• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Modern Emerald (Complete, 2.1 Released! Following Pokémon, Modern Battle Frontier, and more!)

Days
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I just finished the game and was hoping to complete a LivingDex but I see that my version of the game is 1.5 and updating to 2.0 would make me lose all progress and have to go through the game again. That's discouraging but thank you for such a great hack, maybe I'll revisit it in the future!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I just finished the game and was hoping to complete a LivingDex but I see that my version of the game is 1.5 and updating to 2.0 would make me lose all progress and have to go through the game again. That's discouraging but thank you for such a great hack, maybe I'll revisit it in the future!
That's the price of adding new features! I'm not planning on releasing an update where savedata is modified again, requiring a new game. It was mostly done to add a new box for users who want to do LivingDexes (as in 1.5 there's only 420 slots in the PC, while there's actually 423 pokémon).

1.5.6 can still be enjoyed anyway, and since the game offers quite an amount of customisation, a second run in 2.1 can actually be different from your actual run. Oh, and you can trade your Pokémon to 2.1, so there's also that.

Years
  • Age 90
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
Is Mawile still in Granite Cave? I see it's unchanged in the documents, but I can only ever find Sableye in there.

Days
  • Seen yesterday
MJUVMHm.jpg

🔍WHAT IS THIS HACK? (Updated to 1.4)

To put it simply, "Pokémon Modern Emerald" is a modernization of the original "Pokémon Emerald" game. This game offers all the QOL features and improvements that I've wanted since I got my hands on the original game in 2005. Think of this as a 2.0 update for the original game. This game is not a "difficulty hack-rom", and never will be. If you want a super difficult version of Pokémon Emerald there are already a lot of good hack-roms available. The idea behind this game is to play it instead of the original "Pokémon Emerald", especially for those who want a vanilla experience with more features: simple difficulty modes, move splits, QOL features, new Pokémon, new areas, new rematches, and a large etc.

This hack is a "3rd generation hack", meaning that it doesn't try to mimic later generations and, although certain features and improvements from later generations are included, this hack is a 3rd generation game at its core. Don't expect all the new moves from later generations, or being able to catch 900 different Pokémon. This hack does not include the "Battle Engine Upgrade" or anything similar, but it does include certain mechanics from it (like the OPTIONAL Physical / Special split that happened in Gen. IV, or the Fairy Type).

There's a total of 423 Pokémon, including 2 from Generation 8 and 3 from Generation 9. There are two modes that can be selected from the Challenges screen at the start of the game. If you don't touch anything, spawns will be just like the original Emerald without the version exclusives. If you enable "Modern Spawns", all 423 will be obtainable. The game also includes Day/Night spawns for both modes (although without Modern Spawns the change is minimal and it's mostly a rate change for certain species). There are also a ton of different options that can be selected at the start of the game to personalise your experience.

AwEsuwm.png

There are also WONDER-TRADES, which can help you complete your national Pokédex (All Pokémon are available for Wonder-Trade except legendaries, and you are limited to 3 Wonder-Trades every day). It's on the second floor of the Pokémon Center, and can be used after the fifth gym.

The code is available on Github, and you can report bugs over there or in this thread. The game works on any good emulator (tested on: mGBA on PC / Switch) and on real hardware (tested on: EZ Flash Omega (BUT YOU HAVE TO SELECT FLASH TYPE 128KB MANUALLY), Everdrive Mini). Some emulators can cause crashes (OpenEMU, MyBoy, VBA) probably because they are too old or they are missing features other good emulators have.

This is my "dream emerald" version, let's say, but now even better!

✨FEATURES
There are a lot of things!

Spoiler:

You can have a look at more changes under the hood in this document. It's my personal document, so it might be a bit messy.

🕶️EXTRA INFORMATION (SPOILERS)

Evolution changes and improvements:

Spoiler:

New wild Pokémon available for every mode (Alternate Spawns and Default spawns):
Spoiler:

New static encounters:
Spoiler:

📸SCREENSHOTS

🔧FAQ

Spoiler:

🐛KNOWN BUGS

PLEASE DON'T REPORT BUGS IF YOU ARE NOT USING MGBA EMULATOR OR REAL HARDWARE. Decompilation hack-roms may crash or have strange bugs if you are using other emulators. To report a bug first use mGBA or real hardware, then DM me or comment here.
  • None (for now?)

📒CHANGELOG

Spoiler:

🆙INSTALLATION AND DOWNLOADS

Download the attachment
You need the ROM: Pokemon - Emerald Version (USA, Europe). sha1: f3ae088181bf583e55daf962a92bb46f4f1d07b7
Patch using flips.

You can check where all Pokémon are and more using my personal document.
You can check all the game code in my Github. My code can be messy and probably bad, especially the names of my commits. Sorry in advance. Modern Emerald has to be compiled with "make modern". Older compilers won't work.

🎞️CREDITS

I think it's easier to say that all my edits came from Pret's pokeemerald wiki. If you want to appear in this section, just message me and I will edit the post.

You can use this game as a base for your rom-hack, if you so desire.
You can use any code from the Github repository, if you really want to.
No need to credit me, just have fun.
Am i really going to play another Pokemon Emerald Romhack for the 50th time this year?

Of course i am!

Days
  • Seen today
Hey man ! I have 2 favors to ask you, but first I just want to say that it's an amazing enhancement romhack, I had a great time playing it and I will continue to do so. I am currently at the pokémon league so I still have a lot left to do. What I want to ask now concerns only one pokémon : Sceptile. Do you think it would be possible to give him the dragon type ? I always thought it was unfair that he didn't have it, although he did gain it with mega but it's temporary and it isn't available anymore in the current games. I know that it would mess up the balance of the starters type, but to me it remains a heavily missed opportunity to have made sceptile a very good pokémon on the competitive scene. That being said, I can't modifiy the main series game and tell game freak to randomly buff my favorite pokémon. But today I noticed while building a team to face the league that you gave Ferraligatr the dragon type, which nullify his weakness to grass. That's why I thought you could maybe give sceptile the dragon type aswell. And if you don't want to, which I could totally understand because it's your game afterall, could you help me to make the change on my save only so that my want doesn't effect others' game experience. Thanks in advance
The second favor is to help me modify sceptile's "battle" and "overworld" sprites (not sure if those are the correct terms but I think you understood me), or rework his shiny version like you did for other pokémons. I stumbled across a shiny blaziken when going through victory road (my game is randomized) and it looked awesome. Since I don't like shiny sceptile that much, I thought I could ask you to help me modify it, like just tell me what to do to change it on my rom or a new one. It doesn't bother me to do it on a brand new rom since I planned to play it again but not randomized.
That's it I really hope you will be able to help me, and again you did an amazing job so keep it up !
(English isn't my primary language sorry if I did mistakes or if my sentences aren't very clear)
Edit : I just saw that you gave Meganium the fairy type explaning why you could give ferraligatr the dragon type, I still hope Sceptile will have access to the dragon type tho :(
I also looked further into the attachements in your first post and saw all your code, so it may be possible to do everything that I asked by myself, although it would take me a massive amount of time because I'm so bad at coding so if if you can help me real quick it would be great but if not I totally understand. While I did find the code for sceptile's sprites (but I don't know what to do with it honestly), I did not find how to modify his typing and I have no clue how to implement it in a new save.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Hey man ! I have 2 favors to ask you, but first I just want to say that it's an amazing enhancement romhack, I had a great time playing it and I will continue to do so. I am currently at the pokémon league so I still have a lot left to do. What I want to ask now concerns only one pokémon : Sceptile. Do you think it would be possible to give him the dragon type ? I always thought it was unfair that he didn't have it, although he did gain it with mega but it's temporary and it isn't available anymore in the current games. I know that it would mess up the balance of the starters type, but to me it remains a heavily missed opportunity to have made sceptile a very good pokémon on the competitive scene. That being said, I can't modifiy the main series game and tell game freak to randomly buff my favorite pokémon. But today I noticed while building a team to face the league that you gave Ferraligatr the dragon type, which nullify his weakness to grass. That's why I thought you could maybe give sceptile the dragon type aswell. And if you don't want to, which I could totally understand because it's your game afterall, could you help me to make the change on my save only so that my want doesn't effect others' game experience. Thanks in advance
The second favor is to help me modify sceptile's "battle" and "overworld" sprites (not sure if those are the correct terms but I think you understood me), or rework his shiny version like you did for other pokémons. I stumbled across a shiny blaziken when going through victory road (my game is randomized) and it looked awesome. Since I don't like shiny sceptile that much, I thought I could ask you to help me modify it, like just tell me what to do to change it on my rom or a new one. It doesn't bother me to do it on a brand new rom since I planned to play it again but not randomized.
That's it I really hope you will be able to help me, and again you did an amazing job so keep it up !
(English isn't my primary language sorry if I did mistakes or if my sentences aren't very clear)
Edit : I just saw that you gave Meganium the fairy type explaning why you could give ferraligatr the dragon type, I still hope Sceptile will have access to the dragon type tho :(
I also looked further into the attachements in your first post and saw all your code, so it may be possible to do everything that I asked by myself, although it would take me a massive amount of time because I'm so bad at coding so if if you can help me real quick it would be great but if not I totally understand. While I did find the code for sceptile's sprites (but I don't know what to do with it honestly), I did not find how to modify his typing and I have no clue how to implement it in a new save.
I thought for some time about buffing Sceptile (I'm currently doing a playthrough and it's definitely the worst starter), and adding Dragon type to it was in my mind but I probably didn't do it because adding Dragon would add another weakness to it.
I am playing a bit with the balance of the game, especially now that I made some features optional, so I don't see why I shouldn't buff Sceptile to the level of Blaziken and Swampert. However, I can't see how to be honest.

Now, in order to modify the game you should follow this guide from the pokeemerald project but instead of using their project use mine. Then, you build the project with "make modern" and you should be good to go. I also started with absolutely zero knowledge of anything related to Linux, or coding outside of binary hacking, so it might take a while but you can do it.
To edit the sprite you need to simply substitute it with a new one, taking into account the limitations of the GBA (16 colors max, size, etc.) and editing the palette file with those 16 colors. If you only want to edit the sprite, you only need to edit the shiny palette file. It may sound difficult, but once you get used to the project is pretty easy (it will take you some time, though).

Years
  • Age 28
  • Online now
Sceptile's stats make it a frail, but fast attacker. I don't think it'd hurt that much to make it Grass/Dragon. It'd only really be a problem in stat equalizer playthroughs.

However, if you're that concerned with it getting more weaknesses, I'd like to offer a less usual idea: Grass/Electric. This typing would remove a weakness from it. Besides, there aren't any Grass/Electric types in Modern Emerald.

Also, why haven't you made Masquerain Bug/Water? There are already so many Bug/Flying types. Bug/Water would help it stand out from them. Besides, Bug/Water is better defensively and offensively.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Sceptile's stats make it a frail, but fast attacker. I don't think it'd hurt that much to make it Grass/Dragon. It'd only really be a problem in stat equalizer playthroughs.

However, if you're that concerned with it getting more weaknesses, I'd like to offer a less usual idea: Grass/Electric. This typing would remove a weakness from it. Besides, there aren't any Grass/Electric types in Modern Emerald.

Also, why haven't you made Masquerain Bug/Water? There are already so many Bug/Flying types. Bug/Water would help it stand out from them. Besides, Bug/Water is better defensively and offensively.

To be honest, as much as I like and know about Pokémon, I'm not really into knowing the meta and what works / what doesn't. :LOL:

I may think about doing Sceptile Grass/Electric. It doesn't make much sense, thematically speaking, but let me think about it. Grass/Dragon makes a bit more sense (it's a reptile).
And masquerain yeah, it's a good idea.

Days
  • Seen today
I thought for some time about buffing Sceptile (I'm currently doing a playthrough and it's definitely the worst starter), and adding Dragon type to it was in my mind but I probably didn't do it because adding Dragon would add another weakness to it.
I am playing a bit with the balance of the game, especially now that I made some features optional, so I don't see why I shouldn't buff Sceptile to the level of Blaziken and Swampert. However, I can't see how to be honest.

Now, in order to modify the game you should follow this guide from the pokeemerald project but instead of using their project use mine. Then, you build the project with "make modern" and you should be good to go. I also started with absolutely zero knowledge of anything related to Linux, or coding outside of binary hacking, so it might take a while but you can do it.
To edit the sprite you need to simply substitute it with a new one, taking into account the limitations of the GBA (16 colors max, size, etc.) and editing the palette file with those 16 colors. If you only want to edit the sprite, you only need to edit the shiny palette file. It may sound difficult, but once you get used to the project is pretty easy (it will take you some time, though).
I mean it does give him a 4x times weakness to Ice and 2 weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy but it nullifies his fire weakness and gives him 4 times resistance to electric and water. But as FeraligatrMaster said, Sceptile is so frail he gets basically one shotted every time he's taking a super effective hit, even just 2 times effectiveness. On the other hand the dragon type could give him access to a Dragon type STAB, which is great since he can learn dragon pulse and dragon claw. You should also consider giving him dragon breath at level 22 or 23 I think. Other than that I think another Sceptile weakness is his attack stat. He's supposed to be a fast physical sweeper according to his movepool (Leaf blade, Rockslide, Earthquake or Dragon Claw) but he isn't. Swapping his special attack with physical attack stat could be the move but I don't think 85 stat in special attack would suit him since he still has access to Leaf Storm, Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse. I think you should make his Base stat total 535 like Swampert (may aswell do the same for blaziken), then give him 90 base stat in physcial attack, 110 in special attack by making his defense stat 60 (65 is already so low that it would change anything imo, he gets oneshotted anyway) then you can swap physcal and special attack stats and it would be great. So it would look like this :
HP = 70
Attack = 110
Defense = 60
Special Attack = 90
Special Defense = 85
Speed = 120

Days
  • Seen today
I mean it does give him a 4x times weakness to Ice and 2 weaknesses to Dragon and Fairy but it nullifies his fire weakness and gives him 4 times resistance to electric and water. But as FeraligatrMaster said, Sceptile is so frail he gets basically one shotted every time he's taking a super effective hit, even just 2 times effectiveness. On the other hand the dragon type could give him access to a Dragon type STAB, which is great since he can learn dragon pulse and dragon claw. You should also consider giving him dragon breath at level 22 or 23 I think. Other than that I think another Sceptile weakness is his attack stat. He's supposed to be a fast physical sweeper according to his movepool (Leaf blade, Rockslide, Earthquake or Dragon Claw) but he isn't. Swapping his special attack with physical attack stat could be the move but I don't think 85 stat in special attack would suit him since he still has access to Leaf Storm, Giga Drain and Dragon Pulse. I think you should make his Base stat total 535 like Swampert (may aswell do the same for blaziken), then give him 90 base stat in physcial attack, 110 in special attack by making his defense stat 60 (65 is already so low that it would change anything imo, he gets oneshotted anyway) then you can swap physcal and special attack stats and it would be great. So it would look like this :
HP = 70
Attack = 110
Defense = 60
Special Attack = 90
Special Defense = 85
Speed = 120
I also see this working :
Ability : Maxie (boost his attack stat when defeating a pokémon)
HP = 70
Attack = 105
Defense = 60
Special Attack = 95
Special Defense = 85
Speed = 120

Days
  • Seen today
For the typing, Dragon really is the only type making sense here, since all the other combinations aren't very fitting. If game freak made Blaziken Fire/Flying Sceptile could have been Dragon type, but they preferred Blaziken over him I guess. Like common they gave the chicken Speed Boost as Hidden ability and as a permanent ability to his mega, but Sceptile gained Unburden which I find pretyy useless since he already has 120 base stat in speed and the talent is kind of situational, and his mega gained Lightining rod like bruh he already has a 4 times resistance to Electric moves why making him to it ? He should have had Maxie or Technician like they did in pokémon radical red in my opinion.

Days
  • Seen today

Thanks man I'll check it out, you're right it might take me a lot of time but I have to get familiar with coding anyway so it won't hurt. But I just didn't understand this sentence (I don't know how to quote here) : "If you only want to edit the sprite, you only need to edit the shiny palette file." Were you talking about the shiny sprite or non-shiny Sceptile's sprite aswell ? Like I should have read "If you only want to edit the shiny sprite, you only need to edit the shiny palette file." right ? My question can seems dumb but I just want to make sure

Days
  • Seen today
There is another thing I'm not sure of, it's hidden abilities. Are they in the game ? When I use the debug menu and give myself a pokémon it proposes me the same ability twice, so I thought one is the hidden ability and the other one is the normal ability. If it's not the case and hidden abilites aren't in the game for now could you consider implementing them ? It could be a great new feature and would help making major battles harder aswell as buffing some pokémons, although it isn't a difficulty romhack.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
There is another thing I'm not sure of, it's hidden abilities. Are they in the game ? When I use the debug menu and give myself a pokémon it proposes me the same ability twice, so I thought one is the hidden ability and the other one is the normal ability. If it's not the case and hidden abilites aren't in the game for now could you consider implementing them ? It could be a great new feature and would help making major battles harder aswell as buffing some pokémons, although it isn't a difficulty romhack.

No, they are not going to be implemented. This hack tries to be as close to 3rd Gen as possible, and hidden abilities are not a 3rd Gen feature. Besides, the game has a pretty limited amount of abilities in comparison to newer gens so it would get repetitive pretty quickly.

Also, abilities are not going to change, especially for starters. Swapping Attack with Sp. Atk also doesn't feel right, so I think the best option would be increasing its BST to 535, changing the attack to 95, and lowering its defense to 60. This includes the type change to dragon, and adding dragon breath to its learnset. Starters, although Sceptile not being on the top, are still pretty powerful Pokémon.

Days
  • Seen today
No, they are not going to be implemented. This hack tries to be as close to 3rd Gen as possible, and hidden abilities are not a 3rd Gen feature. Besides, the game has a pretty limited amount of abilities in comparison to newer gens so it would get repetitive pretty quickly.

Also, abilities are not going to change, especially for starters. Swapping Attack with Sp. Atk also doesn't feel right, so I think the best option would be increasing its BST to 535, changing the attack to 95, and lowering its defense to 60. This includes the type change to dragon, and adding dragon breath to its learnset. Starters, although Sceptile not being on the top, are still pretty powerful Pokémon.
All good I just wanted to know about HA and your decision is totally understandable, tbh I forgot hidden abilities were only introduced in gen 5. For Sceptile's stats, I still see him as an physical attacker but since you gave him the dragon type and buff his attack stat to 95, he doesn't need the attack stats swapping anymore. Thanks for the changes man I'm looking forward for the next version. If I understood right I will have to start a game all over again right ? I can't do an update kind of thing

Days
  • Seen Apr 18, 2024
I've only just started playing this, but this hack is easily everything I've been looking for and then some. A couple of things I've noticed though:

Spoiler:

Also, when Fairy-type is enabled but the Physical-Special split is disabled, are Fairy-type moves considered Physical or Special?

ETA: My only complaint is that I'm not a fan of the quick escape from battles. L + R just feels very awkward to me; I'd prefer something like B → A (i.e. when in battle, pressing B automatically moves the cursor to Run, and A selects it).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I've only just started playing this, but this hack is easily everything I've been looking for and then some. A couple of things I've noticed though:

Spoiler:

Also, when Fairy-type is enabled but the Physical-Special split is disabled, are Fairy-type moves considered Physical or Special?

ETA: My only complaint is that I'm not a fan of the quick escape from battles. L + R just feels very awkward to me; I'd prefer something like B → A (i.e. when in battle, pressing B automatically moves the cursor to Run, and A selects it).
1. Typos are always fun, this one has been there for over a year and a half.
2. Tbh, since the HGSS pokedex is not mine, I didn't even notice that moves changed to contest moves. I'll see what I can do to fix it.
3. I'll think about that.

EDIT: And fairy is considered special.

Last edited:
Back