• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Names

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    First off, sorry if this has already been done :o

So, I was thinking about the names of Pokémon and how they relate to it, and, always one for a good discussion, decided to make one about this.
    I want to compile a big list on here of 'interpreted' names.
    If it is the first time a name has been Interpreted here, please lay it out like this.
    For instance;

EMBOAR

A combination of 'Ember' (the name's relation to fire) and 'Boar' (as the Pokémon is pig-like)

See what i mean?

Feel free to comment on each others' opinions as well but nothing nasty please ;D

agdragonrider

Years
  • COMBUSKEN

A combination of 'combustion' and 'chicken'.

At first I thought the "Comb" part in Combuskens name came from "combat", but I think combustion fits better actually.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2023
    I don't mean to be a complete buzzkill, but Bulbapedia already has all of this information on Pokemon articles under the subsection "Name Origin" (Example). It's still a really cool thing to talk about, though

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2013
    I don't mean to be a complete buzzkill, but Bulbapedia already has all of this information on Pokemon articles under the subsection "Name Origin" (Example). It's still a really cool thing to talk about, though
    Oops sorry my bad :0
    Oh well :)

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2020
    I thought Combusken was like... Combustion.... Anyway~
    Or noctowl~ Nocturnal owl.... Most of them are pretty fitting really.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Skitty...Sweet+kitty? That might make sense. Then Delcatty might be delicious+cat or delicacy+cat....but are we supposed to eat them? Idk...

Skitty comes from "skittish" and "kitty." Delcatty is derived from "delicate" and "catty."

At first, I didn't know what "Numel" meant, until I realized that it was the "Numb" Pokemon (numb + camel)

Years
  • Some interesting ones:

Elgyem
    Corruption of "LGM" (Little Green Man)

Beheeyem
    Corruption of "BEM" (Bug Eyed Monster)

Reuniclus
    "Reunite" + "Homonculus"

Gothitelle
    "Gothic" + "Mademoiselle" + "Tell"

Manectric
    "Mane" + "Electric"

Ambipom
    "Ambi" (meaning both) + "Palm" + "Pom Pom"

Years
  • Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard.

Coming of course from "Char" meaning "to burn slightly or scorch" and salamander, chameleon, and lizard. Interestingly enough it doesn't necessarily seem like the reptile types correspond to the pokémon builds.

Bethanie

Sound Soldier
    Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2012
    Well, I think pokemondb has some good ones.
    Some of them are a bit strange, like Golduck when Psyduck is obviously more gold.

Back