• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey! I'm going on a trip next month so I'll be starting another Nuzlocke of this, Eternal X this time. I wanted to run a few questions by you though first, partly because of playing through Photonic Sun since the last time I played.

1. For some of the changes you made in PSPM that aren't in this, do you have plans to bring them over for this as well? The first one to come to mind is Ghost/Normal Shuppet and Banette, and I ask because I saw you brought over the buffed Girafarig set (which I love by the way). On a related note I noticed looking through the documentation that some of the EXWY changes aren't in PSPM, like Poison/Dark Arbok, so I was wondering if you have plans to bring those over also.
I probably will bring all the Pokemon changes to both hacks at some point, not sure when that will be though. For some reason I can't recall I didn't want to change megas much in EXWY, so that's why the Banette changes aren't in yet.

2. Is there anywhere in the game to readily get a supply of Ability Capsules? This was really helpful in Photonic Sun for me and just in general I feel like because of the updated abilities you've applied to a lot of Pokemon it'd give players more opportunities to play around with that. In Photonic Sun I actually switched back and forth between Contrary and Strong Jaw Girafarig based on what I needed for a given boss battle, so it strategically helped also.
Yup! Much like PSPM they'll be available in all marts past a certain point, which is after you get your second badge IIRC. That's awesome, I was hoping people would use the Ability Capsules like that.

3. Another item I think would be helpful to have available for purchase somewhere ingame is Honey, with the updated horde encounters with desirable Pokemon such as starters it would definitely be more convenient. I actually did a clause in my previous Nuzlocke where if the horde encounters were sufficiently distinct from the other encounters in an area I could get a horde encounter as well (since in the standard games most horde encounters just yield pre-evolutions of other Pokemon on the route).
The shops are pretty cluttered as is, I'm not sure if I'd be able to find room for Honey anywhere unfortunately. You could always catch something with Sweet Scent instead (maybe use it just for the move and not in battle during a Nuzlocke).

4. I read through the thread to catch up on anything I might've missed and I saw you're considering adding some more TMs in place of less viable ones. I thought I would give you some suggestions of TMs to replace since quite a few options occurred to me when I saw that. TM63 Embargo immediately comes to mind, and I'm definitely in agreement with you about replacing Flash.
Embargo will definitely be getting replaced if I do modify more TMs; that and Flash will likely become Water Pulse or Play Rough and Aura Sphere. There's quite a bit of box checking/unchecking involved in that change though so it won't be until after I'm done with Emerald.

6. I also was wondering about some move updates. Some of the ones that occur to me are ones from PSPM, like the buff to Water Pulse (especially seeing as Mega Blastoise is potentially one of the first Megas the player can use), but a few others that came to mind for me were just little quality-of-life things like buffing Rock Smash (like with Cut it's needed in the overworld so I feel a buff would be helpful). With Rock Smash a buff to 60 base power for Technician users such as Ambipom, Kricketune, and Breloom has actually been on my mind for a little while now. Another idea of mine was that it could be helpful to add in another physical Fairy type move, I'm at a loss as to what could logically be changed to Fairy type but for the likes of Granbull and Belly Drum Slurpuff it could be a great aid. Alternatively an accuracy buff to Play Rough could be similarly helpful.
Yeah those would both be good changes. I could do Rock Smash with the next update, but buffing Water Pulse means rearranging a few level up movesets; if I can come up with a way to do that quickly I'll include it too. Another physical Fairy move would be great but I can't think of a good move to change either.

7. Massive side note but I love Fur Coat being on Pachirisu now, it's one of my favorite Pokemon so I'm definitely hoping to bend the rules of my Nuzlocke a bit so I can use one. :P
Haha, it's still not very good at attacking but it is very bulky now: 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fur Coat Pachirisu: 128-152 (37.2 - 44.1%). It'll probably survive the whole run!

8. I saw you buffed the Big Root, do you have plans for buffs to any other items?
Possibly the pinch berries if that's a simple change, they'd be much better if they worked like they do in Gen VII.

Thanks for your attention to any and all of these! I understand you're busy with another romhack right now so obviously no rush on any of these, don't feel pushed to do them or anything! Thank you either way!
Responses in bold! I've been saying I'll update these hacks with a bug fix for a while now so I'll try to get some of your suggestions in at the same time.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 5, 2023
Out of curiosity I decided to look a little into what moves you could potentially modify into another physical Fairy move. I didn't find a whole lot, but the first two that came to mind are Covet and Heart Stamp. I've also seen other romhacks that've added damage to what currently are status moves; I don't know if that's possible but if so Tickle and Play Nice both occurred to me as possibilities. Tickle could maybe be modified to have a 50% chance of lowering the target's attack and a 50% chance of lowering its defense in addition to dealing damage, and Play Nice could be like a weaker Play Rough but with a higher chance of lowering the target's attack. Just some ideas, let me know if they appeal to you!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Out of curiosity I decided to look a little into what moves you could potentially modify into another physical Fairy move. I didn't find a whole lot, but the first two that came to mind are Covet and Heart Stamp. I've also seen other romhacks that've added damage to what currently are status moves; I don't know if that's possible but if so Tickle and Play Nice both occurred to me as possibilities. Tickle could maybe be modified to have a 50% chance of lowering the target's attack and a 50% chance of lowering its defense in addition to dealing damage, and Play Nice could be like a weaker Play Rough but with a higher chance of lowering the target's attack. Just some ideas, let me know if they appeal to you!
Covet seems like a good option, the animation is definitely cutesy enough to be a Fairy move. I'm not sure how well making status moves into damaging ones works on the 3DS; IIRC the animations need to be edited to make sure they show damage infliction properly in older games, so I'd assume it's the same with XY.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2019
May I ask how can I patch the mod into a Pokemon X CIA file? I have spent a while doing the research and trying all sort of things, but with no avail.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
looks like you chose the long way for a citra set up but nonetheless im grateful cause i can play it but for future rom hacks this might be easier > http s:/ /diovento.wordpress . com/rrss/ its a much easier set up and alot less steps ( sry if im being rude but im still grateful nonetheless )

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
@Buffel Saft

im in trouble here im getting this >
Exception Details:
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file 'D:\Citra game setup\Ethernal X - Wither Y\Eternal X\ExeFS\banner.bnr'.
File name: 'D:\Citra game setup\Ethernal X - Wither Y\Eternal X\ExeFS\banner.bnr'
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalMove(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean checkHost)
at DotNet3dsToolkit.Converter._Closure$__62-0.VB$StateMachine___Lambda$__0.MoveNext() in D:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\c024c1966f7da4c7\DotNet3dsToolkit\Converter.vb:line 242
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ValidateEnd(Task task)
at DotNet3dsToolkit.Converter.VB$StateMachine_62_ExtractPartition0.MoveNext() in D:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\c024c1966f7da4c7\DotNet3dsToolkit\Converter.vb:line 256
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at DotNet3dsToolkit.Converter.VB$StateMachine_78_ExtractCCI.MoveNext() in D:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\c024c1966f7da4c7\DotNet3dsToolkit\Converter.vb:line 469
at DotNet3dsToolkit.Converter.VB$StateMachine_77_ExtractCCI.MoveNext() in D:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\c024c1966f7da4c7\DotNet3dsToolkit\Converter.vb:line 448
at DotNet3dsToolkit.Converter.VB$StateMachine_84_ExtractAuto.MoveNext() in D:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\c024c1966f7da4c7\DotNet3dsToolkit\Converter.vb:line 574
at ToolkitForm.Form1.VB$StateMachine_23_btnExtract_Click.MoveNext() in D:\TeamCity\buildAgent\work\c024c1966f7da4c7\ToolkitForm\Form1.vb:line 138
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__6_0(Object state)

Loaded Assemblies:
--------------------
mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\mscorlib.dll

ToolkitForm, Version=1.4.6.18, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
D:\Citra game setup\Ethernal X - Wither Y\EXWY\3DS Toolkit\ToolkitForm.exe

System, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.dll

System.Windows.Forms, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Windows.Forms\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Windows.Forms.dll

System.Drawing, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Drawing\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Drawing.dll

Microsoft.VisualBasic, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Microsoft.VisualBasic\v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll

System.Configuration, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Configuration\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Configuration.dll

System.Core, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Core\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Core.dll

System.Xml, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Xml\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089\System.Xml.dll

Accessibility, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Accessibility\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\Accessibility.dll

DotNet3dsToolkit, Version=1.4.6.18, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
D:\Citra game setup\Ethernal X - Wither Y\EXWY\3DS Toolkit\DotNet3dsToolkit.dll

SkyEditor.Core, Version=4.0.7.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
D:\Citra game setup\Ethernal X - Wither Y\EXWY\3DS Toolkit\SkyEditor.Core.dll

System.Runtime, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Runtime\v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Runtime.dll

--------------------
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program, but please report this error.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
May I ask how can I patch the mod into a Pokemon X CIA file? I have spent a while doing the research and trying all sort of things, but with no avail.
I'd suggest following the hack's citra install guide, which covers the whole process. If you're building one for the 3DS you'll need to make a decrypted cia instead of the format suggested by the guide, but other than that it's the same process for both.
looks like you chose the long way for a citra set up but nonetheless im grateful cause i can play it but for future rom hacks this might be easier > http s:/ /diovento.wordpress . com/rrss/ its a much easier set up and alot less steps ( sry if im being rude but im still grateful nonetheless )
Yeah batch files are definitely easier for the end user, probably wouldn't hurt for me to learn how to write them at some point.
@Buffel Saft
im in trouble here im getting this >
Exception Details:
User Message:
An unhandled exception has occurred.
You can continue running the program, but please report this error.
I'm sorry, I can't get any useful information from that error. You might want to report it to the tool's creator instead (evandixon over at Project Pokemon; there's a thread for the tool here, though it doesn't look like it's being actively supported).

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 6, 2021
Hey, I'm having some problems with pokemon locations in the reflection cave - the BF1 spawns Mr. Mime and Chingling, but never a Ghostly and I kinda want it too :'D

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
@Buffel hopefully you will be able to write a batch file someday for setting up your rom hack really want to play it :D since i cant do it with the current citra guide

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 15, 2019
I had the same issue as @HyoudouIssei810
This means the CIA file of your Pokemon game is not properly decrypted.
If I recall correctly, I used Batch CIA 3DS Decryptor to fix the problem.
After properly decrypting it, you should not be getting any error message.

The guide actually helped a lot, it was far more simple than I thought @Buffel Saft

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Hey, I'm having some problems with pokemon locations in the reflection cave - the BF1 spawns Mr. Mime and Chingling, but never a Ghostly and I kinda want it too :'D
Seems that's my fault, I've just updated the game so Gastly will actually spawn there now. Sorry about that!
I had the same issue as @HyoudouIssei810
This means the CIA file of your Pokemon game is not properly decrypted.
If I recall correctly, I used Batch CIA 3DS Decryptor to fix the problem.
After properly decrypting it, you should not be getting any error message.

The guide actually helped a lot, it was far more simple than I thought @Buffel Saft
Thanks for clarifying that, hopefully HyoudouIssei810 will be able to get it working. The whole process is a lot easier than it used to be with that new tool, but I'm glad the guide helped!

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
the Batch CIA 3DS Decryptor seems to have worked i got no error this time around thanks alot @AmaraSM

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jun 19, 2019
@Buffel saft is there a way to randomize the Wild Pokemon and Starters? if i lets say in the future i wanted to do a randomized rom hack lets play?

also i dont know how to apply this ips file it wont let me use it at all i looks like this >
07b7e1be1b3a28158391ce1312c43df9.png

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jun 15, 2019
HI someone can help me please? i'm trying to install the hack on my 2ds and i followed the guide step by step but when i start the game i don'see "eternal x " on title screen... how can i resolve? or the hack is installed anyway??
i have homebrew v 2.0.0

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
@Buffel saft is there a way to randomize the Wild Pokemon and Starters? if i lets say in the future i wanted to do a randomized rom hack lets play?

also i dont know how to apply this ips file it wont let me use it at all i looks like this >
07b7e1be1b3a28158391ce1312c43df9.png
Yep, once you've copied the hack's files into your unpacked ROM you can open the folder containing those files with pk3DS, and then randomize it like any other ROM. As Amara said the guide explains how to use the ips patch.

HI someone can help me please? i'm trying to install the hack on my 2ds and i followed the guide step by step but when i start the game i don'see "eternal x " on title screen... how can i resolve? or the hack is installed anyway??
i have homebrew v 2.0.0
That depends; if you're not playing in English the hack is probably installed anyway (the new title screen is English only), but you can check by going to buy Poke Balls in Aquacorde Town. They'll be Cherish Balls instead of standard balls if the hack is installed.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 23, 2019
I loved playing the hack so far! But I have one small thing to nitpick about. I have played Penumbra Moon before this, and while they are similar on many accounts, the exp gain that's halved in this game is a bit of a downer. Due to the way the game is programmed, the base title for Pokemon X is significantly slower than the 7th gen titles. And I don't have a decent PC config :(
This kinda makes for a frustating gaming experience where I have to grind more. It just feels disappointing to see my Pokemon gain so little EXP after grinding. Can you make a patch available so I can toggle and keep the EXP gain at the normal rate? That would be really helpful!
Other than that, I have had an amazing experience so far! Cheers on the dedication you've had completing this project!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I loved playing the hack so far! But I have one small thing to nitpick about. I have played Penumbra Moon before this, and while they are similar on many accounts, the exp gain that's halved in this game is a bit of a downer. Due to the way the game is programmed, the base title for Pokemon X is significantly slower than the 7th gen titles. And I don't have a decent PC config :(
This kinda makes for a frustating gaming experience where I have to grind more. It just feels disappointing to see my Pokemon gain so little EXP after grinding. Can you make a patch available so I can toggle and keep the EXP gain at the normal rate? That would be really helpful!
Other than that, I have had an amazing experience so far! Cheers on the dedication you've had completing this project!
Thanks! Happy to hear you've been enjoying the hack! If you'd like to revert the EXP changes all you need to do is build a copy of the ROM without the hack's a/2/1/8 file, which contains Pokemon stats. Doing this will also remove type changes if you're playing a version with them, and might also change your Pokemon's level if it's in a different experience group than usual (though its EXP will stay the same). Save files should be shared between different versions of the same ROM in citra, so you could have one with the EXP changes and one without and just switch between the two as needed.

The experience reduction was done because the EXP share normally gives you 350% of the usual EXP (assuming you have a full party), so without that the level curve goes crazy and hits 100 well before the league. That's not a problem in gen VII where the trainers can have EVs to keep up with the player, but in all the games before that they need a small level advantage to stand a chance as they always have zero EVs across the board. If you do feel the need to grind though I'd suggest using the restaurants in Lumiose City if you're not already; they all use Pokemon that give a lot of EXP and they're good for grinding extra money too. You can also use Pokemon Amie and Lucky Eggs (you get one free and they're also held by wild Pelipper), and using both will give you 90% of the usual EXP instead of 50%.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 23, 2019
Thanks for responding so soon! Yeah, I switched teams a bit, rotating Pokemon in my roster to have a bit of variety., hence the underleveled Pokemon. My problem was that I am on Gym 7 and despite me grinding a fair amount, My party Pokemon are all around Lv 56 while the Gym uses Lv 63. I am benefiting from the type changes since I am using Luxray (I have always loved the idea of a Electric/Dark Luxray since a Gen 4 ROM hack) and the gym is Psychic, but I can switch between the Rebalanced version and the version without the EXP nerf for leveling up, and then battling when my Pokemon are on even ground.
I was gonna grind at the restaurant in Lumiose City, but it was my bad that the only restaurant I went to was the 3 star one and I assumed I can't grind in the restaurants. After reading your post though, I discovered the 2 star restaurant and I can happily grind my way up!
Thanks for all the tips!
Also, just one last thing. Any useful ways to farm Heart Scales, besides the Thiefing Luvdisc idea?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Thanks for responding so soon! Yeah, I switched teams a bit, rotating Pokemon in my roster to have a bit of variety., hence the underleveled Pokemon. My problem was that I am on Gym 7 and despite me grinding a fair amount, My party Pokemon are all around Lv 56 while the Gym uses Lv 63. I am benefiting from the type changes since I am using Luxray (I have always loved the idea of a Electric/Dark Luxray since a Gen 4 ROM hack) and the gym is Psychic, but I can switch between the Rebalanced version and the version without the EXP nerf for leveling up, and then battling when my Pokemon are on even ground.
I was gonna grind at the restaurant in Lumiose City, but it was my bad that the only restaurant I went to was the 3 star one and I assumed I can't grind in the restaurants. After reading your post though, I discovered the 2 star restaurant and I can happily grind my way up!
Thanks for all the tips!
Also, just one last thing. Any useful ways to farm Heart Scales, besides the Thiefing Luvdisc idea?

Ah okay, that would explain it.

You're welcome! Luvdisc is still the easiest way to get Heart Scales, they hold them more often than usual in the hack (might even be all the time), and they're easy to find using an Old Rod in Ambrette Town.

Back