• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Emerald++

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    epp title screen.png

Introducing: Pokémon Emerald++
    Emerald++ is my first ever ROM hack based on the pokeemerald decomp. Thanks to everyone who contributes to it (and the expansion)! I couldn't have done this without that foundation. I started this ROM hack back in August as a fun way to learn the ins-and-outs of the decomp and idea after idea snowballed it into a full project. Is it unique? ...probably not, I'm sure there's tons and tons of "Emerald but better/modern" hacks out there, but I honestly didn't even know about them until I was well into this project. My hope is that, even though this may not stand out as unique, it will still be a fun "modded" Emerald experience. I hope you enjoy!

Features:
    • All Pokémon through Gen VII available​
    • Most everything in the Expansion Branch (credit: rh-hideout)
    • Every Pokémon can follow you! (with the option to toggle in the party menu) (credit: W1serV1ser + me)​
    • HMs are now regular moves and have been replaced with items (credit: NobodySociety)
    • Register up to 4 key items like in ORAS! (credit: Aarant)
    • EXP Share for all Pokémon to reduce grinding (toggleable)​
    • Sort the bag (credit: Ghoulslash)
    • Day/Night cycle based on RTC (credit: NotToDisturb)
    • Multiple concurrent legendary roamers - RoamersPlus (credit: DarkDown)
    • Updated trainer AI, only slightly more difficult than vanilla​
    • Pokémon will evolve mid-battle​
    • Increased Bag capacity​
    • More premier balls when buying any type of pokeball​
    • Shiny Charm available post-dex completion​
    • Dynamic trainer level for more challenging fights​
    • All legendary Pokémon available to catch! (Some are available from the start, others after beating the game, others still after certain post-game milestones are hit) - Includes all event Pokémon that you couldn't get as a kid​
    • All trainers have updated parties, items, and abilities. Notable battles have been changed to be more difficult and fleshed out​

Special Features:
    • Box space increased to 18 boxes, 540 total capacity (credit: cfmnephrite)
    • Poképedia, the Pokémon encyclopedia available in your room to help you find legendary Pokémon if you get stuck​
    • Wonder Trade Station! Completely random wonder trade available at the Battle Frontier​
    • Birch's Fossil Machine, a new machine found in Birch's lab to instantly revive all fossils you may find on your journey​
    • Expanded Lilycove Department Store​
    • New item: Forever Candy, the infinite rare candy to reduce the need to grind after beating the game​
    • New item: Form Changer, to change many Pokémons forms if certain items are missed or unavailable​

QOL Features:
    • Run inside and (almost) everywhere from the very beginning​
    • Reusable TMs​
    • Forgettable HMs​
    • Switch modes on your Bike by pressing R​
    • Nickname any Pokémon whenever from the party menu​
    • Increased overall text speed​
    • Cleanse tag acts as an infinite repel​
    • Heal multiple mons from the party screen, like in newer generations​
    • View IVs and EVs in the Summary Screen by pressing R and L​
    • Hidden Power is not so hidden anymore​
    • Move items between Pokémon​
    • Type effectiveness is shown in battle​
    • Mirage Island appears more frequently​
    • Items go to your PC if the Bag is full​
    • Battle Point shop items are now reasonably attainable​

Known Bugs:

• When a Pokémon follows you and you get on the bike, a few stray pixels appear above the player. This can be fixed by entering a new area or pressing the start menu
    • Some berry tree palettes are incorrect
    • One specific legendary Pokémon event does not make sense if you play as a girl
    • All Pokémon are holding an item whose number matches their pokedex number. Working on fixing this right now.
    • Cannot give or take items from pokemon in your party, also fixing this right now.

Special Thanks:

A special thank you to everyone listed (and many who were not listed but contributed to the simple modifications thread)! I have learned so much since starting this project. There are a few bugs, but I think I'm done working on this for right now. I have other ideas I want to get to (and also art school :D). Truly I wanted to make a game that I'd enjoy playing, and I think I've done just that, so that's enough for me. I hope you enjoy!

Spoiler: Pictures

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    How does the "Dynamic Trainer level" works exactly? Let's say if i have a party with a single Lv1 Pokemon and the other around level 30?
    Also, are there any easy method to farm some gold early on? Kind of getting repeteable nuggets or amulet coin with Thief-KnockOff?

Edit: After playing a bit seem like every Pokemon captured have an held item, that is good, but some pokemon have unusable Items shown as "??????" and i can't sell nor get rid of those items
    I also noticed how is not possible to "give/get/remove" an item from the Pokemon menu as usual, but can only be done from the PC

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    How does the "Dynamic Trainer level" works exactly? Let's say if i have a party with a single Lv1 Pokemon and the other around level 30?
    Also, are there any easy method to farm some gold early on? Kind of getting repeteable nuggets or amulet coin with Thief-KnockOff?

Edit: After playing a bit seem like every Pokemon captured have an held item, that is good, but some pokemon have unusable Items shown as "??????" and i can't sell nor get rid of those items
    I also noticed how is not possible to "give/get/remove" an item from the Pokemon menu as usual, but can only be done from the PC
    Thanks so much for downloading! Dynamic trainer level is a weighted-average of your parties level, but it generally tries to bias the average towards higher level pokemon. For instance, if you had a team of 5 level 1 mons and 1 level 100, the true average would be 17.5, but because it tries to eliminate the extreme outliers, it would really be somewhere in the 90's. No money farm early on that I am aware of, at least none intentionally done.

Yes that's a new bug I discovered last night, still trying to figure out what causes it. Essentially, every pokemon is holding, by default, an item that corresponds to their pokedex entry number. For instance, every bulbasaur is holding a pokeball (item no. 1). I edited the pokemon struct, so I think that has to do with it. I'll post an update when that bug is fixed! As it stands, it makes it look a little buggy and not very fun. Included in this bugfix is the return of the item menu options, since some funky if/else logic removed it by accident. Sorry for the issues!

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Held items are broken and having a full party of 6 breaks the dynamic leveling - it turns all enemies to level 98.

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Held items are broken and having a full party of 6 breaks the dynamic leveling - it turns all enemies to level 98.

Thanks for bearing with me, folks! I've finally fixed the held item issue, the wild pokemon holding every conceivable item issue, and the dynamic leveling issue. The new patch is now listed on the main post. Thanks again for playing! I appreciate the help testing too haha.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • You have me sold with the follower feature. Usually, a lot of the QOL emerald hacks tend to skip out on giving all the Pokemon the following feature. Is there another update on the Horizon, or would you suggest I play the current release? Thanks

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    You have me sold with the follower feature. Usually, a lot of the QOL emerald hacks tend to skip out on giving all the Pokemon the following feature. Is there another update on the Horizon, or would you suggest I play the current release? Thanks
    I'm so glad you like the follower feature! I spent months customizing it with sprites and other things, so I'm glad it's getting some attention haha. No more content updates as of right now. Last night I did push out another update that fixes yet another held item bug, but things should finally be correct. I am working on another project at the moment that should be more unique and fun, so I'm considering this project finished (with the exception of critical bug fixes if required). I hope you enjoy! Thanks for taking the time to check it out.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    ok i'm getting trainer battles early on in the beginning i can't win first try but they are lower level when i go back. nothing i catch holds any item so far

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    ok i'm getting trainer battles early on in the beginning i can't win first try but they are lower level when i go back. nothing i catch holds any item so far
    Pokemon held items are rarer here for wild mons, so that's to be expected. As for the trainer's pokemon changing levels, the average has a slight margin of +-2 levels when the battle starts, so it's possible your party's average level is, say, 14.2. That would round up to 15, then for each pokemon on the enemy trainer's team, it could be anywhere from 13-17, for variety. I hope that explains it clearly! Thanks for trying it out!

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Pokemon held items are rarer here for wild mons, so that's to be expected. As for the trainer's pokemon changing levels, the average has a slight margin of +-2 levels when the battle starts, so it's possible your party's average level is, say, 14.2. That would round up to 15, then for each pokemon on the enemy trainer's team, it could be anywhere from 13-17, for variety. I hope that explains it clearly! Thanks for trying it out!
    i'm seeing opponents with levels 3-4 higher first battle not plus minus 2

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    i'm seeing opponents with levels 3-4 higher first battle not plus minus 2
    I'd have to know your team set up to really determine what it could be, but because others have asked for this feature to be turned down, you can now toggle it via the options menu. By default, it will be turned off. It edits the saveblock, so you may need to start a new save. I hope you enjoy this new version! Download links updated.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    I'd have to know your team set up to really determine what it could be, but because others have asked for this feature to be turned down, you can now toggle it via the options menu. By default, it will be turned off. It edits the saveblock, so you may need to start a new save. I hope you enjoy this new version! Download links updated.
    ah ok will grab the new update thanks

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2024
    Can i use cheat ? and what cheat i can use ? i try emeral original cheat but not working. thank you!

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Can i use cheat ? and what cheat i can use ? i try emeral original cheat but not working. thank you!
    Hi! I have had someone else ask about the use of gameshark codes. To be honest, I've never messed with that before. There are no built in cheats at this moment as it's meant to be played like a regular Emerald game.

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    So hey, I'm playing through it and having a lot of fun. Just wanted to mention a few bugs/oddities I came across:

• A weird bug happened when I was walking from the route east of Mauville back to the city. My follower disappeared despite being turned on and movement permissions started acting weird (I could walk through some walls and wasn't able to walk through some tiles that aren't walls). Then I tried disabling the follower to see what would happen and my character became invisible lol. I had to reset and enter a building to correct it.

• NPCs can literally walk through your follower, but that's a minor thing.

• My game randomly crashed in a black screen after beating Wattson. I reseted and battled him again and it proceeded as normal.

Overall, great job! The evolving mid-battle feature is so cool, I'm doing a playthrough with the twist of having to swap team members after each gym and it's been really fun so far.

Days
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    So hey, I'm playing through it and having a lot of fun. Just wanted to mention a few bugs/oddities I came across:

• A weird bug happened when I was walking from the route east of Mauville back to the city. My follower disappeared despite being turned on and movement permissions started acting weird (I could walk through some walls and wasn't able to walk through some tiles that aren't walls). Then I tried disabling the follower to see what would happen and my character became invisible lol. I had to reset and enter a building to correct it.

• NPCs can literally walk through your follower, but that's a minor thing.

• My game randomly crashed in a black screen after beating Wattson. I reseted and battled him again and it proceeded as normal.

Overall, great job! The evolving mid-battle feature is so cool, I'm doing a playthrough with the twist of having to swap team members after each gym and it's been really fun so far.
    Thank you so much for playing! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've experienced all of the bugs you've mentioned except for the black screen crash. I've been told by someone else that they had a white screen crash after beating Wattson and it was resolved by just resetting. I haven't been able to replicate it on my end, so fixing is a bit of a dead end. There is definitely something fishy going on with followers every now and then, but thankfully "reloading" the map seems to resolve it. I've noticed it happen most when there's many actors on screen. There is also a bug where PP for moves doesn't really run out for some reason. Additionally, moves highlighting as super effective against the opponent sometimes fails to account for dual-typed mons. Overall I'm really happy with the project! There are definitely some bugs in it that make it not the most polished though. Thanks for all the feedback!

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thank you so much for playing! I'm glad you're enjoying it. I've experienced all of the bugs you've mentioned except for the black screen crash. I've been told by someone else that they had a white screen crash after beating Wattson and it was resolved by just resetting. I haven't been able to replicate it on my end, so fixing is a bit of a dead end. There is definitely something fishy going on with followers every now and then, but thankfully "reloading" the map seems to resolve it. I've noticed it happen most when there's many actors on screen. There is also a bug where PP for moves doesn't really run out for some reason. Additionally, moves highlighting as super effective against the opponent sometimes fails to account for dual-typed mons. Overall I'm really happy with the project! There are definitely some bugs in it that make it not the most polished though. Thanks for all the feedback!
    The Wattson bug may be just a emulator issue. The moves highlighting thing doesn't really bothers me. I noticed the PP bug, it actually gets fully restored after each battle (both trainer and wild battles).
    Edit: also the changes you made to Route 119 made Weather Institute skippable (I did so by accident but then went back)

Last edited:
    Back