• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Eternal X & Wilting Y [Version 2.67 Released]

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Well, I just figured out how to get it working with CFW, specifically arm9loaderhax and Luma3DS. There isn't a custom icon, but it does work. Once I figure out how to change the game ID, I'll type up the tutorial. Can you post a document with important trainer party info? I walked into Insanity Mode and got screwed by Viola off the bat.
I've got A9LH and Luma on my 3DS too, never had any problems with the method in the installation guide; it also worked with rxtools. Maybe your tutorial will shed some light on what the problem is.
The trainer party documents are in progress, I've just been busy with uni lately so they haven't been worked on in a while. I'll try to get them finished and uploaded some time in the next few weeks, once my exams are over.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
I've got A9LH and Luma on my 3DS too, never had any problems with the method in the installation guide; it also worked with rxtools. Maybe your tutorial will shed some light on what the problem is.
The trainer party documents are in progress, I've just been busy with uni lately so they haven't been worked on in a while. I'll try to get them finished and uploaded some time in the next few weeks, once my exams are over.

Still can't figure out why changing the GameID is still a problem. Credit to Asia81's tutorial on how to decrypt, extract, and rebuild 3DS ROMs and AuroraWright's info on Luma3DS.

Tutorial:

Things needed:

-A 3DS with A9LH/Luma
-A .3ds of Pokemon X/Y
-Decrypt9WIP
-Asia81's PackHack
-Simple 3DS to CIA Converter

1) Extract all archive files to their own folders.

2) Obtain a .3ds of Pokemon X and Y. I personally use Uncart with a Y cartridge, which can be loaded by holding X on boot.

3) Turn off your 3DS and place its SD card into your PC.

4) Check if you can run Decrypt9WIP through homebrew. If you can, put the 3DS's SD card into your PC and skip to step 7.

5) Take the Decrypt9WIP.bin out of the Decrypt9WIP folder you extracted and place it into the luma\payloads folder. The luma folder should be on the root of your SD card.

6) Rename it to up_Decrypt9WIP.bin. You can use other combos as well, I used Up because it's convenient. Check AuroraWright's page that I linked above if you want to do so.

7) Create a folder named Decrypt9 on the root of your SD card.

8) Take your .3ds of X/Y and place it into the Decrypt9 folder. If you used Uncart, it should be on the root. Rename it to something like PokemonY.3ds, just no special characters.

9) Put the SD card back into your 3DS and run Decrypt9, whether it be holding Up on boot or homebrew.

10) Choose Decryptor Options, then NCCH/NCSD Decryptor.

11) Wait for it to finish, grab your .3ds back from the Decrypt9 folder and place into your PackHack folder.

12) Install PackHack if you haven't already, then type in D. Follow the instructions. It doesn't matter if you decompress the code.bin, there's one provided already.

13) Follow regular instructions on Pokemon Eternal X and Wilting Y. Delete the code.bin that PackHack gave you and use the one that's provided. Do not copy the icon.bin over. Make sure you place that .CRO file into the DecryptedRomFS folder.

Side note: The icon that PackHack gives has a different file format to the one you provided. There's also a banner that's in there unlike using Braindump.

14) Go back to PackHack, type in 3DSB, point the program to the respective DecryptedRomFS folder, the DecryptedExeFS folder, and Pokemon Wilting X and Y's DecryptedExHeader.bin.

15) Save it into the roms folder of Simple 3DS to CIA Converter. If it asks to compress the .code.bin, say yes.

16) Load Simple 3DS to CIA Converter and turn the .3ds into a .CIA, install with preferred means.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 5, 2016
So i followed the guide to get Wilting Y working on my 3DS with A9LH and Luma but seem to have the same problem as DismalAmoeba. The icon is blank and i cant get past the 3DS logo when starting the game.

EDIT: following the tutorial DismalAmoeba posted above did the trick. Could not get the custom icon to show up either but at least i can play.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Still can't figure out why changing the GameID is still a problem. Credit to Asia81's tutorial on how to decrypt, extract, and rebuild 3DS ROMs and AuroraWright's info on Luma3DS.

Tutorial:
-

So i followed the guide to get Wilting Y working on my 3DS with A9LH and Luma but seem to have the same problem as DismalAmoeba. The icon is blank and i cant get past the 3DS logo when starting the game.

EDIT: following the tutorial DismalAmoeba posted above did the trick. Could not get the custom icon to show up either but at least i can play.

Thanks for writing up that tutorial, at least the game is playable while this issue is being looked into.
Would one of you mind uploading your EXEFS folder (or just the banner and icon files)? It seems like something in there isn't working as it should be, I'd like to try building a cia with your files to see what happens. Maybe the files PackHack is giving you are incompatible with the others in the hack download for whatever reason. It seems unlikely but it'll be an easy fix if that's the case.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 28, 2016
I tried to this the way you described it here but I always have a problem when opening Decrypt9WIP. It always gives me a black screen, then the bottom screen turns red and after 2 secs I am back at the Homebrew screen.
Is there anyway I can fix this or does this not work for me?
I start Homebrew from the homemenu (have Luma3ds and installed the Homebrew shortcut via FBI) so maybe that is the problem?

EDIT: Got it to work I just forgot to add a file

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 5, 2016
Thanks for writing up that tutorial, at least the game is playable while this issue is being looked into.
Would one of you mind uploading your EXEFS folder (or just the banner and icon files)? It seems like something in there isn't working as it should be, I'd like to try building a cia with your files to see what happens. Maybe the files PackHack is giving you are incompatible with the others in the hack download for whatever reason. It seems unlikely but it'll be an easy fix if that's the case.

Yeah not sure why but the icon file you get from PackHack after using this method with Decrypt9 and a .3ds file seems to be different then the one get from a braindumped .cxi file. The braindumped file gives you an "icon.bin" the other method an "icon.icn".

Oh and sent you a pm with a link to my ExeFS files.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 28, 2016
what did you do bc for me I get no files and/or other things after running the Hacking Toolkit

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
Yeah not sure why but the icon file you get from PackHack after using this method with Decrypt9 and a .3ds file seems to be different then the one get from a braindumped .cxi file. The braindumped file gives you an "icon.bin" the other method an "icon.icn".

Oh and sent you a pm with a link to my ExeFS files.
Thanks for that, I'll take a look at it now. Should be interesting.

EDIT: I've run the files through HxD; other than their file extensions, they're identical to the files I've been using. Changing their extensions from ".icn" and ".bnr" to ".bin" should fix the problem (3DSB probably wasn't recognising them with the other extensions, so they didn't get used, resulting in no banner). In case this still doesn't work, I'm going to add the entire EXEFS folder to the downloads for both versions, so you can just rebuild a .cia using those files instead.

what did you do bc for me I get no files and/or other things after running the Hacking Toolkit
Which step isn't working?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
May i know Pokemon Eternal X and Wilting Y will crash or have bug error (after look at mirror ,choosing starter,getting town map,leveling up,receiving items,etc........) whenever boot on citra latest chinese build (05/07/2016) ?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
May i know Pokemon Eternal X and Wilting Y will crash or have bug error (after look at mirror ,choosing starter,getting town map,leveling up,receiving items,etc........) whenever boot on citra latest chinese build (05/07/2016) ?

If the regular X and Y work, EX and WY will too. If not, they'll be just as buggy as the originals. Also, I don't know if citra can run edited .cro files; you might want to build the 3DS ROM without the DLLField.cro file just in case.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 1, 2016
If the regular X and Y work, EX and WY will too. If not, they'll be just as buggy as the originals. Also, I don't know if citra can run edited .cro files; you might want to build the 3DS ROM without the DLLField.cro file just in case.

The regular X & Y not working on citra,so,i guess that edited .cro files should be able to fix citra crashing trouble whenever booting X & Y,just wonder had anybody test EX WY on citra ? I found somewhere there is guy said wilting Y work on citra(no crash/no blackscreen),but i doubt,since nobody proof it,including the guy himself ,i cannot ask the emulator dev to test it out,since they are not master in building the rom,but those who building the rom know more about it ,is it right?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
The regular X & Y not working on citra,so,i guess that edited .cro files should be able to fix citra crashing trouble whenever booting X & Y,just wonder had anybody test EX WY on citra ? I found somewhere there is guy said wilting Y work on citra(no crash/no blackscreen),but i doubt,since nobody proof it,including the guy himself ,i cannot ask the emulator dev to test it out,since they are not master in building the rom,but those who building the rom know more about it ,is it right?

Yeah, I wouldn't believe it works on citra without proof. As far as I know, I haven't made any changes to the games that would fix the crashes. Unfortunately I don't know much about 3DS emulation, so I'd likely be less helpful than the citra devs. Sorry!

Also, for anyone interested, I've just updated the Google Drive and the download packs with important trainer party documents. Looking back, Some of them definitely need some work (Diantha's team is awkward, Insanity's mid game is too easy, and there are far too many things with Power Herb + Solar Beam), and I haven't documented the millions of rival battles yet, but they're better than nothing. The installation guide has also been updated with a warning not to use .cxi files to build .cia files (thanks to KIRIT0 for the heads up on this one, I had no idea that was a problem), and will eventually get a section covering uncart.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
I am super noob to 3DS hacks, need some help.

So, i have firware version 11...so i take it it's impossible for me to run this hack or install any of the homebrew stuff without *googles hardmod* SOLDERING my 3DS?! What on earth :O...

So i have no way to downgrade to 9.2 or whatever is needed to run any of these hacks without essentially...getting a old 3DS that is on a firmware lower than 11 unless i want to take up using a soldering Iron...is that correct?

What happened to "drag and drop, extract, rebuild, play" lol. Guess I am out of luck then correct? :(.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
I am super noob to 3DS hacks, need some help.

So, i have firware version 11...so i take it it's impossible for me to run this hack or install any of the homebrew stuff without *googles hardmod* SOLDERING my 3DS?! What on earth :O...

So i have no way to downgrade to 9.2 or whatever is needed to run any of these hacks without essentially...getting a old 3DS that is on a firmware lower than 11 unless i want to take up using a soldering Iron...is that correct?

What happened to "drag and drop, extract, rebuild, play" lol. Guess I am out of luck then correct? :(.

You can get userland homebrew (Smea's homebrew channel) in a few ways without soldering anything, and from there you can play hacks via hans, provided you own the hack's base game. Unfortunately most of the current entry points require buying something; these are your options as far as I'm aware:
  • Freakyhax (needs freaky forms)
  • OOT3DHax (needs Ocarina of Time 3D and a Powersaves)
  • Supermysterychunkhax (needs Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and a Powersaves/already hacked 3DS)
  • SmileBASIC will also be exploitable soon, but it's US and Japan only.
But yeah, a hard mod is the only way to downgrade to 9.2 right now. Supposedly it's easy to do if you've got experience with soldering, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
You can get userland homebrew (Smea's homebrew channel) in a few ways without soldering anything, and from there you can play hacks via hans, provided you own the hack's base game. Unfortunately most of the current entry points require buying something; these are your options as far as I'm aware:
  • Freakyhax (needs freaky forms)
  • OOT3DHax (needs Ocarina of Time 3D and a Powersaves)
  • Supermysterychunkhax (needs Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and a Powersaves/already hacked 3DS)
  • SmileBASIC will also be exploitable soon, but it's US and Japan only.
But yeah, a hard mod is the only way to downgrade to 9.2 right now. Supposedly it's easy to do if you've got experience with soldering, but I wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

So in short, i could pick up freaky forms deluxe, follow the guide on plutoo's site, then go via the homebrew launcher via starting the game with it's built in QR-code thing in freaky forms, then, i presume? I can try and give that a go as i thing i know someone who has that game, otherwise ill get it off the e-store.

If in doubt ill see if my mate has a pre 11.0.0 3ds as that will probably make it easier lol.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
So in short, i could pick up freaky forms deluxe, follow the guide on plutoo's site, then go via the homebrew launcher via starting the game with it's built in QR-code thing in freaky forms, then, i presume? I can try and give that a go as i thing i know someone who has that game, otherwise ill get it off the e-store.

If in doubt ill see if my mate has a pre 11.0.0 3ds as that will probably make it easier lol.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I hear Freaky Forms isn't a very good game though; if you can borrow your friend's copy, you can use it to set up a secondary entry point through Pokemon Picross (which is free), then use that to run homebrew without actually buying Freaky Forms.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
Cool. I am starting to thing it would be much less of a ball ache to get lower firmware 3DS...so annoyed i accidently updated it to 11 xD. If only a factory reset reset the firmware too, ah well, I'll see what i can do.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2022
So i managed to get a 9.2 3ds thankfully, so homebrew is up.

Question; you said in your guide I need a e-shop version or physical cart, well, i have a .3ds file which i assume is the same as the e-shop version that i got from my friend, where do i place it on my sd card to homebrew knows it's there as the shortcut on homebrew will work? Because currently, it says it can't find it.

Seems like im so close lol.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 20, 2024
So i managed to get a 9.2 3ds thankfully, so homebrew is up.

Question; you said in your guide I need a e-shop version or physical cart, well, i have a .3ds file which i assume is the same as the e-shop version that i got from my friend, where do i place it on my sd card to homebrew knows it's there as the shortcut on homebrew will work? Because currently, it says it can't find it.

Seems like im so close lol.

To run a .3ds file, you'll first need to convert it to a .cia file and install it (from there it will act like an eshop game). To do this you'll need to have a custom firmware installed on your 3DS. Seeing as you have one on 9.2, you should follow Plailect's guide to get it set up with Luma 3DS custom firmware and A9LH. It'll take you several hours because the 3DS is pretty slow and there's a lot of copying large files, but it's worth it.

Edit: Should mention this will also allow you to install the hack as a standalone game, which is much better than playing it through hans.

Back