• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Genesis

Thrace

@tion
Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    cool. I'll try it out soon after I get back home, Thrace. :D

oh, and I wanna ask something...

picture.php

what's with this? :P
    Oh, er I don't know why I did that actually. I was really bored so I was trying to think of something clever to do with the title... but I couldn't. So I just changed it to that.

I forgot to mention the new fixed beta has new maps too. Yay. :D

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Nice Thrace I really like playing Genisus and a fixed beta will be great to play.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    Some bugs

Hello Thrace, I played your last beta (fixed beta 3) and I found some minor bugs and a more serious error. I also make a video, so you can see these bugs

it.youtube.com/watch?v=EFCMLuOPZR4

I hope that, in this way, I help you :classic:

P.S.
    Sorry for my bad english :P

Last edited:

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Hello Thrace, I played your last beta (fixed beta 3) and I found some minor bugs and a more serious error. I also make a video, so you can see these bugs

it.youtube.com/watch?v=EFCMLuOPZR4

I hope that, in this way, I help you :classic:

P.S.
    Sorry for my bad english :P
    Thanks for that. I'll fix those ASAP. I can't believe that bug in front of Mt. Perin is still there. :[

I decided that Latim City needed a new look. Its probably my oldest map since I've remade every new map from scratch. Latim City has been the only map I've kept largely unchanged mainly because its the biggest city in the game and I'm pretty lazy. Anyways here it is:

Latim City - Before
    Latim City - After

I know the big building gets cut off. I ran out of blocks - this city needs a LOT of blocks - don't worry though, you won't see it in-game.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    That looks really good Teh Malin
    Don't forget to credit Kyledove for the tiles!

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    That looks really good Teh Malin
    Don't forget to credit Kyledove for the tiles!
    They're actually Wesley FG's but thanks for reminding me. I've uploaded a new version of the Fixed Beta 3. Fingers crossed everything works. You can get it from the first post or by clicking here.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    i'm playing the new fixed beta 3, i noticed both the rival's and hero's mailboxes have the hero's name on them. its not a big deal just thought to tell you. i like the game, thank you for making it. i look forward to playing the completed version. thanks again.

edit: also, the building connecting "herus path" and "munis lakeside" on the "herus path" side you can stand on top of the tree below the building instead of standing behind it.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Thrace, how're you going to get the sideway stairs to work? :\
    And I'm liking the tiles, pal, liking the tiles.

How do you get those darn things in? My tiles don't agree with my ROM!

Oh, and where did you get them tiles? I looked through Wesley FG's tiling thing and found nothing like that. :\

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    i'm playing the new fixed beta 3, i noticed both the rival's and hero's mailboxes have the hero's name on them. its not a big deal just thought to tell you. i like the game, thank you for making it. i look forward to playing the completed version. thanks again.

edit: also, the building connecting "herus path" and "munis lakeside" on the "herus path" side you can stand on top of the tree below the building instead of standing behind it.
    Thanks I've fixed both those problems now.

Thrace, how're you going to get the sideway stairs to work? :\
    And I'm liking the tiles, pal, liking the tiles.

How do you get those darn things in? My tiles don't agree with my ROM!

Oh, and where did you get them tiles? I looked through Wesley FG's tiling thing and found nothing like that. :\
    Get it to work? I'm not sure what you mean. I just inserted them into the tileset theres no trick to it.

You need to edit the palettes so they have RGB values that are multiples of 8.

I got them from Wesley FG except for the large building thats by Fanking Omega.

GFS

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    This hack is quite good
    The scripting and mapping in it is godly
    Keep up the great work, Thrace!

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    here is some more things that i noticed

between the sign and door of the libary, part of the wall you walk behind it

on the second floor of the libary the trainer below the stairs(other side of the book cases) when you battle her it says her name is "Pocknicker Twins SALLY"
    -girl on the far side that teaches thunder wave thinks you are a team rocket member

on the fourth floor there is a scientist looking sprite that turns the screen red when you try to talk to him,
    -on the other side of that floor you can walk under the four stools on the far wall and there is an old man that turns the screen red when you talk to him
    -at the bottom you can walk under the black part

on the fifth floor there is a pokeball on the table you can't reach

on the seventh floor the guy that gives you the itemfinder gives it to you over and over each time you talk to him
    -the guy below him turns the screen red

on the eighth floor you can move over the tree below the "up" stairs
    -on all four couches you walk along the top instead of behind them

on the ninth floor the girl in the middle of the room is a team rocket member and she says welcome to the 10th floor when it is the 9th floor

on zyrene plains there is an old man covering part of the tree beside the pokecenter
    -below him in the patch of grass if you go to the bottom left grass tile and walk left you will walk on top of the tree
    -the entrance to mt. perin needs it movement permission changed

on the first floor of uriel enterprises the people are mourning the death of their pokemon

palerose leader nate has a ?? pokemon
    -the well/shrine thing goes to a battle arena

that is all. thanks again, hope i helped.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • BUG REPORT

Here's a bug report I threw together after playing through the beginning of your hack. I stopped at the point where I returned the Parcel to my dad so there's probably still plenty more little bugs and errors to discover. I'll either edit this post with more as I go along or I'll create another if there are too many ;)

1. The signpost script is the same for both your house and your rival's house.
    Fixed%20Beta%20301.png
    Fixed%20Beta%20302.png

2. When you try to go upstairs while picking your pokémon, the rival will stop you but he turns left instead of right.
    Fixed%20Beta%20303.png
    Fixed%20Beta%20304.png

3. But...but he's right there!
    Fixed%20Beta%20305.png
    Fixed%20Beta%20306.png

4. You're gonna need to do something about the naming process script
    Fixed%20Beta%20307.png

5. Spelling Error: "togther" should be "together"
    Fixed%20Beta%20308.png

6. Spelling Error: "suprised" should be "surprised"
    Fixed%20Beta%20309.png

7. Need commas. Try: "Wherever you go, he goes. Whatever you do, he does."
    Fixed%20Beta%20311.png

8. Misuse of semicolon
    Fixed%20Beta%20312.png

9. Needs to be "your" instead of "you're"
    Fixed%20Beta%20313.png

10. Tree shadow error(s)
    Fixed%20Beta%20314.png

11. Spelling Error: "batlle" should be "battle"
    Fixed%20Beta%20315.png

12. Aw, no tree shadows? :'(
    Fixed%20Beta%20316.png

13. Background Byte Error: Set to "00 20"
    On top of that, when you enter this house, the music stops and then plays again. You know how when you enter Oak's lab from Pallet Town in the original FR/LG and the music changes? Well here, the music fades out like it normally does but it comes back in again as the same music o_0
    Fixed%20Beta%20317.png

14. Missing a period (or other punctuation mark) after the clause "I know"
    Fixed%20Beta%20318.png

15. Tile error with both of the small trees
    On top of that, when you enter this house, the music stops and then plays again. You know how when you enter Oak's lab from Pallet Town in the original FR/LG and the music changes? Well here, the music fades out like it normally does but it comes back in again as the same music o_0
    Fixed%20Beta%20319.png

16. Opening quotation marks are faced the wrong direction
    Fixed%20Beta%20320.png

17. Keep on.....what? Going? Moving?
    Fixed%20Beta%20321.png

18. Uh, I'm not sure about this one but I think it's spelt "PokéDexes"
    Fixed%20Beta%20322.png

19. Missing an apostrophe in "heres"
    Fixed%20Beta%20323.png

20. Missing a period or other punctuation mark.
    Fixed%20Beta%20324.png

21. Should be "Your" not "You're"
    Fixed%20Beta%20325.png

22. Is that wall mapped properly? That might be correct as I don't map indoors very often. Check a map from the original FR/LG to make sure.
    Fixed%20Beta%20326.png

23. Should be "Thanks" not "Thank's"
    Fixed%20Beta%20327.png

Some other stuff to keep in mind:
    • When the mysterious person cuts the tree for you, there's no animation nor sound
    • Grammatical and spelling errors are abundant
    • The textboxes that show up when you receive an item are awkward. Instead of closing when the music ends, it stays open like a "callstd/boxset 0x6" textbox would. Here's what I use (I think it looks a little more professional):

Code:
    msgbox @POINTER1 ' Text that leads into the giving of the item(s)
    callstd 0x4
    msgbox2 @POINTER2 ' PLAYER obtained the ITEM, or something along those lines
    waitmsgbox ' Waits for the text to finish displaying
    fanfare 0x13E ' Plays a lil' jingle
    waitfanfare ' Wait for the lil' jingle to finish
    msgbox @POINTER3 ' Automatically goes into next msgbox, and without the quick little break where one disappears and the other appears
    callstd 0x6
    I have an example script of this working but it's currently being used in the Legend of Fenju and I'm not sure if Neti would appreciate me showing events, especially since it's an important event.

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Where did you find a giveitem script that left the textbox open? I can't seem to find it. Thanks for all the effort you put in.
    I don't mean it in the sense that you can walk around with the box still open (although I did encounter that problem in Beta 2). What I mean is that it played the jingle and everything but when it was over, the box doesn't close automatically. You have to manually press either A or B to close the box and continue the script. It's not a huge problem but I think the script I use looks a tad more professional. Were you, by any chance, using this script, or something similar, when giving items:
    Code:
    msgbox @POINTER ' give item text
    callstd 0x4
    fanfare 0x13E
    waitfanfare
    closeonkeypress ' or #raw 0x68
    msgbox @NEXTTEXT
    callstd 0x6
    That script should be the source of the problem. Do whatever you prefer but I'm just saying it's a little weird to have to press A to close a giveitem box.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    I don't mean it in the sense that you can walk around with the box still open (although I did encounter that problem in Beta 2). What I mean is that it played the jingle and everything but when it was over, the box doesn't close automatically. You have to manually press either A or B to close the box and continue the script. It's not a huge problem but I think the script I use looks a tad more professional. Were you, by any chance, using this script, or something similar, when giving items:
    Code:
    msgbox @POINTER ' give item text
    callstd 0x4
    fanfare 0x13E
    waitfanfare
    closeonkeypress ' or #raw 0x68
    msgbox @NEXTTEXT
    callstd 0x6
    That script should be the source of the problem. Do whatever you prefer but I'm just saying it's a little weird to have to press A to close a giveitem box.
    Oh right. Thanks thats a good idea. I didn't realise that you didn't have to push A to close the message after getting an item. I always spam A during message boxes so I guess I didn't notice.

I have some questions:
    1) Who are the starters?
    2) Which 4th Gen Poke can be found in this game?
    3)How far does this game go?
    1) Spheal, Mareep and Trapinch
    2) None are obtainable yet
    3) The 5th gym

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Oh right. Thanks thats a good idea. I didn't realise that you didn't have to push A to close the message after getting an item. I always spam A during message boxes so I guess I didn't notice.
    Yeah it's not really all that important but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so yeah.
    Anyways, best of luck on the hack! I'll keep playing and report any more errors I find. Keep up the good work! :)

enViable

The Frozen Fire Alchemist
    Years
  • Hi guys

I'm adding a few more errors to the list (I don't think they have been listed so far)

Mt Perin - Upper floor
    There is a ladder that doesn't do anything, you can just walk over it, it's above a hiker trainer and near the drophole to the fossils

Mt Perin - Upper floor
    When you fall through the drop hole, you cannot take the left fossil, it just repeats a speaking script but no person appears.

Mt Perin - Lower right floor
    After going up and down several ladders to the right in Mt Perin, you fight the hiker, go through the side door and come to a ladder that you cant step on.

Mt Perin - Lower floor
    Towards the end of the cave is a bug catcher who doesn't engage you unless you talk to him. (It's not an error as such but I didn't know if it was meant to be that way)

1stly, great hack mate, stunning tiles, great scripting etc. Kudos for your hard work. The snow city looks AWESOME, better than anything Nintendo did. The only suggestions I would make are

1 - Adding running shoes just for convenience
    2 - Change one of the trade people, they both offer the female Nidoran species for a male. (Yes one is Nidorino and one is Nidoran but still...) I would personally change the 2nd one as by the time you reach him/her your going to have the evolved species...and perhaps just change it to spice it up, make it a pokemon you can't normally catch perhaps.
    Sorry for no screenies, I will add them if you wish me to

They're just my suggestions though mate, well done once again.

Last edited:
    Back