still gave it a last shot but i think this image is proof on how bad the hunt did go
2z4ebd5.jpg

Hey atleast i got a shiny magikarp! LOL
29qaxqg.jpg

Since a new release is coming i got no more reason to play now since i always start a new save every time :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Hey, one question:
Is National Dex obtained at any point in the game so that I could trade with Emerald for Hoenn pokemon?
I guess I could just play it and see, but the point is, I want to play it if trading with Emerald is possible. ^^

Unoriginality

Pokemon is a lifestyle. Period
Years
Well now I know why you don't break tradition. I got excited enough to eat my hand when I saw that you posted. But I suppose I can wait for that moment again aha. Anyhow, thanks for replying. Can't wait for a new update now! Not that I could wait before.........but still!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
I tried trading with FireRed and normal Emerald, both of which have national dexes and in FireRed trades with RSE are allowed already. Here are the results:

Emerald: A trade could be started, but when a Hoenn Pokemon was offered a message popped out saying that this Pokemon can't be traded.
FireRed: A trade couldn't be started at all, with the message on CrystalDust side that I can't trade with trainers far away.

At which point in the game can players trade with FR/LG/E without limits? :)

I have to say, though, that this is my favorite 3rd gen GSC remake. It stays true to the originals, unlike ShinyGold and LiquidCrystal which, in my opinion, implemented too many changes. Not to mention I actually didn't like the fact you could catch all or almost all Pokemon in them (I know, I'm probably a weird exception). I was looking for a game that would still encourage you to trade with others, as I like playing with my friends (that's also the reason I want to be able to trade with E/FR/LG so badly).
Oh, yes, and a Battle Tower is another plus. :) Frankly, even the current lack of Kanto region (I know it will be added in later releases) doesn't bother me much, because it's Johto that's most important in this game. If I want to play Kanto, I can always grab FR/LG after all. :D

Edit: Oh, and out of curiosity - have requirements for obtaining stars on your trainer card been changed from Emerald? Because if not, then I guess the only challenges that can be accomplished are "completing the Hoenn dex" (assuming Hoenn has been switched to Johto) and "Hall of Fame".

Last edited:
Years
As of now only the star for beating the league can be obtained and others will most likely be on the next betas and maybe the way you obtain them will be changed

Cant help you with trades since i cant trade on phone (i will email my boy devs again xD) my guess is you cant get any gen 3 in this hack untill you get to sevii islands

Get an Android or use some other emu for failOS

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
While I don't really care much about trainer stars (they're only cosmetic after all), I really hope there is a way to allow trading for 3rd gen pokes in the current version. :(

I tried Emerald gameshark code for national pokedex, but I guess the game has been modified too heavily, because it doesn't work. :P

Years
Well now I know why you don't break tradition. I got excited enough to eat my hand when I saw that you posted. But I suppose I can wait for that moment again aha. Anyhow, thanks for replying. Can't wait for a new update now! Not that I could wait before.........but still!

Remember to keep 1 hand because you will need it to play beta 3
But i dont think there will be any beta 3 since anybody linked to Valve somehow forget to count to 3 :(
xD

While I don't really care much about trainer stars (they're only cosmetic after all), I really hope there is a way to allow trading for 3rd gen pokes in the current version. :(

I tried Emerald gameshark code for national pokedex, but I guess the game has been modified too heavily, because it doesn't work. :P

I had gen 3 pokemon which i found from a glitch that was fixed long time ago
Try a cheat to obtain any pokemon in the wild?
Or wait for sevii islands lol

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Well, or I might attempt to make a temporary fix for myself while waiting for a new beta to be released. ^^
I don't know what exactly causes the national dex gameshark cheat (and national dex at the start option in Randomizer) to fail, though.
If it's only due to the fact that the order of pokemon in regional Pokedex has been changed, then it would be easy to do (by reverting the numeration changes and using a randomizer on the game to get a player a national dex at the start). I don't know if that would work, however, plus I'm not sure Diego would have no objections. :(

While I am at it, I could actually also add Lugia and Ho-Oh, because from what I've read, they're still not implemented? It looks like something easy enough to do - after all, the events are already in-game, one just needs to copy them from Naval Rock maps to their respective Johto locations.

But as I said, I don't want to modify Diego's game without his permission. :p

Years
  • Seen Nov 14, 2014
While your reasoning for the glitch you encountered would make sense, that hasn't happened to me so I can't recreate that. And I think I'll do something with the maps for Beta 3.

I am really sure that the bug appeared after I recorded a battle in the multi room of the battle tower. Now I can activate every script again like the rival appears at the olivine gym or the level script in elms lab or the ill miltank. The only reason could be that the values of your 5000 variables are stored in the same space of the battle frontier record. I was wondering why you need extra variables when there are so many 4000 variables. I know it because I also hack emerald. You have done very cool hacking stuff, asm i.e. but I expect more of you because I know you can do it better. Keep on working.

All in all the variable reset destroyed my save file.

At all other guys:

Don't record a battle in the battle tower!!!

There are some other points I want to tell you:

- The Overworld of the red Gyarados looks awful. It even has not a frame for side calling.
Please fix that.

- The GSC music is my favourite so I am even more upset that the music in your hack is sometimes not good remixed. The worsest I think is the wild Johto Pokémon theme. I hope you find better remixes.

- At Cherrygrove City pokécenter, on the right side are these small trees. That look bad. I know there is only one tile left but please change it. That also appers at pokécenter at union cave.

Last edited:

Aj Harold

The champ
Years
Goo hack and i have heared about your scripting skills bro, good way to bring the Second gen Crystal into gen 3 with pokemon Emerald!

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 25, 2019
Hi, I just wanna know something, are you going to put the GS Ball/Celebi event on the hack or something like it? It's because I hate the original American Crystal doesn't have it, it's one of the best parts.

Anyway, great job indeed, I am waiting for the next releases ^^

Back