• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Online services to terminate

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2014
    I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but FC trading still goes right?

Years
  • I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but FC trading still goes right?

Nope, Friend Codes are involved in wi-fi as far as I'm aware of. You'll only be able to trade and battle locally (aka with two DS'es or a close-by player) after the wi-fi switchoff. The Friend Codes in X/Y aren't affected because those run off the 3DS system itself and not on the game.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • This...happens across the entire gaming industry. When a developer deems its online games technically obsolete or not nearly popular enough compared to their later iterations to justify continued service, the servers get turned off. Why should Pokémon be the exception to the standard, especially since Game Freak has gone to great lengths to make it easy to transfer your monsters forward every generation?
    AGREED! People need to understand this. Nintendo is business and like any other business one of their main goals is to make money. No matter how much a company like this wants to cater to their fans, they simply cannot afford to keep all systems they make online for the rest of time. Do you think the Wii-U will still have online capabilities in 20 years? Do you think if they make a successor to it that it will still have online capabilities in 50 years? This is going to be happening with all video game systems for as long as they are made. At least Nintendo tries to make the transition as pleasant as possible.

Back