• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hack Series: Pokémon Photonic Sun & Prismatic Moon

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2019
    Spoiler:

Editv2: Ignore this post, I have fixed it. Didn't see the update at the site I'm downloaded it. Thanks for this great hack!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Hello! I am here to report a bug in Prismatic Moon. I am unable to shop at the Pokemon Center right before the trial on Route 2 without the game freezing. I am playing on the citra nightly build, the game runs flawlessly otherwise.
    Hey, do you have the edited update installed? If so, are you playing rebalanced or standard? The mart freeze happens when the shop.cro file doesn't match the game version, which usually happens if the update is missing.
    "If you can find Ralts, Poochyena, Patrat or Bunnelby in the patch of grass where you get your starter, the hack is working."
    From the first page of this thread.

Grass 2 Levels: 2-3 Species Rate (%) Zigzagoon 15 Caterpie 15 Weedle 15 Pidgey 15 Scatterbug 15 Wurmple 15 0 Kricketot 0 15 Purrloin 10

Grass 3 Levels: 2-3 Species Rate (%) Bunnelby 20 Buneary 20 Patrat 15 Poochyena 15 Ralts 15 Sentret 15 0 Hoothoot 0 15

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure I'm suppose to find a Ralts, Patrat, etc because the grass patch immediately after your starter is suppose to be group 3. I'd link an image of the documentation but I can't yet. In addition, even if it was grass 2 that still doesn't explain why I saw both a Buneary and a Rattata in the same patch of grass despite them being in separate encounter groups?

***Edit***
    Turns out the encounter tables are properly implemented once you get the pokeballs it seems like. Makes sense I guess but it would be nice to have a heads up about this because I thought I installed the game improperly or something.

Ah ok, I misread. It might just be reading the tables wrong initially. I thought I had some weird encounters there but I didn't really check until after I went through some of the story and assumed I just read the map wrong. Try advancing and go back to see if it corrects.
    Hey sorry about the confusion over this, for whatever reason there are two separate sets of encounters for Route 1 and the initial set hasn't been edited properly. I'll add a note about it to the install docs until I can get a fix up for it.

Cool Sidenote about Greyn: Considering he's Ash's Greninja with the Battle Bond Ability, I used Island Scan after setting my device's time to the day that the episode where he and Ash part ways in XYZ aired, which was a Saturday, coincidentally enough.
    Nice team, that's an interesting coincidence!
    Is it safe to update the game version mid-playthrough? Or would I need to start fresh? (Something which I don't intend to do whatsoever.)
    On Citra btw.
    Yeah it's perfectly safe to update mid playthrough, the hack doesn't alter save data for now.

Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2020
    Thanks for the reply. I have actually updated the game and both work well. Good game

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    Glad to see you've added in some of the moveset updates from SWSH! I was wondering though, with regards to some of the new moves introduced, is there any way to bring them in? Discounting being able to literally input new moves, what occurred to me also as a possibility was sort of equivalent buffs to the Pokemon that benefited from those new moves. Just as an example of that, maybe access to Recover or Heal Pulse for Pokemon that gained Life Dew, or to emulate Body Press perhaps Pokemon that can make use of it could gain access to Power Trick instead, though with the likes of Steelix that might be a bit busted. Just spitballing ideas here though!

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Alright cool. So, how would I go about updating it? I tried the method from the Citra install guide with the Toolkit, but it could not find the banner file when extracting the .3ds file
    Updating it is the same process as building it the first time; if it worked before it should still work now. What's in your exefs folder after unpacking the ROM? There should be three files there, one of which is the banner file. If it's missing it's usually an issue with the tool or the ROM itself.

Glad to see you've added in some of the moveset updates from SWSH! I was wondering though, with regards to some of the new moves introduced, is there any way to bring them in? Discounting being able to literally input new moves, what occurred to me also as a possibility was sort of equivalent buffs to the Pokemon that benefited from those new moves. Just as an example of that, maybe access to Recover or Heal Pulse for Pokemon that gained Life Dew, or to emulate Body Press perhaps Pokemon that can make use of it could gain access to Power Trick instead, though with the likes of Steelix that might be a bit busted. Just spitballing ideas here though!
    I did add Recover to Primarina as a substitute for Life Dew, but most of the other Pokemon that got it already have a recovery move or don't really need one so that's covered. It'd be nice to figure out an equivalent for Body Press, but it's easier to make the Pokemon that want it no longer need it to do good damage (hopefully Dragon Dance and Coil are enough for Steelix alongside its Mega).

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2019
    Leveling up causes CTD after first Nursery. I had tried it multiple times. I've thought it first it was about giving Abra and Ralts daycare but tried to take them and leveling, it happened again. After that I thought it is about leveling Lucario up. Tried with all of my pokemons. Any pokemon level up causes CTD. It didn't happen before. After Paniola Nursery it happened. So it might be about the place maybe. I will try to level up in different locations now. I will report here if i got it another location.

Edit: Tried it, it happens in anywhere. I might be broke my savegame file with using some cheats tho. I was trying Hold shift to show iv/ev cheat. Other cheats worked well but show IV/EV cheat didn't work for me. Forgot to disable before saving so it might corrupt save data. I really don't know.

I will start the game again from beginning. I really wanted that "show IV/EV cheat" so much. If that is the problem, it would be bad for me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2019
    I'm having a problem with the new encounters, the pokémons added on the grass are not showing up, for example Route 1- Grass 3, Ralts, Poochyena and Patrat are not showing up, I have already completed the first trial and I stayed 2 hours on the Verdant Cavern trying to find Axew or Onix, same for Grass 3.
    I did something wrong on the installation? My version is the standard one, and I made sure that the professor said Photonic Sun in the beginning.

edit: just to confirm that the mod is working but not the new encounters, I verified if the npc's are selling what the mod says that they would be selling after the first trial, and they are selling what was supposed to be selling.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Leveling up causes CTD after first Nursery. I had tried it multiple times. I've thought it first it was about giving Abra and Ralts daycare but tried to take them and leveling, it happened again. After that I thought it is about leveling Lucario up. Tried with all of my pokemons. Any pokemon level up causes CTD. It didn't happen before. After Paniola Nursery it happened. So it might be about the place maybe. I will try to level up in different locations now. I will report here if i got it another location.

Edit: Tried it, it happens in anywhere. I might be broke my savegame file with using some cheats tho. I was trying Hold shift to show iv/ev cheat. Other cheats worked well but show IV/EV cheat didn't work for me. Forgot to disable before saving so it might corrupt save data. I really don't know.

I will start the game again from beginning. I really wanted that "show IV/EV cheat" so much. If that is the problem, it would be bad for me.
    I suspect that's either the cheats or a bad ROM dump causing that, but it's strange for a cheat code that doesn't modify the save to break something so severely.

I'm having a problem with the new encounters, the pokémons added on the grass are not showing up, for example Route 1- Grass 3, Ralts, Poochyena and Patrat are not showing up, I have already completed the first trial and I stayed 2 hours on the Verdant Cavern trying to find Axew or Onix, same for Grass 3.
    I did something wrong on the installation? My version is the standard one, and I made sure that the professor said Photonic Sun in the beginning.

edit: just to confirm that the mod is working but not the new encounters, I verified if the npc's are selling what the mod says that they would be selling after the first trial, and they are selling what was supposed to be selling.
    Do the wild Pokemon levels match the documents, or are they unchanged too? You can check by going to Route 3 and looking for a Pokemon that is either level 9 or level 13; if a level 9 mon shows up, the entire encounters file is unmodified, but if a level 13 mon appears then there's an issue with the modified encounters file.

Also, are you playing on citra or a 3DS?

how did you update the hack version? I can't figure out how.
    I can't PM you for some reason, but I think you can safely ignore that error; if it happens while extracting and it continues extracting anyway (or it's finished by that point) it's probably not an issue. AFAIK USUM isn't supposed to have a banner.bnr file (my copy definitely doesn't have one at least). You can verify that the extraction went okay by checking how many files are in the romfs folder; there should be around 747 of them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2019
    the wild Pokemon levels match the documents, or are they unchanged too? You can check by going to Route 3 and looking for a Pokemon that is either level 9 or level 13; if a level 9 mon shows up, the entire encounters file is unmodified, but if a level 13 mon appears then there's an issue with the modified encounters file.

Also, are you playing on citra or a 3DS?

I'm on citra, the pokémons on Route 3 are level 12 (some of them level 9 and 11 but so far none is 13).

edit: I searched for the route 3 pokémons and levels on bulbapedia, and it matches my results, they range are from 9-12 and the pokemons that I saw are also the same, so yeah that pretty much confirms it that something is wrong, also just to be sure that the hack is actually active I searched from ways to get great balls on the vanilla version, you need 4 trials to be completed to buy them at every shop, but on the mod is just 1, and I can already buy great balls at shop's with just 1 trial done.
    There's a way to fix this problem?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    I'm on citra, the pokémons on Route 3 are level 12 (some of them level 9 and 11 but so far none is 13).

edit: I searched for the route 3 pokémons and levels on bulbapedia, and it matches my results, they range are from 9-12 and the pokemons that I saw are also the same, so yeah that pretty much confirms it that something is wrong, also just to be sure that the hack is actually active I searched from ways to get great balls on the vanilla version, you need 4 trials to be completed to buy them at every shop, but on the mod is just 1, and I can already buy great balls at shop's with just 1 trial done.
    There's a way to fix this problem?
    Yeah, so that means that the wild encounters file wasn't copied over during the build process somehow (I've tested it to make sure it wasn't a mistake on my end). To fix it you just need to rebuild the ROM; you can use your edited one and skip all the steps related to the exeFS/code.bin and title updates, only the romfs part needs updating.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2019
    Yeah, so that means that the wild encounters file wasn't copied over during the build process somehow (I've tested it to make sure it wasn't a mistake on my end). To fix it you just need to rebuild the ROM; you can use your edited one and skip all the steps related to the exeFS/code.bin and title updates, only the romfs part needs updating.

Sorry for being dumb but using your guide on the documents as reference, which part should I redo again? The entire part 3?

edit: okay I re-did Part Two of the guide, I tried the output's rom format decrypted CCI and 0-key encrypted CCI, both of them continue to show the same problem, the hack is working (my kadabra evolved to alazakam with happiness) but the mon's of the route 3 still are level 9 to 12 and no new encounters. Any ideia of what is happening? its my original rom or something got corrupted while I was doing the rom hack download?

Last edited:
    Years
  • What I learned about the extraction issue is that after continuing past the error, it doesn't finish. I closed it after 20 minutes or so and all the files are in the Output folder save the Romfs and ExeFS folders. Any ideas?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Sorry for being dumb but using your guide on the documents as reference, which part should I redo again? The entire part 3?

edit: okay I re-did Part Two of the guide, I tried the output's rom format decrypted CCI and 0-key encrypted CCI, both of them continue to show the same problem, the hack is working (my kadabra evolved to alazakam with happiness) but the mon's of the route 3 still are level 9 to 12 and no new encounters. Any ideia of what is happening? its my original rom or something got corrupted while I was doing the rom hack download?
    Go to the luma\titles\00040000001B5100\romfs\a\0\8 folder in the hack's files and check that there's a file there named 2. If it's missing, re-download the hack, and if it's there, manually copy it to the same location in the romfs of the ROM you're building. This is the file that contains all the wild Pokemon data, so if it's not there in the ROM they won't be changed.
    What I learned about the extraction issue is that after continuing past the error, it doesn't finish. I closed it after 20 minutes or so and all the files are in the Output folder save the Romfs and ExeFS folders. Any ideas?
    Maybe try a different tool to rebuild the ROM; either Asia 81's toolkit or an earlier version of the dotnet toolkit. It's strange that everything worked before but isn't working now though.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2019
    Go to the luma\titles\00040000001B5100\romfs\a\0\8 folder in the hack's files and check that there's a file there named 2. If it's missing, re-download the hack, and if it's there, manually copy it to the same location in the romfs of the ROM you're building. This is the file that contains all the wild Pokemon data, so if it's not there in the ROM they won't be changed.

Thanks it worked, for some reason in the folder there was no 2 file but a 3.

Years
    • Seen today
    I can't make them work on my New3DS. Lastest luma and firmware update.

Tried everything I could, even tried in UM/US with and without update but crashes at the start with an arm11 error on both games. The games work fine with other hacks and without them. No other patches or cheats were used.

Years
  • I'm still uncertain how to update the game version. Is there a video on it or a pdf guide?
    Edit: the rom hack's version, from 1.3.4 (I think), to 2.0, not the game's version.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2022
    Hi, thanks for making the rom hack.
    I'm having the Mart Freeze on route 1/2 as well. I'm using both the latest rabalanced and extra files for citra provided on your drive link. I've followed the installation steps thoroughly, and I'm still having the mart freeze bug. I've tried with different shop.cro files on both the rom and the update, and the error still exists. Maybe you accidentaly uploaded the wrong shop.cro file? Either way, I've looked at all the past replies, tried everything mentioned, built and rebuilt both the game AND the update several times, tried every shop.cro combination possible (using the ones in the rebalanced folder and the one in the citra extra files folder) and the issue was not solved :/ Could it be something else besides the Shop.cro file? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? NGL, Im quite confused lol
    Thanks in advance fam :]

Last edited:
    Back